What music do you guys tell normies you listen to when they ask and you don't feel like explaining what Death Grips is...

what music do you guys tell normies you listen to when they ask and you don't feel like explaining what Death Grips is and why it's good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kOhUcIw1d3I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>what Death Grips is and why it's good?

>he thinks DG isn't normie as fuck

I was being semi-ironic, but seriously, I go to an art college and half of the people haven't heard of Death Grips when I mention them, you'd be surprised what people know when you leave your echo chamber.

>dream pop, shoegaze, prog rock, post-punk, psychedelic rock, indie, post-rock, IDM, hip-hop
Literally just tell people genres you're into. If they don't know what you're talking about they probably will just move on, or they could ask and you can have a conversation recommending artists.

Or you might just find out you share an interest with the person you're talking to.

This one. It has kind of a dark atmosphere
youtube.com/watch?v=kOhUcIw1d3I

>haha, that's cool user, anyway i gotta go
This is the reaction you will get anywhere outside of a record store.

[citation needed]

I've literally never met a normie that knows what Death Grips is
or Tame Impala for that matter

OP did say if someone asks you specifically.

>Anything that fits my mood except niggers speaking faster than usual and noisily punk.

well, I meant more as in a disingenuous response that will satiate them and specifically to prevent "haha, that's cool user" responses or anything that can lead to you looking autismo. I had to explain what Sonic Youth was to a Jazz major the other day.

It's hard to quickly explain that you listen to albums that are respected and not the popular songs by certain artists

>anything but rap and country :^)

I was surprised by the number of people who put albums on shuffle.

frank ocean, the smiths and a small amount of kanye west

See, the thing is I also don't wanna come off as basic by naming the most normiecore shit possible just to appeal. This is quite the dilemma.

"Eh, lots of stuff, what about you?"

When pushed, I say Tegan and Sara as my favorite artist, and maybe mention that I listen to other things like them.. Satisfies them whether they know them or not, though it may make them think I'm gay if they do know them.

Stop worrying about what people think so much and tell them what you actually listen to so you can have a real conversation. If it doesn't go anywhere or they're not into it then so be it, still better than being fake to try to appeal to their tastes

>good?

Meanwhile, I've had multiple other people I casually know bring up Sonic Youth with me, and I've appreciated it.

Literally exactly what I listen to. No one will judge you, and being fake is for losers

dance, dnb, emo

I usually just say indie rock, hip-hop, electronic. Gives them a decent idea without sounding pretentious. Or just use the go-to "Radiohead", normie music that sounds patrician to normies

I just say, "oh I like most stuff" which is half true
if they actually wanna talk shop about music then I go a little deeper than that which is usually pretty nice because most people just have a passing interest in music

ik tons of normies that have heard of tame impala.

ur right about death grips tho it feels like its mainstream underground if that makes sense

There are death grips shirts in hot topic

exactly

Being angsty while in high school isn't really that underground...

it's not about putting on a front or anything, it's about not being pretentious or off-putting, exactly how this guy states
. plus it's not like I'm saying bands I don't like at all I just don't want to seem like I'm ashamed of my music taste because I have to justify liking it to a normie who won't understand it if he gives it a quick Google.

Stop typing like a fucking nigger. This is Sup Forums, not Instagram.

i bought into the death grips is online meme and now people keep asking me what death grips is, how do i become less of a piece of shit

I just name drop the genres I listen to the most.
New Wave, Minimal Synth, Art Pop, Avant Folk, Krautrock, Noise Rock

fuck you even sayin nigga?

Well, I wouldn't want to sound pretentious either. I think whatever you listen to you can say without sounding pretentious, though. Even if no one would recognize the artists you listen to, you can just say the genre. If the genre itself is obscure, you can describe it easily in terms of other genres, I'm sure

any nigga that listens to music is a fucking imbecile, artistic mediums are ruining the universe

expunge this realm of your presence nigga, I'm serious, I'll do that shit myself if I gotta.

please do