Why in Star Trek do they refer to them as alien "races"...

Why in Star Trek do they refer to them as alien "races". Souldn't it be alien "species" as they are not related to humans at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k-j69iVReEU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes.

they do refer to them as species

Humans are sometimes refered to as the human race.

Watching ST what a beta. Man up fag Star Wars

only when we are competing on how many niggers who shoots

all multi-molecular life is the same, hence calling them races to differentiate is logical

Because that also includes alien non-sentient animal species. Races being used referred to a more equal footing aspect

If they can interbreed with humans and produce viable offspring, they're not a separate species. Trek has all sorts of hybrids running around, so they're all the same species. That's how you science.

the borg do

They made it clear in an episode that there was an original race which was alone and then went around seeding all the planets.

All of the races in Star Trek, the majority of the ones we know at least, all come from the same genetics, hence - same group'ish.

Just because we have a common ancestor doesn't mean we are the same species.

Because they are humanoid.

In TNG they revealed they all share a common ancestor. Take that as you will.

See

most of them are related to humans
watch TNG again

a group of living organisms consisting of similar individuals capable of exchanging genes or interbreeding. The species is the principal natural taxonomic unit, ranking below a genus and denoted by a Latin binomial, e.g., Homo sapiens.

I think it would actually mean that they ARE the same species for the most part.

They ought to all have come from the same fucking genetic line, being bipedal hominids, all of them.

Only the silicon-based lifeform in TOS was really very impressive as life forms go.

youtube.com/watch?v=k-j69iVReEU

I think they use "race" to lend credibility to them having a chance in the race of dominant whites.

Same as we say black is a race, when in reality they are a sub species

speciesist

wait no way
I just downloaded the entire TNG in bluray, which episode, do you remember? I'll watch it tonight.

I vaguely remember tying together a line connecting the white/goatee Klingons in TOS to the planet DS9 crew went back in time and got stuck on, realizing that if they left and the world WASN"T destroyed by their return, Worf's genetic line would continue, as Klingons, but interbred on that planet with all the other white ppl for generations until space travel took them off it. ...making the white Klingons in TOS Worfs descendants, which makes it really funny when they pop back into the Tribble episode and ask him what's up with the white Klingons, and he just goes "ehhh, we do not talk about that..." lol he did it. I think they squashed this possibility though by killing off that planet when they all returned. Can't remember.

related: they interbred with each other, user.
Most of aliens in Star Trek are humanoid genetic chimeras or maybe tulpas of our collective human mind...

Its science

>sub-species
?

Are you intending to claim that black people are a sub-category of white people? As in, white people reproduced and produced black people? Because that is what you're saying in the word "sub-species", though irl that would just be a branching off from each other, neither side sub of the other.

Watch ^^^that^^^

Because the different 'races' in Star Trek have always just been 2-dimensional proxies for whatever point about current racial politics that the writers want to make. And honestly, the way Star Trek deals with different species always bothered me.

Firstly, there's the fact that skin colour is the only difference between some species. I mean wtf, what kind of message does it send that people with different skin colours are clearly aliens? Then there's the fact that all aliens look exactly the same and dress exactly the same as each other - every Vulcan has exactly the same stupid haircut, every Klingon dresses the same as every other Klingon. Total cultural homogeneity. I say that black people all like fried chicken and I'm a racist, but in the Star Trek universe all Klingons ever eat and drink is blood wine and that worm stuff.

Then there's the tolerance of things that are against everything the federation is supposed to believe in. When the Federation made peace with the Klingon Empire, did it involve the Klingons freeing all their subject peoples? Nope. It's still an Empire. But now Star Fleet is friends with them, because hey, being nice to people who are different from you is way more important than things like freedom and democracy. And if a star fleet captain behaved like a Klingon, he'd be called a bloodthirsty savage, but you can't call Klingons that because it'd be racist, you have to call them 'proud and noble warriors'. Because tolerance is always a virtue no matter what you're tolerating. And it's not a cultural thing - in Star Trek canon Klingons are just genetically violent.

I've always suspected that liberals are super fucking racist (in the sense that they see everything in terms of racial groups, not any other catagory and certainly not individuals), and the only difference between them and the most rabid Nazi is that they have to be really nice to everyone who's different from them rather than really hostile.

Y'all are over thinking it. Gene made the original series during the civil rights struggle, so calling the aliens "races" made it more relatable then using "species". And the Klingons were the russians.

>long time ago
>our long ded race created all yers
What the hell is that dominion slut talking about, she's still around in DS9 and is a total cunt.

I love chalupas!