Are they the greatest band of all time?

Thoughts on The Smiths?

Other urls found in this thread:

rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-smiths-morrissey-marr-rob-sheffield-ranks-all-73-songs-w492371
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Rob would fuck Morrisey up in a fist fight
I think Johnny could hold his own tho

They are the gayest band of all time.

Frankly Mr Shankly is best track.

They got me to rethink my life. Anything other than QiD is merely decent though

>Frankly Mr Shankly
dumbest fucking title I've heard

i enjoy frankly but their best is unhappy birthday

hatful is their best

best boys

1. Beach Boys
2. The Smiths

Queen Is Dead is their best but Hatful is a close second.
Best song either Barbarism Begins at Home or There Is A Light.

You'd enjoy this list rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-smiths-morrissey-marr-rob-sheffield-ranks-all-73-songs-w492371

what does hatful mean?

hat full

Strangeways > Hatful > Smiths > Meat Is Murder > Queen
Their best song is Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

Morrissey's probably one of the funniest lyricists in music, very dry, witty humour in the vein of Oscar Wilde. That said, their instrumentation had no right to be that good, but it was just insane.

Hatful of Hollow.

To be full of hat.

what does hatful of hollow mean then? does it have anything to do with hateful?

Nah, nothing to do with it. It's like "handful", but rather than something that you can fit in your hand, it's something you can fit in a hat. Hollow being emptyness... It's pretty much a punny way of saying "emptyheaded".

the smiths arent even the best band in the smiths

Please don't spoonfeed the foreigners.

good post
bad post
bad list

Barbarism is one of the weaker tracks on Meat imo.

S/T is their best album. Louder Than Bombs is their best comp. "The Headmaster Ritual" is their best song.

They are an overrated band and I pretty much can't listen to them anymore due to Tumblr children.

Morrissey's solo career went to shit years ago.

So I guess "The Smiths" used to be a popular "jangle-pop" band. Apparently "jangle-pop" is not Iggy Pop's failed mentally challenged brother, but rather, some sort of "music genre" that seems to mean rock music that DOESN'T ROCK. Naturally by making rock music stupid and horrible, The Smiths baited lots of intellectual frauds who wear scarves into declaring that they were saving the genre from itself--you see it every decade or so with every kind of music, but The Smiths are one of the bands whose influence never really fell into the trash heap in which it belongs. Everything The Stooges did right, The Smiths did wrong. This band is everything wrong with modern "men." It's music for people who expect everything in life to be handed to them and who think miserablism and ennui are fashion accessories.

I can smell Morrissey's breath when I hear him sing. His lyrics are what happens when a British guy tricks himself into thinking he's witty by default by virtue of his Britishness--so, we get lots of awkward Oscar Wilde-imitating dryness and single-entendres that make AC/DC seem Shakespearean in comparison. Funny, by the way, how Smiths fans tend to look down on AC/DC and that ilk as disposable macho stadium rock when half of The Smiths' songs seem to be about how Morrissey thinks someone owes him sex. I guess that sentiment somehow becomes less demeaning and troublesome when mixed with a bit of gender confusion and then moaned effeminately like Kermit the frog trying to pry his balls out of a vice. By the way, if your lyrics don't fit a particular vocal melody, you don't just get to fill out the rest of the phrasing with random "ohhhh"s and "aahhhh"s!

two lumps, please
you're the bee's knees
but so am I
ummm.... ohhh-aaah-ohhhh ohhhh aahhhh...

Kids, once you get past the surface image, not only is there more intelligence in an AC/DC album, there's more sensitivity too. The Smiths' wit and sensitivity isn't real, it's a fashion statement, and like all fashion it's BS. So there were some other people in the band presumably. Yeah, Johnny Marr churned out some pretty chiming jingle jangle with his guitar. SO WHAT? It's all vapid windowdressing. There's more to life than sniffing flowers and going to antique stores; sometimes I need more than "prettiness." The Beatles pretty much wrote the outline to every single Smiths track with the song "I'm Only Sleeping." Not only that, they wrote OTHER songs too! With OTHER moods! If Johnny Marr is a great guitarist, then Kenny G is a great saxophonist. In a sense I appreciate this band for being the antithesis to everything I look for in music. Every time I'm frustrated with an album or wished I liked it more, I can think "well, at least it's not The Smiths," and my appreciation for it skyrockets. God bless The Smiths for making ABBA sound punk.