Weldanon here again

Weldanon here again.
I took your advice and tried to apply it.
This was my attempt at welding two pieces of pipe butted after doing a couple test beads with what I learned from the last thread.

I got some 3/32nds 7018 like was suggested but I couldn't for the life of me get it to sustain an arc @ 70amps. My conclusion is that my welder is too small and I need to upgrade.
Weird thing is I have some 1/8th 6013 and I can just manage to hold an arc and weld with it @ 70amps, but the arc distance is stupid short.

This is also the highlight of the weld, it got kinda shitty in places, I did it in 5 passes after 2 tacks.

the further you get from your pool the more it will just blow everywhere. keep it close keep it tight. try circles, small ones, and drag your pool.

literally, just practice what you just did until you get the hang of it. im out.

Two questions? What is the thickness of the pipe? Sch 40? Sch 80? What is your set up procedure? Did you bevel the pipe and put a land on it? Leave a gap for open root? You need to 6010 the root, 7018 hot pass and cap

that area is probably the point where the metal collected enough heat or got hot enough. 70 amps is pretty low. you can/should preheat it with a torch if that's your only option.

Also slow down, looks like you're whipping out too much.

small small small. Will keep in mind.

It was just scrap I had, I would guess 1/16th wall thickness. Maybe just under

I want to drop out of college and become a union iron worker with a specialty in welding. Redpill me

If your learning how to weld do not start on pipe

get some scrap, grind off the rust and practice stricking the arc, then you can try weaving doing horizon, vertical, and overhead,

from a 19 year old welder

Good jieb.

It's mid 30's outside, so it was definitely cold.
70 is the highest mine goes, and it's the minimum called for for the sticks I'm using, and I can't find anything smaller in person.
I'll hit it with map or dissolved acetylene tomorrow before trying again.

That's one scary looking vagina.

>19 year old
why would anyone take advice from a child

Why would you discredit someone based on their age?
A 19 year old could have 8 years welding experience easily. Lots of highschools in the country offer welding classes. It all depends on someones experience level, which age can't always tell you. Kids are amazing at picking up skills.

Also looks like it was too hot

dude, that looks like exhaust pipe. Practice on some 1/8 or 3/16 at right angles. Or even make some respectable straight beads on a plate.

^This guy. Baby steps user.

It's comparable to an exhaust pipe.
It was just a cheap bollard I tore out of a house they had to keep their kids from falling over.
Only substantial steel I've got right now is a bumper off a YJ, since I'm not looking at it right now I'll look like a dickhead guessing, but I'd say it's maybe 3/16ths thick, but it seems so useful to fuck up with practicing.

Since you are doing such thin metal pipe with stick welding. Here what I would suggest. Make 4 points around the pipe equal distance apart. Take it up on the 4 points. Weld point A to point B. Let it cool down. Skip a section and weld the point A to point B. Repeat.

I am an ironworker (non-union, they are not strong in my state) with a "specialty" in welding. The work is fun. But you wont be welding much and when you do it most likely wont go through UT, just visual testing, so it can look like birdshit. Not that I let my welds look like hammered dogshit mind you.

A child that lays down bird shit

The 19 year old never posted any weld examples.

do you have parkinson or something ?

I haven't done stick in years, looking to get back into it actually, Start with thicker shit til you get your discipline down. Thin is the toughest. Ask a guy how much it costs to weld a fender. Go get some 1X1X1/8 angle and try to make a stool or plant stand or something. The thickness is forgiving, and if you fuck up, grind it out and do it again.

Are you trying to weld on an extension cord or way away from the breaker? Looks like you're not getting your full amperage out the machine

remeber kids , stainless steel weld smoke is toxic and should not be recirculated unless you have proper filters

Also, I usually see exhaust guys use oxy/acetylene because they can control the heat better. But what do I know.

Also maybe consider downsizing your stick size, should make it easier to weld on the thinner stuff

Go pipeline. Be prepared to do alot of meth

Nah, I added a 20amp 110 circuit literally a foot below the panel just for this welder. I got it for free, but it's looking more and more like I'll need to stick a 220 in and get a bigger welder.

Are you trying to weld a pussy? Because that's wat it looks like

OKAY OP
First off: don't use 6013 for running neat beads, especially on pipe that thing. Use 6010 or 6011 for your root on thicker pipe, 7018 for intermediate and cover. From the pic it looks like you were moving at an inconsistent speed and having your electrode drift from the puddle. Also, when burning pipe: START UNCOMFORTABLE and END COMFORTABLE. 6013 is for mending fences bud, throw it away.

Hexavaylent Chromium is not your friend!

>20amp 110
fuck man.

Shut the fuck up clipboard warrior. He is not doing any kind of volume that would affect him in the slightest.

I thought this was a black woman's vagina at first glance.

>START UNCOMFORTABLE and END COMFORTABLE
Not OP, but I'll keep this in mind. I like it. I usually find myself doing the opposite.

This is good advice.

Picrelated is the welder I have.

>mid 30s
>cold
Faggot Nancy boy detected
>Alaska true masterace

Tighter arc and you shouldn't be traveling downhill like that. Knock 5-10 amps off and keep that arc right in there. Rod angle is critical

Cold is a relative term.
30's too cold to paint.

This is the LEAST autistic thread I've ever seen on Sup Forums. A person trying to learn a new useful skill and asking for and receiving genuine advice.

Not a banana or transvestite to be seen...

What the fuck is going on?

Im able to weld it at 110 amps with 6010. No whip n' pause like you would usually do, just dig that bitch in that butt n ride her

Here u go

Not really an answer for OP, but a good "old guy's wisdom" book:

tinyurl .com
/
y8a7jx8j

-Remove *. Fuck this spam filter!

Shit, no more *. Just put it in.

Looks like an uphill flange to me.

It's art dude.

kek

Confirmed. This user is not a nigger.

(if he is, he's a virgin)