ITT: we list overrated and underrated bands/singers

ITT: we list overrated and underrated bands/singers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c7u_NB7T89Y
youtube.com/watch?v=wEBlaMOmKV4
youtube.com/watch?v=rKV4UD0GQeE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>filename
>bLOGspot

Overrated:
No Doubt (Gwen can't sing worth a fuck)
Nirvana (Kurt just mumbled and then screamed; they were mainly famous for not wearing clean clothes)
The Beatles (People remember the great parts of their massive catalog and gloss over the shit)
The Who (See Beatles)
Linkin Park (Screaming mallcore for angsty, suburban teenage faggots)
Limp Bizkit (See Linkin Park)
Korn (More of the same)
U2 (The Edge has one riff that he recycles for every song; horribly weak rhythm section; Bono is indecipherable on the early albums)
Sam Cooke (Memorable songs but overrated talent; his voice just wasn't that great)
REM (This is why minorities make fun of white people's musical taste)
Dave Matthews Band (See REM)

Underrated:
The Kinks (By far the most talented band to come out of the British invasion)
Styx (One of the only bands to come out of the late 70s/early 80s that wasn't complete shit)
Echo & The Bunnymen (See Styx)
The Cranberries (A band with a female singer who can actually sing! Glory be)
David Bowie (Never content to coast on past glory; constantly challenged and reinvented himself)
Stevie Wonder (Can't read because he's black but still a great voice)
Floater (Brilliant experimental rock band most people outside of the pacific northwest have never heard of)

Those are just some famous examples. I could go on.

I've never heard this faggot sing but I assume he absolutely sucks based solely on how cancerous the forced log of shit meme is. Is that unfair?

The Beatles were gods on Earth, the Beethovens and Mozarts of our time - we were fortunate to be on the Earth the same time as they were

I disagree. They had maybe ten memorable songs and that's probably being a bit generous. Their music just doesn't stand the test of time. No, I'm not an edgy little nineteen year old faggot who listens to random bullshit. I'm an oldfag who knows his classic rock better than most.

Paul was creatively weak. John carried the band but even he wrote a lot of forgettable bubblegum fluff songs.

Overrated: Pearl Jam
Underrated: Creedence Clearwater Revival

aw yee.

>David Bowie
3 good albums tops.
couldn't invent himself for shit after the mid eighties.

Credence isn’t underrated.
They were just John Fogerty’s original backing band.

>3 good songs tops

ftfy

Overrated: Skynyrd
Underrated: Black Oak Arkansas

That’s because he ran out of Lou Reed and Iggy Pop songs to steal.

>couldn't invent himself for shit after the mid eighties.
Earthling came out in 1997 and sounded absolutely nothing like any Bowie album recorded previously. It was a critical hit and even earned him a Grammy nomination (not that I think much of those, but clearly I'm not alone in thinking it's one of his greatest albums).

For real though, going to rag on the Beatles, but praise Styx and Stevie Wonder, who hasn't put out an album that didn't sound like Elevator Music since 1979?

Dominator, get!

Overrated: Hank Williams
Underrated: Hank Snow

Yes. Because it's not even to suggest that Styx is a better band than the Beatles, just that they don't get the full respect they deserve. On the other hand, some bands get more than enough respect. For instance, the Beatles.

Underrated: Oasis
Mostly because people can’t get past the fact that they were led by assholes.

>Oasis
The conflict is irrelevant except that it rendered them merely a forerunner of Coldplay and contemporary of The Verve with little to distinguish their output.

John all the way, but calling Paul creatively weak is hilarious. The Beatles were Paul's band after Revolver, no serious Beatles historian debates this, and that is when their most celebrated stuff, traditionally speaking, is from. John has literally three contributions on Abbey Road: one of those three is a rip off of a Chuck Berry song, the other two are minute and a half, throw-away songs, as much as I might like that.

Also, ten songs, out of a catalog of around 220 original songs sounds a bit of a stretch. Let's see

She Loves You
All My Loving
I Want to Hold Your Hand
A Hard Day's Night
Ticket to Ride
Help
Yesterday
Day Tripper
Eleanor Rigby
Strawberry Fields Forever

that only gets us to 1967, and I was very generous with the tunes I left out.

Regardless, these are all just opinions. Nice to discuss something other then Pepe or dubs on here

>who hasn't put out an album that didn't sound like Elevator Music since 1979?
Nobody has put out an album that didn't sound like elevator music since 1979. Especially compared to Living for the City.

Seconded

>Edge lord found

Underrated : Justin beiber.

Stop the hate, he sings much better than you do, admit it

Yeah, edge lords love soul music.

Hmmm, I see what you mean.

I just can't get past the corniness of styx. Like, Mr. Roboto, man. I know there were a lot of other albums and even singles, but I'll be damned if I can't get that image out of my head

No, but people who insist that no one has released music that didn't sound like Muzak since 1979 are. Echo and the Bunnyman, XTC, Guided by Voices, Radiohead. None of these groups sound anything remotely as corporate as the stuff Stevie put out after Songs in the Key of Life.

Good choice with Living for the City though, jamming tune

What's the Story (orningglory) was one of my favorite albums growing up and one of the few I still can listen to and enjoy.
>God, how could I have ever liked Weezer?

Overrated:
Sublime

Underrated:

Blue album is actually still pretty good.

Everything else

not so much

some of you fags talk about the 80's and 70's like you actually lived it. How old are you faggots?

Die you fucking shitbird.

311 is tripe.

Sublime is overrated but your opinion is disqualified anyway

I think the Rolling Stones are not only overrated but also one of the most overrated bands ever and their popularity was do much more to their personalities than music.

I agree.

Sublime is one of those bands that's just the epitome of white trash in musical form. They also sound like a million other shitty ska influenced mallcore bands. The problem with Sublime is that it was a bunch of hacks playing their instruments badly and calling themselves a band. I give Rome credit for being a half decent singer, but he's not really anything special. Bradley was just another junkie who thought he could sing.

311 is a serious rock band. Chad Sexton is easily one of the greatest drummers of the past 30 years. Tim Mahoney shits all over any guitarist from Sublime.

They weren’t overrated for roughly two years. Ever since then they’ve been coasting, and even they admit it. Charlie Watts’ famous quote of “working five years, 20 years hanging around” comes to mind here
But that said, the sound of them coasting is still pretty fucking good.

this thread would be interesting if we didn't say which we thought each band we posted was.

>thinks musical wankery is annacceptable replacement for songwriting
This is why you fail.

to start, i will post metallica. that is all.

Obviously you think they're overrated because no one thinks they're underrated.

Ok then

nuh uh, i could be a retarded, fat, atheist, snot-nosed loser who lives in my mom's basement! you don't know!

Overrated = Stop liking things I don't

echo and the bunnymen!!!!!!!!!!!!

Underrated.
There, I said it.

Roxy Music

Not really. Radiohead is one of my favorite bands. I also think they're a little overrated for what they are. They get a little too much credit for turning their backs on what made them successful and at this point, they could release an album of them farting into microphones for 30 minutes and still be hailed as musical geniuses light years ahead of their time. I like them anyway.

I think the breeders and pixies are underrated, no one ever listens to like any of their shit other than cannonball and the weird pop stuff from the pixies like where is my mind

Overrated means something isn't worthy of the praise it receives. Who the fuck are you to dictate how much someone is allowed to enjoy something or think it's great? If you don't like something that others do, it just means you're not experiencing it the same way as they are. You're better off just saying, "I hate this stupid shit," and give your reasons why, instead of dictating the tastes of others.

Overrated:
The Clash

Underrated:
Judas Priest

feels good, doesn't it?

>Overrated means something isn't worthy of the praise it receives.
Yes, that's more or less exactly what I typed. How did you manage to miss my point completely? Are you under 18 or just possessed of a two digit IQ?

>Who the fuck are you to dictate how much someone is allowed to enjoy something or think it's great?
I've forgotten more about music than you're ever likely to learn, little boy.

>If you don't like something that others do, it just means you're not experiencing it the same way as they are.
Again, you missed my point completely. I can (and do) like several bands that I still realize are overrated. Radiohead is a good band. They're hardly the greatest band of all time, or reinventing the wheel. They're a good band that makes decent music. They also peaked creatively almost 20 years ago.

>You're better off just saying, "I hate this stupid shit," and give your reasons why, instead of dictating the tastes of others.
But I don't hate the bands I think of as being overrated. How did has this not gotten through that thick skull of yours?

I do love telling lies.

>He mad

it's ok, man. he's either an idiot or a troll, in either case you're wasting your time.

Same faggot. Love how you lower cased all the letters in your second post in some lame attempt to hide it.

Don't forget to show us how well your MS Paint is working with an edited screenshot to prove you're not same fagging!

No, not samefagging. Why would I need to samefag when you're the one who embarrassed himself by not reading the post he was responding to?

Wait, did you just delete your post out of shame? Usually people don't realize how fucking stupid they are when they start randomly accusing people of samefagging after losing a debate. You might be the first.

Pro-tip: tag the post you're responding to, dumbass, so we know who you're talking to.

>Sam Cooke, his voice just wasn't that great

wat

>MS Paint
Yup. Called it.

The Beach Boys

I did do that but then the post mysteriously disappeared. Probably because someone was too stupid to use the full sized image instead of the thumbnail the first time around.

well played, sir. well played.

>Samefagging your own posts accusing others of samefagging

The Pretty Things, extremely underrated. S.F. Sorrow is the ultimate psychedelic rock album

This easy to fuck up your night, huh? I can hear you screaming in frustration behind your computer.

If by screaming in frustration, you mean browsing three other threads, then sure. Thanks for keeping this one bumped for me. Someone with more brain cells than you may eventually contribute something worth responding to.

>may eventually contribute something worth responding to
Which is why you've responded to me this entire time.

Dear god. You are REALLY bad at this.

jfc, just kiss and get it over with you two

Seriously third-degree awesome, sir.

>you've responded to me this entire time.
And you're here responding to me, silly beans. Your point being?

What, did you think you were using Sup Forums in some novel way, thereby granting you superiority over the plebs who post like commoners? You're trolling (or at least, trying to) in a sea of trolls. But you're also being trolled. You're hanging on my every word. You can't look away. You can pretend to be the instigator of this argument over minutiae, but you're its slave. I have enormous power over you because you have given me this power over you. In attempting to elicit a profound emotional response from me, you've wound yourself up into a frenzy.

>Dear god. You are REALLY bad at this.
Who are you talking to at this point, me or yourself?

They killed at the Hollywood Bowl in the early 70's...

rolly polly

This is the best thing you ever listened, also. is ARGIE.

youtube.com/watch?v=c7u_NB7T89Y

>wat
Srs. He was an okay singer and a lot of his songs are really memorable. But contrast his rendition of A Change is Gonna Come with Seal's cover years later. Seal basically left him for dead.

youtube.com/watch?v=wEBlaMOmKV4

youtube.com/watch?v=rKV4UD0GQeE

People tell themselves Sam sang it better because that's the version they grew up with but Seal is just an objectively better singer. His voice is richer. He has better range. And amazingly, he manages to intone the lyrics with far more soul than the man who wrote it. Quite a feat.

Cooke was a good singer, and a very memorable and influential singer to boot, but there's a difference between Cooke and a truly great singer.