ESPN Has Seen the Future of TV and They’re Not Really Into It

Entire article at:
bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-03-30/espn-has-seen-the-future-of-tv-and-they-re-not-really-into-it
March 30, 2017

ESPN Has Seen the Future of TV and They’re Not Really Into It

As more fans cut the cord and go mobile, the network is busy protecting its cable-TV money machine.

SportsCenter is only part of the problem. ESPN has lost more than 12 million subscribers since 2011, according to Nielsen, and the viewership erosion seems to be accelerating. Last fall, ESPN lost 621,000 subscribers in a single month, the most in the company’s history. The losses have helped depress Disney’s stock price—down 7 percent since August 2015, despite a big jump in the company’s film revenue thanks to a string of hits, including the latest Star Wars film, Rogue One. John Malone, the cable entrepreneur and chairman of Liberty Media Corp., has publicly suggested that Disney would be better off selling ESPN.

Other urls found in this thread:

rethink-wireless.com/2016/07/19/the-reasons-why-5g-can-never-happen/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ESPN is a politics channel now

and that is a crowded market, they should have stuck to sports

and being the most expensive channel doesnt help... good work Disney

ESPN decided to become tmz for niggers. I don't watch anything on ESPN that isn't live sports. Not even sports center.

>next up we have little Wayne's nfl playoff predictions

I guess Dan Marino is busy. Let's listen to the 5 foot nigger who never put a pair of cleats on.

Why doesn't Disney sell ESPN if it really is putting a significant dent in their stocks?

I just want to finally see the advertising bubble crash that's been coming for years.

>2017
>still expecting to recoup billions of dollars spent on sports rights through advertising fees

ESPN is especially fucked because they have spent a fortune on american sports ($7B on college football alone) irrelevant worldwide. The PL is only propped up by the Asian market. BT and Sky are suffering just like ESPN.

Companies don't sell things until they start losing money, and ESPN is still bringing in a huge chunk of Disney's revenue and profits, even as it declines.

>He pays for cable

Why the hell would anyone do that? Just leech off people that pay for it.

Have hundreds of logins for any ((premium)) site and I never have to worry about anything.

>cable companies dying horrible deaths since they refuse to adapt

Lovely.

There's no need for a 24/7 sports channel with the Internet now. They're only good for live games at this point.

>cable companies dying horrible deaths since they refuse to adapt

Oh, they're adapting all right.

The cable companies are also the Internet service providers and their plan is to make up the money lost from consumers dropping cable tv, by imposing strict bandwidth caps and charging their customers out the ass if they go over their monthly quota (or you can up-grade to the next higher package...)

And with the advent of wide scale streaming, the bandwidth used goes up massively and with mom, dad and the kids all streaming all day erry day, consumers are going to end up paying as much or more then they do now for cable tv.

>I just want to finally see the advertising bubble crash that's been coming for years.

This. Burn in all down, especially European football. Sick of this shit.

>that fucking monstrous image when you open the page

>Disne!yspn.com

Perhaps people simply can't afford it anymore. This never seems to be mentioned. Millions of Americans broke as fuck right now. I bet a lot of people don't have a choice but to cancel to save some shekels.

Most people realize they don't even really watch cable anymore. Paying for cable or satellite was more of a thing to achieve social status in the 80's or 90's but has since been over taken by Twitter and Facebook.
Why pay for 100 channels that you don't even watch when you could get a Prime membership or Netflix?

>Sky are suffering just like ESPN
did dont Sky is ok with F1 (besides the races are very boring)?

>imposing strict bandwidth caps and charging their customers out the ass if they go over their monthly quota (or you can up-grade to the next higher package...)

This is real, here in Brazil we had to create a law banning it, besides is not official yet, but it seems that our politicans will aprove for popular pressure

ESPN went full Social Justice Warrior and it cost them millions of subscribers

should stick to sports without stupid social commentary

Yeah, all the retarded cord cutting "rebels" don't get this simple fact.

NBA are smart kikes for selling league passes. Even I'm thinking about getting it just so I won't get like on ProSport

Disney agenda

yup. this is already the practice is cuckada

exactly. all that on demand material at your fingertips. plus amazon prime is like $100/yr while netflix bills $10/month. it's cheap as fuck when you realize a bundled plan of cable/internet/phone is going to cost you $120/month. you could pay almost a third if you just axe the cable and phone.

I only have internet at my place and its $50/month. my parents literally just got a bill for $160/month and they have a 30mb connection standard phone and 100+ channels no hbo/showtime shit.

sports are shit

espn along with this board proves it doesn't need to be more than a section in a newspaper and thatsit

except rogers is doing it to pay for the jays/craptors/laffs ineptitude, not to recoup losses from cable.

>it's poorfags act like not having cable/satellite isn't exclusively for low income trash episode

well that and propping up the actuarial deficiencies in the teachers pension fund

>he can't afford directv

BASED
A
S
E
D

>my parents literally just got a bill for $160/month and they have a 30mb connection standard phone and 100+ channels no hbo/showtime shit.

I really don't understand why people pay for a land line nowadays, when EVERYBODY has a cell phone?!

Almost all of of my friends have the pay-out-the-ass package with cable/internet/phone, yet their land line literally never rings but they keep paying for it month after month anyways....

"oh but it's such a good deal, user!"
"but, nobody ever calls?"
"sure, but we get all three for one price!"
"but nobody ever fucking calls!"

share one for Brazzers lad

Wouldn't be an issue if cable weren't expensive as fuck due to equipment leasing fees and licensing fees.

The fact that cable companies don't allow people to pick and choose exactly what channels they want is also a reason.

>changing needs of the market
>double down and keep investing in what worked ten years ago

Truly a model for success.

throwing in the landline is the equivalent of the fast food combo.

if you do the math, you're basically paying for the burger and fries and getting the soda for free (which costs them about 1 cent overhead anyway). Sure, you could just buy only the shit you actually want, but WHAT A SAVINGS.

I presume everyone these days has the same two choices I do in my area:
1) Overpay for a fast ISP with shit customer service, like Comcast or whatever, OR
2) Pay a reasonable price for slower, shittier internet, not get to stream all that you want (particularly ESPN3), in my case CenturyLink, your local provider may vary.

>paying hundreds of dollars a month just so you can brainwashed by disneys far left kike propaganda

Thank you for this quick rundown.

if anything, sports broadcasts lean pretty conservative

just, y'know, not as conservative as the current party in power, which make Dick Cheney look like Timothy Leary.

im sure they lost a nice amount when they ran that stupid tranny wresting story 500 times

>girl taking testosterone has to compete with other girls
>absolutely dominates them cause SHES TAKING TESTOSTERONE
>this is inspiring somehow

just start the baseball season so i can migrate to mlb network

SPORTS SHOULDNT BE ABOUT POLITICS AT ALL YOU KIKE SHIT PEOPLE WATCH SPORTS TO ESCAPE POLITICS REERHOWEHONFHOEWFNDERWFNFNEFW

USA ca. 2017

You might have missed the point there senpai. They were saying she should have been allowed to compete with the boys because of the testosterone, because it gave her literal super-strength

>sports exists so i can ignore what's going on in the world around me

You're the reason a 70-year-old twice-divorced reality-TV star is President.

as opposed to the 70 year old wife of an impeached former president

as a neutral observer, I'd say the reason trump is president has more to do with retards like you pushing their propaganda until the other side got tired

That was part of the reason, trump election was a reactionary cultural backlash against the rise of the social justice movement ruining every form of media.

Fucking feminists just coudnt let nerds have their video games, could they

If the NFL ever decided to start streaming every game online (including full replays) I would absolutely never buy a TV for anything but the few times I play console games. (I'll likely get a Switch over the summer.) I feel like they have muscle to do it and choke out cable providers even further.

>lean pretty conservative
>ESPN's lineup is filled to the brim with diversity hires that preach SJW horseshit for 80% of the airtime
ya okay m8

>"This is our Stalingrad"
That post was so right about it all, we had no idea.

People are better off watching or listening to local broadcasts anyway.

NFL tv rights are in the billions of dollars

If streaming revenue surpasses that, NFL will officially be it's own broadcast entity

>If streaming revenue surpasses that, NFL will officially be it's own broadcast entity

The way things are going with streaming, the NFL soon won’t ESPN or the broadcast networks.

The NFL can cut out the middle men and just hire a handful of computer geeks to run their own streaming site.

Of course there's those bandwidth caps...

>living in a area with cell coverage
Have fun at the rat races tommorow citycuck

lmao rekt millenial faget

Most people. Not everyone can stand Clyde Drexler

When 5G comes out these monopolies will end. Your phone will be able to stream whatever you want into your home faster than any fiber optic networks available today. Their time is coming.

I dont know why the NFL, NBA, and every other sports league start their own streaming service.
WWE has their own network and got millions of subscribers.
ESPN needs to die, especially kike leftwing ESPN

Sky F1 coverage is shit, terrible presenters, terrible commentators and lots of Baby Lewis Hamilton buttlicking. And no, F1 viewership is declining hard.

How would you feel about a world where facebook/twitter has exclusive rights to major sporting events? I think we're headed down that road.

>When 5G comes out

Won't be for at least a decade.

no they said it should be by 2020 or even sooner, we have 4g already. maybe in ireland it'll come later.

rethink-wireless.com/2016/07/19/the-reasons-why-5g-can-never-happen/

>5g can never happen
And back in the 1800s the commissioner of the US patent office said "Everything that can be invented has been invented"

And what makes you think mobile data plans are magically gonna become cheaper than fiber optic connections?

>it's only because of cord cutters, g-guys
>not at all because we force nigger drama and SJW shit everywhere

>cable finally dies
>now you have to pay for 25+ different streaming services to be able to watch the shows you want
the Jew cycle continues

You're right, I remember growing up if you had cable you had extra money to spend. Then next thing you know it was satellite with a thousand channels, etc.

Honestly this, me and my girlfriend pay 130$ a month for cable and internet services, but we watch mainly Netflix for 10$ a month. If it wasn't for sports we would have just internet.

reminder that everyone who says it's about politics are the real axe grinders

pay tv/cable subscriptions are declining worldwide as a natural result of internet streaming and rising inequality

This. And mobile companies are starting to properly meet their customer's needs with SIM only contracts. Honestly if you get a cheap/ mid range phone so you're not on a contract for the phone, deals for the SIM are insane. I get 2gb of data, unlimited texts 500 minutes to people not on my carrier and unlimited to people on my carrier for £10 a month.

All people are saying is it's an accelerant.

Which is the case.

ESPN started losing millions of subscribers right around the time Michael Sam was drafted

Most people watch sports for free online now.

How much is your data plan? Mine is roughly the same as what I pay for "high speed" data already. Even if it did cost more I'd be eliminating the landline internet bill and I'm already paying for both.

On a related note:

>not having directv so you can watch all your live sports

Oh right you poorfags think stream quality is the same as real tv.

Why couldn't you have just posted that wall of text in this thread instead of creating a whole new thread for the same topic like a narcissistic asshole

>Companies don't sell things until they start losing money
this is insanely false, and i hope nobody actually took it as fact.

however, i believe ESPN is still profitable enough that its not worth anything they could sell it for.

this is one of my favorite falsehoods paraded around here. other sports networks have also bled subscribers.

-> touchy, touchy tsk tsk

It’s a different story from a different source by a different journalist, it rates it’s own thread (which you don’t have to participate in if you don’t want to).

As for “wall of text”; why force people to go to some shitty click-bait site to read the article, when the text can easily be posted in Sup Forums where the actual conversation is happening? And really, it’s not like I posted all of Clash of Kings of something.

"all people are saying is it's an accelerant"
for one, no, many people are attributing declines primarily to ESPN's "political" leanings

also, there's not much data to suggest that this has been a meaningful accelerant.

I didn't mean wall of text as an insult, copy pasting it was a good thing you did, thank you for it. It was justthe easiest way to describe it.

I still think it's relevant enough to this thread to have just been posted here. Hell, even the author mentions and alludes to the magazine in this OP in bis article.

ESPN's collapsing harder than it's peers.

What I don't understand is why don't these companies find a way to offer a decent streaming services? High-speed, high-quality, reliable streaming, I think every sports fan would happily pay like $20 per month for that rather than having to try to find a free illegal one.

Instead we get shitty overpriced cable packages, where we only want 3 or 4 channels but get 50, and the only time streaming is offered it's utter shit.

ESPN are the assholes that gave Bruce Jenner a "courage award" for his mental illness.

I hope they all die in a fire.

All I care about is PTI

Doesn't work like that.

There's going to be some crafty fuckers out there that create a system that compresses shit, or whatever, dropping bandwith usage.

>why would you ever drop your cable, goyim?

JUDEN
U
D
E
N

maybe ESPN should have covered hockey more

fuckin faggots

Imagine a room full of people who think you should die in a fire. Try and go out in front of them.

Its not just cable, there are other industries that have seen a shift as people realize just how much money they waste on a service or product that they see is not worth investing in. For example the budget phone segment has expanded tremendously as people realized they don't need to spend $800 on a phone when a $300 one can get the job done.
Cell companies learned the hardway as consumers were tired of paying high prices, so they adapted, which in turn helped moved the industry forward some (better speeds, cheaper plans etc.)

>Doesn't work like that.

Sure it does, because this;

>a system that compresses shit, or whatever, dropping bandwith usage.

Doesn't exist.

I spent 3 years dodging sandniggers trying to kill me with small arms, RPG, indirect fire, and IED's.

I gives a fuck about what a room full of faggots would think about me, cupcake.

Yet.

This. They're going full pc WE NEED WOMEN AND COLORED WOMEN IN EVERYTHING. Focus on sports and cut that shit.

it also costs more than its peers

I think you're engaging in some motivated reasoning here m8

I heard an interview with the 2 black people hosting the 6PM SC and they said the show wasn't going to show highlights but instead talk about social issues and twitter memes, and during the whole interview the guy was throwing out the most stereotypical "look I'm a black guy" things like talking about Scarface and quoting 20 year old Snoop Dogg songs. I might occasionally watch SC if they just ran through quick game summaries with highlights like they used to but all of the politics, panel discussions, and human interest pieces are just brutal to sit through. I know the internet made highlight TV shows obsolete but their answer to that problem has been to put out a bunch of shit nobody wants instead.

How many times has this happened:
>next topic is supposed to be them talking about your team or showing a highlight you want to see
>go to commercial
>comes back to some 11 minute human interest story about a girl with no feet who became a distance runner

ESPN is already dead to me.

How many confirmed kills do you have?

ESPN died before any of this happened. They didn't lose subscribers because they were left wing and political, they became left wing and political solely because they were losing subscribers.

ESPN is a dying medium. Everyone says they would rather watch 60 mins of sports highlights but they're just bullshitting while wearing nostalgia goggles.

99% of my sports highlights come from Youtube or Facebook, and the only sport I can't legally watch highlights whenever I want is the NFL due to Goodell being an asshole. ESPN is useless outside of live sports--where they have to continuously compete with other networks.

Thus they rode the bandwagon of the only people who still unilaterally love and play sports (blacks), while tapping into a new market of people who they want to get into sports (liberals, SJWs).

Pretty much this.

They know they're losing with the young people, they see that most young people who have abandoned sports are liberal SJW types and they hope to ring them back in by talking about activist athletes.