Hi Sup Forums i have just bought a guitar and i have no idea to play it...

Hi Sup Forums i have just bought a guitar and i have no idea to play it. I like heavy fucking metal and roc; iron maiden, metallica, judas priest, queen you know...do you have any tips? any guides or tutorials to start playing rythm guitar?

Pic fucking related.

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/yfgsTaq.png
chordbook.com/guitar-chords/
stringtensionpro.com/
musictheory.net/lessons
mediafire.com/file/sayviwqxfcxfjon/
mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar
mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8
mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg
mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd
youtube.com/watch?v=VQxmAvM9T18
youtube.com/watch?v=W5DkNLvd8Go
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OP here, in exchange random dumping

Make sure you learn a good method for whichever hand is your picking hand. I play bass and use my fingers instead of a pick, but I never learned a good pick technique so I am 8x worse when using a pick

First, learn to tune it.

I've got that guitar

i have one of those electronic tuners, that was quite easy :D

Go to Sup Forums and then /gg/
There's usually a guide for starting out in the OP

Not that guy, but learn how to tune it without that electronic tuner. It will help a lot.

i had not thought about that, i only look at Sup Forums and /gif/ i will star a thread there, thanks user! i will continue dumping

Don't expect to advance very quickly at all if you can't or are unwilling to train your ear. Ultimately it will be your greatest learning and performance tool.

No problem. Look for /gg/, it's guitar general on Sup Forums
They will probably just direct you to that if you start a thread or be dicks to you.

Tabs tabs tabs. Learn to read em. You can download a tuner on your phone. Youtube is your friend. And remember get good with your picking hand first.

youtube you sick degenerate fucking rekt fagget

soft or hard picks?

i have seen youtube but even though, i dont know where to start

learn your basic chords first and develop the callous on your fingertips that is first and foremost. also get a pick.

watever floats your boat get both first or get a variety pack.
dunlop sells them for like 6-9 dollars.
me personally i use the dunlop jazz pick

grow your hair super long, regardless of what anyone says it automatically makes you 9032567093148651390876531X better

When you get good enough it won't matter but I started with thick pitted ones. Easy to grip and ideal for fast picking, skips and pinch harms. What kind of amp you got?

Go to songsterr.co m after you learn how to read tabs. YouTube marty schwartz. Learn how to pick properly, I recommend a soft pic when starting.

>tune to drop d
>smash bottom 3 strings randomly on any fret you want
>metal

justin guitar has a great beginner course to learn basic chords and strumming patterns.
get a straight pick
practice daily, even if it's only for 10-15 minutes
take care of your instrument, if you do it'll last a lifetime.
Have fun OP!

thats not even nhl it's russian hockey

I learned all my guitar stuff from Rocksmith 2014. Not a great selection, but you can buy more for ~$2.50 per song.

You need a cord which is like 20 bucks, but it's good audio at least.
Plus, the pc version has a bunch of custom songs to add that you don't need to buy. Which unfortunately you can't use songs which are already on the game.

You can learn lead, rhythm, and bass guitars. Every time you play through it adds more fingering and rifts to the song.

Keep in mind, this isn't a way to learn how to play guitar, but it teaches you how to play certain songs.

Have fun. Remember to practice.

You’ll find what type of pick you like eventually. Get a few different thicknesses. I personally use fender heavies because I play lead more often, and find that I get better control over the sound I want with a thicker pick. If you want to play more chords and rhythem style stuff, you may gravitate towards a medium/ thin pick.

Try a bunch of pick thicknesses, an assorted box would probably do you good, I usually use a pretty thick pick for metal. Try out various string sets to find what works for your hands. I suggest starting with light string gauges and working your way up to something heavier for either drop tuning or down tuning. Also on a side note I would recommend against learning tabs right off and learn to play songs by ear, use youtube for basic lessons but not for advanced techniques, most of that will come through experimentation and learning.
LEARN YOUR NOTES, FRET BY FRET.

I taught myself to play in middle school
Learn to read guitar tabs, its very easy and you can figure out the basics in like 10 min.
Once you can read tabs just look up tabs for songs you like that don't sound too difficult. You'll only be able to learn easy parts alt first and it'll be fristrating but stick with it and in just a year or 2 you'll be playing full songs, maybe even some solos

Easiest metal songs to start with: Enter Sandman, Seek and Destroy, Iron man (and almost everything else from Black Sabbath). Search youtube tutorial for this song and try until u gid gut. But that's not a proper method! Real teachers are the best, to get a normal technique

i have a guitar link to do it through the computer but cant make it work, also a little 24 watts marshall

Get Rocksmith
Also if you like heavy metal listen to Megadeth

OP here, i get constant error connection....fuck it....

Don't know why you bought a guitar if you have no idea how to play it. But here, as other people have pointed out just watch some videos on youtube about basic chords. I think most metal music are in Drop D or Drop C tuning. Just watch a simple video on youtube about understanding tabs, download a guitar tuner on your phone, tune that shit up and just put some time and effort in it. Metallica is pretty easy for beginners. (At least from what I remember)

It's a long road. Don't be dejected and unmotivated if you're not a wizard a year or so in. It takes time to become great, but you'll keep playing as you progress. Good luck. It's a very rewarding experience, believe me.

also its SUPER EASY to play some metalcore in drop D google it.

Also, grab a few packs of strings in different thicknesses and change them out about once a month until you find the set you like. I go with d’addario .11-.49’s.
String thickness is going to effect your tone, how long notes can be held. How easy bends are, and the life of your strings. Thick wont bend easily, but will resonate longer. Thin will be easier to play, but generally sound weaker and wont last as long before they break or corrode to the point that they sound shitty and/or play shitty.

1. Learn to finger "powerchords". Indexfinger on the thickest tring. Ringfinger one string lower, pinky one string lower.
2. Add distortion effect
3. RAM around and keep rhytm while you slide your finger position up and down the neck.

Now, once you get bored doing this, learn to finger chords: A, E, C, F, D and you can play many many songs.

Now, this song you like the guitar play from? Google "tabs [songname]" and now you can see what finger should be on which string. Decode a few songs like this until you can play along with the song.

From here on, you can get books on techniques depending on the music style you want to play.

If you listen to queer bands like disturbed and mastodon. OP if you want to play non queer metal play Megadeth, Metallica, and obviously earth wind and fire

Remember that it may be fun to learn songs that exist already, the real fun and challenge is in the creation of your own material. This all comes from my personal experience. For chords in metal learn minor chords primarily and then your majors as they aren't used a ton in metal. USE A FUCKING METRONOME. if you don't have one or want to buy one grab b'metranome android app

Don’t try to play super confusing songs at first. Start small. When u start to learn a song, stick with it \m/

I will save all there ideas and then study them!

Judas priests breaking the law is the first full song I ever learned on guitar.

There's exercises I always show newbs that seems to help a lot with learning to hold power chords, I can't be asked to draw a diagram.

Youtube tutorials will do you a lot of good, so will learning to read tablature.

Really?? Lol. Just learn to read Tabs and find some easy songs. "Breaking The Law" by Judas Priest is very easy

If you have a guitarist friend ask him tips.
Otherwise, there are pretty good methods for beginners on youtube.
Also, learn the notes, and scales (at least major, minor and pentatonic first, the rest will follow). Know what intervals are.
Very importantly, don't pick up bad habits, especially with the hand positions.
Learn how to read rythms on a sheet, that is extremely important for any musician. Not necessarily the notes themselves if you have tabs below, you still can learn that later

If you want puss don't play rhythm. Lead is what you want.

PRESS DOWN ON THE STRINGS WITH YOUR LEFT HAND DEPENDING ON THE CHORD YOU WANT AND USE A PICK TO STRUM THE STRINGS WITH YOUR RIGHT HAND

Playing guitar won't get you laid, news flash. Even so, such skanks want to hear 2-3 chord songs about love, not a razor sharp lick or arpeggio.

Don't tell him that, the lie that it gets you laid is the only reason some people pick it up, only those who like it stick with it after finding out no one wants to hear you play guitar, ever.

How do I start learning guitar?
>justinguitar.com
Suggested Practice Routine:
>i.imgur.com/yfgsTaq.png (embed)
Guitar chords and inversions
>chordbook.com/guitar-chords/
String tension calculator (D'Addario-based):
>stringtensionpro.com/
Music theory:
>musictheory.net/lessons
Hal Leonard's Bass Method:
>mediafire.com/file/sayviwqxfcxfjon/
Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar
Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
>mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8
Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg
Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
>mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
>mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Easier if you learn piano/keyboard first. Learn to read music, it's annoying to learn but you need to know how. Be patient, don't expect to be an expert overnight, set small goals and take your time, if it's pissing you off take a break, skipping a day is fine.

you hold it somewhat like this I think

fucking gold

I cannot stress how serious this is, but make alternate picking a habit for when you play. I started guitar when I was very young and got used to only down strokes. When I figured it was time for me to advance, I couldn't play as fast as I wanted to. LEARN ALTERNATE PICKING!!1111!!

Thanks user !

>I like heavy fucking metal and roc; iron maiden, metallica, judas priest, queen you know..

You have to be at least 13 to be here buddy

Anyways, i've been a guitar teacher for a while, and every time i encounter a total newbee like you, i tell them the same:

Strings are numbered from the thinner one to the thicker one: from 1 to 6

First, play this on the first string:
using EVERY finger of your left hand (excluding the thumb, you retard), start SLOW, it doesn't matter if you play one note every 3 seconds, but you have to play it PERFECTLY

Once you can play it perfectly, move to the second string and do the very same thing, then on the next one, and go forth and back like that

first string: 0,1,2,3,4,3,2,1,0, then move to the second one, then to the third one, and so on

Do this every day, for hours, do it while you are watching tv, reading stuff, or watching youtube videos, etc

After one week, your fingers will be flexible and strong enough to start playing scales

So there you go buddy, learning quitar is lots of hard work, but if you practice at least 2 hours a day, you'll be playing good shit after 8 or 9 months

dont think many 13 years old know queen or judas priest nowadays...

also DON'T USE DISTO, I KNOW IT SOUNDS COOL BUT IT'S LIKE PUTTING A SHIT TON OF CHOCOLATE ON A BURNT CAKE

You can only use disto once you can play a song PERFECTLY with a clean sound, otherwise you will always suck big time, and if you don't follow this advice, you'll have a bad time trying to play complicated stuff on an accoustic guitar

That's what every 13yo say

If you want to get good fast learn theory, and most importantly learn how of applies to your instrument. Try to learn songs by ear, this will make you ear much better.

You have a iPhone?

Download ultimate guitar tabs app
Also download guitar tuna

Learn some basic chords first
(I.e. G, C, E, Em, A, Am)

Practice once a day for like 30m to an hour

Get a cheap amp with fx is you want to sound better

Good luck OP

>Tabs
Fuck off pussy

>Metal
>>Metallica

Pick one faggot

Do you do it while watching TV? that shit only gives you bad habits to play the guitar. How to hold the guitar in an incorrect way and use the fingers in an ineffective way.

What exactly would you consider their first four albums to be?

Sorry, i meant, he could do it while doing something else once he can do it really smoothly, or without watching

You know, doing a repetitive shitty movement you can do pretty well for two hours straight without any other kind of distraction isn't any fun, unless you are a complete autist wanting to be the next Steve Vai

well, actually you are kinda right. OP didn't say anything about being a great guitarrist, just want to play some songs

No waaay! :O
I have the same guitar. Dude. it may not be the best, but she's something special. I think if you into such bands this guitar will be a great benefit (I use a Laney 60W and a Line 6 Uber distortion. It works!)

Tips? Well, no matter what, find your minimum practice time per day, even if it's 15 minutes. Always end on a high note. Practice something you are battling with and/or something you enjoy.

Keep an eye on how you sit or stand with the guitar, and how your hands touch the guitar. Keep your fretting hands wrist comfortable. We don't need no tendo-nitis......

Throw that into trash can.

Just a reminder: if you want to play guitar to get some pussy, don't even try unless you geninuely like music

As a musician, you will only get attention from other musicians who want to talk about music, even if they are a female musician (wich is rare, female musicians are a tiny minority, and most of the time the suck)

Playing a guitar won't make you any less ugly, so you better become /fit/

Yoh. These okes know what's up. learning to tune and learning tabs, spending enough time initially to callous your finger tips, counting out rhythms is important shit. The type of pick is almost irrelevant, however I've found a more rigid pick is more helpful. But yeah, learning to read music, specifically tabs, will help you shitloads. Oh and some gold from the comment so far: DISTORTION SHOULDN'T MASK IMPERFECTIONS, BUT AMPLIFY INTENTION. Practice without distortion and your style will grow tremendously.

Oh, and prepare to lose motivation xD to get 'writters block'. It will happen. But don't fret... impotence is like the tides.

Take lessons and practice. Play with others and you'll step up your game quickly. If you have no talent, acknowledge that shit and move on. That's it.

t. Has-been pro guitarist

Thick at first. Many beginners will choose a thin pick, because it may feel easier to play but it will cause them to pick too hard. Thick pick teaches you to apply appropriate amount of force and control your pick. Later you can use whatever you want but generally metal players prefer thick and sharp picks. Dunlop Jazz III is a good starting pick.

Dunlop Jazz III is the only pick

Megadeth isn't heavy metal.

Totally a personal preference. They all sound different and they obviously feel different. Marty Friedman gave me one of his Dunlop Ultex picks when I met him a couple years ago, and I've been playing with them, since (1.14mm, he plays 1.40mm). They sound awesome.

This is bad advice.

School night. Bedtime is soon.

Switched to Wegen GP 250 and couldn't be happier.

Why tho?

>Take song you like
>Try to figure out how to play it slow as FUCK
>Once you can do that, do it ever so slightly faster
Repeat until master

youtube.com/watch?v=VQxmAvM9T18
youtube.com/watch?v=W5DkNLvd8Go

Learn some megaman themes first, most of the songs are pretty simple and sound epic when you play them right, not too mention most normies will be impressed with the sound since its unlikly they've heard them before.

Can confirm

this needs virgin/chad version

>Marty Friedman
your full of shit

Timbre is an important part of music and while it's true that you can drown sloppy playing under oceans of distortion and reverb, it's equally true that if you don't sound anything like the song you're trying to play, you can practice for hours thinking that there's something wrong with your playing. Electric guitar behaves differently depending on how it sounds.

Wow. That looks pretty crazy. But thanks, I'll try get one... or just forge one from a chunk of plastic xD that thing is immense