Better than Pet Sounds

Better than Pet Sounds

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oG_2EvMzhDc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ok

I disagree anyway, but student demonstration time by itself ruins any argument for the album as a whole being better.

thank you for this thread OP

This has the most misleading album cover ever. It looks like a doom metal cover or something.

it has some pretty sad tunes on it, wouldnt call it misleading

wasn't Brian real knocked up in the head after using all those psychoactives in the SMiLE era

Meanwhile a doom metal album has another misleading cover as well:

youtube.com/watch?v=oG_2EvMzhDc

These still are nowhere near as misleading as 20 Jazz Funk Greats though, biggest troll cover art/album title ever.

>Song about ecological disaster
>Song about the hardships of life
>Song about school shooting
>Song about economic difficulties
>Song using ecological disaster to demonstrate the death of the soul
>Song about dying

This is definitely doom

Maybe misleading was the wrong word, I more meant that it's the last image I would expect for a Beach Boys record.

I respectfully yet firmly disagree, I don't think it's better but on par with.

I don't understand the hate that song gets. Weakest on the album for sure but not by a large margin or anything. Very catchy and fun song, in addition to having a relevant message to the time it was released.
Especially when the Beach boys were trying to reinvent themselves during these years for the countercultural movement a song like this says a lot without being out of place for what the Beach boys had always been.

But tell me why you hate it so much I'm genuinely curious.

Annoying guitar, grating vocal effect, and the chorus featuring an actual chorus shouting is just all so lame and cheesy and annoying.
Plus the lyrics are like middle school protest tier.

It's a direct attempt to choose an image as completely different as possible from prior BB releases. That plus the name is an self aware joke about the completely different tone in the album.

Surfs up is before the smile era.

Surf's Up [Brother/Reprise, 1971]

Their worst since Friends, which just goes to show that making like a great group is as bad for your music as making like a buncha mystics. Except for the sophomoric "Student Demonstration Time," the songs on the first side are all right--"Take a Load Off Your Feet" is worthy of Wild Honey and "Disney Girls (1957)" is worthy of Jack Jones's Greatest Hits--but the pop impressionism of side two drags hither and yon. The dying words of a tree are delivered in an apt, gentle croak, but the legendary title opus is an utter failure even on its own woozy terms and there are several disasters from the guest lyricists--Van Dyke Parks's wacked-out meandering is no better than Jack Rieley's. I'll trade you my copy for Surfin' Safari even up, and you'll be sorry. B-

I actually like the grating voice effect, my main problem is It takes a different tone from the rest of the album and seems out of place especially right after Disney Girls.

Also
>Lyrics are middle school protest tier
It's a song talking about students getting gunned down, and the dangers that protesting brings.
Perchance were you on either side of the Charlottesville protests?

It's a wholesale ripoff musically of a different song, they had written it years earlier and changed the lyrics to be about the Kent State Massacre.

It's like covering Roll Over Beethoven, and then changing the lyrics to being about rolling over corpses at a Virginia rally, and plopping it dead in the middle of an album that sounds nothing like it.

Except that would be funny, and not just outright laziness.

This is the first album where you start to notice Brian lose his upper range.

How can someone not like surfs up?

He's right about SDT being shit though.

I mean the title song specifically

oh shit I didn't realize it had material recorded in '66

Rob is a legitimate anti-intellectual.

>Disney Girls (1957)
Uggh, this is the worst song on SU.

>ah bloo bloo it's so unfair why can't we be carefree teenagers anymore why do we have to be cynical adults

It's actually the best song on SU.

It's genuinely one of the sweetest things ever written.

I think that's the point.

As if Millenials are any better. Do I even need to tell you how much 90s nostalgia cancer there is online?

There was nothing explicitly generational in that post. Stop provoking culture wars when nostalgia exists for every generation.

The only generation in the 20th century that aren't total nostalgic shits are people who grew up in the Great Depression.

I'm not defending any of that.

>tfw you realise being nostalgic for 1957 in '71 is the equivalent of being nostalgic for 2003 now

Then again, nobody really needs to be nostalgic for Nickelback and Hed P.E.

what a cunt, I wnt to stab him in the face

>It's like covering Roll Over Beethoven, and then changing the lyrics to being about rolling over corpses at a Virginia rally
that would be pretty great desu