What is your absolute worst fear, and why?

What is your absolute worst fear, and why?

Mine is death, or rather nothingness. I am unable to conceive what my existence would be without my consciousness, and, to say the least, it frightens me to the point of being paralyzed, truly shaken, almost hyperventilating.
It's... uncontrollable...
How can one conceive nothingness when they've been something since the beginning of time?

Probably being sectioned and put into a mental health facility.
Not likely its gonna happen because I'm all good in that area. But who knows where my brain will be in 30, 40, 50 years time.

I absolutely understand.

Me too bro. I’ve had existential crises since I was 4 years old. They usually happen in the shower where I can’t distract myself. The only way I can get it to stop is by punching the wall in the shower. The worse the episode is, the more pain I have to inflict to get myself to stop.

You were nothing before, then you became a person, it's only logical that if you become nothing again you become something after.

My worst fear is talking to girls

You have to understand that everything is meaningless OP, just as it was before you were born, it will be after you die, time will pass us by and we'll be forever forgotten no matter what you did or did not. Enjoy your time for now and worry about dying when you are actually dying.

i guess being abandoned, and hell being whatever your mind conjures up, people believing i belong there, etc

also not getting any booty when i get trips or higher

I'm religious, so I don't fear death itself; but I do fear going out in an extremely painful way like skinning.

Being put in a situation that I cannot get myself out of
I mean like if I were to go to jail or do something that would affect my employment or permanently affect me physically like if I was paralysed or crippled or maybe a serious disfigurement like my face was burnt of or I lost an arm or a leg or my dick

I used to believe Death to be utmost deliverance, but then I realized life is the only thing I'll ever experience and that Death is the end of it all; I tried to understand what Death could be, but it's inconceivable. I am still very young, and I know that my time is (probably) in many, many years, but I just can't seem to accept that there will be nothingness at one time or another.

I could perceive Death as if I would only dream, or perhaps as a gateway to another place, depending on beliefs, but I just can't deny science and the idea that our existence is only chemical reactions; once those reactions stops, everything stops from one's point of view. It's terrifying.

Also, just how could I accept such an abrupt ending?

I can't wait, OP. No more work, no more stress, no more problems, no more trying to make ends meet.
Life is pain, I wait for my sweet release.

Remember how scary it was before you were born?

No, right?

We can't escape death.

Yeah I agree with you.
Getting my head cut off terrifies me, not because of death itself, but because of the pain.

As I said before OP, absolutely nothing matters, if you can understand the concept of death or not, if it is glorious and warm feeling or if it's cold and miserable, it'll happen nonetheless, and no matter how hard you tried, or how good of a human being you are, you will not escape it, it will come eventually for you and for everyone else, so really, just chill, take it easy, stop worrying about dying.

Years ago, I was diagnosed with depression, for a speculated 5-year-long period, and I got very suicidal I never tried anything, but I have looked into it. "How to die painlessly?" "Should I live?" and such were frequent internet searches and questions. I have thought of perhaps hanging myself or slitting my wrists, but I thought "That would hurt, right?" and you could say that it partly the fear of pain that kept me alive. I also had the instinct to give a reason to the people whom I had left behind; I started writing letters to the people who were important to me, but at seeing how many people that could be, I stopped and re-thought my choices.
And that's some of the reasons I'm alive today...

mine is living forever. Imagine the horror

The problem is that I am unable to accept that I will inadvertently die. I WANT to accept it, trust me, but I am incapable. You could even say that it is a phobia of mine.
I'd rather live forever than die. That's the extent of my fear of Death.

You are already dead, user.

Look dude you can experience nothingness just like blind people can't see.its not the fact that you experience a black void when you die you just cease to exist what im saying is that you dont have an eternal conthess you just feel nothing. nothing is terrifying concept because we cant even start to comprehend it because no ones ever experienced it and no one will

Remember those billions of years before you were born?

Yeah, it's gonna be a lot like that.

Being hunted by something much larger than me with no way of completely escaping or killing the hunter. Those are my worst nightmares, and I don't get why I have them.
But don't worry OP, the universe is filled with symmetry, symmetry of opposites. Protons to Electrons, Light to Dark, Heat to Cold, and Life to Death. Also in this universe, the law of conservation of energy is a thing. And so therefore if souls exist, the symmetry of the universe should also apply to souls. For if it is true for the most foundational of these newtonian echoes, why then should it not to the core of all Human life? Consciousness in life, Unconsciousness in death. And if energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only transfered, then our souls will be brought to life again eventually. And we will be none the wiser to it, blissful ignorance. This is all presuming of course, that souls actually exist in the first place. If not oh well, at least we won't be able to perceive oblivion. Again, blissful ignorance.

Good arguments, but that goes straight into beliefs; from what I see, you two believe that one's existence started billions and billions of years ago but only awoke for a human's life's worth of time at a specific epoch. On the other hand I could believe that my consciousness birthed the moment I exited the womb or the moment I realized I could really think for myself and react based on my own volitions (I'd say before 10 yrs old).
I'd say that the level of consciousness of an infant is little to null and only elevates as they age, with fruition at a certain age, and completely matures over the person's entire life.

So you'd rather believe that you live forever than stop existing
Fair enough man ignorance is bliss
I hope you enjoy your bliss while it lasts

I'm glad you got better, I'm a lot like you up until the letters. My friends actually wrote to me before I moved during high school and one said I stopped him from committing suicide. That really made me realize I was lucky to have friends I felt like I could do something for them. Now I'm feeling a ton better than I did before with my church and my friends.

What?

Try a deprivation tank or some shit. Whenever i give a shit about death i just remember how insignificant i actually am.

Mine's dying alone. Major abandonment issues so fuck that shit. By alone i mean no kids or friends or family.

That or getting raped. What do you do after that?

Mines a little weird i have an uncontrollable fear of open water even some pools give me anxiety and i panic heights make me get really really bad anxiety too i can barely watch a video of something high up and the worst part of all that is, is that i wanna be an astronaut

Go for it man

Become an astronaut; best of luck to you beating your fears

(I'm not the creator of this comment, but here I go.)
Maybe I died and this whole "life" thing is but a creation of my mind. It would create another life up until my death, then that death would create another life and so forth until eternity.

Fuck I surprised myself.

I can't rid myself of my own thoughts. And in a deprivation tank, I would be left with those only.
Bad idea.

Maybe you just need to be more aware of your thinking pattern and change the topic before going on a spiral?

that a giant rock will hit earth before we have sustainable colonies on Mars

Yea dude that feeds in to my fear of being put into a situation that I can get myself out of.
like being put into a environment that im not equipped for travelling in (water or space or a spiders web) with an apex predator who can move faster than you can in that environment

Btw im
Just so you know

I am aware of it, and I oftentimes get lost in thoughts that differ from Death, but it's always rampant, I must say. That's why I don't talk about such subjects face-to-face, even though I might want to.

No I got the comment I was making a joke

When I first saw it I thought it was a dolfin with a floppy mouth

Do you remember what it was like before you were born? Of course not, because you didn't exist. That's probably what it's like after death. It's not experiencing nothingness, it's not experiencing anything, at all, even your own internal thoughts, not blackness, not sorrow, no awareness, at all, of anything. It won't be pleasurable, or painful, you won't even know it's happening, because whatever you were is gone. That's the sad part, not that you will experience nothingness, because you won't, but that you won't experience anything. Whatever you put time and energy and emotions into, will just cease; that's it, no perspective, at all. You won't even get mourn the things you left unfinished. It's not like you'll be outside your body thinking about how bad being death is, you won't perceive anything. Not anguish. Not remorse. Not even peace. From you perspective, it'll be like you never existed.

Sup Forums is a pretty cool place, even if most people here are nihilists, because you get conversations like these

bump

no needs for bumps, just quality responses

>Not believing my perception of reality means you live in ignorance

Yea this is the coolest conversation I have ever had

That exactly what I want to accept, but as I said, I just cannot. I understand that there is nothing to accept, it'll be just like before my birth: nonexistence, but it's just SO incomprehensible that it completely goes against my nature, therefore I am unable to do anything except reject.
I can't go against myself even if I want to will all my being, with all my might. I am powerless.

there's no point of being afraid of things you can't control. It affects everyone just as it does you. Nobody likes the idea of death but it's what makes life so valuable. Don't waste yours thinking of inevitability. Take up some hobbies to get your mind focusing on other things.

My biggest fear is that I wont ever again ride that dick or Hug him. Its been scaring me a lot and since our last date I can only cry and desperately wait for his next message. Thinking again I might sound just like an emo cheap whore... But thats my life and I dont think I deserve to be treated as someone less important just because of that. Maybe I am overrating my feelings, but oh well. People here are saying they're afraid to die, which makes me think Im not alone when I am pathetic, since its one of the few inevitable things in shitty life. And the second one is definitely time travel~

Being out of control of my life. Something like being put in prison, mental hospital, or being permanently disabled/crippled. I'd rather die than lose control of my own person and my own faculties/functions. Suicide has always been a comfort to me for that reason, knowing that I can opt out at any time. Not that I necessarily intend to do so [I've had problems with suicidal thoughts] but the fact for me is, it's always an option and that gives me some degree of comfort.

Philosophical Skepticism. Not the type of skepticism we talk about most of time, that's a good thing. I'm not talking about just doubting one particular idea or experience, I'm talking about doubting everything. The idea that knowledge is impossible. Of course, rationalists and empiricists alike respond with, "doesn't that suppose a knowledge that knowledge is impossible?", and, yes, under normal modes of thought, that does carry through, but what if paradoxes could actually be true? That logic doesn't, actually, work? I wouldn't even know to believe if that was the case. I wouldn't even know how to think. I'd probably go insane.

And thats a reasonable fear i feel like for me space is the most beautiful thing in the world but Its scary because it has the openness of the ocean and the height of being on a sky scraper

Why should I believe your perception of reality
How do I not know that your not lieing to me
In fact how do I not know that your all not lieing to me
Jk I know that I shouldn't think in that type of circular philosophy
But dude im not saying that you can't believe you're perception of reality but I am saying that if you and I perceive the same reality. I believe that there isnt enough evidence (that I have seen) to prove that god exists.

>749884909

I think that one's been solved: "Cogito ergo sum." I guess you could question literally everything in existence, but it would be too inconvenient to do so.

Fucking spiders.

Even death is less scarier.

I get that whole death anxiety thing. It gets easier to deal with. I had a serious existential crisis after experiencing ego loss on DMT a couple years back, and at this point I've learned to make the most of the moments I have.

See, you have a phobia of spiders, I have one of Death.

Not having control of my body. I've never been drunk in my life or taken any kind of drug and I'm 26

Any insight as far as to why you're so terrified of spiders?

I used to be but then I decided to stop killing them when I find them in my house and just letting them be, since they're beneficial to have around. Occasionally I even handle them to put them somewhere where they're more convenient [housemate doesn't like spiders and freaks the fuck out] so I'd say that fear is conquered.

Yea dude I get the fear of water and space and infinite voids
It would be scary to be lost in an inky void forever I useto get it two

?

I am never gonna be anyone else than myself.
I will never experience anything from any other point of view other than mine.

Life is a collection of memories.
I do believe that your last tougth will be your heaven or hell.

I think what the user is trying to say is your existence is only relevant to the people around you in your area of influence. When you die, the people in your area of influence will be left broken but the world remains indifferent and the same. So on a cosmic scale your death is the same as your birth, forgettable.

That my life is some kind of test by God, and that I am failing it badly and will end up in a place like Hell where I will be subjected to an eternity of a feeling similar to being severely nauseous and having a bad acid trip at the same time.

While other people commonly say that they fear being non-existent forever upon dying, I really have my fingers crossed that that ends up being true, because most of the afterlives I can imagine seem horrifying to me.

I understood that. Thank you.

You don’t remember anything before you were born even though human life had existed for millennia before you. So, Remember how you felt before you were born and imagine death will be just like that. If there is nothing after death, it’s nothing to be afraid of.

I think he's trying to say something about reproduction and hornyness.

Dude I have the cure for fear of spiders
>First get a can of spray on deodorant
>then a lighter
>use it to make a makeshift flame thrower
>use it In small bursts
Stop fearing spiders

Thank you. I shall try.

I really fear big open void as well... Please don't drop me into the ocean I might drink it.

Being alone forever, I've never even been on a date

Ok,ok , you're the better male .

I dont ever care about kids that much.

>I might drink it.
?

Maybe he's just really scared of dinosaurs.

May i ask for a poem?

Or scared of dinosaurs fucking mabye?

I prefer reading too much into it and saying its linked to his fear of is verbaly abusive father.

I've heard of Rene Decartes, I'm not retarded. I'm just an INTP. I can't help it to think, all the time. Even to my own detriment or inconvenience. It's just how I am. As well, this proposal shakes that principle: if paradoxes can be true, any conclusion can be drawn from any premise. It would be philosophical chaos. That is fucking terrifying, that is why I'd go insane.

I dont get the reference.
Plese explain

I just get excited when I get new pants.

living. im only 18 and have such a long life ahead of me. i dont want to go through all the ups and downs. its just to much.

Hey OP, I actually thought about this a few weeks ago one night while I was trying to sleep.

Answer I came up with was a trick in perception.

You perceive yourself being dead with eyes open seeing all the happenings around you

>family and friends looming over you crying.
>carted on a metal gurney into a refrigerator.
>morg personnel digging into you with silicon and ripping out your insides.
>being put into a box buried in dirt never to be opened again
>no light, no air, no one to talk to
>if cremated, watch helplessly as your body burns
>if the nothingness takes you away from you body, spend eons in the black forever til the end of time.

All these things I thought about. But then it hit me. You wont need to worry about it because there will be no you to perceive it.

The best example I can give is when you are put to sleep for surgery, You cant recall anything to have happened until after you wake up. Like that but forever.

There is none.
I would like to hear more about that ocean.

Make the words dance.
Tell me the story of the man who drank the ocean so he could get his head out of water.

You are anonymus.
None of us matter.
Write.

that I be crippled permanently in such a way that I'm both in unbearable pain and unable to communicate while my caregivers are too pussy to pull the plug

Im just happy when I drink the ocean :^)

Yea his dad called him a fucking brontasorus every time the dad was drunk

This completely, about to turn 19 and I'm in the same boat, the thought of losing even the slightest degree of control over myself fucking terrifies me

Wasn't in jail long, but it wasn't pleasant and can't see how people can spend years of their lives there. Really makes ya think.

Dont worry.
Control is an illusion.
Drugs are there to remind you of that.

Why? Its got tons of fish shit in it

My hope is that reincarnation is real, I've had a pretty fortunate life growing up, death will come eventually and when it does I'll leave this world and live through another, maybe one in a different universe and begin anew.

Also my biggest fear of all is the fact the universe will end, eventually all the stars will die and planets will drift into the black void of nothingness for eternity, nothing lives forever so enjoy the time you have now while your still alive

I just mean when I am drowning but I realize I can breathe still.