Why aren't the Libertines today as talked about at the Strokes? Also post-punk revival thread

Why aren't the Libertines today as talked about at the Strokes? Also post-punk revival thread

Because they weren't that good

how so? :^(

because they're fucking shit, they're a bunch of drunk kids that somehow accidentally got a record deal, all their songs sound the same and watching them play live is an utter embarrassment

Doherty's crack addiction tore the band apart as they were about to hit it """big""" media focus was mainly on him and his addiction, by the time he sobered up people had just lost interest in the band. I was suprised to find out they had got back together fairly recently.

Dont look back into the sun is decent tho tbf

Because nobody can stand them now

this

fave bands when i was 12

They weren't very popular outside bongland

Because The Strokes made a genuine 10/10 album and were cool as fuck. The Liberties appealed mainly to preening Shoreditch twats and only gained media notoriety once Doherty was shagging Kate Moss. They had a couple of decent tunes to jump around to at Indie club nights circa 2003. Nothing in the same league as anything on Is This It?

True Story: I once had a fight with Pete Doherty in a bar in Birmingham on the same night he was arrested for stealing a car with his skaghead mates. Oh how I miss the INDIEEE! boom of 2005-2006....not

I'M AN INDIEEEEEE XD

>The Strokes made a genuine 10/10 album

not meming, which one is that?

They only have one good album, so I assume he's talking about Is This It.

2003 NME Core:

>Plebian: The Libertines

> Contrarian: The Hives

> Patrician: The Strokes

angles is better kys :)

underrated

What happened lad?

I lived in Shoreditch once, it was awful.

Up The Bracket is a solid album, it's the second one which was full of filler probably due to the band imploding around the same time.
That said, some of the early demos like Smashing are well worth checking out before they became a british strokes

actually it's more like
>plebian: the strokes
>contrarian: the libertines
>patrician: also the strokes

on what fucking dimension of contrarian do you have to be operating to believe this?

The Libertines had exactly one sound, which was a poor imitation of the Clash. Doherty can't sing and neither of them had a lot of songwriting or musical ability. The live shows were entertaining enough, but as always, once the frontman becomes a drugged up mess, it starts to fall apart. They couldn't live up to their own hype, and thankfully the whole Garage Rock Revival dissipated shortly thereafter. No one talks about Franz Ferdinand anymore, and they were arguably bigger and better than the Libertines.
How the Strokes have remained somewhat popular is beyond me.

Franz Ferdinand's first two albums were great.

Indeed they were. Are they still going?

I was just reading about it. Apparently, they've released an album with Sparks called 'FFS'.

I'm not sure if the title is ironic or not.

It was after a Babyshambles gig which I didn't attend I just happened to be in the bar on what I thought would be a quiet Monday night drink with a mate. He was being a cock and seeking attention (as was always the case with Pete) stood on a pool table with his acoustic and murdering "Whatever" by Oasis in his unmistakable shitty mockney voice. Surrounded by his usual mob of skaggy sycophants (mainly whores) he pushed past me afterwards whilst I was at the bar and caught the back of my head with his guitar. Me not being his biggest fan I told him to watch it. Immediately some long haired, leather jacketed, stereotypical mid-2000s Indie Chad leaped to his defence and gave me a load of abuse and Doherty just sort of started stroking my chin and babbling nonsense about fucking Albion (you couldn't make it up). I lashed out and a few blows were exchanged, mainly with his long haired mate. To be honest, I didn't stand a chance the amount of fans he had in there with him but I came out relatively unscathed after a fairly lengthy dust up and whores trying to scratch my eyes out.

He was then outside the bar for another 20 minutes or so "busking" whilst his small army of thick Brummie fans hung out of his arse (I'm a Brummie myself btw, this town has always been full of useless cunts 5 years behind London and desperately trying to be cool Camden kids but failing miserably)

Later that night, him and some of his cohorts got nicked for trying to rob someones car in town. It was in the press at the time. As far as I remember, he got away with it.

True story, I've told it here a few times but people rarely believe it. Not sure why, its hardly a claim to fame.

Regardless of his behaviour, I always found him hugely overrated and the Libs had a handful of decent tunes.

They wrote the occasional decent song in the style of a band and all their equipment falling out of the back of a transit van. There are some good tracks on Doherty's first solo album 'Down In Albion'

Doherty is a nasty little cunt who has left a trail of death in his wake. He literally swerved around the body of the actor Marc Blanco who had 'fallen' from the balcony of a flat where the Libertine frontman had been partying moments earlier. Foul play is suspected. Doherty may not have been directly involved, but I imagine that he knows more than he is telling.

He returned to the site of Blanco's death a few month later to record a video for the single 'The Lost Art of Murder'.

Wow m8

Yeah i remember that whole landfill era of indie, seems the nme hype they lived off eventually killed them off as people got fed up of the pete/carl drama (which seems quite manufactured looking back)

As i said up thread i think up the bracket stands up but they deserved the legacy afterwards when their discography amounted to two albums and a handful of demos