he's toothpicking at us

Fuck you, Captain Tom.

Fuck you, Nico.

These punk kids are human garbage, real losers

>those dubs

damn...

Lou Reed loved Ornette Coleman

He was also friends with Patti Smith.

"Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical "adulthood." To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside "mere" rock music. This ostentatious display of "sophistication" is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call "jazz." There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere.
Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the "free" zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom -- sounds good.
The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the dissappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap."

>hates jazz
>makes corny jazzy esc music in Rock and Roll Heart
>BA BAM BADDADA DA DA
What did Lou mean by this?

Sorry prick I can't hear you underneath all that dirt.

AW (you) SHOULDN'T DO THAT
CUZ YOU KNOW YOULL STAIN THE CARPET

> misattributing an Albini quote to Lou Reed
I literally don't see your motivation in misleading people like that. You're literally doing something damaging and destructive by doing that.

Here's Lou with Ornette: youtube.com/watch?v=G7PAajmajVg

I grew up on rock, specifically punk, music. When I was a teen I dismissed jazz as pretentious, meaningless, meandering, unrewarding music. Then when I was 19 or 20 I was really into experimental music, first with no wave and industrial stuff, then that led me to modern classical, and then I decided modal and free jazz were a necessary extension. So I explored Ornette, and I really liked Coltrane's A Love Supreme. But I still found the genre less powerful for me than rock, so it sat in the background.

Then, a few years later I randomly came across Mingus' Let My Children Hear Music, and it absolutely blew my mind. I loved it. It was as good or better than any rock album I'd ever heard. I ripped through the bebop people, which I quickly realized I also loved - people like Art Blakey and his entourage (Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Pete La Roca), as well as Django Reinhardt, an obvious predecessor to that stuff. Now I love jazz, and it's as indespensible to me as the rock music I grew up with.

Like any music, you need to wade through and find the stuff you respond to. People who dismiss jazz, hip hop, or any other major genre haven't tapped into and found the best, most skillful stuff. That even holds true for people like Albini and Scruffy, both of whom have demonstrated such weaknesses.

He didn't mean anything by that because he's a jazz fan.

You kids are fucking hopeless.

>what is irony
I've still accomplished more in death than you ever will in lfe
Give this guy a dingdong

coworkers play jazz records for 10 hours a day and i hate all of it, it's totally contrived trash.
Roomates play rap constantly, all varieties and eras. Rap is abhorrent, completely cringe inducing and for those of us who have studied music it appears vapid, void of artistic merit. How any serious music fan can defend modern rap and it's elementary, formulaic production is beyond me

Either your co-workers and roommates have terrible taste, or you do. Either way, you seem unpleasant, and you should know Lou Reed isn't on your side on this.

If you're into rock, imagine if your roommates just played Limp Bizkit all day, and that was the only rock music you heard. You'd probably say you hated rock. If you're into classical, imagine if your coworkers just constantly played the Star Wars soundtrack, and that was the only classical you heard. You'd probably get sick of it.

Based Albini.

I'm gonna leave you with a couple great jazz albums, and a couple strong hip hop tracks (though admittedly entry level hip hop, since I'm no aficionado):
youtube.com/watch?v=TKd_f2QBpvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Z8_L3B9DsjA

youtube.com/watch?v=ZEBGCOCxLgA
youtube.com/watch?v=y53fExNvHes

They play all different artists who are well renowned in both jazz and rap, it's just low quality music now get that through your thick skull you moron. Besides you enjoy punk, you have no gravitas when it comes to musical analysis

You honestly don't seem very bright. But okay, I'll leave you be in your hateful, scared misery.

Also, "well renowned" isn't a phrase. It's either "well known" or "renowned," pick one.

Yeah, i've got better things to do than waste my time and subject myself to noise pollution.
Excuse the redundancy, English is my second language. Fuck off and leave my thread, retreat to your ivory tower of superior taste you pretentious cretin

So you're too closed off to even try something new.

> "no gravitas when it comes to musical analysis"
> "ivory tower of superior taste
You seem to be confusing yourself.

Also, this is the internet. Nobody's going to do what you say just because you whine at them.

I'm enjoying this whole dynamic of trolling hateful, angry idiots with sincerity. I recommend it.

Everything is jazz

>idiot
>fluent in multiple languages

> "no gravitas when it comes to musical analysis"
> "ivory tower of superior taste

Do you have no comprehension of English prose? any sense of irony? Are you actually the idiot here behind your pseudointellectual veil? The fact that you are continuing to bother replying when you've been outed as fraud tells me that firstly you don't have any value for your time and are probably a lowlife and secondly you have a grossly inflated ego.

No. Fuck you.

> Do you have no comprehension of English prose?
> "pseudointellectual veil"
> "any sense of irony"
Oh the fucking irony in this very post is fucking amazing!

I haven't said anything pretentious, I don't think. I just tried to demonstrate the appeal of these genres. Your butthurt is glorious, though.