When will the hipsters give up their ego and accept that the greatest album of all time can also be enjoyed by normies...

when will the hipsters give up their ego and accept that the greatest album of all time can also be enjoyed by normies, dads and moms and even rednecks?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SZ32qT7e1_M
youtube.com/watch?v=WP9PHwClSfE
youtube.com/watch?v=Nv7qiB8Q_cM
youtube.com/watch?v=xzQvGz6_fvA
youtube.com/watch?v=M4K7XZGeHTE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

When this generation of Sup Forums dies

opinion on springsteen is the ultimate heuristic to determine whether someone genuinely enjoys music or merely uses it as a fashion statement

Sup Forums seems to like him but only on retarded Sup Forumstant terms. Nebraska is pretty mediocre and Born in the USA is one of his best, but no one here will admit it.

I don't enjoy Bruce Springsteen since I'm not a blue collar worker from New Jersey

Born in the USA is a classic, the only reason people here shit on it is because they listened to the chorus of the title track and went "HURR MURICA". But stuff like I'm On Fire and Bobby Jean might be some of Bruce's best songs ever.

Nebraska is like the gateway drug to get hipsters into Springsteen, then Darkness on the Edge of Town. After that they just admit he's brilliant

Why would a redneck listen to brucie?

but the best Bruce album is the River

born to run is objectively a great album.

up until the last us election, he was seen as the face of working class america

>I'm unable to relate to any situation that is not involving somebody exactly like me

I bet you think that women in movies are bad as well, you troglodyte.

>up until the last us election, he was seen as the face of working class america
Now we're living in the age of meme celebrity politicians, he should run for president.

If people don't like Born in the USA because of the title track's hook, they're absolutely retarded and don't understand the song at all. It's The Blacker the Berry of the 80s.
People don't like Born in the USA purely because of Glory Days

Its a bit over produced though. He was right to strip the songs back later.

It makes me nostalgiac. The imagery he uses is very "high-school". The stuff about running away with your girl and just hoppin in the car and keep driving. I dunno, for me songs like Born to Run, Thunder Road, Jungleland have a real spiritual quality. Just fundamental human level shit. Sorry I'm high

born to run and river are his best
still have a soft spot for the rising

I never understood the whole Springsteen cult especially the lunatic-tier fans, all of them well over the age of 40, who will pay to see the same show over and over and brag how many times they've seen him. His music was ok for the 70s-80s but it's very dated and definitely not an artist I'd base my life around.

different people like different things you autist

Britbong here. Almost nobody here has heard of this fellow.

why does scaruffi love bruce so much

did anybody ask? you think everyone in the world knows about everyone else in the world? people in America don't know who a lot of brits are, so fucking what ?

i don't think it's dated at all
sonically, maybe, but every album from an era where you did grow up does
lyrically and thematically, he sings about the struggles of the common man, contrasting the themes of work and love and pleasure in america
born in the usa and nebraska are pretty heavy on the vietnam themes, but it's still pretty general overall

>Nebraska is pretty mediocre
pleb spotted

the greatest abulm of all time is subjective
so it does not exist

so poof!
Vamos, son of a bitch...

He's full of shit, Bruce can headline any festival here and sells out every stadium he plays.

figured. his post just pissed me off. like are we here to discuss why we like music and the qualities of music or be concerned about how popular they are ?

There's one persistent Springsteen Internet Defense Force guy on Sup Forums who is probably his nephew or something. Any time a thread about Bruce Springsteen comes up, he goes on about how plebian you are if you don't think all of his albums are 8/10 or better.

because Bruce Springsteen is the epitome of "epic". After Bob Dylan and before the Ramones, he was one of the few musicians capable of transforming the mood of an entire generation into a "sound". If the rules to judge the significance of an artist are that a) he be indifferent to fads and trends; b) that his lyrics dig deep into his era and resonate with the souls of millions of people; c) that each record be, de facto, a concept album; d) that each song send shivers down the spine even without a catchy melody; then Springsteen is one of the greatest of all times.
Musically, Springsteen coined the model of the singer-songwriter of the 1980s, bridging the gap between the bluesman of the 1930s, the black shouter of the 1940s, the rocker of the 1950s, the folk-singer of the 1960s, the punk of the 1970s.
In many ways, Springsteen was the true heir to Woody Guthrie (Bob Dylan never was a true populist). He sang about the dreams and the fears of ordinary white Americans. But he was also the heir to the blues, in an era in which the black nation was abandoning it for dance music.
Over the years, Springsteen grew up to become the eloquent spokesman of middle-class and blue-collar America. His declamations combine populist demagogy, patriotic passion and prophetic vision in a way that is quintessentially American. The alienated enthusiasm of his early days mutated first into a nostalgic glorification of the past and eventually into resigned grief. Dreams turned into memories, and exuberance turned into frustration. As the promised land faded away, Springsteen led the exodus from the international utopias to the virtues of ordinary people.

>There's one persistent Springsteen Internet Defense Force guy on Sup Forums who is probably his nephew or something. Any time a thread about Bruce Springsteen comes up, he goes on about how plebian you are if you don't think all of his albums are 8/10 or better.
I do that, but with Duran Duran

>hurrr let me rip off dylan
>now let me rip off funk rock, oh and i have a new york accent now
>now let me rip off heartland rock, oh i have a midwestern accent now
>now let me rip off hard rock, oh i have a mid atlantic accent now
>now let me rip off a variety of different pop rock styles and varispeed my voice up to make it sound younger and more accessible
>now let me rip off folk and country and the band Suicide and write songs about rural people living hard lives just like me even though i have millions in the bank
>now let me rip off tom petty and synthpop, oh i have a southern accent now
>now let me write shitty adult contemporary synthpop and soft rock ballads
>now let me do the same thing again, oh i have a california accent now
>mix and match all of the above for the rest of his career
>oh i have an irish accent on this song for some reason
>let me write an album about 9/11 so i be relevant again and make $$$$$
>let me write an album about the 2008 financial crisis so i be relevant again and make $$$$$
Springsteen's discography in a nutshell. What a hack.

>imitating a bunch of styles over a lot of time very successfully in a concise way is a sign of low talent

yo, do you think he'd pay me to do that?

This is him.

During the early 70s, the media were frantically trying to find and coronate the next Bob Dylan. The saying goes that if Springsteen had not existed, the media would have to invent him.

surprisingly one of his best albums

yet most viper-tier album cover

The relationship songs on The River are so fucking bad and cringy, they sound like they were written by someone who'd never talked to women in his life.

critics loved bruce from the start, but he was a commercial failure until born to run
they were calling him the future of rock and roll but still no one gave a shit

He played at my dad's college in 75 or 76 and his roommate afterwards played BTR over and over and over and over. Drove my dad insane.

The River [Columbia, 1980]

All the standard objections apply. His beat is still clunky, his singing overwrought, his sense of significance shot through with Mazola Oil. He's too white and too male, though he's decent enough to wish he weren't; too unanalytic and fatalistic, though his eye is sharp as can be. Yet by continuing to root his writing in the small victories and large compromises of ordinary joes and janies whose need to understand as well as celebrate is as restless as his own, he's grown into a bitter empathy. These are the wages of young romantic love among those who get paid by the hour, and even if he's only giving forth with so many short fast ones because the circles of frustration and escape seem tighter now, the condensed songcraft makes this double album a model of condensation--upbeat enough for a revery there, he elaborates a myth about the fate of the guys he grew up with that hits a lot of people where they live. A-

yeah man, when BTR came out in 75, critics lost their shit. even robert christgau took his head out his ass and was like "yeah, this is pretty good"

>He's too white and too male, though he's decent enough to wish he weren't
Is Christgau the prototypical nu-male?
If he was my age today he would take pictures with his eyebrows raised, grow a beard while balding and wearing glasses, and identify as a neoliberal.

>Christgau rated Born in the USA and The Replacements' Let It Be as his #1 and #2 albums of 1984. When asked in 2008 if his opinion of the two albums had changed with time, he said no.

christgau used to be an ok critic now hes just a sad old man with bruce springsteen's cock stuffed in his ass

>a sad old man with bruce springsteen's cock stuffed in his ass
Great, now I'm jealous of Christgau

I almost died of boredom trying to listen to this thing. I never made it all the way through to the end.

The River > Darkness on the Edge of Town > Born to Run

Backwards. Darkness is front loaded and you could barely cobble together 1 disc of good material from The River

Double albums are rarely a good idea.

He was rocking the nu male look in the 70s, like 30 years before the term was coined.

I love The River. It's more consistent that a Springsteen double-LP probably should be and feels like the culmination of his creative evolution throughout the seventies.

Most canonical double albums you could name justify their length by being good, The River just really is that crummy.

>Britbong here. Almost nobody here has heard of this fellow.
>four Top 10 hits in the UK
>played several 50,000+ capacity shows at Hyde Park in the past 10 years
>did a UK stadium tour in 2016

Hmmmm....

I mean, concept albums like The Wall, Quadrophenia, and The Fragile all work well as double albums and are really hard to picture being as good if they were single albums.

The White Album and All Things Must Pass (which is technically a fucking triple album but I always ignore the third LP) are double albums that work because of the amount of high quality songs spread across the records. They could easily be condensed into 1 10/10 album or divided into 2 incredible albums, but I wouldn't prefer either of those things over what we got.

Come to think of it, what's the most recent "mainstream" double album to come out? Stadium Arcadium? Does that Justin Timberlake album count? I never listened to it but I recall reading that it was a double-album or something, but I don't know if it was legitimately a double-album or just like a long album that was marketed as a double-album, if that makes sense.

>Come to think of it, what's the most recent "mainstream" double album to come out? Stadium Arcadium? Does that Justin Timberlake album count? I never listened to it but I recall reading that it was a double-album or something, but I don't know if it was legitimately a double-album or just like a long album that was marketed as a double-album, if that makes sense.
Does Kamasi Washington count? He had a triple album that got massive acclaim almost solely due to his involvement with Kendrick Lamar.

I seriously doubt that Soundtracks for the Blind can be appreciated by normies and rednecks

>Its a bit over produced though.
This. I like plenty of Springtsteen's stuff but I've never been able to get into Born to Run because they went overboard on the wall of sound thing. Everything just sounds too busy to me; even a lot of a vocal parts sound like Bruce is trying to cram in as many words as possible before ending a line. The title track is actually a really good example of this; every time I try listening it, it just sounds awkward and confused.

I mean you probably are if you don't think that

Please never use the internet again

Throughout the entirety of the river there are good songs which carry through to the end but yes some songs despite having at least one charm about them are just filler. crush on you, I wanna marry you, and ramrod I can live without

Bruce Springsteen is an overrated pretty boy hack. He can't sing or play guitar worth a damn and his generic heartland-pandering arena rock songwriting style is grating to say the least. he's completely undeserving of the massive ball-licking given to him by the media every day since 1975. His politics disgust me. His fanbase are also exceptionally autistic and annoying.

Listen to this schlock:
youtube.com/watch?v=SZ32qT7e1_M
youtube.com/watch?v=WP9PHwClSfE
youtube.com/watch?v=Nv7qiB8Q_cM
youtube.com/watch?v=xzQvGz6_fvA
youtube.com/watch?v=M4K7XZGeHTE

He genuinely represents the worst of the vapid one-trick-pony, middle America-pandering, arena-ready regurgitation of low-tempo adult contemporary, soft "rawk", and milquetoast Top 40 pop ballads that infected the music world like a cancer in the latter half of 20th century. At least Petty and Mellencamp had the slightest iota of talent. Hell, Petty at the very least has a good 10 smash hits and a number of additional stone cold classics.

Guys. GUYS.
THIS. This is his real masterpiece.

Well, you're a man of more refined taste than he.

springsteen is big with hipsters you scrub

2/10 made me reply

Reminds me of that George Harrison album.

No. DotEoT is his best work.

Darkness > TWTI&TES >The River >BTR > BITUSA > The Rising > We shall overcome > TOL

you'll cowards don't even work union

Springsteen is amazing. He shouldn't be compared to acts like Bon Jovi desu

this

>you're a bunch of prejudiced hipster faggots. behold, the greatest album of all time. did you know rednecks like things?

wait so which is which in your mind?

why would you like bruce springsteen if you're not american though

Springsteen was pretty big with hipsters in the 00s, something along the lines of New Sincerity and that mess. I recall Arcades Fire being big champions of Bruce (and Sincerity) when they were the hottest little shits on the block, and trickle down hypeonomics went into full swing.

Naturally that hit a peak and he was again blasé, but these things are cyclical, so maybe we're coming back around. Given Trump, expect some level of liberal musician "outreach" to the working whites, and Boss worship is a natural link to exploit.

I have nothing against bruce springsteen's politics but I find it puzzling that anyone would want to hear the same song fifteen times in a row with different words and call that an evening's entertainment

>like are we here to discuss why we like music and the qualities of music or be concerned about how popular they are ?
welcome to Sup Forums

underrated trips

yeah yeah I'm the same with Brandon Flowers

i'm a blue collar worker from new jersey and springsteen is a fucking hack

Basically the neo-springsteen, underrated af. People said springsteen had too much of a pop influence, and he gets the same shit becuase of the first killers album

This is what I needed, a good laugh to start my morning right.

I haven't even posted in this thread yet but I'm here to tell you he's one of the GOATs

Anyone else think Tunnel of Love is really underrated? Also some of the River outtakes are truly amazing

I agree modern Bruce is pretty lame. I just pretend he died after the 80s.

Literally the only people I know who like Springsteen are hipsters

>Anyone else think Tunnel of Love is really underrated?
it's his best album

Johnson vs Springsteen 2020

nobody in the US knows Kate Bush

lmao no way
a select number of jersey folks, maybe. the rest of bruce's fanbase are middle managers out slumming for a "genuine" experience

>neoliberal

You don't even know what this means

" From small things" is a gem

No he died in 95' after his performance of " ghost of Tom Joad". but still Bruce will die in your lifetime

And dumb 50 year olds who wear headbands.

After BITUSA made him into a jetsetting celebrity, he pretty much lost all his hunger and motivation.

Oh, and that fucker Mac DeMarco.

lyl white males, right? XD

britbong here
this isn't true
where exactly in the uk are you from?

>blonde on blonde even being objectively the best album ever

every bruce springsteen song is the same