Is ''''''''electronic music''''''''' the most meaningless label in music?

Is ''''''''electronic music''''''''' the most meaningless label in music?

>Electronic music is music that employs electronic musical instruments, digital instruments and circuitry-based music technology.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_music

>Electronic music is music which uses non-traditional electronic instrumentation and sound manipulation technology as the primary musical backbone of a composition.
rateyourmusic.com/genre/Electronic/

>Electronic music refers to music that emphasizes the use of electronic musical instruments or electronic music technology as a central aspect of the sound of the music.
last.fm/tag/electronic

>electronically produced sounds recorded on tape and arranged by the composer to form a musical composition.
dictionary.com/browse/electronic-music

>Electronic music, any music involving electronic processing, such as recording and editing on tape, and whose reproduction involves the use of loudspeakers.
britannica.com/art/electronic-music

>Music performed using synthesizers and other electronic instruments.
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/electronic_music

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music
rateyourmusic.com/genre/Rock/
last.fm/tag/rock/wiki
thefreedictionary.com/rock music
britannica.com/art/rock-music
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rock_music
youtube.com/watch?v=zABa1d5k-Vc
youtube.com/watch?v=DPyOhP1GTRQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No. Rock is.

Literally came here to say this.
Something being labeled rock on discogs means absolutely NOTHING to the listener. Completely useless label.

>not '''''''''''''''''''''''''classical''''''''''''''''''''''''

Yes, electronic is pretty meaningless, but electronic dance music is alright.

Seems very simple and straightforward and covers at least 95% of it

>Rock music is a genre of popular music that originated as "rock and roll" in the United States in the early 1950s, and developed into a range of different styles
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music

>Rock is characterized by the prominence of the electric guitar, usually played loud, and accompanied by bass and drums.
rateyourmusic.com/genre/Rock/

>Rock usually has a prominent vocal melody, accompanied by guitar, drums, and bass. Many styles of rock music also use keyboard instruments
last.fm/tag/rock/wiki

>A type of pop music that developed out of rock‘n’roll in the 1960s and 1970s. It is based around amplified instruments, especially the electric guitar and electric bass, and is characterized by a strong bass line and driving rhythms
thefreedictionary.com/rock music

>rock is a kind of music with simple tunes and a very strong beat that is played and sung, usually loudly, by a small group of people with electric guitars and drums
britannica.com/art/rock-music

>A form of popular music which evolved from rock and roll and pop music
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rock_music

''dance'' is subjective and the choice of the listener

Literally the same genre. Very useful genre.
youtube.com/watch?v=zABa1d5k-Vc
youtube.com/watch?v=DPyOhP1GTRQ

Boring old dudes with orchestra

Who is top right?

I tend to associate "electronic music" with the historical context of the 20th century's technological developments, and the musical ideas that generated as a result. Those definitions are technically true, but don't provide much of a meaningful descriptor.
Electronic musicians, or fans of it, who try to call rock music "guitar music" miss the point of electronic music.

Merzbow, Japanese EDM

Rock, 'rap', country, pop, metal and every other generic tag is just as meaningless. Rap really gets to me because it's not a genre at all but a type of vocals.

Words aren't subjective - they have literal definitions. Only interpretations and preferences are subjective. Subjective literally means about the viewer and is an introspective take on an external object. No object can be subjective, they are objective. Really basic English.

Whether the music is "dance music" is subjective and the choice of the listener though.

>they have literal definitions
They often have multiple conflicting definitions
>No object can be subjective
Is an object large or small? Good or bad? Useful or useless? It may have objective dimensions but people are rarely interested in the objective details and focus more on their own subjective interpretations. Really basic philosophy and psychology.

No, it's the choice of whoever makes it. They have the right to label their work so that it can be judged under the intended criteria. You don't understand object theory, stop trying to use it as an argument.

Objects are all belonging to themselves which is the whole point. If you view something objectively it is with regards to the object itself, subjectively means you are looking at yourself via the object.
You can't critique anything subjectively because subjectivity is looking at yourself, not the work. It's not complicated.
There's the post-structuralist take that the absolute objective can never truly be known, but using that take is arguing that the argument is objectively true which is a contradiction. No one is forcing anyone to agree with objectivity, but if you use factual language then you are implying objectivity. Genre tags are there for criticism and categorising, they don't really exist.

I didn't know records came with a sticker saying whether the artist made the music for dancing to or not. I'll look for that.

>I can't analyse intentions, but despite that I will argue about it anyway because I am that self-important
Great position to have, consider sending a CV into pitchfork.

>I can't prove shit

"world music" is the most meaningless label; it doesn't even indicate if you're listening to traditional music from wherever, or just shitty new age music with tablas or whatever

If people making music using established ideas from the industry they work in isn't something you can follow I suggest you kill yourself because you have brain damage.

So rock/metal, pop, jazz, electronica and pretty much all popular music then, gotcha.

Is ''''''''meaningless''''''''' the most meaningless criticism in art criticism?

You don't mean it lacks meaning, you mean it has too much meaning, too many meanings and you can't handle the contradictions and uncertainty.

You don't need to prove your brain damage by ignoring the entire conversation, you can just stop posting. You're literally arguing without an argument nonsensically.

Depends on what is being criticised. Something might be about nothing like the Black Square (which probably isn't, I can't remember). General it's a weak term, "uninspired" is way worse because it never makes sense.

No one says that

World music is the second most meaningless label after "rock"