ITT; Linux Meme's

ITT; Linux Meme's

Am using Linux-based OS. Ask me anything.

am too. Using ubuntu

You too?

Why do people shit on Ubuntu?
Most people learn on it first and it's the most popular distro

same here.

Very little touchscreen support.

I guess most people don't want to deal with having to do stuff through terminal. I didn't at first, but I got used to it. I've been toying with linux distors for a little over a year, but committed to Ubuntu a month ago. No ragrets.

Echo "fuck yes, WIndows 10 is shit"

I meant other linux users

OP here
Same, I started with Kali, but Ubuntu was just easier to work with

>started with kali

Unless you're a pen tester, you shouldn't use Kali for actual work.

Exactly.

Dude it's debian with hacker shit
Same as Ubuntu and BackBox

Started with Ubuntu but moved to Linux Mint a few years ago. You two should give it a look. It's very slick.

Faggot police are after me
WOOP WOOP

My only gripe with ubuntu is that most things are really long and contrived. If, say, I wanted to add something to the "start" menu (I have no idea what the fuck its called) I need to make a .desktop file, bring it into a hidden folder, and then MAYBE it will work. Compare that to windows, where you drag and drop a shortcut into your start menu folder, or mac which is just command+space and then every app you have installed

tbh, i mostly just hated unity (especially the bullshit they pulled with sending searches to amazon). I've heard they're switching back to gnome tho, so hopefully that goes well

Debian/LXDE checking in

if your going to use Ubuntu you might as well just stick to windows/mac

literally no good use for Ubuntu other then spergs "bragging" that they use Linux and are just so intellectual superior to normies

Kali is debian with like 50 extra packages installed and a leet theme. Theres nothing wrong with starting with kali

>debian with hacker shit

I know what kali is, I'm just saying that all I've heard about kali is horror stories where people did hours of work but booted into live mode without persistence or something. I know fuck all about it. I'm blueteam, not redteam.

may or may not have been the reason I got it (/s)
I actually got it because I need a macbook for my school. I tried installing windows, but drivers didn't work, and since bootcamp is shite, and I know ubuntu from toying with it, I gave it a shot.

OP here
Fuck windows and Mac, I just use Ubuntu for college, easiest system to work with

install arch

Anyone tried Steam OS? How does it fare for casual computing?

wait this is outdated

Oh jesus. This is a rainy day project for me. I've heard its shit, but we'll see.

Dude, I recommend learning about Kali
Knowing what tools you're "enemy" has really helps you block his attacks

Can I run it on a laptop easily? I got an old Sony Vaio 2009ish I'd like to try it on but I hear drivers are hard to get.

SteamOS recommends you don't install it
No joke, they tell you it's a beta and it's bound to fuck up

True. I've blocked the usual attemps like burpsuite and airsnort, but I guess I should take a look. Cheers, user.

I'm not convinced that systemd is a good idea, so I'm sticking with Gentoo, with Openbox as a window manager.

uwu

Dude seriously?
I got a 2007 Asus and this shit runs fine

Depends on the OS. You should try for something old if the laptop's hardware is old.

I recommend making it a server if it's really old and slow. I got two macbooks that were useless, but I overwrote the drives and have two ubuntu servers for FTP and a VPN.

Sup Forumsentoo is pretty great, but nothing comes close to the convenience offered by the AUR.

Yes! Usually the only drivers you might have difficulty with are the wireless drivers, which may not be included with the default iso. If this happens to you, you will need to look up what wireless card your laptop has, then download the drivers from a different computer and transfer them to the laptop, from where you can install them. Alternatively, you can just use an ethernet cable during installation and then download the drivers straight from the repository.

systemd breaks unix philosophy, but it just works. Make of that what you will.

no. get out.

to add on to my post, since it's an old laptop (and I assume it is your first time using linux), I would recommend installing lubuntu. The installation process is identical to normal ubuntu, which is the easiest distro to use, and it also comes with a lightweight desktop environment that your laptop should be able to display without issue.
Try to stay away from desktop environments like Gnome or KDE, since those are much more resource intensive and will slow down old hardware.

I see you're a man of refined taste

>systemd breaks unix philosophy, but it just works. Make of that what you will.
My Arch computer sometimes doesn't shut down properly, and sometimes hangs on starting X, so I'm not entirely convinced that systemd actually just works. OpenRC actually just works.

do you have any evidence that systemd is the culprit? It works perfectly on my machine.

BTW anons, arch or ubuntu? I may consider switching to Arch from what I've heard.

also does arch use apt-get or yum

arch uses pacman, which is MUCH faster than apt-get.
Just keep in mind, that for most users, the only legitimate reason to use arch is for the AUR. Other than that it's just a timesink that requires a whole lot of initial configuration.

If you'd rather not spend several hours setting everything up, then you might want to look into antergos. It's a GUI installer for arch that can come with a DE/WM if you want it to.

Go with LTS, rolling version tends to brick itself
It loves to be bleeding edge non-tested newest packages

The improper shutdowns can't really be anything else. The issues with X are less clear, but this is also with Openbox as the window manager, so there's not exactly a lot of other culprits.

Have you guys installed gentoo?

That desktop is faggier than a hundred Macs networked directly into Tim Cook's anus.

>imagined 100 cat5 cables in some man's ass

I know this is bait, but I'm going to give you a (You) anyway.

It isn't about "using needlesly complex and time-consuming methods," but more about having control over your computer and interacting with it at a lower level. A large part of it is also not wanting any bloat (i.e. unnecessary software).
For example, when I install an operating system, I do not want it to come with a video player, music player, file browser, web browser, disk burner, etc. I just want the os and then the freedom to pick whatever other software I want.

>can't be assed to uninstall software you don't want

So basically, Arch?

uninstall internet explorer

Is it Android?

Is it bigger than a breadbox?

Dude, gentoo is neckbeard arch

>apt-get
>amazon botnet
>over 1000 packages
>shitty bloated fork of debian
>no rolling release

doing this meme

kek it's literally big picture mode and nothing else

literally why?

>implying I can't uninstall it
also
>your use of anime unironically automatically makes your argument invalid

>he thinks kizuna ai is anime
also
>anime website

I'm a sadist.

>implying I know anime
>implying this is Sup Forums

anime website

I use RHEL every day for work. My work desktop is Linux. I'm around 40 yo. Linux is not complicated. Windows is complicated. I love windows for the most part, but to say Linux is more complicated than windows is just juvenile and ignorant.

>I don't want bloat because I'm living in 1999 and my megabyte of space isn't enough guys

Alternatively:
>I don't need any of these programs, for realsies.
>Oops, guess I do. I'll just reinstall all these programs on arch in a slightly less functional and pain the ass way when i do need them

lolk go back to Sup Forums fag

I had a year with SteamOS.
It was pretty shitty famalam. It's literally big picture mode but it's own ubuntu or debian?(can't remember) based OS.

tl:dr
Just download windows if you want to play games on steam

>I'll just reinstall all these programs
I currently have 639 packages on arch. Tell me how many you have on ubuntu.
The fact is, you don't need thousands of packages, and all I'm saying is that some people don't want them either. There's nothing wrong with that.

anime website

Firefox

Oh, I see. You're more of a /d/ person aren't you?

You're a bigger faggot than OP, Ben.

welp the shitposting has been good anons, seeya. I'll post tomorrow with my SteamOS memes

CENTOS MASTER RACE

Winfag here, had dual booted at one point in time, but Ubuntu attemptes to eat my Win partition. Anywho, alot of Win programs I used werent working well with it, mainly Ableton, my music production software. I think it was Wine that i used to try to overcome this. You fags have any reccomendations for me to get back into it?
I generally really liked the layout and the way it ran. Was sleek.

>I generally really liked the layout
you don't know what linux is do you...

>salem
>king gizzard and the lizard wizard
Good listens there user.

Even Red Hat thinks you're a joke
*Whispers "but I love you"*

Im fully aware. Get off your 1337 high horse, was a legitimate question.

>Ubuntu attemptes to eat my Win partition
Could you elaborate on that? You're supposed to have two partitions; one for windows and one for linux. They will not interact with the other partition by default, so I'm not sure what you mean by "eating" up your win partition.

Secondly, linux doesn't have an appearance. It depends on the Desktop Environment (DE) or Window Manager (WM) you have installed. Even among those, there is a ridiculous amount of customization.

do you mean masochist

>Arch
Do you enjoy putting in several hours a week just so your fucking PC works

>Create a .sh file once that takes parameter file location
>????
>Profit

Pretty comfy
I hear Arch is a pain in the ass though
What have you done to yours?

>but what else will I do with my 64gb of ram!
run something useful in its place and btw bloat is a security risk