How can I make myself a better driver...

How can I make myself a better driver? I'm planning on applying at different places outside of this shit town but I've only driven on the highways twice and I just don't feel that confident. I have my license and everything but still. Help me adult, b

Look up videos like
>How to merge
>How to use exit ramps
Highway driving is easy, city driving is pretty stressful though.

Stay calm, if you overthink it it’ll be more than it needs to be.

Do you drive regularly? Just start on small roads and move up. Driving in the city is shitty but highways you can usually just cruse. Stick to the right lanes and maintain at least 5 above or more of the speed limit. Watch semis for blind spots and merging. Drive how you would normally but notice there are more cars around you.

Practice makes perfect.
The more you do it, the easier it gets.

I just drive to my current fast food job daily. And it's less than five minutes away

Driving a car is just something you get used to over time.

>be me
>dad won't teach me
>mom has me drive her around a few times
>1 day driving school for insurance bullshit or whatever in combination with three hands on sessions
>that is all for training
>then sent to school an hour away every day through rush hour in the largest city in my state

You just need to be where you need to be, commit to getting there and you-will-get-there. Before long, you'll have one hand out the window throwing the bird at some other driver while swiping right on hot or not because yeah, those girls are dirtier...and that's how you like it.

>driving is a set of many different skills, you don't get better unless you practice
>learn to GPS navigation on your phone
>don't fuck with your phone while you're driving
>don't drive when you're sleepy

That's literally it.

I was scared of driving until I was 19 and had to drive to classes every day. Now I actually enjoy it and I've never had an accident or ticket.

just goona reply to myself real quick. DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE. You could kill someone.

This. Don't be a piece of shit. If you're scared driving then go slow the first few times and ignore everyone else passing you.

>see people driving across campus while using their phone
>like they legit are looking down when they drive past me

lads how do i kill people but make it clear i am making society better

I never use my phone at all while driving. Couldn't I get a ticket for going TOO slow?

pretty much this, practice morning driving on like sundays (less people out and about). once you feel comfortable, drive during rush hour, then at night. Just practice practice practice.

thats if you go like 15 under speed limit. Go either speed limit or like 5 under. Really just go how fast you feel comfortable going.

you just drive more. everyone sucks at it at first. explore the roads around your town.

> while swiping right on hot or not because yeah, those girls are dirtier...and that's how you like it.

keekz

>Couldn't I get a ticket for going TOO slow?
I've never seen it happen and I have driven with people who go 10-15 under the speed limit, are old, and clearly a danger on the road.

The only time you'll get pulled over for driving slow is if you look like you are drunk., its 2 am on a saturday night.

I just drive the speed limit. if you are getting scared, hang out in the right lane which is slower. leave a few car lenghts between you and the car in front of you.

you'll be fine - everyone goes through this.

1. Use your goddamn blinker when merging and turning.

2. Pay attention.

3. Check your blind spots.

4. When on the freeway, SPEED UP. You need to MATCH THE PACE OF TRAFFIC. Once you understand this, and get the hang of gauging how fast cars are going, merging is literally no problem.

5. Pay attention.

6. Stay at LEAST 1 to 2 car lengths behind a motherfucker. When it's raining/wet, keep 3 to 4 lengths behind. When it's snowing/icy out, 5 to 6 lengths or more. Especially when there's snow and ice on the road, you literally can't be too fucking safe.

7. Pay. Fucking. Attention.

8. On the subject of icy roads: don't accelerate OR decelerate too quickly. Don't turn fast. If you're losing control, TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF OFF THE PEDALS and try to turn your wheels into the direction the car is sliding.

9. Pay fucking attention.

10. Better safe than sorry. Would you rather be a timid little bitch who's another 10-20 minutes late because you weren't 100 percent sure you could merge safely, or a fucking corpse/jailed for killing someone/thousands in debt due to an accident?

Don’t read the internet while driving

Well now there at least two people on Earth who actually know how to drive properly: myself, and

as a tip from someone who has slid off of the road before due to ice. When you turn into the direction that your sliding, DO NOT OVER COMPENSATE THE SLIDE. That is, if your sliding like 30 degrees one way compensate like 20 the other way and let the car straighten itself out. If you over compensate you WILL spin yourself out.

>I've only driven on the highways twice and I just don't feel that confident

Are you a woman ?

>women on Sup Forums

watch fast and furious

If you live in a particularly snowy or rainy area then you should get a feel for the limits of your car. Go to a large empty parking lot with nothing in your way. Try pulling the e-brake at different speeds. Try turning hard. Etc.

I live in shit hole, Texas. Its always hot and dry

How does it feel to be less able than even the most basic self-driving car system? Can you imagine how little use there will be for human intelligence in the near future?

Texas highways are pretty big. They can be intimidating. So can the city. Try back roads if you know any. Just drive with no particular destination in mind. Practice makes perfect. Then move to surface streets in the city with more traffic. Keep a decent length away from the car in front of you. If you gotta jam on the brakes and the dude behind you hits you, that's his fault not yours.

Drink some whiskey to take the edge off.

But seriously, go drive to a mostly vacant road during daylight (with a friend if you're really uncomfortable) and spend a few hours getting comfortable with the road itself. I'd go with a backwoods highway that has room on the shoulder to let people pass. That will help getting comfortable with higher speeds, without causing panic when someone wants to go faster than you. It's like learning checkers. Once you understand the board, the game is easy.

the first time i drove, i was 15. my dad took me to an empty parking lot to practice the fundamentals. he just had me do turns to practice the rhythm of breaking, turning the wheel and accelerating at the right time. it felt rigid and uncomfortable at first, but with practice i got the feel for it.

practice is key. use only one car for awhile if possible and get comfortable with the way the wheel feels in your hands, and how the vehicle reacts to every subtle movement. spend enough time and you'll be great at it soon enough

practice driving when your drunk so you'll be better when sober