Who are some contemporary experimental guitarists that really push the boundaries of the instrument...

Who are some contemporary experimental guitarists that really push the boundaries of the instrument? I don't mean shredding and advanced techniques; just people who developed an original sound that no one have ever heard from guitar. I'm bored of Hendrix's leftovers and reverb+delay.

Other urls found in this thread:

workandworry.com/2011/01/12/interview-chris-weisman-nonmusical-patterns/
youtube.com/watch?v=gv_bkS5VVaA
youtube.com/watch?v=rmSxx47vg4Y
youtube.com/watch?v=ebxIwwhV5MA
youtube.com/watch?v=JG3UproA74s
soundcloud.com/jackalaka/found-in-a-pile-of-mud-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Roy Montgomery

which of his albums is the best to start with?

John Frusciante maybe?

Every new interesting sound a guitar could make was found by the end of the 80s with Sonic Youth though.

Scenes from a South Island to start with

Frusciante's playing was really hendrixy while in the peppers (still awesome), but his later work is really exceptional.

Spencer from Hella

J O H N P E T R U C C I

Jonny Greenwood
Robert Plant

Chris Weisman has some pretty interesting stuff.
Here's a interview with him about some book he wrote a couple years ago of experimental/alternative scales:
workandworry.com/2011/01/12/interview-chris-weisman-nonmusical-patterns/
i wanted to pick it up just to check it out but unfortunately its out of print :(
>>The Radical Readout Press is proud to present Chris Weisman's Nonmusical Patterns and their Musical Uses (for Guitar in Standard Tuning). Nonmusical Patterns is a hand-made, perfect-bound softback with letterpressed cover containing one hundred geometric patterns overlaid to the fretboard of a guitar in standard tuning. Weisman, a performer, recording artist and music teacher devised the selected patterns with their potential as creative spurs for the improvising guitarist in mind. Nonmusical Patterns is an unorthodox fusion of musical and visual esthetic concerns and is ultimately an act of conceptual synesthesia whose practical result, in the hands of the improvising guitarist, is musical and artistic risk-taking. As such, the work is in the tradition of George Brecht's Water Yam, Yoko Ono's Grapefruit or Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt's Oblique Strategies and may appeal as much to those interested in conceptual art and artists' books as it will to the improviser and theoretician.
seems interesting imo

me

John McLaughlin

youtube.com/watch?v=gv_bkS5VVaA

Can I throw in Brett Netson with Caustic Resin?

youtube.com/watch?v=rmSxx47vg4Y

Not the most well known, but I think he does some awesome stuff with the guitar.

you have my permission to shill some of your work

Allan Holdsworth when he was alive, John Scofield, Robert Fripp, Julian Lage, Pat Metheny, Nels Cline, Marc Ribot, Bill Harkleroad (Zoot Horn Rollo), Fred Frith, Al Di Meola, Bill Frisell.

Loren Connors

This is some "all asians look same" shit right here.
youtube.com/watch?v=ebxIwwhV5MA

Weird scales! Something for me, thanks

Mateus Asato's approach to guitar is very traditional in the sense that he plays accessible music and is rooted in the classics, but the way he does that is far beyond how anyone else has approached the instrument.

>I'm bored of Hendrix's leftovers and reverb+delay.
If you honestly believe that's "the pinnacle" you obviously have to listen to more music.

Bill Orcutt
Nels Cline kinda

It's a shame he's most likely going to play this for the rest of his career:
youtube.com/watch?v=JG3UproA74s

>Every new interesting sound a guitar could make was found by the end of the 80s with Sonic Youth though.
this

>Every new interesting sound a guitar could make was found by the end of the 80s with Sonic Youth though.
Are you still sure of that, despite all the recommendations in this thread?

Thank you very much, I really like him.

I know that this is a vague description, but it fits the majority of popular contemporary guitarists.

Christian Fennesz , Oren Ambarchi, Eivind Aarset

prepare for shit my friend
soundcloud.com/jackalaka/found-in-a-pile-of-mud-1

Seconded

ichirou agata from melt banana