WHY DO PEOPLE INSTALL LINUX IN A VIRTUAL MACHINE?

WHY DO PEOPLE INSTALL LINUX IN A VIRTUAL MACHINE?

IF YOU WANT LINUX, INSTALL LINUX

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uh_Hz4Dtghw
youtu.be/qQ40Wd6H3EQ
youtu.be/EIywMxRiXAQ
youtu.be/CkDd6jClqEE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i have all my shit on windows.

need to keep memes folder

1 Hardrive with Windows
1 Hardrive with Linux
Insert what I want to use.

Some people just want to use Linux for one or two things, but don't want to give up their gaymes I guess.
I have Linux vm, and I run Linux as my os. Nothing wrong with vms

Aside from understanding VM usage via personal experience being a prerequisite for a lot of upper level service desk positions, some people like to do the less than legal things, only ever use Linux for those purposes, and don't want a permanent, easily found install for doing so. A Linux VM is a great way to handle that.

Why not just use grub to change what you boot into, mate?

OP here
I just got a separate laptop for games

1st, I use Gnome, not MATE
2nd, dual boot isn't assured to work

The Windows implementation of SMB is lacking when you get to file sizes over 500gb. If I install a simple Cinnamon Linux on a VM, I can easily copy 5TB+ over SMB without it timing out or creating any errors.

That is why I use Linux as a VM.

Nice integer

Why do you use Linux?
What games do you play?
Why not dual boot?

Linux doesn't run Visual Studio

I started with Kali and moved to Ubuntu

I'm a engineering student, so last game I played was Fallout 4
Dual boot isn't easy to set up, plus $1000 gaming laptop

>use gnome, note MATE
kek
But honestly, how? I've tried to use gnome on a few occasions, I just can't do it. Never seen a worse de in my life

>not assured to work
I've dual booted for years when I was getting into Linux. I never had an issue unless I installed Windows after Linux, and even that is an easy fix

USE Vim
Or another text editor

Text editors aren't IDEs with emulators, kiddo.

I don't really need Gnome, this is just my school laptop
Any flavor or distro will do

I hear that often, but I don't wanna risk fucking up my gaming laptop

So did I, loved playing around with Kali a few years ago

It's incredibly easy to set up. Either:
1. Install windows
2. Partition and install linux
3. Install grub to master boot record
Or
1. Install Linux
2. Install Windows
3. Boot into a live Linux usb
4. Run os-prober
5. Run grub-mkconfig

Easy as 3.14...

Learn to Linux faggot

youtu.be/uh_Hz4Dtghw

youtu.be/qQ40Wd6H3EQ

youtu.be/EIywMxRiXAQ

After I started using i3, I couldn't go back

How would it fuck it up? The absolute worst thing that could happen is Windows overwriting grub, and that's so easy to fix.
But fair enough, if you already have two laptops I get that

Actually I got 3
Just tossed my dell when I was pissed and needed a new HDD

I can finally start using Kali again

I missed hacker Debian

>wanting to run that cancerous software

This. Honestly nothing better than working in two terminals side by side, using one for vim and the other for compiling and running

Takes real computer skills too
unlike downloading shit-ware

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Vim to be honest
I've heard of too many people getting frustrated with it

All my colleagues use windows so I need to work on the same platform.

Fair enough.

You should check out ParrotOS. Runs MATE by default so it's a bit lighter. Based on Debian 10. Not as many tools as Kali, but that also means less bloat. You can always install whatever it doesn't have anyways.

If you like hacking, the pentesting framework is pretty cool. Written by the same people who made SET.

I feel your pain

Maybe for devel purpose, in order to revert to a whole previous state?

I've heard of Parrot
I didn't know it used MATE,

And you don't really need 30 tools to hack wifi

Dude, I love Social Engineering Tool kit

You can run a VM on linux

youtu.be/CkDd6jClqEE

Goddammit, I thought the VM was windows

True.

I guess it can be frustrating if you haven't learnt to use it yet, and going through vimtutor like 3 times can get a bit tedious. But I honestly couldn't do without it now that I have learnt to use it properly. So much faster to navigate code.

I like parrots default colour scheme too, it looks pretty sleek, more modern and customised than Kali. It just generally looks like they put more effort into the ui than Kali did.

True, fluxion is all you really need in my opinion. Or something that exploits wps. Fuck aircrack-ng

Yeah, set is pretty useful.

Pentesting framework pretty much gets a decent environment up and working automatically on Ubuntu/Debian/arch. It makes it easy to download about 100 of trustsecs favourite tools. Can download them all automatically too.

>WHY DO PEOPLE INSTALL LINUX
No really

Because it allows for modular control of your whole system. Some people may not like or need that, but some people do.
Especially if you are interested in programming, you'll want a workspace that is catered to what you need and optimised for how you work. You'll also want to be able to direct resources to what you need, rather than letting windows make the choices for you.

Is it cancerous because C# runs on goddamn everything?
Stop being a faggot

To be able to play games on windows

What if you install Linux in a VM on Linux?
Nobody said that OP was referring to Windows.

No is just shittily written, slow software that is basically just bloat to hold childrens hands when they are learning to code. If you can't write code in a normal text editor you're a brainlett.

If you can't light a fire with flint, you're an idiot.
Men use gas.

LINUX IS NOT ENOUGH
I WANT MOAR LINUX

Faggot, I can do it with two sticks and glorious friction.
>Men use gas
Wot

If you need an ide, you can't actually code. You're just helping the ide write your program.

Install it on your phone with with Linux deploy?

>compares his computing experience to rubbing sticks together
>calls me a faggot
LOL stay outside in the cold and freeze to death, surrounded by faggots that you can't even get to compile

You're the one that brought up the fire analogy, you fucking autist

>surrounded by faggots
I'm on Sup Forums, aren't I?
>that you can't even get to compile
Wot
You need to learn English before you learn to code, friendo

whoosh

I'll do what i want with my stuff. Sorry it triggers your autism

here you go buddy, you can use that to build your dream computer that runs ubuntu

Cheers friendo, I do love nigbuntu

If Sup Forums actually built a wooden computer that ran Linux, I'd shit myself

Someone made a beaver computer. Does that count?

Thats my new goal. I actually want to do it now. It would run gentoo though

It has to be made of all wood, including wood-derived chemical components. Only wood is allowed.

OP here, I would prefer that

I don't think you understand what is at stake here.

2013-06-25

I'd like to clear up some erroneous information about where I stand that is circulating on Sup Forums and perhaps elsewhere.

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.

W-what?

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand GNU and Linux. The architecture is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of systems design most of the features will go over a typical user’s head. There’s also Linus's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his software- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Andrew Tanenbaum literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these features, to realise that they’re not just useful- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike GNU and Linux truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Linus’s existential catchphrase “Don't talk to me or my kernel ever again,” which itself is a cryptic reference to dank memes. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as RMS’s genius wit unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools.. how I pity them.