Thinking of getting a praying mantis as a pet. Thoughts?

Thinking of getting a praying mantis as a pet. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

moonlightmantidsllc.com/
usmantis.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=-JBxlMq0cYM
youtube.com/watch?v=uWqTZErviJI
youtu.be/ernLnv7Q4Dk?t=58
youtube.com/watch?v=d-IN_lsMgmM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

I've been wanting to get one too. They require lots of feeding and climate controlled areas for certain species, but other than that they're easy to keep. I'd say go ahead!

also, you could order the mantis oothecas (i think you have to refrigerate them until spring?*), and release them in the spring. They're great for controlling aphids and other pesky insects.

20$ for some beginners stuff plus a mantis. Really thinking about it. Not exactly a huge investment.

Don't they live for like 9 days or something?

a year. pretty cool little dudes

Order the egg sack thing online! You'll get dozens of mini mantis SO CUTE

>Thinking of getting a prEying mantis as a pet.
Fixed.

You'll have to separate them when they're born, or they will start eating each other

hymenopus coronatus bestus mantisus

No, it's praying.

Also, where the fuck do I buy one?

had one. boring. except for the time i was blowing hot air on it and it jumped into my mouth

They just some chill niggas. Cool to look at and fun to watch when they eat lil niggas

Some great sites are moonlightmantidsllc.com/
and
usmantis.com/

The only problem would be shipping during cold seasons...

Starting to get a little bit colder here so if I do this I gotta do it quick I guess.

do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=-JBxlMq0cYM

They're great

what the fuck

where the fuck did you find this

jesus christ

What? That's what most collectors breed their mantises for.

Be prepared for them to die, and be prepared to be sad about it. That being said, mine seemed to have some pretty unique personalities and it was an overall enjoyable experience.

Hmm does this feels good desu?

I'm wondering this too. Also wondering how they enticed them into eating their titties.

That's sad :( . How long did they live?

He's nibbling her flesh. One of mine did this(to my hand) when I didn't feed him for a day. It hurt more than I expected.

i think i found a new fetish.

>Be me
>Own a trantula named Quentin
>Too afraid to touch him
>Feed him a live mantis
>The fucker spergs out
>Knock over Quentin's box
>He gets out and crawls under my bed
>Have to wake my father up at 3AM
>He kills Quentin with a broom
Ever since then I fucking hate mantises

About a year. They also die from problems with molting. My favorite molted with croocked legs, survived until the next molt, then fell because of the bad legs. I watched him molt one last time, then die from his injuries.

That's.... actually kind of depressing. A little buddy you have chillin around for a year, only to die just after you grow really attached. Still getting one though.

I hate insects ...

Fuck you

Yeah man, go for it. I named the smallest, weakest one after Edger Allen poe. He lived to adulthood. He managed to fly off one day. I hope he had a good life.

you should consider using google before trying to be an annoying cunt.

kek

>feeding the most alpha predator of the insect world to a spider

anybody here got a reptile? I'm thinking abouyt something like a snake / lizard

Get a bearded dragon. They're great for a first time reptile owner. Super friendly. Love berries.

you should; a long time ago I had them as pets. +1 OP

that's exactly what I was thinking of. can I ask you more questions about it?

Seconding this. When I was younger she owned a couple. They ate kale, crickets, and superworms. Chill dudes who aren't very agressive and pretty. Requires some heat though.

Sure, go ahead.

I'm going for it. A site has a beginners set including a mantis for only 20$. Pretty excited.

it'll break yer heart when it leaves

you don't even really need to tbh; you just need a big jar. get a hammer and a nail put air holes in the jar lid. put lots of grass in the jar so its soft for your pet and few it house flys or if your to lazy to catch them; go to a pet store and buy a few crickets.

Did they say what kind of mantis it is?

how much would it cost if I get a bearded dragon, including habitat (I'm assuming it needs some high temperature, high humidity kinda habitat).
how much time do I have to invest in it? because I don't have alot of time (for example a dog is too much for me).
how much can I play with it? like does it need alot of rest, or can it handle some human attention from time to time?

also the ones i had as pets were mostly green; however i did find one brown one and one white one, iirc the white one had red and black markings on its wings I live in Sacramento so it maybe just here in cali that, that color is found.

also this

Mine can handle attention everyday. Certain subspecies will swing their rail around until they grip you with it, due to living in trees. A young beardie will cost you about 20 dollars, and a start up beardie set( terrarium, bedding and lights) can be bought from petco for about 50 dollars, of I recall correctly. Mist it occasionally.

Shits like pure evil.

just dont have sex with her. hear they tear off your head after they get off.

*tail.
Mist more often and handle less when they're shedding.mine liloves worms but hates his veggies, so I have a supply of supplemental pellets for him to eat.

www. petsmart .com /reptile/starter-kits/
this site says 200 bucks but I bet I can get some cheaper stuff in a local store
this seems dope man, do they shit alot though? I used to have alot of rodents as pets and for example guinnea pigs used to just pee in my lap which fucking sucked

Can choose between three "beginner" mantids. Budwing, giant african, and twig mantises.

That's fucking awesome

Kinda like choosing your starter pokemon

>this is now a rule34 thread

It depends on how much they eat. Mine shits 2-3 times a month. Also they HATE being near their own shit so make sure to get it out as soon as you notice it. If you take him out and he dashes underneath something, it means he is about to poo. They like their privacy. Survival instinct and all that.

kek

Are you a Boy or a Girl?

I'm actually a non-binary garbage truck.

I'd go with the giant african mantis. Sounds pretty hardy and fun to observe.

New unknown fetish found, thanks! Would really LOVE to see some masturbation while feeding!!

I've been thinking of getting some bees

>hate their own shit
me too
>like their privacy
me too

love these things alread., I'm good at keeping shit clean and looking good and I'm not home alot so they can have privacy all they want

thanks user I'm gonna look into this more and hopefully I will get one soon

Not being an AH-64 Attack Helicopter, check your privilege.

Yeah I'm deciding between a budwing or an african. Twig is small and boring.

No problem. You'll definitely enjoy having one.

keep posting sexy mantises please

WATCH PRAYING MANTIS KILL & EAT HUMMING BIRD

youtube.com/watch?v=uWqTZErviJI

Well, now I'm DEFINITELY getting one. Badass motherfuckers.

and here praying mantis eats bird's brains

youtu.be/ernLnv7Q4Dk?t=58

The larger species are fun, but don't brush off the smaller ones. The jeweled flower and orchid mantises are beautiful, and I hope to get some soon. Also look into the African deviled mantis. Big AND awesome looking. Not sure on the legalilty of owning them, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=d-IN_lsMgmM

:(

poor mantis D:

it'l bite your head off after you fuck it.

Several years ago I caught a mantis outside my parents house. I kept her in a fish tank and fed her crickets. After a couple weeks she laid a huge egg sac and died. I tossed the egg sax in the garden and forgot about it.

10/10 would mantis again

That's cool as shit.

same thing happed to me as a child, as I posted in this tread about finding green/brown and a white mantis. I had a few as a few as a kid, so it was real working keeping them all fed. I then noticed that after they had died they had laid eggs.

not understanding room temp and not just seasonal changes causes the eggs to hatch they did so and i didnt know it was till it was to late.... half of them were dead when i noticed... :c

on a side note when I lived near midtown Sacramento a mantis had laid an egg on my screen door but cause it was sick it most have did something to the egg cause they NEVER hatched. :c

no just mantis
also kill yourself

the white mantis i found when my father had to pick up mother from a work project cause of a ticket she had gotten, anyways it was out in a field when i found it. there were also some blue belly lizards there to. i had two as pets

I keep Harvester Ants. As much as I like it, the shits are VERY hard to maintain, and a few always try to escape. I can only imagine how much worse it would be if they had wings and barbed stingers.

What do you have to do for maintenance?

No shit