Going to the US for the first time, how does tipping work...

Going to the US for the first time, how does tipping work? Do I just hand all the money including the tip to the waiter or do I pay the bill first and then give the waiter some of my change? Also when paying with credit card, do I hand him the card + tip or separately?

And what do I say?

If you use a CC, you pay the bill first, and they will bring you a receipt for you to fill in the tip and sign off on it.

If you are paying with cash, include the tip and tell the waiter to keep the change.

Also, tipping is 15 -20%.
10% Hope you die in a car accident on your way home
15% old people and cheap fuckers
18% by the book idiots that will pull out a calculator.
20% typical tip by people that are not shitheads
25% Elite service or your waitress has huge tits and a nice ass.

here's a tip for you, stay out of my country

/thread. PS, protip for autists that can't calculate 20% tip in your head, move the decimal one to the left and multiply that by 2.. ie bill is $14.00, $1.40x2= $2.80

Alright thanks, and do I tip everywhere or just the fancier places?

careful with the edge there, Drumpf

You tip at sit down restaurants. Not at like fast food places. If you have to go to a counter and get your own food and drink, you do not tip. If you sit down and a server comes up to you and takes your order and shit, you tip.

Or $2.00 for every 10 bucks you spend or $1 for every $5 you spend.

This guy is mostly right, although he's inflating the amounts a bit. Around 15% is standard for average service. 10% is acceptable for poor service. Anything lower should be reserved for absolute shit-tier service. I've only left less than 10% a couple times. Likewise 20% is for good service, and anything above that should be reserved for something really exceptional.

It's just as much mine and I want tourist's money in our economy.

I seriously hope that this is a joke. You can't possibly be serious about this.

You're someone that pulls out the calculator. You're also probably the person that comes in for a meal 3 minutes before closing time cause "they're still open for 30 more minutes". GTFO here. Don't listen to this guy OP. Dude is fucking bitch.

>Entitlement, the post

Heh heh.. DARSH.. Heh

Dead serious sir. I serve and manage a restaurant.

why the fuck would I tip anyway, if Im. visiting the US it's costly enough as it is

This. I tip higher than 20% for extra special service or if I'm trying to build a relationship with the business. If I'm at a bar the first few times I go in I tip the bartenders really well so they remember me the next time and give me extra attention.

Call it what you wanna call it. I make bank. This is just serving. I easily make 300-500 a night bartending.

This guy knows how to play the system. Nice.

if the service is shit, im not tipping anything fuck that, the employer should just pay enough money to the employee, if service is excellent, then i tip only

Also, my shifts are like 4-5 hours.

lol. fag

lol, entitled amerifag

>You're someone that pulls out the calculator.

I don't need a calculator to figure out 15%

>You're also probably the person that comes in for a meal 3 minutes before closing time cause "they're still open for 30 more minutes".

Not really, no.

>Don't listen to this guy OP. Dude is fucking bitch.

Sure, listen to the guy that's obviously a server. He'll give you unbiased advice on what to tip and won't inflate the numbers at all.

How is that entitlement?

Why would I give a fuck about inflating numbers? This dude isn't coming to my restaurant. I'm telling you what people in the restaurant industry think with that certain percentage. 15% is weak shit. 20% is normal. 18% is still cheap but at least they are sticking to a higher standard. 20% is standard. You're a cheap fuck or your poor. Plain and simple.

Yes, especially malls and retail stores. Those people get so mad at you when you don't tip. Its also acceptable to tip someone who may hold a door open for you if it's at a bigger place. Don't forget to tip anyone you may ask for directions. It's etiquette here.

I gave my tip to your mom. She was thankful.

spooki thread
Do you believe in ghosts and why? Also true ghost stories if you got (if they're fake at least make them sound real)
I'll start with mine below

>Why would I give a fuck about inflating numbers? This dude isn't coming to my restaurant. I'm telling you what people in the restaurant industry think with that certain percentage.

Yes, exactly, you're telling us what you want to be tipped, not what is a normal amount to tip.

Of course people in the restaurant industry are going to inflate the average amounts when they tell people what to tip.

But I wouldn't trust a server to give me unbiased advice on what is a normal tip, just like I wouldn't trust a used car salesman to give me unbiased advice on what a used car is worth.

who the fuck cares if they think you are cheap, what are they doing exactly that justifies paying a fucking 20% extra, bringing your food? lol.. not exactly rocketscience is it, im all for tipping but damnit, dont go assuming just because you bring over my food which is your bloody job and are already getting paid for, you are entitled an extra twenty %.. djeesz for 20% i expect a blowjob in addition at least, fuck that charity system

Just leave afew bucks. Alot of waiters will understand if you are from another country. For one person 2-3 dollars is more than enough if you even want to tip.

Because tipping is usually upwards of 15% (not even kidding), try not to eat out very much.

That's my advice.

>this
I'm a waiter, this is accurate

You're a genuine faggot dude. And a cheap or poor motherfucker. SO no one cares what you think. Keep being an asshole dick head.

I'm sure you've eaten fecal matter if you visit the same restaurant. lol. Keep being you bro.

No, don't listen to this faggot either. OP if you tell the server you're from another country or have an accent, you will be give really shitty service cause servers know about foreigners. If you give the server their tip upfront or tell them they will get a 20% tip, you will be treated like a king.

lol, poor fag. This dude eats at Chilis on the regular. lol

Thank you for a little support. These idiots think I'm making this shit up like a used car salesman. Fucking cheap fuckers.

I can’t undertand why sandwich places like Togo’s or jimmy johns ask for tips on the computer when you’re paying for the sandwich. How the fuck do you tip someone for making a god damn sandwich?

What am I fucking missing?

Unless these fuckers are having a full convo with me or smiling and super upbeat all the time, these faggots, like the poor people in Africa, are not getting a fucking penny from me.

/thread

And after reading this read and some anons calling other anons for being cheap because of % are acting super entitled.

You don’t need an education to be a waiter or waitress. You are doing a monkeys job. All you need to do is play nice, write some words and numbers down and carry some plates to customers. It’s not rocket science nor is it hard. I worked for foodmaxx for two years. I worked as a UC, PC and a forklift driver for stocking. As a UC, I helped customers bring their groceries to their car and put it into their trunks. I had offers for tips but company policy wouldn’t allow me to accept them. When looking back at it, I was fine without accepting the tips because I knew what my job was and that what I was getting paid for met my work.

Complaining that someone didn’t give you a tip for being nice and walking their food just means you are a child and you think the world owes you something.

I now work for ICEE and I do projects for their units and for Starbucks doing their nitrogen cold brew and their reverse osmosis systems and water softener. If you don’t like he tip then get a better job.

You're sour as fuck. lol. I could care less about the faggot thoughts in your head. I'm making more money than a specialized doctor bartending. No college needed. lol. A doctor spends over 200,000 dollars on an education and makes as much as a bartender in a rich neighborhood. I'm not sour at all. Keep bitching and being a bitch and leaving bitch tips. No one cares. You're insignificant, and when you tip and leave, everyone talks shit about you, your appearance, the job you probably have, and the sex life you don't have. You are ridiculed. But you're probably use to that. What's it like to be poor?

Like I said. You feel entitled and I’m not sour. You’re the one sour about me never tipping lol

No, cause I don't know you. I don't have customers that don't tip. lol. And if I did, I would fuck with their food or their beverages. Super ez to do. And if you kept not tipping you'd have little to no service. Your food would be late, you get less alcohol at the same price. I mean, I don't have customers that don't tip, especially at the place I'm at now. Its a 5 star restaurant so broke motherfuckers can't afford it. The poor fags are funneled into chilis and applebees. So I could care less about that shit. I make DAMN GOOD MONEY, in a place you can't afford. So keep being poor. :)

Yeah and get sued and shut down you fucking moron. Tipping is not mandatory i will literally uppercut you if you complained I didn't tip.

I made $1300 bucks in 3 days. And I get to drink at work and I get the best free food in the city. Plus the hottest chicks come in to flirt. I went to one of their Halloween Parties and there were so many hot girls there. OMG i wanted to fuck all of them. But I ended up baking the chick that invited me. Its like having a job that encourages you to be a social person. And the drunker they get the more money comes your way. I'm the real therapist. lol.

Sounds like a proper fag this kid lol.

lol. Who are you gonna complain to? No one cares about poor people. Its a fact of life. Also, I wouldn't complain about you, I'd just fuck with you the next time you came in. I'd also tell my co workers to treat you shitty. And they would. lol. This is a system you cannot win against.

Im 32 bro. lol. 32 and banging 18 year old hostesses on the regular. I love my job.

I found out just the other day that we can not tip at drive throughs.

Tip at drive thrus? Wtf?

You REALLY think just cause you work there it gives you some kind of immunity? I cannot wait till your ass gets handed to you, i would do it myself if i knew where you worked at.

Again you feel entitled enough to ruin people’s food and drinks because you want free money. I hope you do realize that, if it’s true that you are getting paid what you claim, it isn’t forever. As you get older you will get less tips and you will have a bad future. I’m union and I’m getting paid currently $20 an hour. Within 10 years I will be getting paid $60 an hour + benefits and I come out fixing my own shit because I have the knowledge to do so from my experience. The only experience you’ll have is making a damn good drink to forget your sorrow. Plus I live in Silicon Valley so I’m not exactly poor.

Whoa wait a fucking minute.

Are you actually telling me I need to tip everyone in a service job if I go to America? what the fuck?

why am I giving away free money to you? if you hate your fucking job leave it. I sure as shit aren't just bankrupting myself to feed you fat fucks.

Um, ya kinda. Even if I fuck up, my superiors love me enough to not give a fuck. Its a number game my man. If I provide great service, and I have 99 people telling me I'm great and one little poor bitch says that I suck, who gives a fuck? Not me. Not my boss. I'm being more than honest with you, if you tip shitty or just a shitty customer, you become the joke of the restaurant. Everyone will talk about you and others will be warned. And when you enter the establishment again, the original server will warn the other servers about you. And then you get shitty service cause the server already knows you're a shit head. Recently there was a problematic guest in our restaurant. We gave him multiple chances, but they way he tipped and interacted with customers got him banned. He's no longer allowed in the restaurant cause he's a bitch. I could not be more honest with you when I tell you that you are the bad guy like 99% of the time if you complain. We don't care. WE REMEMBER YOU. And you always wonder why you have such shit service lol. No one likes you.

Nigger just divide by 5. If that's too hard for you, multiply by 2 and divide by 10. I'm American and even I know this shit.

>the average is now 20%
Just for this post my new personal average tip will be 10%

Ya, well I'm not just a bartender and manager. lol. I make crazy bank as a tattoo artist. I have 2 of my own businesses and I'm a manager. So i'm not relying on my job to provide retirement. I'm not a little bitch. Plus my investments in weed, has tripled my worth. I will be a millionaire in about 5 more years with my investments. So go fuck yourself poor fag. Your angry cause you don't have a plan in life. You just take it up the ass with what life comes at you with. ALSO, i just sold a painting I made for $1200. It took me less than a day to make it. Ha ha ha.

I love my job. I hope we bomb your faggot poor country.

Went to America last year .. New Orleans, Austin, etc for 2 weeks.. didn't tip once.. lots of weird looks but who cares.. fuck Americans

Cool, you couldn't afford my restaurant. Go fuck over more poor people at applebees.

Euros think they are much classier and Superior but don't tip lol

3rd world country? lol. Its like trying to diss the cool kids at a party. Guess what, you're still the loser. If you're not American you're a loser.

Or
>0% service was shit, food sucked, or place has roaches
This includes paying for anything at the place.

Says the douche bag hurr durr murican.. the entire world thinks you're all a bunch of redneck, obese, idiots ... your empire will fall, probably in your life time and you'll be cucked by China .. have fun walking around with slopey eyed grandchildren

Have you ever really been to a place like this? lol. If you pay for the food in a roach infested environment you are an idiot.

This

Haha nice one fag, surprised you didn't get thrown out

BTW no joke I was at a food court at Disney and this whole British family left their trays all their shit and trash at the table and got up and left. All the americans are like wtf. Euros have bad table manners and etiquette when it comes to eating in restaurants and public places

>your restaurant
Lol, you mean the restaurant that you slave your life away in while the Jews who run it are on vacation in the Bahamas, you mean.

You're probably more than right, That's why I have decided not to have children. I fuck chicks on the pill all the time. Much younger than I am. Fucking amazing shit. I'm also kinda fat, but it doesn't seem to affect much. If anything it helps me out. Woman are less scared of a fat dude, then they are with a chad with one thing on their mind. But say what you will. My life is stress free, and I get pussy that smells amazing. OMG. I wish I could show you the last pussy i fucked. As far as the rest of the world? Could care less. Haters hate #1. As an American we are superior. We will take over the afghani fields of poppy, control the heroin market, and make China our little bitch, just like they've always been.

Don't fucking tip. Only idiots do that.

I work for an Italian. He's a nice dude. He works more than I do.

This dude is what India would consider a SERF.

You cucks do realize servers and bartenders are paid an average of 2.13$ an hour at literally all restaurantd outside of like seatle?

I also tip out 4.5% of my sales to the bartenders, hosts, and bussers of the restaurant.

If i sell 1,000$ worth of food and booze and get 200$ in tips, i give out about 40$ or so and go home with 160$. I never see a paycheck because the government taxes my tips and just takes all the hourly wages, and i usually end up oweing the government after taxes. I make about 50k a year working full time as a server. I dont stop speed walking and never sit down while making sure 40 needy people all get exactly what they want for 9 to 12 hours. I also clean up after your nigger kids and i sweep up broken glass that niggers break on my floor and just say sorry. 20% tips is normal unless i fuck your shit up or ruin your date

Damn bro they raised out hourly to $5.25 an hour. My paycheck working 4 days is easily $230. If you don't claim your cash tips you can bump that up to like $350.

Keep telling yourself that .. this is coming from a country that elected G.W.Bush and Donald Trump .. eventually your GDP will fall relative to the emerging economies, as will your defence spending and you'll have to climb down off your horse and quit being such a misplaced arrogant race of fat idiots.. truth/10

You are an American Hero user. you're not even including there therapy you give to annoying ass customers. You're doing Gods work. Its people like you that I tip 25%.

So it isn't your restaurant.

Have fun pasting a smile on your face to try and tear a few more pennies from the people who you have to serve each day lol

What shit stain country to you live in?

Whoever you are you keep getting dubs, so I'm inclined to believe that what you say is truth/10

I have more money than you. lol. I also have more drugs than you. And I guarantee I have a hotter bitch than you. It's like fighting a retard. I can't win beating up a retard.

I wouldn't want you to have to google it pal... but I live in the best country on the planet ... everytime I travel, in Europe, the Americas, Asia I just get really homesick .. I'll give you a tip, our beaches are some of the best on the planet, our women are some of the hottest, we had one mass shooting In like 1996 but never again, no terrorist attacks, our GDP per capita is higher than America, we're an American ally and our country is so strategically placed you cucks will have to defend us from an Asian attack ... not that we need your help but it wouldn't hurt

You're like our little sidekick. We're Batman, you're like Alfred. Not even Robin. lol. What a bitch. Actually saying your life Alfred is a compliment. You're more like, the cape batman wears. Not really needed but we keep it for tradition. You can call us Daddy if you'd like. You don't even wanna tell me what country you're from. lol. What a cuck.

Went to America, stayed in hotel. Tipped everyone but the fucking nigger in the sky lounge. I tipped his other Co workers. But he did a shit job the first time I saw him and twice more. Tried to add a service charge I told him to Fuck off and called the nigger out to his manager.

Why the fuck should I tip you clowns if you can't do basic shit? U want 10% fucking earn it. Certainly won't give 20% unless ur coming to clean my fucking car afterwards too.

If you can't figure it out then all the statistics suggesting the USAs education system is completely fucked are true .. the final part in the demise of any empire in history is too much money which makes people lazy ... I actually hope you fags don't get invaded and put in cages because I'd rather have a hot American wife than have a slopey little chink wife but I would kinda like to see you fags get a reality check

That explains it

Shut the fuck up, I pay 10% and If the service is shit nothing

No one is obligated to and its not a law, not even good manners. Its literally a capitalista practice. Dishonest too. FUCK OFF

LMAO no you're right I wouldn't of either.

Also would like to add you can't expect or ask for a tip. That's a big black ball.

Thread

And what were they supposed to do idiot? YOUR Jon to clean up the tables?

Lots of americans here who work in "restaurants" (aka McDonalds). What a bunch of losers lol

Funny thing here they act all high and mighty but in real life they are scared as fuck of you and bow their heads. Not to mention service like little bitches, especially when you give em "the look".

Dump your tray full of trash and put it back on the stack rack of trays above the garbage. Everyone got disgusted not just the employees and wtf are you talking about treat everyone like human beings period first of all and secondly you sound like you have self esteem issues