Didn't write lyrics

>didn't write lyrics
>didn't do production
>not a musician
>didn't really invent anything at all
Why is this person considered a genius? There are plenty of people on this very board who are much, much, much more skilled with music than him.

He wrote and produced his early shit along with a bunch of other famous artist you dumb fuck

like who on this board

>He wrote and produced his early shit along with a bunch of other famous artist you dumb fuck
he stole aka sampled beats from other people, and he still had writers to write subhuman garbage on his early stuff.

Feel free to STFU now..I don't defend rap/hip-hop producers, but Prime Kanye was a legit monster in his day...College Dropout was my shit.
>not loving "All Falls Down"

All of his samples were credited, so he didn't "steal" shit, nose-breather.

sampling is stealing, retard.
LET ME COPY AND PASTE THIS PART I LIKE, RAP OVER IT, THEN CALL IT MINE. IM A FUCKIN GENIUS MAN
>the absolute state of rap shills

He 'did nothing' and still made millions. If that's not being a genius, I don't know what is.

not true. He has written lyrics and produced. Not so much anymore, but he's genius because his final product is consistently better than anyone else.

He sampled beats from old songs and added his own mixes over them. Much like current rap artists do today and did back then. He produced for jayz and other artist on a label which wouldnt sign him even though he was also making his one music on the side. If you listen to his music youd know this you peasant

He also didn't create much, either. He's an over hyped douche.

i hate the guy personallly but even i can't deny his talent. his obnoxious lifestyle turns me off to his music though. kayne is a sellout

Then you need to shitpost about nearly every musician, ever...The Beatles copy-pasted "Twist & Shout" for their debut American album, and every rock band has imitated someone else since. PLS, STFU

>never released an album that hasn't peaked at 1
>never released an album that hasn't gone platinum
No talent.
Right.

cause if you don't, you're racist and he'll chimp out on you.

There's more to producing than just samples. If it was that simple then why arent you famous yet?

Its not so much of what he made, its just the story of him. struggling and moving state to state, being poor, and everyone pushing him aside. He was one of the first rags to riches story that a lot of the millenial generation saw and approved of because his early raps spoke of this. He then changed his style in accordance to what was becoming popular and influencing his life. Learn pop culture faggot

Blade 2 was/is the best capeshit movie ever

And recorded and album with a broken jaw.

I know this, Mongol. If you know anything whatsoever about Kanye's career, you know that he is an outstanding DJ/producer, and he can play instruments.

stupidity sells, thats why.

what did I miss

"Through The Wire"...jfc..and he flipped an amazing Chaka Khan sample..

EITHER

>he is an amazing musician that deserves the credit

OR

>he is a masterful con man that fooled millions into buying garbage

So he's a genius no matter what. He either did super well or tricked everyone into thinking he did. No one gets that famous for that long based on luck.

THIS..

He's a weird-ass cucked Hollywood dude now, but honestly? Everything before 808 & Heartbreak was a classic

Kanye is less talented than this guy

Kanye is less talented than this guy

>ghostface killah has endorsed Kanye
>MF DOOM has endorsed Kanye... literally all you need IMO
>Kanye was featured on Common's stuff but is infinitely bigger now
>Kanye was on the Chappelle show w/ Common
>Kanye and Dilla produced on Common's album
if you don't fuck with Kanye it's because you don't know shit about real hip hop but to each their own.

Kanye produced for Talib Kweli.
Kweli is the fuckin man.

way to water down the word genius, fag.

the beatles didn't copy paste anything, retard. rock musicians don't copy paste anything, retard. rap is a subhuman genre.

taylor swift has sold more than him, i guess she's a genius right? wrong.

fag.

rap isn't a genre my dude. rap is a verb, I rap, she rapped, we are rapping. get it?

i dont give a fuck who endorsed him. his music is mediocre, he's a hack, and his fanbase is even worse. calling him a genius should be a crime.

you have absolutely nothing to say, so you nitpick irrelevant shit. good job. rap is just another way to say hip hop, retard. everyone knows this and does this.

>i dont give a fuck who endorsed him
but you are a nobody. so your opinion doesn't mean hold as much authority as GFK's or MF DOOM's, understand? and they say he is good.. which means he is good.
nobody really cares what you think, ya dig?

Taylor swift writes and composes a majority of her music and is one of the highest selling pop artists of all time.
If you don't think that requires some degree of talent you may be retarded.

no hip hop is a genre.. kind of. it's more of a culture which comprises breakdancing (b-boy), graffiti, rapping (emcee), and turntable/djaying.

But keep being uninformed bro, it really makes your arguments worth listening to.

what the fuck happened

He samples but he adds to each song he samples. It doesn't feel like he samples just for the hell of it. His lyrics have weight to them and they feel personal. (Ex. Homecoming, Heartless). Graduation is amazing too.

NO NO NO NO. She plays the same 4 chords on her acoustic guitar. The producers actually create the sound of her tracks.

Imagine being this dumb.
Just imagine for a second.
I'll wait.

i clearly have superior taste than the majority of people because i recognize kanye's mediocrity.

her music is garbage and is targeted for 14 year olds, retard. she's not talented.

you clearly are a virgin :^)
kanye is good, tho

you're retarded. hip hop is a musical genre, and rap is another way of saying it.

And yet she will still make more money this year than your entire family will make in their life combined.

that's not what sampling is, retard. keep proving how subhuman kanye's fanbase is.

that's irrelevant, retard. her music is trash and she's not talented.

To rap is an action. Hip-hop is a genre of urban based music which contains rapping and electronic beats.
You can make hip-hop without rapping
And you can rap without creating hip-hop music
They aren't mutually exclusive.

i think i explained to you that rap is a verb which gets conflated with the "genre" of hip hop. but hip hop isn't only music it is graffiti art and a bunch of other things i already mentioned and some i didn't mention my nigga. but you're white so you wouldn't understand, you are a tourist

>www.whosampled.com
>sampled
>not what sampling is
Okay.

as i said before, rap and hip hop are used in the same way. stop nitpicking because you have no retort to kanye being shit.

except the beatles didn't sample any of those things. how can you actually be this retarded?

Listen faggots,

Pop music is called "pop" because it is shortened from the word "popular."

The three major misconceptions people have/say about music in America

1.) No. The record industry does not just decide what artists they want shove down peoples throats and make them famous. The labels spend millions behind music and expect to make a profit. Therefore, they would never put money behind anything that wasn't highly approved by a large buying audience.

2.) Ed Sheeran, Just Beiber and acts like that are HUGE because people like it. most of you faggots will never admit you like it, but somebody does, because who is buying their music? If nobody was, you'd never hear of them.

3.) People think only children buy music, or their parents buy it for them. Wrong. Its mostly college age to 30 female white chicks. And, quite often, their music taste sucks.

Hipsters always act like they like obscure music. The average asshole will always deny liking famous artists. If you hate what's popular, than when you find those arre artists who nobody knows about on the internet, buy their fucking music. Be diligent in letting others know about them. Music sucks now because you assholes stopped supporting it. When labels stopped making money, they stopped investing in new artists and only backed famous artists with guaranteed sales.

This thread is full of retorts to your accusations, you're just too stupid to realize you've been proven incorrect.

different anons, all of us think you are stupid. MF DOOM and GFK say you are good at rapping.. than you are good at rapping. that's how that works.

Well the part where they actually did sample those things.

>mfw people tell me Kanye is shit
>"village niggas get slapped in Manhattan, for rappin', Big GHOST steps of laughing"

>stole aka sampled
That's how culture evolves, child. Memes are stealing too in your blinkered little world, I bet?
Will you pitch a class 5 autism fit if I mention Paul's Boutique?

Then go do it you fucking dumbass

literally who?

its not filled with logical, accurate retorts. its filled with "hurr durr kanye west is a genius hurr durr".

who are you user? are you the little dick birginboi I think you are?

because Villain man never ran with Krills in his hand, AND, won't stop rockin' till he clocked in a gazillion grand.

Underage b&

that's not how it works.

That's just not true

...they didn't though

>rapping
>not music
>not production
>not playing an instrument
>literally talking over music

>they would never put money behind anything that wasn't highly approved by a large buying audience.
>what are forced memes
Cart before horse. They have their formulaic mold and they hire impressionable young kids to force into it.
>HUGE because people like it
They're literally told to like it, and no, kids are actually more interested in the marketing collateral and the bandwagon than the music itself.
>children buy music, or their parents buy it for them
Based on what they were force-fed while growing up. No wonder their taste in music sucks: they have to live some oddly specific marketing lifestyle in order to be accepted by their peer group.
>t.not Steve Albini

whether or not he gave credit isn't whats being argued here. a true "genius" "producer" worth their own weight would be writing their own content, not sampling it from others.

culture has devolved into degeneracy, so that's not a good excuse. stealing doesn't take talent.

that's exactly how it works. when dudes who been rapping before you swam out your dad's balls say kanye is good... then that would mean that kanye is good. i don't really care about gold records and features but I guess
those are good too.
by "production" I suppose you mean djaying and turntabling and sample artistry?
>literally talking over music
you mean spoken poetry? lyricism? also to emcee a crowd you need to have entertainment skills and charisma. I am pretty sure you have never performed for a large crowd of hundreds or thousands.

>listening to rap
>being an adult
pick one

>stealing doesn't take talent
Good thing the National Anthem isn't sung to an English drinking song, eh?
Democrat shill spotted

Weird. Sup Forums despises blacks yet idolizes one of the worst of them.

You're puting the cart before the horse. Life reflects music, not the other way around. Nobody is forcing anything on anyone. We just live in a capitalist society with a free market and the free market does what it does. People wants something and somebody finds a way to supply it for money. Its really that simple. Your conspiracies that there is a some evil group of elitist men who dictate who everyone is and how they should think is just retarded. Because even if that were true. Even say, five men ruled the way everyone thought, you would be asserting that all five men think and feel the same way about the outcome of everything. like as if they themselves would have no disagreements. Its just plain dumb. Its just an excuse. Oh people act this way and that way cause, "society". Its bullshit. People should take responsibility for their own shitty desires and addictions. Nobody makes you do shit. you like Justin Beiber cause you like Justin Beiber faggot.

Let's summarise for you, since you're too dumb to understand the many different posts in this thread.
>he wrote and produced early work for himself and several other successful artists
>he credited his samples which is a widely accepted method of musical creation used by a majority of artists including the beatles
>every album he has released has gone platinum
>every album he has released has peaked at #1
>he went literally from rags to riches from his music
>he recorded an album with a broken jaw
>his debut album has better reviews than artists than popular artists today's debut albums
>he has been endorsed by other artists of considerable skill and success

well said.

>genius
This.

>808 & Heartbreak
That album's sound was he trip that made it good, if nothing else. Artists have copied the sound of that album for years. Kanye started a new kind of hip hop with that album. I thought we were past this about 808 and have come to realize its importance in hip hop.

>what the fuck happened
He is a real artist in Hollywood who played by the rules for the first few years then really everything became played by his rules after the untimely, as he put it, passing of someone close to him.

>gazillion grand
Do I really need to say anything else?

And if you feel like that, then there is literally no way you can criticize Kanye West..

>that's exactly how it works. when dudes who been rapping before you swam out your dad's balls say kanye is good... then that would mean that kanye is good. i don't really care about gold records and features but I guess those are good too.
not how it works. listening with an unbiased mind and making a decision yourself is how you decide whether music is good or not. you clearly havent done this.

holy shit, i think you're on to something. could this be why blacks commit so much crime? because they're mentally still children?

>he wrote and produced early work for himself and several other successful artists
he never worked completely solo. always had writers and producers.
>he credited his samples which is a widely accepted method of musical creation used by a majority of artists including the beatles
except its not. its copy and pasting other peoples work and calling it your own. its stealing, and its degenerate.
>every album he has released has gone platinum
sales don't determine quality.
>every album he has released has peaked at #1
charting doesn't determine quality.
>he went literally from rags to riches from his music
has nothing to do with this discussion.
>he recorded an album with a broken jaw
has nothing to do with this discussion.
>his debut album has better reviews than artists than popular artists today's debut albums
imagine actually caring about critics in the 21st century. fucking laughable.
>he has been endorsed by other artists of considerable skill and success
endorsements don't determine quality, as they're always done from a biased point of view. always.

Clearly you have a bias to rap music and anything of predominantly black culture.

And as has been stated countless times over, he DOES create original tracks, but the popular stuff has a sample/interpolation of some other popsong fron back in the day. i don't see you complaining about the worst samplers/stealers of all time, The Beatles.

Since your so knowledgeable about what it takes to become a musical genius why don't you recommend me some genius artists then?

Huh? What did the Beatles sample?

>see

I'm a legit oldfag, so of course I despise any and most of the trap-hop/T-Pain vocoder ish that runs the airwaves now...can't lie, some of it is nice af though.

incorrect. i enjoy good rap music, but i criticize sampling and bad musicians like kanye.

>And as has been stated countless times over, he DOES create original tracks, but the popular stuff has a sample/interpolation of some other popsong fron back in the day. i don't see you complaining about the worst samplers/stealers of all time, The Beatles.
he doesn't create original tracks, and the beatles did not steal anything.

i can't logically recommend anything to someone who unironically believes kanye is a genius.

>Using other people's music in their own music isn't stealing.

that link is inaccurate. none of those things were sampled.

You can't logically argue
You can't logically recommend me any music
What exactly is the point of you anyway

>Using other people's music in their own music isn't stealing.
the beatles didn't do that.

I'll let you go through life believing that
And being wrong.

Except they did.