Any martial artist here...

Any martial artist here? I've been taking Muay Thai and standard boxing for 3 years now and was thinking about trying something new? I've been considering Akido, anybody here practice it and in what way has it benefited you? What would you all recommend and why?

i did MT for years, did one in-house match and it rattled my brain. been out of the scene for years.

dont do a match until your rdy kid, it will fuck you up like the pussy i became

I appreciate the advice, I'm not trying to become a professional fighter though, I just enjoy training and sparring.

Most important thing is a good coach.
Second most important is live training against a resistant opponent, boxing, muay Thai, judo, jujitsu have this. Probably some others.
If you dig aikido, do it. See how you like it.

Emphasis on a good coach, some just work for you and some don't

>filename
>b4mtLOGo

systema

This is a really good point, thank you. A big part of finding a good coach is finding one that works well with you.
Also, along those same lines (I should have expanded on this earlier), is that a lot of people tend to poopoo certain arts. Karate got a bad name in the states because it got watered down, but you can see that Conor McGregor and Lyoto Machida incorporated it very successfully into their game. I personally don't hold aikido in very high regard, but if you're already into muay thai you can probably take care of yourself anyway. Maybe not against a pro in the ring, but for sure against a drunk asshole im a bar. And maybe you find a good aikido coach that works for you and makes it legit, shows you ways you can use it.
Anyway, yeah, coach #1, live practice #2.

Good advice above. If you go for aikido you may have to look hard for a good teacher or end up with someone doing something fluffy and ineffectual. Jiu Jitsu will extend your techniques into throws etc. Proper martial tai chi also, throws, locks, etc, again a good teacher is essential. In b4 some ignorant faggot saying tai chi isn't martial.

Aikido is a good option for dealing with multiple attackers after you've learned a hard art. But most dojos are shit. The worst is known as the KI society. They expect you to just fall down due to their spiritual energy. Needless to say they were not happy when they came to our dojo for a seminar. Not only did their "skillz" not work, they complained about the pain that the proper techniques caused. We train cops and special forces. The real stuff works damn well. I suggest you test your Aikido instructor with REAL attacks. Let them know first that you intend to hit them full force. If they can't handle it or refuse, move on. You've found a fake dojo.

Kind of in the same boat, been on for about 2.5 years. If I could learn another martial art/skill set to the same standard of proficiency that I have in MT/KB, it would be free style wrestling. That shit will save your life in a fight.

What's your reasoning for not holding akido in a high regard? Good point on the karate

I did aikido for a month,

It's garbage and impracticable.

Yes the wrist locks work, just not in a fight because it must be performed PERFECTLY. Which means it's useless. All moves are choreographed and there are is no real "practice".

I tried Brazilian Jiu Jitsu before I did Muay Thai, at the time I didn't care for it because it wasn't what I was looking for, Muay Thai just felt more natural and proper to me. Looking back though I just didn't understand Jiu Jitsu perhaps I should give it another chance. I've been hearing great things about thai chi

That's some great advice to attack the Aikido instructer to see if he's the real deal, never crossed my mind. I'll be sure to avoid the KI society

A big issue I hear in regards to Aikido

My fat teenage self did wrestling back in high school and boy did I get my ass beat. Wrestling was a great time, you should go for it.

either that or judo would be a good switch from muay thai

Honestly Akido for the most part ks hokey bullshit ane won't work on a trained opponent, I kickboxed for four years and to switch up I did BJJ and I never turned back, my suggestion take a good grappling art with good application like Sambo, Judo or Jujitsu, the switch from striking to grappling will keep things interesting ans your experience in the clinch will help you more than you know

BJJ. It changed my life

Thanks guys

When you say “rattled my brain”, did you get brain damage or did you get psychologically fucked in the sense it scared you?

I definitely can attest to BJJ having changed my life as well...I'm only 5'6" 150 pounds but I know how to break arms, choke you out, and most importantly, gain superior positioning (if a guy that weighs 200 pounds who doesn't know BJJ decides to put his weight on top of me, jujitsu gives me options for defense and offense).

Doing kung fu. It takes a great teacher and dedication no matter what you do.

Same as what was already said by others. If you can find a legit school with a good coach, go for it, but there's so much "magical" stuff around. Feeling energy and shit. The throws all come from Japanese jujitsu anyway, and so do judo throws, so if throwing people is your bag, judo might be more practical. But you might be near a good school. Give it a shot and see if you like it, but keep in mind, is it practical?

You're welcome. Seriously 90% of Aikido dojos are crap. They are the reason it gets a bad rap. If your instructor is depending on a wrist lock to control you, it's not real Aikido. Yes, I have multiple black belts and train cops and Army Rangers. Control is about controlling the center of your opponent. My best takedowns could be done on an armless person. I have black belts in Taekwondo, Kenpo, Iaido, and Aikido. I also studied a bit of BJJ. BJJ is good but you end up stuck on 1 guy. If you have 2 or 3, you are screwed. Kenpo is fun but you are setting yourself up for a lawsuit due to the broken bones. Aikido is the best art I know of for court defense because the only way the other guy gets hurt is if he resists you. If he's attacking with lethal force, yes you could kill him. But it would be his fault. Thus it's optimal for cops. You should have a blackbelt in a hard art BEFORE you start learning Aikido.

My background is in American Kenpo Karate, Jujitsu, and Aikido.

You've got a formidable combination with Muay Thai and Aikido. Aikido is a "soft style" that uses locks and throws relying instead on redirecting a person's momentum instead of brute force.

Aikido is great but with a Muay Thai background you're better off pairing it with Jujitsu. All the same locks as Aikido and you get ground fighting in. Check out Atemi-Ryu Jujitsu. Its not some BJJ bullshit. Its been used by the military.

>joint locks
>throws
>jujitsu
Just to be clear, it sounds like your talking about Japanese jujitsu rather than Brazilian, yah? I agree with you, and even do it myself, but would add some caution (same as before, like with aikido) to find a good coach and school. We come at each other pretty hard and do bang each other up, but a LOT of Japanese jujitsu schools are very static and don't practice with noncompliant opponents. It's like karate, they've give the whole art a shit name, but there are legit schools out there.

never had much of a high oppinion of aikido it has some effectiv techniques but is often held back by overly ritualized training , no hard sparring and competition oriented .

keep in mind that the original purpose of aikido was to be used in armor to disarm your opponent once you lost your weapon or to reaquire a weapon nothing more as such it is fairly limited . most of the modern "self defense" stuff that was added later is a far stretch from the efficiency of the original techniques.
if you plan to branch out into weapon based MA you might take away some useful techniques but i doubt it as most schools dont teach anything weapon related for the first few years.

what style? most are full of bs or lost most of their efficiency over the centurys due to being only ever trained in a ritualized way and never used against real opponents.

That's why I recommended Atemi-Ryu. Its a legit school here in Miami and there's also one in north Carolina. Idk if more have been opened. Every weekend there's freestyle sparring so you always have the opportunity to practice. They also teach weapon styles to increase your agility. Very nice blend of tradition with a modern mindset. Very practical no magic chi bullshit.

They teach Aikido and Jujitsu. The style borrows some things from Kenpo which borrows from Judo. Its a very complete form of Jujitsu.

Dr. Chenique is one of the grandmasters. He's incredible and 100% legit. If you spar against him you will be humbled.

Private classes can be a bit pricey but the group classes are fairly priced. Worth every penny if you ask me.

considering your background anything that focuses on ground combat , grappling and combos would be the next logical step.

bjj or vietvodao if you want to expand your kicks a little. other than that you have covered most of the standing techniques with MT and boxing quite well.

have you ever delved into muay boran? much more efficient and brutal than MT and the entry should come natural as you have all the basics allready from MT .

> judo

he will end up driving his elbow into some poor judokas skull that desperately tries to grab him ...

I mean, have you ever played judo? Muay Thai is definitely legit, but judo is too. Those dudes will put someone on their ass quick. And if you're not familiar with it, and the concepts of balance and breaking balance, it's pretty tough to stay upright.

Do Judo/BJJ/jacket wrestling for ground/grappling. Surely you know clinch techniques after 3y of MT, so you'll transition to grappling nicely. This just rounds you off as a fighter, as most MMA guys go MT, BJJ, TKD.

i did judo it was actually my first ever entrance into MA although i nly did it for a year and i was 7 and completely ignorant back then .

sure judo is legit and works , its efficient at what it does but little else and from where im standing now muay thai or more specific muay boran is somwhat of a hard counter for judo as judo at least in the competition form has virtually no defense against the fast and hard knees and elbows especially to the face.

judo is good to get an opponent to the ground but is inferior to most standing martial arts as well as ma that specialize in groundfighting its very niche . i trained with some brown belts about 5 years ago in our kobudo group and had to hold myself back from using elbows wich at that point was pretty much instinctive whenever they tried to go for a grab .

It all comes down to what your goal is in learning the new art. If you want to handle 2-X attackers, Aikido is the right choice IF you get a real instructor. If you want to improve your ability with 1 guy, go BJJ. Never trust a school that won't let you test the instructor with real attacks. How much you get injured will depend on their skill level. A proper instructor should be able to handle the worst attack without injuring you too much. If you are in Texas I can provide recommendations.