Electric vehicles

>Electric vehicles
>are they worth it?
>Are EV's just something for global capitalists, or it is it really the future of personal transportation?
What say you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yFPnT-DCBVs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They seem to be getting better, and they'd be great for commuting and around towns.

I like motorcycles though, and there's no way I'd waste money on an electric motorcycle which you can't go long rides on and looks faggy.

They're the future, but only if the electricity to power them doesn't come from fossil fuel power plants.

>the future is in the past

How can we sustain their power sources? batteries, etc.

Invest the US defense budget of one year into something else and literally all problems could be solved with lots to spare.

Solar vehicles future

it's not "the future"
electric vehicles have been common for generations

They're the future regardless. Lots of governments are looking to ban the sale and production gasoline/diesel vehicles in the coming decades. Though I agree that the power also needs to come from renewable energy sources, but the advantage of electric vehicles over gasoline/diesel is that, regardless where the power comes from, these cars don't pollute their immediate surrounding with their exhausts. This will help clear out some pollution in densely populated places with lots of cars such as cities

HPV is better than EV

Not aids you retards, Human Powered Vehicles.

We were doing just fine without all this bullshit dedicated to dumbass personal automobiles.

he said personal transportation, you twit.

Anyone else finds it ironic that Tesla is investing to much into DC power?

For Americans it might be unbelievable, but civilized nations use electric vehicles for quite a while. Electric vehicles which are faster then your fastest car.

"personal" transport is a stupid American meme

>implying trains, trams, metros, buses, can't get into an accident
>implying self-driving cars won't make accidents go the way of the dodo

The number of accidents caused by self driving cars divided by the total number of self driving cars will be lower than the number of accidents caused by human-driven cars divided by the number of human-driven cars.

Understand this. But, I am talking about raw resources. What about the source?
Interesting.
But the internal combustion engine is a rather jack of all trades when it comes to it's fuel sources.
What will happen when cars with dead batteries? ICE's can last for theoretically hundreds of years.

here is your personal electric transport,
kek

>What will happen when cars with dead batteries?
Whats happens to your phone when the battery dies?

Here you go, the apex of car engineering.

Electricity in most areas is more 'dirty' than burning fossil fuel is.

in civilized nations train and metro accident's are super rare
and once self driving is banned roads will be much safer.

>and once self driving is banned roads will be much safer.
what?

This article was brought to you by Koch brothers.

I think he means "driving yourself"

Oh yea sure most definitely the roads will be much safer

yes what will happen?
you can't rely on what is used now because it's a finite resource used by retarded consumerhardware

personal electric vehicles are around since late 19th century

0 divided by number is still zero, user

They are not worth it as of now. Most of the vehicles cannot go very long distances on a single charge. You have to pay a pretty penny for a high capacity battery.

I honestly don't know what you're arguing for. You just change the battery like you do with your phone.

There have already been accidents with self-driving cars and it's inevitable there will be more in the future. Still, significantly less than with human-driven cars.

Yes, it's not for everyone as of yet. I've seen some projections saying that by 2027 they will be able to stand head to head with regular cars with regards to price/performance ratio. By then they will be affordable just as regular cars and you will get the same bang for your buck.

Electric cars are like the vegans of cars

>There have already been accidents with self-driving cars
From what I've seen most of these accidents were due to human error. These cars are riding on normal roads with human drivers that were the actual ones that make these mistakes. Once the road is filled with self driving cars only, even these few accidents would reduce to almost zero

Then all of a sudden is there a sudden resurgence of electric vehicles. In the early 90's there was one as well, including a Ford ranger pickup. But that suddenly dropped off the face of the earth.
Is there a hidden agenda?
The issue is waste, and replacement.
Lithium is a main resource in making batteries.
And even if electric vehicles were to run off say, a ground power source so it runs off the 'grid', it still needs a battery.
Is there enough lithium to keep "changing the battery"?

Are batteries recyclable like metal?

so, what you're saying is...they are the future. Got it.

Vegans = AIDS

>Then all of a sudden is there a sudden resurgence of electric vehicles.
What the other user is missing was that even though electric vehicles were the first, once we discovered combustion engines we saw they were vastly superior, after which they exploded. Even now we have the issues with this and even with modern knowledge and technology it will take a few more years before they will be able to be matched head to head.

As for the batteries, well yea, there needs to be more work done with this.

this board is 18+

Leftypol ain't here, man. Check other chans.

They are the future most definitely, there are semi truck fleets and cars being put out now, that have more power, longer range, will go faster, and have far better launches than their gas powered counterparts. They are finally starting to produce vehicles that are 100% electric, that will outperform any gas fired car they go against for comparison. I'd say I'm happy that we are finally getting cars like that into the market, instead of a shitty prius being one of the only few options...

The tech is getting better but with out government subs these cars will be priced out of the market. So honestly get a gas car you can work on.

This guy now what he's talking about

EVs are excellent vehicles for cities built mostly before the prevalence of cars (most European and east American cities) if they can provide charge points at all parking spaces
they are meh in cities designed with cars in mind (LA, Las Vegas, etc) with the same caveat
in suburban and rural areas they suck ass

>government subs
idiot. If we start giving subs to this, we would have to reduce subs for the oil and coal industry.

Indeed, we would have to do some infrastructure reshuffling before it becomes beneficial for everyone.. I would bet that even though the electric cars are the future they will be self driving. And self driving will have an even bigger impact on our infrastructure. Just think how many things we added to help human drivers, such as traffic lights, traffic signs, etc.

Performance and statistics aside. And I have asked and attempted to steer the thread towards it.
Are EV sustainable for a future market? Where will battery technology be in say, 50 years?

There's no way I'm letting a computer drive me around. Some of us actually LIKE driving.

Of course, modern nu male faggots don't get this. Their moms probably still drive them around.

they are certainly a worthwhile effort to lessen the human footprint in regards to pushing this planet towards a extinction level event and since battery technology keeps advancing there's real promise on it replacing the internal combustion engine for the most part...but really the problem with human is waste that is to say an unbearable unquenchable thirst for everything and creating a grand delusion of manifesting a reality which has no basis/form/function as it relates to human progress. (wasting away in filth balking tomorrow...BURN TEH WITCH AND ALL ITS HERSEY! DEATH TO NON-BELIEVERS!)

>sidenote: understanding batteries is essential to space colonization...ha ha ha, i'm joking humans will never get that far

...and yet you let a computer control/influence almost all aspects of your daily life, retard.

>Are EV sustainable for a future market?
Yes
>Where will battery technology be in say, 50 years?
Given that batteries are the future, due to things like EVs, but also due to personal electrical devices such as laptops, tables, phones, watches, and even IoT almost every single object you can thing of will be battery powered. Smart curtains that detect sunlight and cover your windows, smart clothes that senses your vital signs, etc. Given all this battery-powered devices are the future.

As for a specific battery technology, well I don't know which future battery technology you should bet on, maybe graphite based batteries are the future.

There is no way I'm letting an easily distracted, accident prone ape, that causes 70k road accidents per year in US only, behind a wheel. People like riding horse, that doesn't mean they can go on the highway. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Solid state batteries will change many things with longer battery life and no dendrite problems like Lithium has. But with a generator, you could use electric to power a car or truck forever. (Trains have used them since the '60s!)

Was she flogged with beets?

Badly shopped, but I still want more.

Electric cars are cool, if each home had a solar charging station/battery storage we could make utilities almost free.
EV's are only important if you plan to play pokemon competitively, in the normal game it doesn't really matter.

Disposing and mining of lithium is very unhealthy and detrimental to the environment.

until China gets their LFTR running
then mining lithium for batteries will provide the power for keeping those batteries charged and dispose of all the waste material from traditional nuke plants

True. What's your point? That we should just go back to the old ways of polluting?

Where will we find more lithium?

Nah, but everyone wants to act like lithium/EV cars are the future, when in reality, their footprint on the environment is just as rough.

I miss the hydrogen idea.

I'm confused as to how it'll work.

>>are they worth it?

jews decided that they're worthy.
>((they)) first created the Peak Oil meme

suddenly every carmaker is into it.
>((they)) sell technologies

in a perfect world, we could trust humans to operate hydrogen fueled vehicles, but we cannot unfortunately and there is likely no foolproof way of making them completely safe.

>lithium/EV cars
EVs are the future. Lithium...well there is there is room for improvement. There are dozens viable and technologically superior battery technologies that are being developed right now, such as solid state batteries, aluminium-ion, metal-air batteries. We're just now sure which ones will come out on top

Are we all communists now?

Hush, child, the adults are having a discussion here.

Wasn't there a theory where you just use regular water inside a hydrogen car tank, and there would be an electrical current going through the water, separating the oxygen from the hydrogen?

>hydrogen idea
youtube.com/watch?v=yFPnT-DCBVs

>I'm confused as to how it'll work.
the biggest waste product of mining lithium is thorium, a highly radioactive material
if you mix thorium with fluorine you get a salt that is liquid at non-critical atomic reaction temperatures
this means that you can keep the reactive materials evenly mixed for a continuous and even reaction, unlike uranium/plutonium rods which "rot" from the inside out reducing the efficiency of the reaction to the point it stops before all the material has decayed
also, by having a liquid reaction material you can put a plug in the reaction chamber so that if it gets close to critical the plug will melt and the fissile mass will disperse w/o human intervention
and because FTh reacts at a higher temperature a gas turbine can be used instead of a steam turbine, this reduces the chances of explosive decompression so common with compressed steam (hence the reinforced cement bunkers around U/Pl rod reactors)
and because you are using a liquid, you can add small particulate of other radioactive materials (ie spent U/Pl rods) and they will be split in the reaction quickly taking them through their decay chain to non-dangerous radioactive materials

This all sounds wonderful. Are there any setbacks to this method?

it is unproven
the LFTR China is bringing online in 2020 will be the first one, ever

it is more expensive to build than a rod style reactor, which is why the US rushed to rod reactors in the nuclear power race against the soviets

depending on which way you look at it
the reactor can't be used in producing weapon grade material

it will give China a massive economic boost as they can charge other countries to dispose of their reactor waste then turn around and use it to make electricity

and the spill basin needs to be quite large to make it shallow enough to stop the reaction
and because it will contain radioactive material it needs to be contained

and thorium is harder to find than uranium or plutonium

>150 mph
>Faster than your fastest car
*Inhales*
HAHAHAHAHAHA
that's fucking cute. You're comparing a slug to a cheetah.

Made a mistake, but the henessey is still much faster.

yes they are so fucking awesome. so much more better that you SHOULD buy a new car. while you could just convert any explosive engine and have the correct battery setup in older car. And why it's better to have older car with electronic engine ? because it's cheaper for everybody, it does not WASTE ressources as much as buying a new car.

don't fall for govs traps

Sup Forums never ceases to amaze me for information.
thank you all for participation. It will be put to good use.

>It will be put to good use.
What does that mean?