Why do bands put out albums a lot less frequently than they used to?

why do bands put out albums a lot less frequently than they used to?

if you look at old bands like the beatles, beach boys, pink floyd, etc they were putting out a record every year. now for most bands we have to wait many years in between releases.

what’s the reason for this?

the best explanation for this is likely the increased importance of touring for a bands revenue versus album sales.

ding ding ding, winner

Albums became longer when we switched over to CDs. Actually we're starting to go back to the old ways I think, especially rappers with their dozens and dozens of mixtapes and electronic producers dropping EPs all over the place. Listeners are favoring singles over albums now too.

imagine all the music we’re missing out on because we won’t buy records.

really makes you think.

pop albums are actually getting much longer (Drake's Views hit full double album length) to gain more revenue from streaming I believe

music industry is stagnating.

No, it's actually moving faster than ever, to make up for lost ground during the last decade. I'm actually shocked at how fast the industry managed to come back on top.

Record labels find that people will buy more if the release is hyped for a year or two, any band can make music in the span of 5 months.

>meanwhile in australia

The rate of album releases started slowing in the 80s after the event of music videos. Bands would take 2-3 years to finish a tour and release all the singles from an album.

ehh depends on the scene
guys like mac demarco shit out releases every 6 months

Epic thought Tom Scholz was nuts for projecting a 1981 release date for Boston's sophomore album. Back in the 70s you were supposed to have one out every year or 1-1/2 years. They forced Boston to rush out the incomplete Don't Look Back and then cut them from the roster after being unable to agree with Tom's album schedule.

they have day jobs, music isn't profitable

Thriller kind of started a revolution in that every track on the album aside from 2-3 fillers was a single release.

Boston [Epic, 1976]

When I heard that someone had achieved an American synthesis of Yes and Led Zeppelin, all I could do was cover my ears and say "Gosh!" C

Don't Look Back [Epic, 1978]

Debut pomposities having been excised, what remains is a pure exploration of corporate rock. Brad Delp's tenor being too thin for nasty cock-rock distractions leaves us free to contemplate unsullied form. The fact that I occasionally find myself enjoying it means there's still some corruption at work. True formalists, from Mallarme to bluegrass, leave me cold. B-

Third Stage [MCA, 1986]

No longer can the naysayers accuse this band of being corporate. A decade later, whatever motivated Tom Scholz to release this unarticulated expression of an art-metal thought long extinct, it certainly wasn't multiplatinum ambition. He's more like the Pope of latter-day arena rock, weaving together elaborate textures and magnificent cathedral vocals. Not as bad as you'd think, nor worth giving a second listen to. C+

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]

Why is this plebian hack still alive?

simply not true. Provide some statistics or i have no reason to believe your claim OP.

speak for yourself

>lyl look at me I namedropped Mallarme to show how smart and well-read I am

The Beatles chose to forsake touring altogether so they could focus on perfectionist albums.

Disintegration by the Cure has once, I can't remember at what track, it was either Same Deep Water or Disintegration

There was intense pressure on artists in the 60s to release as record sales were huge for the labels. Beatles, Rolling Stones were expected to release a new single every 3 months and a new album every six months. Back then the artists influence was much less as well, they basically did what they were told by the people with the money, because they were glad to work in the business of their passion.
Today you don't sell records anymore, nobody cares, so why make many? Today's musicians are mostly upper middle class trust fund kids as well, so there's no survival pressure in making a good record a lot of people will like.

Which one of them is maxmoefoe?

Clearly youve not been paying attention over the last decade

Reviewers are not okay