/jazz/

>when the horn player hits a really high note and holds it out and the rhythm section goes nuts behind him
>when a soloist starts his solo with the same note or the same lick that the solo before him just ended with
>when the soloist quotes the melody but with a different rhythm
>when it sounds like the band is playing completely free but then they all hit the same rhythms or something and you realize they’re all still following the form somehow

What things give you a jazz boner? Let's rec each other albums based on our jazz fetishes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gAIibWoTPPU
youtube.com/watch?v=UL5Un4gP60I
youtube.com/watch?v=eNt-f69LO-k
youtube.com/watch?v=zQqm0aMRQew
youtube.com/watch?v=mGLC9yt4qmU
youtube.com/watch?v=0w7-fYg2MXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tP6PKDtf4MY
youtube.com/watch?v=Sp8SNDN3Rt4
youtube.com/watch?v=MNfTJEaSB1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=BtxqKVbKhYU
youtube.com/watch?v=DaAmcErdFgM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=OvzxRQrkCcE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Jazz is ass.

Classical is for class.

Wow someone who actually listens to jazz.

Those are all the kind of details that I'm pretty sure go over the heads of 90% of the "jazz fans" on Sup Forums.

>when the melody keeps spilling over the bar until the last time it's done
>when it all sounds like it's in different time signature but it's all in 4/4
>when the rhythm section is left to their own devices for like a minute and everyone just comes crashing back together right after in a glorious cacophony that smooths itself out into the harmony
>violins in jazz, period

Really? I hardly ever come to Sup Forums anymore but I remember jazz threads being pretty good.

times have changed

What really gets me going are good drum fills
Goddamn I love drums

>violins in jazz, period
can you give me some recs?

All this shit sounds cool and I think I've heard those things before but I can't think of anything specific.

What do you recommend?

Stephane Grappelli is the best one, but I have a soft spot for Jean-Luc Ponty.

thanks, user
violin is one of my favorite instruments

We just talk about taylor swift, kany west, kendrick lamar and mumble rappers now basically.

You can never go wrong with the John Coltrane Quartet. Also any Blue Note albums with Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard is good for that stuff.

Some modern players that are worth checking out too- Brad Mehldau, Joshua Redman, Chris Potter, Ambrose Akinmusire, David Kikoski, and Seamus Blake

For me is a colorful approach to harmony like what Herbie Hancock does. Especially on his 70s records leading the Headhunters

Chris Potter is god-tier

Ray Nance youtube.com/watch?v=gAIibWoTPPU
Stuff Smith youtube.com/watch?v=UL5Un4gP60I
Svend Asmussen youtube.com/watch?v=eNt-f69LO-k
Billy Bang youtube.com/watch?v=zQqm0aMRQew
Michael White youtube.com/watch?v=mGLC9yt4qmU
Leroy Jenkins (not the meme) youtube.com/watch?v=0w7-fYg2MXQ
Adam Baldych youtube.com/watch?v=tP6PKDtf4MY
Mark Feldman youtube.com/watch?v=Sp8SNDN3Rt4

oops, wrong link, those are all jazz violinists meant for

hey, user, thanks for the recs

bump

this is categorically false

this is so boring
what the hell

it's like they are playing tunes from a cartoon

youtube.com/watch?v=MNfTJEaSB1Q

Not sure which time signature they're playing but i really dig this.

anyone else digging the new Binker and Moses album?

youtube.com/watch?v=BtxqKVbKhYU

rec electronic jazz

What jazz albums from this year do you guys recommend?

>when instead of some trite "nifty" clichees, the soloist plays crystal clear logical and creative lines

face it, you're plebs

>crystal clear, logical, creative lines
>not the most trite cliche you can get in jazz

that shit reached its peak with L Armstrong my man. After the 60's we discerning listeners expect a little interaction from the band.

>holding a high note
>quoting the last phrase of the solo before yours
>quoting the melody
>muh simultaneous improvisation
>rhythmic displacement in the head - was surely very innovative in 1941
>bass and drums play the equivalent of a live backing track for a minute
>muh uncommon instruments

the only thing you mentioned that isn't absolutely boring and contrived is polyrhythmic lines over 4/4, but that's a staple of bebop so it's not exactly "after the 60s"

>pianist reaches the apex of his solo with a long 16th note run in his right hand and at the same time starts quoting the melody of the tune underneath with his left hand

can you link the recording you're thinking of? never heard this but would like

I don't even understand what you're trying to say here

youtube.com/watch?v=DaAmcErdFgM

>when Thenolious Monk finished playing the melody and just stands up and maniacally stares into space until he can play his solo

Finally someone knows this

>when the rhythm section gets lost in the form but pulls it off so smoothly that you don't even bother doing another take

trite lol

>"jazz fan" thinks words like "wank," "emotionless," "academic," or "corny" are legitimate criticisms of music

>music
lol at the trite shit plebs enjoy

its 5
or 10 if u like doesnt really make a difference

>corny
lol

Anyone here ever listen or hear of Acoustic Alchemy? I got into them a few years back and really like their sound but don't know enough about the Jazz genre to know where I should start looking for similar sounds.

>feeling the melodic theme persist through the drum solo

I'll assume you're joking, otherwise feel free to post 3 other recordings where this happens

Am I a pleb if I still don't hear what you're talking about in this one? Can someone point out exactly what time it happens in the song?

this is what everyone in this thread should listen to.

I think he's talking about 2:38ish

2:40

I'm curious though- if you can't hear stuff like that even when it's explicitly described, what kind of jazz do you enjoy and what do you enjoy about it?

>the first time through the chorus they all play the same notes of the melody
>the second time through they split into like 7 different harmonies and somehow it just works

I don't know music terms but I love when this happens. it's not the normal 3 part harmony you expect but a much crazier combo that almost makes it feel like the color and mood of the melody has changed. not sure if that makes sense

Post an example

I listen to stuff like art blakey and and some free jazz like peter brotzmann or pharoah sanders. I guess are usually just like the energy or the beat

sorry about mobile. heading to work and this is the only example I know off the too of my head.
H&T Blues
m.youtube.com/watch?v=OvzxRQrkCcE
I think the kind of harmonies I'm talking about is mostly done as a bside section thing with saxes in big band, but I just love it when the smaller groups break out into the large stacked harmonies explicitly the second time through the melody

MAH NIGGA

>bari solos
>when a soloist starts burning through the changes
>bass has double stops

Fuckin yes user. I don't think I've seen this album posted before.

>Soloist trades fours with the whole big band who all play at the same time and tried to copy back his licks

I posted about this the other day, but got few responses.

I began listening to Coltrane's A Love Supreme as an introduction of sorts and cannot understand WHY the bass is so quiet in the first song.

what is the purpose of this? I can barely hear the notes. I'm not even sure I can hear the notes. What is the thinking behind recording/putting the bass in the mix like this?

it's very "feeble" sounding and I think imbalances the piece

(referencing pt. acknowledgement)