Ask anything to a veteran swordsman. I've been fencing for 12 years now, feel free to ask me anything, I'm just bored

Ask anything to a veteran swordsman. I've been fencing for 12 years now, feel free to ask me anything, I'm just bored.

Other urls found in this thread:

delivery.com/share?code=meb24
youtube.com/watch?v=HHnL5KD9RYE&t=1s
youtu.be/HHnL5KD9RYE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

how does it feel to have wasted your time for 12 years?

What’s the longest fence you ever built?

Best non-sword sword I can grab ad-hoc in case ninjas break into my house?

I didnt waste it. In my country if you are considereded an elite athlete, you can study whatever you want +scholarships and a lot of stuff, and so am I.

nice dubs, but you know the rules about pretending to be retarded

Is it hard to find sparring partners who aren't on the spectrum? I'd like to take up fencing for the exercise, but I'm loathe to hang out with sperglords.

just stab them they dont care

fuck off

it depends on your previous skills, but a broken long pipe is a really good and useful option
nice dubs. It isnt really hard, in my gym (the college's one) there are some sperglords, of course, but there are also quite a lot of Chads

no you kys retard.

How does it feel to know that your years of training can be defeated by a child with a gun?

I find your use of the term "veteran" unfortunate.
Fencing is to swordfighting as laser tag is to ground combat.
Would you agree?

What's the deal with swiss sabers?

kek

well, I dont practice for defending myself, I just do it because I like it, so I dont care.
I've also been swordfighting for 8 years, overall rapier and longsword, but I agree with you

Poking each other with a stick equals elite athlete? Top kek.

what country would that be?

What anime or manga inspired the purchase of your first ornamental weapon?

thank god. I was about to rip you a new one with a blunted epee. but you're ok for an asocial Sup Forums fucktard.

I really like them, well balanced, fast AF and cool, but the cons are: no double edge and no side-ringed guard

How does your fencing help you combat a nigger with a gun?

Do you think its okay to fence and also be gay?

Its harder than that, and you know it.
Its in Europe, that should be enough
havent any ornamental weapon, and I dont like anime/manga

There are very few niggers in my country (in my part of my country, at least) and fewer have guns, so no idea
nice dubs. And I dont know, its okay, I guess...

What country are you from and what is your ethnicity?

>in Europe
>few niggers
Give it a couple of years mate

Have you ever “accidentally” taken a sword up the ass?

what about a sand nigger with a bomb?

Spain, but inb4 beaner/moor/anything take a look at a map, full north-west, on top of portugal. There. No niggers, few moors, just some gypsies. Im white.
I know, man
nope. Are you really this bored?

what about a nuke
kys dude

okay, I dont do this for defending myself, I do it to stay fit and for fun

What specific weapon do you favor and why?

Also, where did you learn your skills? (Not "who", but "where" as in what school/dojo, etc).

Asking the real questions

THANK YOU!

Rapier. You can thrust, and cut, fast as fuck, really good guard, you have a free hand for punching, grabbing, using a dagger or whatever. Has a lot to do with my country's history and they are beautiful, just lovely.
I learnt everything at my campus' gym, just started young and got interested quickly
Already answered to that

please, people, if you dont care just keep scrolling, but dont waste my time

That would be my thinking as well vis-à-vis favoring something like a rapier. Answer me, if you will, how you'd handle this scenario:

>Be you, with rapier, in close-quarters (let's call it a hallway, no more than 1m wide)
>Opponent either has heavier weapon, like a claymore or mace, that uses greater mass to inflict more damage, or longer-reaching weapon, like a spear or halberd, to poke forward at you beyond your reach.

How would you try to handle that scenario?

So you’re saying that you took it up the ass deliberately?

>teleports behind you
Pshhh.... Nothin personnel kid....

Big sword in tight hallway=short spear or you have to choke up so far on blade as to have really poor and slow shortsword, be wary of their backup blade and sword quillions/pomel

trap longer blade against wall, close in finish w main gauche/dagger.

spear

once past spear head/tines all they have is a staff, close and as above.

not OP btw

If its a claymore/mace I'd faint, wait for them to attack and thrust (look for fencing thrusting, its range is really surprising), if it doesnt work, repeat.
If its a spear/halberd, I'd pray, wait for them to make a move, block their weapon with my rapier against the wall, and make a fleche attack, or use my dagger (assuming I have one)
I'm a real 40k fan, I have a Blood Angels army

OP here, dis dude is smart

kek

competitive HEMA rapier&dagger here

Interesting answers, thank you!

To 750506063's answer about the spear: your answer failed to address the fact that they will probably outrange you, and with their solid grip on the shaft they can very quickly poke at you before you could trap their weapon against a wall or floor using your lightweight rapier. I get once you're *past* the spearhead, but getting to that point reliably when your life depends on it?

I like that 750506105's answer appears to acknowledge this fact; so it simply sounds a lot like a spear in this setting would really just be a shitty weapon to face off against with a rapier, yes?

Your country of The Shire?

Spain

>could you beat this guy

I didnt get competitive on Hema, but I do rapier and dagger, I'm competitive just in regular fencing.
Well, the spear is designed to be used in battles, not in duels, but rapier is, so I guess the spear is a worse choose for a duel, and I dont know if I would be able to make it, but I'd try, depends on the other guy's skill

not sure, he sure looks like a badass... kek

Scary thing it's a real book

In your opinion, how much more superior are katanas than European swords?

How many European swordsman would it take to beat someone trained in one of the far superior Asian martial arts?

Foil, Epee, or saber?
Pistol or French?

OR actually something interesting like HEMA

-3. Katanas are designed to murder peasants, and I think 3 samurais would beat an average alcoholic european soldier
pistol epee and saber, but also HEMA
that is fucked up, man

I'm thinking of getting into HEMA, there is a group that meats not too far from me every week. I just have not gotten around to scoping it out yet.

I fenced a little years ago, but could not get into it. I wanted to lean sword fighting, not a sport.

good luck with that user, go ahead and talk to them, they will surely be really glad of sharing their knowledge with you, post your discord if you want to discuss it in depth

>faint
feint*

faint: To briefly lose consciousness (as in "to faint") or very weak (as in a faint smell).

feint: a deceptive or pretended blow, thrust, or other movement, especially in boxing or fencing.

sorry, english is not my first language

HowToSplitYourTongueInTwo.jpg

Not like it was sharp in the first place, wall hanger swords are not worth existing.

people who buy them are no worth existing lol

Thanks for the offer. I've been around the youtube hema crowd enough to get the general idea of how to get started... Just about finding the time and deciding if it's worth spending some money on entry level gear. Juggling hobbies as always, like right now I'm going to get my motorcycle endorsement, so I may end up buy a motorcycle.

Maybe I should sell some of my sharp swords/knives... but I can't let go of them, in place of a good feder

You're a driven man, Saltzpyre.

Are you with the guild? can you fence my stolen goods?

if you are interested in selling them Im interested in buying some

Get $10 off orders of $15+ that's a 5 dollar meal.

delivery.com/share?code=meb24

kek

How accurate is this to your life?
youtube.com/watch?v=HHnL5KD9RYE&t=1s

Im 28, overweight, consume a bottle of coke a day and Im starting now. The 2-3 hours of training are killing me, but im determined to get better.

what do you recommend me to do?

1/10

check those dubs,and mainly, no matter what, dont quit, read about it, invest money on it, work for it, but no matter what, dont quit

So me and a friend of mind do sword battle from time to time with wooden weapons; we're building a shield and we will reinforce weapons with leather or rope to make them suffer less (not us lel). Any tips or advice?

youtu.be/HHnL5KD9RYE

im already buying the equipment, clothes with 800N, mask with 1600N and a sword of maraging steel.

I want to continue fencing but i fear my knees wont hold out much time. Can I wear something that protects my knees from the overweight?

Also, Im from spain but living in germany. I had a flatmate from galicia once.

watch the maintenance of your equipment, it is important, get ASAP face protection and gloves, the other protection is less important and keep practicing, if you really enjoy it start having lessons and buy real equipment

Yeah I'll let you know if I ever do, but nothing solid yet, the vast majority of my "collection" is folding knives, only a hand full of swords.

I'll get you on discord

oh my gawd
are you a hemophiliac? you sound like a hapsburg descendent. if thread was more effete, it would be wearing a lace gown and baking petit fours.

okay, paisano, your knees will hold, dont worry about that, just avoid squatting, in 2-3 months you will be /fit/ if you are really working for it
okay, my discord is [Warrior*Elite]Tonyyerbajo #0939
Im not, man,please quit that shit

that's a nice sword. it looks like they make decent stuff for the money they ask.

as an aspiring bladesmith, if you could make your own sword and could mix and match pieces and parts from different periods of time, what would you have made?

>How many European swordsman would it take to beat someone trained in one of the far superior Asian martial arts?

apples to oranges.

the katana is a fast chopper for battle against light armor or no armor. it's meant to be fast, light on it's feet, and is very fragile when struck against a target it fails to cut.

the european swordsmans has many different classes. i'm narrow it down to 3.

the fencer, having a faster lighter sword may out skill the japanese opponent. a highly skilled samurai may be able to cut a lighter sword, but it would be a high risk maneuver. and samurai with enough sword skill to match a fencer would have to be a rare thing indeed.

the eurpoean metal armored 2 handed sword weilding tank... katana wouldn't do much to hurt that.

the average one handed sword unarmored infantry man? samurai would win.

katana's are made of garbage and dirt metal. that's why they're so beautiful. the amount of effort that has to go into making one has created such an artistic and romantic lore about those swords that you can't help but respect the swordsmiths that were able to create them in their periods.

sure i will stop when you stop calling yourself
>Warrior*Elite

thanks forr your tips.

what do you think about medieval combat where people in armor hit themselves with real swords and maces?

okay, man you know the deal.
>Aspiring bladesmith
please add me on discord, I want to discuss something with you

I play vidya, whats wrong with that?
swords-- okay, if they are blunt and of training here is no problem
maces-- maces are designed to crush throught armor, it might be dangerous, but its cool

you could check it out. on youtube its called medieval combat world championship or something like that. its crazy

I know, I just dont see the point, there are sure beautiful plays, but mostly I see MMA with armour and sticks

kek.
i don't even know what discord is.

but if you're going to ask me if i'll make something for you... it'll be quite a while before i'm good enough for that.

i've just never talked to someone that has real experience swinging these against an opponent. i was only curious to know what you thought was the best combination of parts.

I was asking to buy a weapon, lol.
>best combination of parts
it depends, which weapon are we talking about?

I also want to get into smithing, but I dont know how, any tips?

Okay that is sent

That's a hard question... it would probably end up being something like pic related honestly. I like the longsword, mostly two handed, size. But I also like complex guards.

Aesthetically I really like straight double edged blades with complex fullers, but a swept blade, like a messer that still can stab is cool too.

I've considered buying this sword for a while, but I think my next sword maybe a Zombie Tools d'Capitan, because it's just awesome.

I wouldnt buy that zombietools bullshit if I were you...
If I could make any weapon I'd jus make a reaaaly light rapier, i have very little imagination lol

>I also want to get into smithing, but I dont know how, any tips?
nothing teaches you more than experience.

a few fire bricks, a propane torch, a 2-3 pound cross peen hammer and any flat piece of steel to use as an anvil will give you more than enough to go beat hot metal.

there are plenty of ways to get started with very little equipment or money. jsut do it.

Can you put batteries in the hilt and use it as a vibrator?

Yeah I'm very skeptical of just about anything "Zombie", normally it's shit... But my one exception is ZT.

They are exceptionally durable from just about every honest review I can find, and the handling is not great but not horrible, and there prices are pretty good. The only real negatives I hear is about the edge thickness, and that's not an issue for me, I'm very good at reprofiling
and sharpening.
I love the look of it, and more so I want a sword I can dick around with and not worry too much about damaging.

please, elaborate, I really want to start
never tried. no regrets

on a wall hanger, yes.

on a real sword though, the sword goes through the handle as large as the handle will allow.

i guess you could dildo with it... but the leather or wood though would probably get pretty funky.

then go ahead, just a quick question, is it a single piece or several pieces?

yeah we both almost lost an eyes and usually get our hands reck, so we already figured this out. What do you mean by watchinh the maintenance? can you be more precise? we only have wooden weapons, steel is not for soon

Loser

The tang, blade, and guard, are all one piece of 5160 mono tempered spring steel. It's good stuff, I have a Katana and a few larger knives made of it.

The handle is two aluminum scales that are held on with pins through the tang, like a messer. And then wrapped with leather.

The sheath is form fit Kydex, very common stuff in the mid/higher end fixed blade market.

It's a solid build.

>maintenance
take care about all your stuff, clean it after you use it (even if it is wood) and make alll the reparations you can
faggot
go ahead then