What were some geographical misconceptions you had as a kid?

What were some geographical misconceptions you had as a kid?

-I used to think Spain, Mexico and Portugal were in South America.
-I also thought New Zealand was part of the Australian continent.

I thought New Zealand was northeast of Australia, not southeast.
Also thought South America was directly below North America.

i thought that greece was located in western europe

I thought Greenland was really larger than South America. Then I learned that it only looks larger in the Mercator projection.

France=Italy
Colombia=Venezuela

Australian are indigenous Asian
Same to Spain and Portugal

you thought you bordered venezuela?

these

I thought Europe was farther south, or North America was farther north.

I thought that Moldavia is the other name of Mongolia.Like Latvia and Litva.

I had no idea that we border best korea. i thought koreas are somewhere near india.

I thought that odessa is russian city. i still think so.

I used to think that Europe were much larger than it really is. It was very mind blowing when I realized that France is smaller than Colombia.

- Used to think New Zealand was in Europe
- Used to think East Asians where white, but with down syndrome, since their skin is pale and they were weird as shit
- Used to think most people in the world were ethnic Europeans because of t.v. and sheltered life.
- Used to think Sicily was Greece

I thought that all South America were Brazil.

I was actually really good at knowing flags and countries since I was very little because I liked looking the maps from the encyclopedia.
However I used to think that all canadians lived in igloos or that you could get to china if you dug enough.

>What were some geographical misconceptions you had as a kid?
>tfw I don't remember having one

When I didn't know much about history, I used to think that Israel was another big arab country like Syria or Egypt but I didn't know werre it was located.

I thought my state, my city and my country were in different places.

this
also, trips ftw

from someone who shares a bed with an atlas, i would say it would be the two Congolese nations; Democratic Republic of the Congo and The Republic of Congo. Till this day i still have an OCD on recognizing DR Congo as Kinshasa Congo or just Zaire

Dominican republic shares a border with Dominica instead of Haiti

Greenland as a sovereign country

Yemen's flag still bearing that scimitar along with North Yemen having its independence

I used to think that Russia and Germany were the same country because dubbing actors give them the same accent. Also, they were both evil cold countries in Europe.

BTW, are we Mexicans really shitty at Geography, or does this kind of thread attracts Mexicans?

Dunno, the things I didn't know were when I was a really small child, like 3 or 4, before I even went to elementary school.

you didn't mean the dick size, I hope

Dominican Republic = Dominica.

I used to think Crimea was part of the Ukraine.

Used to think southern patagonia and south africa were on the same latitude, just learned (fairly recently too) that tierra del fuego, southern patagonia extends much further south than africa.

I thought shanghai was capital of china, sydney was capital of Australia, new york was capital of USA

I used to think Turkey was in Avrupa

I imagined Lithuania as a tropical paradise, because my dad told me it was an island and I just decided it was warm for some reason

I thought Jamaica was in Africa.. got a rando call at the end of class freshman year and said 'oh I'm getting a call from Africa'

I thought Lithuania was in Africa.
I also thought Hong Kong was the capital of China.

Good bait, it's a shame nobody took it.

My parents used to take me to the south western coast, point to a distant landmass and tell me that it was Venezuela. I didn't know what the fuck they were talking about and thought they said "Venny's Whale". So for years I thought Venezuela was a gigantic whale. I was retarded.

I didn't think there were people of religions other than Christianity. I had also presumed all Christians followed Catholic dogma.

Life was a lot easier back then. I miss it.

I had none because I actually paid attention in class.

When I was like 3-4 I used to think that Europe is a far away kingdom that can only be reached in several days.

i didn't know where are hongkong and taiwan and macau also singapore on the world map and i still don't know where are the locations of the four small cities

I didn't know canada existed and thought america was everywhere above mexico

-I didnt know Serbia and Armenia existed until 2013.
-I thought Mexico was on the side of spain.
-I thought Portugal was in South Africa.

i thought ireland was part of UK as a kid

>-I also thought New Zealand was part of the Australian continent.- 38 posts and 2 image replies shown.
it is

I though Asia was consisted of China, Japan and Korea.

>I thought that odessa is russian city. i still think so.
Soon Ivan, soon.

>russia is a part of europe
>russian thinks it takes several days to travel to europe
????

I imagined Europe like some kingdom with castles, mountains and cities made of stone everywhere(what is partly true) but I lived in shitty Moscow, a city without any historical values. So all that seemed very alien to me and I though that it can't be right around the corner.

I thought Latino people happened because whites racemixed with blacks.

t. never seen a Latino person in my life except on American TV shows

I thought the Philippines was next to China or taiwan, But they were under China
I thought Israel was a country in Europe
I did not know which continent Oceania was, I thought Australia was Southeast Asia

Though Mongolia was a made up country, only used in jokes.

Thought Hongkong was a country.

Thought the Faroes were huge.

Thought french people were black.

they are a product of racemixing aren't they?

thought every country was at least comparable to an Australian state in size

took me a while to realise that we're big guys

I didn't understand how Africans ended up in the United States I thought African American meant they originally came from there.

Yes, most of them are mix of Europeans + Native.

if only you could populate more places than the eastern coast in your country

2 million in perth and that's projected to double by 2030

There's nothing stopping the south west coast or South Australia from being population centres, its just that there was no reason for people to move there when the east coast was where all the development was. It was only with the mining booms in WA that people actually had a reason to move there.
The English were more than satisfied with the east coast and only settled in Perth because the French were planning to take Western Australia.

New Zealand is not part of any continent.

Oceania mate

it's PNG, Australia and New Zealand

Oceania is a region, like Middle East. It's not a continent.

>t. never seen a Latino person in my life except on American TV shows
hahahha

Oceania, the planet's smallest continent, is without doubt one of the most diverse and fascinating areas on the planet. A large percentage of geography experts now consider the long-established continent of Australia to be more accurately defined as Australia/Oceania.
Collectively it then combines all of Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, as well as the thousands of coral atolls and volcanic islands of the South Pacific Ocean, including the Melanesia and Polynesia groups.
Oceania also includes Micronesia, a widely scattered group of islands that run along the northern and southern edges of the Equator.

thought gibraltar was an island because my dad is a retarded idiot

I don't count Spaniards as Latinos. I count them as Africans

my parents did the same with your island m8, that's funny

I thought Denmark was a very influential country. But that's just because I live near the Danish border and we have some Danish stores here.

I used to think The Hague was the capital of The Netherlands because my dad said it was and refused to accept it's Amsterdam.

as you should

Nice bait

I thought Jerusalem was the capital of Israel

I thought North and South Korea were on an island