I'm developing a board game. Anyone have some experience?

I'm developing a board game. Anyone have some experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

bit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

As a product or just for shits and giggles with friends?

Misc card art

I'm developing it alone and idk. I'd like to put it into production. I have a colleague who is really deep in the board game community, reviews them professionally and stuff. He's introduced me to some successful Kickstarter developers and they have given really excellent feedback so far.

Though only play tests will tell.

Box art

Would anyone be interested in seeing the Rulebook?

Have a nigger card that steals stuff

Thanks for bumping the thread.

For an item card lol

It looks well planned enough as far as logistics go, but reconsider the art style. To be honest it looks unprofessional, more like a Flash game.

Have you started iterating yet?

The arts slow going thing, I'm mostly redoing things right now to figure of a 'style'

And nope, not yet. I'm preparing just a really basic print of it right now to get some early testing done. Hopefully by next week I'll have a proper alpha version.

There's a bunch of FB groups for board game dev that are well-populated. You'd do well to be on those - I've learned quite a bit from lurking there.

groups/GameDesignersGuild
groups/TabletopKickstarters

Art style is fine for a prototype. Most important thing you can do early is get a working version in front of people, see how they interact with it, and see if it's any fun.

Tbh tho I've gotten a lot of good comments on the art. Some of the cards are definitely weaker but it's been well received on other forums. It's drawn from art like Machi Koro

If you want to get it into production through a Kickstarter, you can NEVER start building your mailing list too early. You should be taking this game to any game-focused con near you and trying to get people to play it, and sign up for your mailing list while you're at it. I have a game that's "done" but won't be Kickstarter-ready for a good 6mo because I slacked on building an audience, and Kickstarter won't magically get you one of those.

Oh yeah, very good idea. I'll check then out, ty.

The scary part :p it's exciting to tell people about. People get laughs out of some items and mechanics. I'm so excited to try it for real though, it's killing me.

I wanna send out some blind tests with surveys lol

I've too been developing a "make the map as you go" kinda game, but mine is way cooler despite only concept art.

Mechanics are a bitch, and I had to make my own blueprints for a "face plate" which is this little Pentagon card with rotating backs to keep track of stats, health, armor, threat, etc. It sounds like a lot but the face plates make it easy to manage.

Iterate the fuck off it. Playtest the game and The rules with people. If they don't get the rules, (just they reading you silent)re-made it

I hope you have this already patent, cause I'm gonna steal it

Where is the rule book can i see

Mine started as a complicated dungeon building game. I had mechanics involving pegs and holes on the tiles lol. Way to complicated and messy. I thought the dungeon theme was just worn, and used a random word generator to get Gnome and I was like oh shit that works perfectly.

All of my art is really cartooney and colorful so it just worked out well

See you on the other side bud.

In person test before blind test. Blind tests are good for telling you things once you've gotten everything refined. In-person tests will tell you a LOT about what needs refining, before you send it off to people you can't coach // get data from when the thing goes off the rails.

lol have fun troll. It's common knowledge that pursuing a patent for a board game is almost always fucking worthless.

I've experienced that with this game twice. Sloppy rules, bad presentation. I feel confident this rule right up, my book looks great and seems easy to understand.

So much this. And be sure to take notes // give out feedback forms with focused questions when you're doing this.

Until I sue for for copyright infringement. Go back to /tg/

make it like Monopoly but instead of building hotels it's concentration camps

Copyright != patent. Gain some knowledge, or lurk moar, I dun give a fuck which.

>1940s edition.

You mean Trademark

To be fair, they already kinda did this in early versions of Settlers of Catan.

Or you can get real racist and play Puerto Rico, aka "How do I best get these brown people to work on my plantation"

One of my favorite Monopoly versions

bit dot ly/2hjmQW6

Yup, check it out.

Trademark == branding etc, copyright == the creative work itself

I love making surveys lol

Wait, have you seriously not gotten a bunch of people together to do playtest at least a dozen games?

Not yet? I'm preparing a simple print and play version, hopefully start testing soon.

>pegs and holes in the tiles

Jesus Christ man. I thought my fractions were getting too crazy for most people. I designed a risk world building game, got the map around here somewhere... found it, but the factions and abilities need a lot of re-work.

Once I thought of this new combat system then all these new ideas came flooding and I just had to change projects.

Play testing for the first one, the risk one I dropped (pic related) was mildly good, but this other one has people actually asking me to play and damn it gets my dick hard to hear that; even from friends and family.

>bit dot ly/2hjmQW6
Snap feedback: more diagrams. I want to see an image of the game successfully set up immediately following the setup rules, as a check to make sure you're doing it right.

"When a 2nd Gnome Home is revealed, remove the
other one from the board."

Which one is the 'other one'? This is ambiguous.

Each enchanted tile should probably show its own image for clarity. Same with berry tiles, etc.

Games need a tiebreaker. Come up with one.

Oh, that looks fascinating!

I can relate. It's really exciting when I describe the game to people and they actually laugh or smile. Nice feeling.

The best feeling I've ever had from testing my game at a con was when one of my players got up and told her friend that she needed to come play this game NOW, which led her to tell a different friend the exact same thing after that demo.

Game's ready. But making a game and making a product and selling it are two completely fucking different things, and I'm finding out just how bad I am at the latter.

Still want to Kickstart though. Anything less feels like quitting.

You've already spent way too much time on graphics. Any board game should be pencil writing on business card stock for the first few games.

Something is going to be fundamentally wrong with your game that requires you to redo everything and you're not going to like it.

I actually just made some similar changes that I hadn't uploaded yet. I have an "in process" game diagram with numbered parts and info. Also clarified some wording. I'll go over that like again, it's supposed to mean only one can be on the board. When a new one is revealed, remove the old one.

Ty for the feedback

Well, I love doing the art anyway. I'm practicing skills regardless so I don't care. Also, I can't imagine major changes at this point, beyond balancing. I mean im ready to ditch an entire card type if I need to, and the art I can reuse however I need to.

That's really awesome dude. I can only imagine.

Truth though. I'm definitely finding someone to manage the project on that level. I know nothing about what kind of undertaking it is to successfully launch something like that.

I just want to finish Project B (current dungeon crawler game disguised as dimension hopping like Hypercube, also single player is enabled) and get it published.

It's not a surprise that so many of "us" see kickstarting as the "final goal." That's what's up though about the reception.

I've experienced this. NO game survives its first playtest intact. The very simple core mechanic which drives my game is still intact from the first playtest... but the costs of every action and the win condition are completely different, I've added two additional major systems to the game to provide competing objectives and avenues of play, halved the game length, and added a catch up mechanic - with almost ALL of that coming from feedback I got from playtesting this game at conventions over the last few years.

I'm just warning you that if you don't make playtesting your absolute first priority, your gameplay is going to be garbage. Guaranteed. If you're okay with that, more power to you

To be fair, this is my third go at the rules. Though its been a few years the last time I did it playtests were just terrible. Like barely had a successfully finished game. I wasn't at all prepared then. So I've had a LOT of time to refine the rules over and over, and even writing it the past few days its changing a lot.

I could see it totally changing still. Ill just roll with it I guess, Like I said I enjoy making the art anyway.

Lol I'm still going to play test it. I'm floored to play test it.

It's the times haha. That's like the 'made it' for game development anyway. I just want to see a project through. It was seriously childhood dream just to make and sell a game. I don't care if it's successful, as long as it's a good game and a finished product.

I should probably quit lurking this thread. I have another revision of my rulebook to do, I need to update all my player aides to the new language I introduced on my last revision, and I owe two blind playtest groups a copy, which I need to be making.

Oh, and I need to make sure my copy is ready for Unplugged next week in case one of the Unpub tables opens up. No rest for the wicked.

>combat testing was smoking and rolling dice with paper to keep track
>do this until baseline is achieved
This made me add 1 primary stat and 1 secondary stat as well as rework the way damage and blocking was applied; abilities still the same tho.
>create items and add them into the mix
>create tiles, events, more enemies, first boss

Playthroughs have been fantastic at creating a way for the game to scale at player progression AND number of players. God damn the way all the mechanics glide together is perfect.

Literally about to start making stick figure tier drawings for everything else because I'd rather the game function well than look pretty at this point.

Good luck, user.