I'm thinking about buying a gun. What do you think about .44 magnums?

I'm thinking about buying a gun. What do you think about .44 magnums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SyvYEv2YcKg
budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_2108/products_id/31302/Taurus 66B4 M66 7RD 357MAG 4
budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_2108/products_id/70257/Ruger 1704 GP100 GP-161 6RD 357MAG/38SP +P 6
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Depends what you want it for.

Most fun you'll ever have breaking a thumb

They're really really loud.

Good choice, However if you are not experienced with hand guns you might like a 9mm or 380 to start. Very fast round and if you use hollow points they have stopping power. Just a better learning experience.

Home defense

fun but expensive and it will beat you up on the range. I recommend a .357 magnum revolver instead

What kinds of 380 are good?

are you hunting trolls or what?

>What do you think about .44 magnums

Pro: Extremely powerful for a handgun
Cons:
-huge blast and flash
-heavy recoil
-expensive to feed, ammo is costly compared to other lesser handguns
-Large, harder to conceal without a jacket

To me, it's not practical, but for someone else it might be.

Not really taking to the range much, maybe a few times but I just wanted something to keep in my drawer in the living room. I live in a big city so I'm just looking for home protection

Check out the Bersa thunder 380. Compact but has great feel to it. Metal so it has a nice weight as well. Plus it’s based off the ppk so it has a classic design.

big scary revolver. kicks hard. hope you know how to use it.

a 9mm is enough to drop anyone who breaks into your home.

a .44 revolver is just to make you feel better about your dick.

ask yourself this though. do you really think you'll have the mental presence to use a gun on the off chance someone breaks in? Most people panic or freeze up. Odds are, you're most people. Call of Duty isn't real life.

either you're a handgun collector (thus any handgun is good as long as you don't own it yet), or you need a gun you're actually able tu use.

then, if you need to ask, it means it's your first handgun.
I'd go for a reliable 9mm one, like the Beretta 92F.
if you're a woman, I'd go for a CZ-75.

remember to take your shooting lessons.

The problem with .44s is that although you don't have to worry about stopping (blowing away) your target, you DO have to worry about what's behind your target, including the next house over. There's also a ton of kick, so accuracy on follow-up shots is going to be an issue without lots of practice.

I agree with the .380/9mm suggestions here. Safer, more accurate for beginners, and have enough stopping power.

Glock mode 42
Bersa Thunder

There are others, but people like those

then you need a light and small gun, because you don't want to kill your dog when bullets go ricocheting stray wallpuncturing etc

I'm new to guns and shot the 9mm but its not powerful enough. How does the 380 compare? I asked about the .44 magnum because I want something that will stop whatevers running at me

get a ruger red hawk 44

>looking for home protection
12ga shotgun is best

Bad idea for a first gun OP, especially as a home defense. Get a 9mm to start or a .45. Go to a range and ask to try some guns, get their opinions on what they’d recommend.
Personally I’ve got a Sig 1911 .45, M&P shield 9mm, and a Kimber 1911 in 9mm. Any of those would be good to look into.

i think you know absolutely nothing about guns if you're actually considering a .44 as your first gun.

youtube.com/watch?v=SyvYEv2YcKg

Youll put holes in the attacker, the wall behind him, and whatever was on the other side of the wall

the first shot wrecks the wall and kills your neighbor

a 9mm is fine. a fucking home intruder isn't wearing body armor.

if they can afford body armor, odds are they don't need to be robbing your shitty house.

>I'm new to guns and shot the 9mm but its not powerful enough

It's plenty powerful enough with the right ammo

Unless you're hunting big game its probably the wrong tool for the job. Its almost certainly the wrong first firearm.

What kind of .45 is good?

If you need to ask, don't get a .44 magnum lol

you cucks must live in really shitty apartments if you're worried about neighbors.

Same, but thinking smaller like 38 spl or 357 snub nose revolver for home defense

>Youll put holes in the attacker, the wall behind him, and whatever was on the other side of the wall

Not true - especially if you use buckshot. The shotgun is the best close range self defense money can buy. It's a one shot stop.

Glock makes a .40 that's good for home defense I like the glock 23. I would buy a taser if you live in apartments though. Too high of a risk harming a neighbor. Bullets cut through sheet rock like butter. It's a 1 in 30ish chance you will hit a stud. Be safe and use your head.

I would only recommend a .44 in a lever action rifle. They are tons of fun to shoot.

I want stopping power, something that they'll remember for the rest of their lives. 3 niggers broke into my house while I was a work last week and stole $1500 worth of stuff

Unless your name is Dirty Harry it is always the wrong tool for the job

I was considering this one. Seems like it's be alright for a starting pistol

Hollow points. The mushroom when the hit. Will give 9mm and 380 enough stopping power.

>What kind of .45 is good?

There isn't one. It's a heavy slow round that fails to produce sufficient shock to stop an attacker, unless it's in the face.

Second the Bersa Thunder. Cheap and nice. The Ruger 380s are great too.

>9mm but its not powerful enough.

+P and hollow points are fine. You're talking about home defense, which means people. .44mag is deigned to be able to penetrate thick hides and intermediate bone on the way to bear and elk hearts and lungs. Its not just something you don't need for humans, its actively detrimental because it means you'll have less time for follow up shots and a much higher likelihood of your bullet going through your target without sufficient expansion.

Yeah so buy the gun then they'll burgle your house again but get your gun as well. People break in when you aren't home for a reason. And if three people break in you're going to miss all three with yo big scawwy gun, you might hit one but you're not hitting a damn thing afterwards. Except walls

>380 enough stopping power.
>hollow points

Nope. .380 fails to penetrate deeply enough with hollow points. .380 is best used with ball ammo.

Stopping power doesn't mean anything when you can't hit them

Go with a .357 ammo is cheaper and can run .38 special as well. Plenty of stopping power with full house magnum rounds and lighter to carry. Also plenty accurate at distance. A 6' GP 100 is a good choice.

Its not a bad idea if you want to go after brown bear with a pistol. I mean, bear hunting with a pistol is a bad idea, but if you're going to do it, .44 isn't the wrong call.

Anyone recommend a gun that won't kill anybody but just enough to scare them if there is a break in?

They're cool but not very practical. Get a 1911 (.45) or a glock 19. Then get a magnum of you still feel like you need one.

Actually it does just fine

Pump action shot gun. Rock salt rounds

>3 niggers broke into my house while I was a work

You need to get a camera system, an alarm system, and gun.

Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm, can't go wrong

reliable, good grips, respectable magazine size. Load it with hollow tips and you're set for self-defense.

Only if you're shooting slugs. Shotguns have the up close effectiveness and the lowest long range penetration. Kinda the whole point of them.

Besides that, a pump shotgun serves two great purposes for home defense: 1. once you rack the slide (pump the shotgun) whoever is in your house will hear it and run. 2. If they don't and you shoot toward them they're gonna look like ground beef afterward, even if you aren't accurate.

>Actually it does just fine

Sure it does, if you don't know anything about .380

anything in a .22

>Rock salt rounds

He isn't a railroad bull in the 60s. Using anything other than the kind of ammo local police use with a similar weapon is begging to get the Harold Fish treatment.

Why would you get rock salt rounds ?
Fun fact as a kid got shot with some while running away from a house me and some people broke into the garage of. Not fun

Glocks all the way, glock 19 is a perfect start gun, 16 rounds of 9mm, wont over penetrate other walls, fairly lightweight, easily concealable.

Chances are you wont hit a target the first few shots you pop off, higher capacity makes up for "lack of power" and this is especially good since the chances of multiple attackers is very high. 5 rounds of .44 magnum arent gonna do you any good against 3 or 4 guys. Reloading a revolver is almost impossible to do under high stress situations too.

Pow-R-Ball is the best of both worlds

>buying anything but a revolver from S&W

fucking cuck

One more thing to consider. 9mm and 380 are the cheapest and most abundant ammo. You don’t want to learn on a gun that shoots a buck a bullet. You will burn a couple hundred rounds just getting familiar with your gun.

Kel-tec PMR 30

1 Magazine holds 30rds of 22 Winchester magnums.

fuck .44 get a 500 S&W

I already have an alarm thats how I caught them, but it will happen again and I want a big gun

>being this uninformed about guns

this isn't a thread you should even be in

If they're in your house, stealing your shit, with your wife and kids in there, you should just fucking kill them op. Maybe you shoot them with a non lethal round and they get pissed and fire back and kill your ass, or they miss you and the bullet goes through the wall and kills your kid.

If u go that route might as well get a .357 magnum and but use .38 special to learn. Then atleast you can upgrade with out purchasing a new gun.

He said scary but less leathal.

you must live in an isolated cottage in Northern Territories

Correct. .380 is a poor combat round in general.

You're gonna pay a lot for ammo.

You sound unstable

forgot pic. but these are excellent

break-ins are an automatic qualifier for self-defense in virtually every state. you can shoot to kill, and you should.

Agreed. I upgraded from 9mm to .40 S&W Have a Ruger SR 40 and four magazines loaded with hollow points ready to go. 60 rounds of .40 will handle about any situation.

.357 mag so you can also shoot 38 special. Lot of uses for both rounds. Smith and Wesson make some great one if you can afford it.

I don't see myself becoming a collector, and I'm not trying to break the bank. That's a pretty cheap revolver to learn on and I'm not really planning on taking it out of the house for anything besides range days.
It's around $240, for reference

Pump action shot gun, blank round in the chamber, live rounds in the tube. Fire the blank and if they keep coming let em have some lead or steel.

When getting a revolver like that always go with a .357 over a straight .38 special. You can still run any .38 ammo you want through it as well as full on .357 magnum rounds if you want to step it up. Worth a few extra bucks to get the magnum. Hell the Taurus ones are actually pretty good and some of em are only like 350.00

these rounds make the best use of the .380 platform.

This round put Lehigh Defense on the map for .380

>even if you aren't accurate.
At 10 yards you're talking about a 1-3" spread pattern with a cylinder choke.

Go to /k/
But its big shack weapons of choice
>Mfw a .44 gives u advantage when ur chilling in the corridor

What do you need 44 for? 1 is enough, don't you think?

Really cool looking gun. not very practical

No I'm not unstable, I just don't want to get robbed again

Dude they will just take your gun to next time. The gun wont do shit when you aren't there is use it.

Interesting. Any models in particular I should be looking at? Again preferably something that isn't too expensive

Unless you live in a mansion the spread of a shotgun really doesn't come into play

This.

I like these, because they have very little recoil, and you get 30 rounds in a single magazine.

Thats a terrible idea. Using a less-than-lethal firearm is still using a firearm and using a firearm is deadly force in all 50 states whether you've got beanbags or buckshot. Shooting at someone has a reasonable expectation of killing them, especially at contact range, and using nonlethal ammunition is generally seen as identical to shooting to wound: its a tacit admission that you felt you didn't need to use deadly force WHILE YOU WERE USING DEADLY FORCE.

Don't do this.

if all you are looking for is home defense, get a pump action shotgun. doesn't shoot through multiple walls, no need for good aim, extremely lethal.

A 44 isnt that bad. I owned a 500 mag for a while as a novelty. I put over 1500 rounds down it and even that isnt a wrist breaker.

>I just don't want to get robbed again

You were not robbed; you were burgled. There is a difference, so you at least need to configure your security for burglary

Not for your first gun. I would go to the shooting range and try a couple. A safer one to try that still packs a satisfying kick is a .357

But for me, .40 pistols is where It's at. Sturdier than 9mm not as sluggish as .45... just perfect.

budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_2108/products_id/31302/Taurus 66B4 M66 7RD 357MAG 4

A 4" .357 service revolver. Taurus and its 360.00

This one though is what I would go with if you want to spend a little more and get a lot back in quality. This is the Ruger GP 100. This thing will last you the rest of your life and you will be able to leave it to your son one day. Like 580.00 and worth every penny.
budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_2108/products_id/70257/Ruger 1704 GP100 GP-161 6RD 357MAG/38SP +P 6

>be me, burglar
>trespass & break in
>dude is frantically searching for his gun
>stay there and laugh at him
>he tries to load the gun
>five minutes later the gun is eventually loaded
>he shouts at me he'll shoot
>yawn.mp3
>he tries to shoot, but he forgot to unlock the safe
>I'm still sitting on the couch waiting for him to shoot
>after 4 or 5 tries he eventually succeeds in unlocking with his sweaty fingers
>he shoots
>wtf, it was a dud
>laugh.mp4
>he shoots all the duds
>evenmoarlaugh.wav
>he unloads, an bursts into another room to get actual ammo
>notthere.jpg
>neitherthere.gif
>noteventhere.png
>I take a nap
>some 25 minutes later he's back with the ammo
>tries to load
>sweaty fingers make it like some The Three Stooges
>wake up and yawn
>he's still loading his gun, seems to have a harder time than before
>grab a sandwitch, sip a coffee, give him a retarded look like "are you ready bro?"
>he finally loaded the gun
>grabs it like John Wayne but without trigger discipline
>BANG!!!!.exe
>he shot his own foot
>while he shouts "oowww ow owwww" spilling blood everywhere, I proceed to steal valuables and go away

Just to summarize some quick points:

.44 magnum is terrible for home defense due to strong kick, low capacity, high penetration

you need to train if you want any gun to be effective in any way

don't get a shotgun for home defense, it suffers the same issues as the .44

9mm is plenty powerful, don't be retarded

get a flashlight attachment

You're a big strong man