What's the most "(not true, by the way)" music-related fact ever? It may not simply be not true...

What's the most "(not true, by the way)" music-related fact ever? It may not simply be not true, the fact must be not true in the (not true, by the way) manner. Meaning it's commonly believed to be true, but it's actually (not true, by the way)

Other urls found in this thread:

tours.atu2.com/concert/elland-road-football-stadium-leeds-jul-01-1987
tours.atu2.com/concert/hammersmith-palais-london-jun-09-1981
youtube.com/watch?v=HXRBLyLQtiM
youtube.com/watch?v=oDeSj2lebgY
youtube.com/watch?v=qamBmWt8Cwo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Ramones were the first punk band (not true by the way)

Kraftwerk were the first electronic artists (not true,by the way)

We're all talented geniuses.
(not true, by the way)
Suicide, right?

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five were the first hip-hop group (not true, by the way)

Scaruffi won prizes for his Beatles fanfiction (not true, by the way)

U2 were post-punk who formed in the mid-1970s and played shows with This Heat and The Fall (not true by the way)

Cher was the first artist to use Auto-Tune in her 1998 song "Believe" (not true, by the way)

Phil Collins saw someone drown another person, wrote a song about it and publicly shamed that person on his concert (not true, by the way)

Kurt Cobain planned to be in the 27 Club (not true, by the way)

Hip Hop can be considered art as much as any other genre of Music (not true, by the way)

Kurt Cobain committed suicide (not true, by the way)

topkek
unironically true though

Spandau Ballet's first hit single was To Cut a Long Story Short (no True, by the way)

The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way)

I never got this, because the Beatles have sold more units than any other artist in history

John Lennon protected his wife from harm (not true, by the way)

That's why he backed it up with detailed statistics on record sales rather than just a stupid snide remark.

>invalidating yourself in the middle of making a point
what did he mean by this?

Nine Inch Nails was the first band to make industrial music poppy and mainstream-friendly (not true, by the way)

After a long battle with addiction, depression and lifelong dark thoughts, Elliot Smith commited suicide (not true, by the way) by stabbing himself twice on the chest.

That Sweet Home Alabama is a Neil Young diss.

Black Sabbath came up with the heavy metal riffing style (not true, by the way)

t. lusty negro

user, I'm pretty sure Scruffy LIKES lusty negro attitudes

Kurt Cobain committed suicide and totally wasn't murdered by his wife (not true by the way)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST (not true, by the way))

I wouldn't call Ministry poppy

I'd even say the Doors, desu

Grimes is a good musician (not true by the way)

(not true, by the way)

Not even their Michael Jackson / Prince impression on Twitch?

Besides, I'm talking about SPK and Depeche Mode.

Whay was he banned tho

Yup, she's actually the greatest of all time.

Jim was the biggest influence for Iggy Pop, and I consider the Stooges to be the premier punk band

sure but that doesn't make them punk, you're saying yourself you consider the stooges to be the premier punk band.

Who was it then? The Beatles, for that one song off Abbey Road? Steppenwolfe?

I've heard people claim it was The Kinks with Girl You Really Got Me. No idea if it's true.

Not him but I wouldn't consider the Doors punk in light of their influence on Iggy. Closer to punk (but not quite) in the Doors' time would be all the garage rock bands making noise throughout the US/UK

>Whay was he banned tho

He wasn't

Pretty much all of Scruffy's Beatles essay

In what way is that metal? If anything you could claim that was the first punk riff.

Jim defined the attitude, Iggy refined it and defined the music. It's 100% arguable for or against, but that's why I consider Doors to be the first, as the main roots

Like Sonics, Monks, and MC5?

t was the first feature of power chords (which were later pivotal for metal)

yep

i'd lean towards the Beatles

Power chord goes back a bit earlier to Link Wray's Rumble

tritones are more metal than power chords

Which song off Abbey Road? It's been years since I listened to the album.

>Like Sonics, Monks, and MC5?
Yeah, that's my take on it anyhow

Kraftwerk were the first synthpop (not true,by the way)

tours.atu2.com/concert/elland-road-football-stadium-leeds-jul-01-1987
tours.atu2.com/concert/hammersmith-palais-london-jun-09-1981

not like that has to be a race

The central riff off I Want You (She's So Heavy), particularly the long outro where the riff loops and does indeed get pretty damn heavy. It sounds pretty dark considering it's the Beatles.

Ministry were forced to release a new wave synthpop album by their label even though they had no interest in the genre (not true, by the way, we know from their recently-rereleased demo songs that they were synthpop from the very beginning, you've ran out of lies, Al J)

It's really borderline. It's heavy, sure, but it resolves itself in a very quiet, non-metal way. I personally think that a typically metal riff has to resolve itself with some dissonance

Thanks

That's just blues rock though, Helter Skelter was heavier.

You don't seem to know what blues rock is, huh?

The Beatles deserve all the prasie (not true, by the way)

Every idea ever used in dance music exists in the song Tomorrow Never Knows

youtube.com/watch?v=HXRBLyLQtiM

(not true, by the way)

First punk band
youtube.com/watch?v=oDeSj2lebgY

Many bands like The Sonics, The Stooges, The Electric Eels, etc. were doing music very similiar to punk rock several years before The Ramones. It just wasn't called "punk" at the time.

I mean that Suicide was the first band called Punk (Lester Bangs) and were also the first band to popularize the term.

creed is not a good band (not true by the way)

you have literally no idea what heavy means in this context lol

(sensible chuckle)

interesting if true

>During the early 1970s, Bangs and some other writers at Creem began using the term punk rock to designate the genre of 60s garage bands and more contemporary acts, such as MC5 and Iggy and the Stooges.[14][15]

not trying to refute, just don't know where you read that about Bangs. Never listened to Suicide before, but am giving their first record a spin

Joy Division was a popular band while Ian Curtis was still alive.

Eminem is the greatest rapper of all time (not true, by the way)

Despite losing the battle for the number 1 single, Oasis eventually won the "Battle of Britpop" with Morning Glory (not true by the way)

Sup Forums has really good taste in music and is a good place to discover new stuff.

Nice trips, by the way

It is true though

this

This is the Sup Forums-est idea for a thread ever

(not true, by the way)

>1976
that's pretty old

Real, true opinions coming through:

1. Black Sabbath was not the first band to play metal riffs but they were the first band to release a metal album
2. Power chords have arguably been around since at least the chuck berry riff (alternating between a power chord and a 6th chord), and furthermore power chords are more punk than metal. Like half of early Sabbath riffs are single notes, not power chords.
3. Rumble doesn't have any power chords in it.

Why do you bother to talk about artists you know nothing about? The song wasn't off of Abbey Road, It was off the White Album and was Helter Skelter.

Casuals.

The "Power Chord" goes back to classical music, where it was thought to be a bastardization of a good musical chord by providing only the fifth and the octave. They were thought to be in bad taste and show insufficient musical education in the composer.

Popular music is of merit (not true, by the way)

Well, the power chord in rock/punk/metal goes back to at least chuck berry.

KICK OUT THE JAMS, MOTHERFUCKERS
Sounds pretty punk.
Ironic that one of their live versions is actually a jam.

kek, underrated

No one believes this.

Post Rock started in the 80s (not true, by the way)

Clear Light - Street Singer, from 1967

youtube.com/watch?v=qamBmWt8Cwo

You're not even trying.

whats the truth

Edgard Varese

wouldnt it be cabaret voltaire?

They're a pop "rawk" band that formed in the 90s and peaked in the early mid-2000s with two hits songs "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo"

OK Computer, ITAOTS and Spiderland are the greatest albums of all time (not true, by the way, soft mumbles aren't deep)

>What's the most "(not true, by the way)" music-related fact ever?
Before the Beatles, rock was a simple dance music. Any time you hear a chord in a major key rock song beyond a basic I IV V progression, the Beatles did it first (See Help! and Rubber Soul). Anytime you hear a rock song modulate to a new key, the Beatles did it first (Day Tripper). Anytime you hear a time signature change in a rock song, the Beatles did it first (Rain). Anytime you hear a drummer have compositional input in a song as more than just a time keeper, the Beatles did it first (Rubber Soul). Anytime you hear most forms of studio wizardry, the Beatles did it first (Sgt. Pepper's, Rain, others). Proto-Metal? The Beatles did it first (Helter Skelter), with some help from Hendrix. Psychadelic rock? The Beatles did it first (Revolver). Noise rock? The Beatles did it first (Tomorrow Never Knows). Symphonic pop? The Beatles did it first (Eleanor Rigby). Electronic music? The Beatles did it first (Revolution 9). Ambient music? The Beatles did it first (Revolution 9). Anytime you hear distortion play a key role in music, the Beatles did it first (I feel Fine). Anytime you hear a drummer play in matched grip or mic a bass drum, Ringo did it first. Anytime you hear strange instrumentation in a pop or rock song, the Beatles did it first (Norwegian Wood). Anytime you hear sophisticated lyrics in rock music, you can thank the Beatles (Help!, Rubber Soul), with some help from Dylan. Anytime you hear themes or concept albums, you can thank the Beatles (Sgt. Pepper's), with some help from the Beach Boys. The Beatles paved the way for EVERYONE, from the Kinks to Zappa.

Listen to pop music in 1963 and 1967. The difference is unbelievable, and the band that spearheaded all of that was the Beatles. You don't need to read about it; you can actually HEAR it.

So, if this is the untrue part, what is the truth?

there's too many untrue things in there for me to give a comprehensive list of the truth, but if you pick any one claim I shall counter it

nice

How 'bout the first one.

Michael Jackson was a child molestor (not true, by the way)