Why don't millennials listen to rock music?

Why don't millennials listen to rock music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U
youtube.com/watch?v=nOxchdd9chw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reply to my fucking thread you fucking dickless little fucks

Because macho posturing is very very boring. It's all about being beautiful now.

They literally do

The pussification of America is almost complete.

For the same reason Gen X didn't listen to Jazz. Musical trends change, and people primarily listen to what is popular and hip, and that is no longer rock.

Faggot

Too many people listen to preening hipster shit. What happened to rocking out?

It seems that way.

Right. But why are different types of music popular with different people? Because they convey different EMOTIONS.

Rock is about anger and aggression and being as loud as you fucking want. Today's kids are just fucking pussies, listening to over-produced, sterile, bland crap.

Or they listen to Meme Grips which is even worse. Because they're trying to be edgy by listening to an African shouting over the top of something which isn't even music - it's like their lives have lost all meaning. They aren't even connected to their own ethnic group and their own heritage. It's fucking disgusting.

haha yeah dude. are you pumped for that new marilyn manson album?

>Faggot
There's nothing gay about a world where we all love eachother and are happy because of it.

LOL dude you suck

No, you'll find you do. When you wake up with terror and war on your doorstep for years, you'll wish for peace and love. It's easy to sit there with your easy life and your free time and lust after violence and hatred, but we'll make you see one day...when you're forced to love...

>hating macho posturing
>listening to hip hop

you sound pretty judgemental for such a peace loving person

rock is by its nature abrasive and disruptive to current societal expectations. today's youth are preoccupied with fitting in and not offending others.

They do, OP is a faggot

People listen nowadays to different genres, not just one thanks to internet
/thread

This lol

>They aren't even connected to their own ethnic group and their own heritage
Rock isn't exclusively white music, especially not the stuff that "rocks out"

Where did i say i listen to hip hop? It's barbaric.

I'm not judging anyone, i'm giving you the facts of life my dear.

This

Current music is the same as old music. It's all about rebelling against your parents, and being angsty, and being cool. That's all rock was, except now it's what the parents listen to. Mainstream pop/rock has always been mostly a lost cause.
It's also never been about being "connected to their own ethnic group and their own heritage." This isn't the old school attitude, it's the making an appeal to your dad attitude

>my dear
holy fuck, tell me what you eat on a day to day basis

saw your daily shitpost here. got confused. thought i was in Sup Forums where you post photos of Soe each afternoon and ask why women won't ever touch your dick.

the answer is because the greasy sheen of mayo-sweat on your tiny cock is foul and repellant, btw.

anyway, millennials do listen to rock music. there have been a hundred arguments about whether the new QOTSA album is good or not on Sup Forums alone. suggests to me that people are listening to rock and forming opinions.

see you tomorrow, tubbs!

>They aren't even connected to their own ethnic group and their own heritage
>Rock Music

Uh.. might want to look into music history a little, fella

Pussy. Because women love me for being so loving and caring. It bring great success and much joy, you should try it sometimes instead of being so barbaric.

> Waah waah young people don't listen anymore to the music I listen to, those faggots are so immature!!

Fuck off. Average music trends shift as time passes. Stop labelling people whose only crime is having different tastes because you are a manly man who listens to manly music, because the generation before yours said the same thing about you not being classy enough for jazz.
It's not that young people are becoming pussies, you're just getting into your young-people-are-the-bane-of-the-universe phase. And this has existed since ever (see pic related and Socrates's quote about youngsters).

Listen to what you like listening to, let others do the same and shut the fuck up. Plus there are actually a lot of teenagers who listen to rock so I don't see the problem with it.

Lma o

Why are you here ir youre not a millenial, you stupid old fuck/kid

Because their dads do. It's really as simple as that.

I am one and I listen to rock

hahaha he's trying to larp as a white nationalist while NOT on pol!!! hahahahahah

Rock is dead

>ARE MILLENNIALS KILLING MUSIC

Because white people are lame and uncool

But I do

Death Grips is basically noise rock/hardcore punk but with electronic hip hopish instrumentation. Besides rock was started by black people you absolute idiot. Rock isn't only about being loud and angry,90% of the most acclaimed rock albums are the opposite actually. I hope this is just bait that I took and that you aren't actually this retarded.

because rock n roll is a shit jewish genre corrupted by the culture industry

white guilt and jewish psyops. rock did not die from natural causes, it was assassinated

You do realize that dadrock existed as far back as the 80s. You think kids still gave a shit about Chuck Berry or Steppenwolf in 1988? Yet rock was very much alive and well then and kids listened to it, but they listened to young, current bands like Megadeth or the Pixies.

Rock died in the mainstream because major record labels stopped signing bands. It's that simple. It has little if anything to do with what kids do or don't listen to.

It's interesting to ponder why Gen Xers took up the torch of rawk from the boomers but Millenials failed to do same.

post-vidya world

there was no need for music to have fun

Too busy being chavs.

Due to rampant consumer culture and the increasing superficiality of human interaction brought upon by social media it's arguable that millennials and Gen Zers don't really have a cultural identity and thus don't listen to any imparticular style of music.

The one upside of this is that cultural nostalgia won't be a thing 25 years from now. This no rose tinted glasses or le wrong generation when talking about the 2010s.

>imparticular

>This no rose tinted glasses or le wrong generation when talking about the 2010s.
because the world is a fucking terrible place now and everyone knows it. there's nothing to be nostalgic over. we were objectively better off in the 70's than today

I do.

The 70s and 80s were objectively a shit time to live. Things are much better now.

This can be proven empirically.

i saw a guy with a leather vest wearing a metallica shirt talking to a girl today made me so mad

Why don't 90s babies make good rock music?

youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U

but i do, i like garage rock and surf punk

god damn i wish this thread would get some serious replies... or anything remotely thought out.

The obvious
>rock just ran out of steam, isn't innovative anymore
>the success of nirvana ushering in butt rock, post grunge bland boring shit etc
>"rockers" and people who make it increasingly looking back and rehashing ideas from post punk and retreating back to the roots
>all the "new" rock is hidden away among metal crowds that don't give a shit about being mainstream

Something that i haven't seen brought up that actually makes sense in this cultural climate: BLACK PEOPLE DON'T SUPPORT IT.

It's white, it's old, and it's safe.

There's a fuck load to discuss about black culture's influence on the mainstream, but right now more so than the past, black people are viewed both as "outsiders" that create an air of danger (because racial tension blah blah blah) and there's simultaneously a growing support and willingness to focus on it for social justice points.

>the success of nirvana ushering in butt rock

kurt made up for it by killing himself though

>BLACK PEOPLE
youtube.com/watch?v=nOxchdd9chw

>Things are much better now.
This is fine.

The world is ending you fucking idiot, turn on the news.

>he watches the news

GOOD GOY

:(

fuck, does it look like i'm meming racism like jew conspiracy or some shit? damn

>he can't see what's happening with his own eyes.
The world is literally turning into the Antichrist's paradise.

It's simple really. Millennials, at least the younger ones (20-30ish), center their lives around social media. Rock isn't a social media friendly genre like Hip-Hop and Pop, whose vapidness and gloss fits perfectly into the twitter, facebook, and tumblr verses. Hip-Hop and Pop are genres of catchphrases and can easily go more "viral" than Rock songs.

Nothing to do with the well-worn claim that rock doesn't "innovate" anymore. It's impossible to quantify artistic innovation and I'm also not sure what's innovative about mumbling about drugs and money over simple trap beats and basslines.

>They aren't even connected to their own ethnic group and their own heritage. It's fucking disgusting.

can you please detail to me the white "ethnic heritage?"

Blacks have had nothing to do with rock since Jimi Hendrix, by the 70s already rock was white as a snowflake. That's not a credible reason.

>Rock isn't a social media friendly genre like Hip-Hop and Pop, whose vapidness and gloss fits perfectly into the twitter, facebook, and tumblr verses

this for sure.

>The one upside of this is that cultural nostalgia won't be a thing 25 years from now. This no rose tinted glasses or le wrong generation when talking about the 2010s.

You'd be surprised, shit in Eastern Europe there are old fucks who talk nostalgically of the 70s when they lived under the Soviet boot and stood in breadlines for hours.

didn't even read it

Of course I read it. The poster is saying rock stopped being edgy because it lost its connections to black culture, but this hasn't been a thing since the 60s.

He was obviously talking about 80s rock and not some synth pop/art/ rock you listen to little faggot.Doubt it was a bait,i just have to decide who is the retard here,won't take long.

Yep,it's you.

I mean, think about the 80s when the PMRC was a thing and church groups were burning piles of metal records. Metal sure had nothing to do with black culture or anything happening in black music at that time, yet people were freaking out about it left and right.

>Something that i haven't seen brought up that actually makes sense in this cultural climate: BLACK PEOPLE DON'T SUPPORT IT.
Black people don't support any music. They don't buy albums or go to concerts. The only industries they support are malt liquor and swisher sweets.

i think he was referring more to black culture being more influential now.

jimi hendrix was marketed as an english act and never would have been successful without two white guys in his band.

i'm not 100% on when black people hopped off rock but they seemed more focused jazz, funk and soul shit before hip hop started being a dominant force, all of that was going on while rock was still relevant

lol it's about cultural influence not spending habits... though i think you could say that about tv and movies now

>i'm not 100% on when black people hopped off rock
Hendrix was pretty much the last black rock star of significance, although a lot of the funksters like Eddie Hazel were influenced by him.

By 1970, the record industry had clearly split into white rock music and black soul/funk/R&B.

>It's white, it's old, and it's safe

Depends on what you define as old, white, and safe. Now that Hendrix/Zeppelin blues rock sound is definitely OWS, it was already dadrock-tier by the 80s.

90s bands like Korn did an entirely new approach to rock based on textures and effects rather than the blues scale. Or I should say they took into the mainstream the work of underground 80s bands like Sonic Youth.

>rock based on textures and effects

i never understood the hate for nu metal for this reason- it had that nasty attitude and was simple enough to serve as a template for a lot of experimenting in the same way hip hop does because of how a beat and rap vocals don't require harmony. imagine some shit like animal collective or the mars volta mashed over limp bizkit with good lyrics... i mean maybe not exactly that but i think the potential is obvious

imo industrial shit and and nu metal were the last places of any exploration without getting overly complicated.... i think those are what will end up coming back

They wont though because social justice stuff like being a liberal or nazi is popular now

No. He's a faggot. If it's even a he.

Faggot.

>Rock isn't exclusively white music, especially not the stuff that "rocks out"
Oh really? Please tell me how many black people there are in rock music - there are SOME, but after all this time, they're still an absolutely TINY minority. There are Latinos and some Asians in rock music though, I'll admit that.

Muhammad Ali said the races are different and he preferred to be with his own kind. I think that's how it is to be honest.

>It's also never been about being "connected to their own ethnic group and their own heritage."
Oh really? Then why do black people all listen to rap music? They see rock music as white people's music. It's only white people who go around with this "I don't even see race!" crap.

Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix... fifty, sixty years ago. How many rock musicians these days are black? There are some, e.g. Thomas Pridgen, but very few.

I feel sorry for people who don't have an appreciation of their heritage and who look for an identity in other people's heritage.

Like I said above, Chuck Berry and Hendrix were around ages ago. Since then, rock music has had very, very, very few black people in it.

Black people listen to rap don't they? Very few black people play rock music because they see it as white people's music. I used to listen to rap, but then when I realised they despise our music, I just thought "why the fuck am I listening to their music"?

White heritage ultimately stems from Europe, but that doesn't really matter - what matters is that the races are different and they make different music.

what does them choong between being a nazi or liberal have to do with them not coming back?

???

of course you have to start spewing hate

its the modern day internet what do you think he would say besides that sort of stuff?

I mean social justice stuff like tumblr or whatever blog pages nazis look at. People are just more into groups now and dont really do their own thing. Being called a special snowflake is like a thing now. I remember before cod4 came out if you talked about video games at school, you would be made fun of.

oh okay yeah i get what you mean now

oh lmao

yeah you said it a little weird but being splintered off into groups is weird now.... i think the effect of that is more that what will be in popular music is the lowest common denominator from all music (simple synths 4 on the floor dumb lyrics etc) but that's always been the case

i normally wouldn't care but i'm actually interested in this topic :((((

nothing wrong with being interested in that topic you just gotta expect alot of negative shit now is all

i'm normally the negative shit

the last time i was actually annoyed by something "offensive" was when kurt cobain sang into a shotgun on southpark

fuck this feeling i can't believe normies feel this way all the time

i dunno how can one make rock music today and that's not cliched bullshit that could possibly get some social media attention?

This but unironically

ITT

>be black
>become famous left field rapper
>make it into the high tiers of mainstream with catchy music
>come out as gay and immediately release an album of experimental rocks songs
>???
>accept that your career is over

off topic, were talking about modern rock being shit and how to try to fix it not numales but okay

>who is tyler the creator

also im native american and people tell me i should make hip hop hmmmm

Times have just changed, rock used to mean rebellion against the uptight white people. People don't glorify white guys wearing blue jeans playing rock anymore. But now those same trust fund kids they used to hate are all about acting/talking black now.

yeah i know

There is already a 50 year backlog of rock music. Anything new is just a rehash.

Rock wasn't aggressive until the seventies what the fuck are you talking about

Have you ever heard an electric guitar in real life before? You do realize the beatles were literally like a rock band you'd hear in a garage?

Because once a youth subculture becomes something that your parents used to do, it stops being a cool and rebellious subculture. Punk stopped being cool when punks started being dads. The last relevant rock genre, grunge, stopped being cool when grunge kids became dads.

Black kids don't have dads so they'll never ruin hip hop for them.

>if they feature a guitar it's just a rehash

I don't intend to hate. But when you look at other people in the world, you see that they take pride in themselves, their own culture, and their own music - music is in fact a very important aspect of cultural identity. That's why different cultures have different music. It signifies who they are.

So I just prefer to listen to music of people I identify with, that's all.

Basically this, yes. You've hit the nail on the head.

In the current music scene yes.

yeah thats fine

every idiot guitar player today wants to be a special snowflake rockstar thats why modern guitar is bullshit
they wont take a backseat is the problem