Any Med Fags?

Any Med Fags?

My dad's a hardcore alcoholic and has been for around 25-30 years, yesterday he was rushed to the hospital (Where he still is), because he was hallucinating and just generally freaking out.

I visited him today, and my grandma tried to steer me away as he had gotten worse, he was still talking about seeing men all around his room, still super confused as to why nurses were putting IV's and such in him, and he was talking with very slurred speach but it was semi fluent english, it just didn't apply to what was actually happening. He didn't know my name at first, he later said my name and made a few jokes but It was hard to tell if he was actually there or it just randomly aligned.. He couldn't drink water by himself and was slumped heavily to one side in the bed.

I don't know, opinions? Feels thread? Fuck.

RN fag here... I see a lot of alcohol, opiate, and benzo withdrawals at work (county jail). Sounds like he is withdrawing. Sweating, elevated vital signs, shakes (tremors) are all signs of alcohol withdrawal. Hallucinating is when it gets serious (srsly). The hospital is where he needs to be right now.

he ran out of booze and the hospital is going to give him brain damage instead of more. not to mention that their treatment, vitamin b, causes its down convulsions and brain damage if it's not dont carefully. not to mention the antipsychs they'll put him on that will destroy his personality and turn him into a silent drooling pudding.

enjoy your new vege-dad.

If it's withdrawal as RNfag said, delirium tremens could be what your father is experiencing.

Yeah, they thought that's what it was but he had still been drinking until he fell and hit his head (Why he was taken in for) and they've been talking a whole shit load less positivley since my grandma unveiled that lil tidbit.

RN fag again, the hospital will likely taper him down from the alcohol withdrawals with a scheduled benzo regiment. Probably valium, maybe ativan. He needs to hydrate and to get those vitamins. Long term alcoholism robs your body. Google Wernicke's.

Fell and hit head changes shit. How old is your dad?

this happened to my grandpa, he got the wet brain

fuckin #rekt

Yeah I looked up shit on this last night because I had just been told it was some sort of alcohol induced thing, kinda just dropped it on me once I was actually there.

Truth... I've seen it several times. Fucking sad and not really reversible.

Long time drinker...
Fell and hit head...
Not making much sense...
If he's lucky, it might just be a mild concussion. Could be a brain bleed (maybe stroke), could be Wernicke's... They need to scan his head.

They are tomorrow morning, sure that's going to be fun

He likely got a concussion which can have a man delirious for days and not quite right for a couple of months.

But to be honest, some old people never really recover from concussions, they're just too senile and half retarded to begin with. 60+, he might just sort of stay that way. My mom got a concussion last year and she's been quasi retarded for like a year now.

I think it sort of has to do with how much you train your brain and think on a daily basis. It seems like people that read, work intellectual jobs, and like to study shit they're interested in; generally make a full recovery from concussions pretty quickly.

People who just stay perpertually high/drunk and watch tv, seem to be fucked up by them a lot longer. And those old people that just sit and watch Matlock reruns and infomercials are frequently never right again. It's always one fall and brain jolt and then they begin the decline leading to their death.

Best of luck, bro.

He hasn't worked in a few years now, He wasnt retarded to start with though he was a pretty smart guy for an old fuck.

I've been around for years on here though, I've seen a ton of threads like mine and far worse. I'm not really under any veil that this is going to end well. Sucks that other family members are though.

Tell your shitty excuse of a dad to lay off the sauce and grow the fuck up and be a parent for once. That money should go towards your college fund you ratardo. You're an even bigger faggot than him for coming here for sympathy.

I knew I should have said it was my cat instead

I go to AA meetings with a dude who had a combination of this and head injury (multi week coma). He can barely talk, hard to understand, but is coherent. The good news is there is literally no way your dad will be this bad, but I have seen this somewhat first hand

Sigh. The usual treatment for piece of shit piss heads who are admitted to hospital is IV fluids, IV Thiamin, often low dose ethanol and sedative use.

I fucking hate pissheads. They are a waste of time and I wish every pain onto your father. He will now cause the nursing staff untold hours of difficulty and disruption due to his withdrawal from from a self inflicted addiction.

Not a med fag here just an alcoholic.

Look up "wet brain".

>he was still talking about seeing men all around his room

he's fantasizing about a gay orgy

im so sorry this is happening to you. he will probably die very soon. the chance that he can turn this around is getting smaller and smaller. i would recommend that you say your goodbyes to him as soon as he is coherent, let him know that you would love to help him stop drinking, but that its really up to him, and if he doesnt stop, he will die. if he argues, just tell him you love him and you can see what is happening, and ask him to say something loving to you, so you can remember it. it might get him to consider stopping, probably not, but its all you can do. that, and never again talk to him until he has entered rehab. no contact. ill say a prayer

Hmm that is quite interesting. Do you think the same thing applies to the elderly who never recover from the ..dun dun duuuuun FALL!!!!

Maybe its not the same in the US, but here, jesus christ, the elderly talk in hushed tones about this deadly figure called the FALL.

Simply because so many of them have a fall, break a hip and never recover properly and die of HAP.

social worker fag, went off on how to talk with him. rn fag is right, this is etoh withdrawal, its treatable, hes in the right place. thats the easy part. the hard part is letting him know how serious this is. for now, try not to worry.

I mean, that's semi worse than him just never being coherent again.

Try harder, It's not like I support alcoholism, I've almost never drank because of him.

No, he's been describing then more as just dark figures, can't be an orgy is tgey have no cocks.

Well, I think a lot of it is their brain has already half collapsed structurally because of corroded synapses, dementia, and alzheimer, then when it takes a big jolt; they pretty much go to 75IQ level for their few remaining months.

Old people dread The Fall not so much for the fact that it takes them like 5 times longer to heal (with a lot of residual pain in that area until they die), but because generally it comes with a blow to the head that knocks them full potato.

My mom is fully retarded from one. She's in her mid 60s, not even that old, but I think her brain prematurely rotted from having diabetes pretty bad and not at all taking care of herself (which pretty much cooks all organs very quickly, particularly the brain).

RNfag too, sounds like hepatic encephalopathy due to elevated amonia levels because he's fucked his liver over. Lactulose, Ativan, Librium, thiamine, b12 and banana bags will be his friend for the next week. Btw the lactulose will make him shit hardcore (liquid orange shit) to get that amonia out. Is he jaundiced? Yellow sclera/skin? Does he have white "crystals" on his skin, almost look like dandruff flakes?

No, he looks perfectly fine given what's happened anyway.

He's skinnier than usual, from what I know he's just a drinker but maybe his weight loss could be him using something else more recently? Or maybe he's just gotten that bad.

Your dad has the ability to see beyond the veil between this world and the next. He needs your help, he can't do this alone.

Get him out of the hospital and take him to Lagash. Get him to Telloh and at the western edge of the newest excavation, walk west 148 paces and dig down about 8 feet.

>assuming all men have cocks

triggers as fuck, you piece of shit transphobe

Dad?

FUCK. I'm a monster!

That is bloody awful man. So sad that someone so young has such a poor prognosis. I am always curious about the evidence of diabetes being a contributing factor to dementia.

some experience with learning deficits,& effective treatment I found not till age 45,alternative medicine, papo was alcoholic for 5 or 5 years before I was born,sometimes had a couple shots * (35 cents back then) on route to the house from his bank job then a couple quart bottles of brewsky,dozed off in an easy chair,to bed,snore like a bear strangling all night,sometimes the noise woke us up,get got rotten mean on weekends around ten oclock saturday,with only beer he got droopy eyed hang dog looking & said dumb shit stuff, mom spent years rolling her eyes at us,never laid down the law to him,quit it or I & the kids are outa here,that never happened.
every clown who drinks around the kids or drinks elsewhere & comes home,is not there in the head for the job of accurately sizing up how the kids are doing acting rationally,mom would be better off bolting with the kids even if it means a much more difficult life with a lesser paying job,and a babysitter.
altcare medicine,they usually are not recognized by the establishment schools,ditto junior colleges where assistant nurses get 'accredited'
colleges that offer students a BA in nursing,similar but more complex curriculum,,always always,,pharma based internal med ditto whatever the specialty pediatrician,old age specialty whatever.
you had best make your life outside of whatever crap you have been living,the genetic defect if there is one,ought to be considered if when you have your own

That's good then, his liver might not be as shot as I assumed then. Wt loss is likely just because of poor diet, mainly consuming calories in the form of alcohol. Are his limbs skinny but his abdomen/belly is large? With alcoholism that's indicative of enlarged liver/hepatitis and ascites. When it gets that bad though thy generally need a thoracentesis because they are so full of fluid that it affects breathing. If he doesn't have any of this going on he likely isn't in liver failure yet and hopefully any brain bleed he might have had clears up and he can recover and (probably not likely, sorry just being honest cause I see it so often) get his shit together.

My dad's been sober enough most of my life, he hasnt lived with me since I was 7, so he can hide it from me. He just kinda disappears and gets too ashamed to call/talk to me when he goes on his hard binges.

He's also never been violent or anything.

My dads an alcoholic and this same thing happened to him. Basically all he did was drink and barely ate. So he was malnourished and his sodium levels were dangerously low and that caused him to hallucinate and see people that weren't there too. Was freaky. He's ok now, still drinks all day every day. It's sad, he's had near death experience after near death experience after near death experience from drinking but he just never stops. He wonders why I have no respect for him.

He's had the slight belly small limbs thing aslong as I can remember, and I only saw him laying today so It's pretty hard to tell.

He's had pretty long phases of being better at moderation but he's never fully stopped that I know of, I assume he would have to now. I know that'll never happen, it's not all that mean to say it lol.

>not OP
>thoracentesis
yep, that sounds like what killed my mom when she got cancer... her torso was probably filling with liquid

We'll, hopefully it's just an electrolyte issue (it's what the plants crave!!!) and he'll be out soon. Sorry for you having to go through this, I see how it affects so many families and it just kills me. Best of luck to you man.

Sorry man, it still boggles my mind that we haven't cured cancer yet. It's all just a fucking $$$ game, should have been cured years ago. When you get to the point of needing a tap every other or every day just to stay breathing, then it's game over. Probably my least favorite patients because it's so hopeless at that point but the patient is still so aware of everything.