My girlfriend's organisation was presented with a email that was telling them that they had to change their name...

My girlfriend's organisation was presented with a email that was telling them that they had to change their name because they had a trademark on the name. They put a copyright symbol by their name but I know that you cant copyright a name. They say their a non-for-profit so I looked up their registration and it was not registered. I was wondering if anyone here knew if they are legitamate or if they just suck.

Try to register it before they do then reply with proof of registration. Ignore any further mails and lawyer up.

its just a student organisation so they dont have the means to register it or get a lawyer

Lawfag here.

The following isn't legal advice. The only legal advice I would give her is to seek council. That being said.

There are two possibilities.
1: You have a infingment troll on your hands.
2: They are registered under said name and the letter is proper.

You can search registered trade names for validity.

In that case they should let this non profit use this name since your gf's org is worthless anyway

Get in touch with the legal department of your university, they should be able to help. Or you could go on a legal forum and ask for help. I am not sure a student association is such a big deal when it comes to "confusion" unless you're on the same campus.

You should post some naked pictures of your girlfriend.

I already searched for their mark and they dont have it listed.

Spread your girlfriends butthole open properly and upload the results here. It will solve the situation entirely.

While the case would likely fail , it does not stop the litigation of suits like these because they know then can drain the defendant with legal costs.

Where did you lool?

I searched the tess database

Notify legal on campus asap. They won't come at the student group, they will sue the deep pockets of the school. Your girlfriend's group is probably (most student orginazition are) responsible for notifying the university concerning pending litigation connected their actions.

Have you tried posting her tits on here?

I really think he needs to post his girlfriends nipples and sweaty asshole on this image board for the best possible results in this situation. That's only my opinion though. What do you think?

Ive told her to take that step before going anywhere with it, but I was wondering if anyone wanted to look into if they can do anything. Thanks for the replys.

They are a poor student group man, they can do nothing other than notify campus, and do what their legal department tell them.

I pretty much assumed as much, and the org that is requesting the change is a highschool org so they really dont have any power.

Most copyrights do not apply to education. Is it a private University or a community college? If private, they have a real case. If government funded, they don't. Simple as that.

Or you could simply tell them to have you served with a cease and desist order or fuck off. (Nicely of course)

Highschools have more legal precedent than private schools as they are government institutions.

She is at a state uni, Is the email enough of a cease and desist order?

Where are you and the gf’s group located?

The group she is in is in syracuse NY and the group that has contacted them is in North Carolina.

Have her change the name slightly -the (university name) Student Environmental Education Coalition of New York
Problem solved.

Well thank you all for input, I am out of here now

You can do this or you can request from the emailer proof of when their group was formed into a 501(c)(3) group, and if it was after your gf formed her group, with proof mind you, you can send certified documentation through university’s legal team showing her group was formed first and any aggressive attempts at trademark litigation will be fought in court.