First two jars are contaminated with green mold out of 17 total...

First two jars are contaminated with green mold out of 17 total. What are the chances that my other jars will be contaminated?
I did 2 strains, and the two jars that were contaminated were from the same syringe. I flame sterilized after every 3 jars and dunked in alcohol.

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.420chan.org/psy/
boards.Sup
youtube.com/watch?v=X_H_mJYKNsQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The two jars that were contaminated were with strain 'Nepal Chitwan'. Other strain is Ecuador which seems to be doing fine.

What the fuck am I looking at?

What exactly am I looking at?

You could try cutting around the moldy parts....though I'm a sketchy man so that's just me
Weed I think

Jars containing BRF and Vermiculite that have been inoculated with mushroom spores.
The white stuff is Mycelium, the green is mold. Mycelium is what produces mushrooms.

it's mushies. gtfo plebs

Chances depends on your jar sterilization process. Wrongness gets everywhere,.

I could, but it would risk me contaminating my work area with mold spores and fucking everything up.
Easier to buy new jars than clean them with bleach.

I had sprayed my work area with loads of Lysol after wiping down with ever clear (found 70% iso is better afterwards), wearing a mask and gloves that were rinsed with alcohol. All that after a shower, and dunking the needle in alcohol after each jar, and flame sterilizing after every 3.
My biggest fuck up was letting the PC run out of water ruining my dry verm layer.
Going to try Polyfil/Easyfelt next time.

Honest question, do you get fucked up off of this stuff? What is it for?

You do when the Mycelium runs out of food to eat and panics, which triggers the next stage, which is fruiting of mushrooms.

I guess Sup Forums isn't exactly the best place to ask questions regarding Mushrooms. Just curious of that mold will travel from jar to jar considering their in a tight space in my incubator.

chuck it

Already done.

I guess I would keep the moldy ones separate as the spores may travel through air

have you considered asking 420chan, specifically the psychadelics board?

boards.420chan.org/psy/

No good in a keeping a moldy jar. The mold is more aggressive than the P. cubensis spores, so they'll take over the jar quicker than the mushies will.
Nah, not too worried. I just wanted a quick response while I was browsing Sup Forums.
Just waiting for my thread to die now, haha.

guy in this boards.Sup Forums.org/b/thread/750509066#lr750526409
grows shrooms ask him if he's still there

You really should be working in clean room conditions. You can construct something like a homemade chemist's hood just using plexiglass, plastic veneer, duct tape, and rubber gloves. Use a shop vac to eliminate dust, sterilize the interior after each use, and handle everything inside using the rubber gloves inserted through holes and duct-taped in place.

Your pasteurizatuin method is flawed if you have trichoderma (green mold). The mold will not travel between jars, but if you had 2 jars fruit trich, you likely have contams in the other jars, wether they show or not.

Keep trying! Perfect your sterile technique! If you can't create sterile spawn, you can't progress to further mastery.

Did you pre-soak your grain? Did you reach 15psi? Did you hold at 15 for at least 45 minutes? Was your grain properly hydrated? How did your grain look before you inoculated with your spores? Were your spores from a reputable vendor?

You can answer the last question by shooting any other syringes you have onto agar plates and seeing what pops up. Everything else, you should be able to answer through trail and error.

Good luck, friend.

Do the opposite, you're creating an unchecked environment, if you wipe out everything then you clear the playing field. This is hard to explain I did this with tomatoes, you add complexity to the system to cut off the contamination of shit species.

Not interested in making a glove box. I'm fine with doing open air inoculations. I sprayed and wiped down everything. First wiped down the walls and counter and everything with 180 proof alcohol. Then sprayed the entire place down with lysol, then waited 20-30 minutes. Take a shower, put on gloves, rinse gloves off with iso alcohol, then put on a bacterial mask. I clean my incubator with alcohol, don't want to risk Lysol killing off my mushroom spores. I would flame sterilize after every 3 jars, and dip in alcohol after every jar.
As I've stated before, I fucked up with the pressure cooking by letting it run out of water. It boiled the water inside the jars, ruining the dry verm layer. I'm aware that it makes it more at risk of open air contaminants, but it can still pull through so long as I sterilize my environment.
I'm more worried about the mold spreading from a contaminated jar to an uncontaminated jar and spreading.
I still have one more syringe on the strain menace in case I fucked up for my first time. Next time I'll be using Polyfil/Easyfelt on my jars.

Tl;Dr I sprayed work area with Lysol and wiped down with alcohol & multi surface. Should be relatively fine, no?

I reached 15 PSI for an hour before running out of water ruining my dry verm layer. Not using grains, using BRF and vermiculite. My first few batches, I had used too much water. The later batches is more airy. I originally fucked up, but I thought I would go from watery, to middle, to dry to see what results I end up with instead of calling it a loss.
Reputable vendor, yes. They're sponsored on Shroomery and threw me a free syringe.
Haven't gotten into Agar yet; that's untouched territory for me.
What do you mean an unchecked environment?

You should read about the problems they have with HeLa cells. Even in absolutely sterile, infectious laboratory conditions, HeLa is notorious for escaping and contaminating everything. It doesn't matter how many precautions you take, you're fighting billions of years of evolution towards the singular goal of survival and propagation.

It doesn't sound common though. Should I really be worried? What would be warning signs of such growth and what would I need to do to prevent/get rid of it?

Unless you're a cancer researcher, you don't need to worry about HeLa cells. I just used them as an example of how even with the best, most expensive equipment and conditions as absolutely sterile as science can make them, you'll still find unwanted contamination. Meaning the procedures you're using aren't enough if you're unhappy with this percentage of contamination. You'll get contamination regardless, but the more sterile you can make it, the less you'll get. It will always be a non-zero amount, however.

Shit grows when it is has a completely free environment, like nuking the area back to zero. Problem is you clean it to value zero, then roll of the dice governs what grows. Mold, fungal species get checked by one another, they go into an arms race, if you wipe the slate completely clean then you won't have anything to combat the adverse species. I'm trying to think of the author how shows this growing fungus and other plants.

I'm not unhappy, maybe dissapointed, but I still have 15 jars yet. Hell, even if I'm left with 3 jars, I'll be happy if they fruit and I get something that will show that I was at least somewhat successful.
Besides, help me learn from my failures. I'm just wondering how many more jars I should expect to be contaminated. I labeled them in a way to show which batches specifically I fucked up on & which syringes caused it. In this case, batches 3 & 5. So any batches in between and after them I should be watchful of.
So far, only Nepal Chitwan syringe has caused mold.

One more question I suppose. Oust is discontinued, so I'm stuck with using just Lysol to kill of airborne contams. Is there anything they else I should be using to kill them than just Lysol? Lysol seems to just be alcohol that leaves a residue that stop bacteria build up.

Idk if anyone had said it. Bit this is exactly why you let the freshly cooked cakes sit for about 2 weeks before inoculation. Rushed it.

I have not read anywhere that has said that is necessary. I've read about letting the pressure cooker sit over night to cool off and then inoculating the next day, but never for two weeks.
Do you have a source for that? Everything I've read is off of Shroomery, and I've searched through numerous threads about everything.

He's growing mushrooms bro.

Saved that image, thanks friends.
Just going to point out one more thing.
The waiting two weeks things is probably to see if your sterilization was done correctly by letting it sit in normal incubating conditions to see if it grows mold before you inoculate so as to not waste your spores.
I'm not worried about wasting spores though, as they're cheap.
However, I did read about throwing a jar in without inoculating to see if it's syringes or jars that are contaminated.

protip: if you are sterilizing, boiling, decontaminating and all that shit you're doing it WRONG.

>coffee grounds 30%
>compost dirt from outside 70%
>a few large planters
>damp cellar

Just keep weeding whatever pops up that isn't your goal. Once you get your goal, let it thrive and reproduce naturally. Keep adding dirt+coffee mix as you harvest to replace nutrients and bulk.

Why not do it the sterile pseudo-scientific way? Because they're fucking mushrooms. They're supposed to grow and thrive "naturally". Once they do, you better believe they're going to fucking win over any organism that tries to take over. You will waste about as many overpriced spores as with the way you're trying to do it but the result will be a hardier and more constant supply of shrooms.

I would say a little over half will make it without being contaminated

this is fucked up bro

Lysol doesn't kill all types of mold spores, you want bleach for that.

molds are sapprophytes boss they thrive on alckyhall
learn that bacteria & yeasts molds and fungii are in different classes

I'm just doing the PF-Tek for my first time. So I'm just using Vermiculite & BRF. Not ready to get advanced with it and using manure or whatever such materials.
I did originally use bleach water to spray down everything before beginning. But I've only been using Ever clear & 70% ISO and Lysol to clean up after checking on them.
Which part?
>alkyhall
Chuckled.

kek

Dude I highly recommend using a box. Don't even have to do the whole glove box but it helps. I've had luck even just tilting the box and sliding my hands under it. Once you disinfect, still air is the goal. Plus after you clean your needle you'll still want to flame clean till its glowing red and the chill it with a quick blast of the syringe. But makes no difference if u got a tainted syringe in the first place. You make your own or ordered? But yeah toss them moldy ones and in fact toss them somewhere not your place. Once mold is in the air it's tough to clear out totally. I also had luck covering my holes air breathable tape; it's in the medical sections generally. Filters the air yet your jars can breath properly too. But really learn to do grains; jars are always a pain and seem to have issues more than grain bags.

Seems to me if you ran your pressure cooker dry, you need to invest in a cooker with a pressure guage. If you keep the pressure just at 15 psi you will NOT run out of water. On a side note, I've had great success with BRF cakes but I run into trouble when I am fruiting. I'm still working on that because I really want tub growth. However BRF cakes are so popular exactly because of the ease and resistance to contamination. I'm working on converting an old upright freezer with both humidity and temperature control (sensors available super cheap on ebay). I need to minimize the exposure to ambient air when fanning and misting.

I should also note too that you have to be careful not to put too much solution when you inject either. Drops are fine. If you squirt then you can fuck up the jar's moisture levels and that can cause mold as well.

I have a presto 23 quart pressure cooker with a gauge. I had just never used one before. I ended up making the bottom bulge and ruining it. Thankfully, Amazon replaced it for free. So I have a brand new one to use.
As for fruiting, I plan on making a shotgun fruiting chamber.
I bought my syringes from spore depot who threw in a free syringe. They're sponsored by Shroomery, so I trust them.
I doubled bagged the jars and threw them in the trash.
As I've previously said, I'll be doing Polyfil/Easyfelt on my jars next time so I don't have to worry about a dry verm layer or airborne contams.
I had trouble using the syringes on the wetter jars as the verm and brf would get stuck in the needle. So I would have to push extra harder and it would just shoot out a lot sometimes. Maybe that's why they got contaminated?

lysol bathroom disinfectant might help
the ingredient?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,shit I forget what that is,,it kills most molds trychophyton mentagrophytes, a lot of bacteria,,user ( I read here) put this diluted a bit on his back as having cleared up skin itchy red spots, where 30 items from pharmacy counters did nothing to help,fungii are the last thing drs consider when pt seen by them with itchy skin buttrash, scabby legs,out comes the prescrip for steroids,emollients creams,gloves,
the horses arses

also you might try a strong UV light

What.
What would this accomplish?
Forgot to thank you for your input, haha. You actually answered my question, so thanks.

nah brah, he needs a ozone generator and tyvek coveralls

>tyvek
I just take an extremely hot shower and work in my underwear bahahaha.

Ah man I bet you did. The jars were prolly too moist in the first place if you had difficulty injecting. Plus inject not into the verm but on the side of jar glass. This way you can see the few drops plus you can watch the ropes of the mycelium spread. Also you can catch bad jars quicker. But yeah direct in the jar substrate is not optimal. spore depot is reputable; never used them but I've heard stories in the past with contaminated syringes. But honestly nature of the hobby; vendors have the same perils we face as well.

I injected onto the side, not the middle. I could watch it coming out of the jar. I did this on all 4 sides. Batch 3 was already more on the wet side as well.

*syringe not jar.

Throw them out start over. Trust me, not worth saving.

Responding to myself; overall it sounds like just had a bad syringe now that I read over all the posts. It happens. My first attempt I lost over half my jars. I attribute to going too fast. Take your time since even moving your arms create hurricane winds for air contaminents, less is more with injecting and if you don't forget to spray the air as well before each inoculation you hurt your odds. I'd spray, stand still, watch Lysol particles fall. Let it settle, move slow rinse repeat. But not to be a broken record, once I moved to grains contaiminations were a moot point. The grain bags I think allow better air flow yet are filtered. Seems counter intuitive but air flow does help of its minimal.

Yeah I saw that once I looked closer at the pic. We are all guessing here since we didn't watch the process but from what you said to me about having to push a bit when inoculating means you inevitably shot more than just a few drops. Takes practice. Plus who knows, maybe the verm got stuck further up your needle. Ha welcome to the hobby so many variables but that's what makes the jackpot of your first flush feel so awesome. Good luck friend but toss them jars; don't even attempt to open them. Just toss and don't pass go.

I'm not trying to save the contaminated jar, they're already gone. Was asking how many more jars I should expect to be contaminated.
Still have 15 jars left.
Using Polyfil/Easyfelt will rid of airborne contaminations. Make two holes, one for FAE in the middle where you put a layer of Easyfelt over, and the other hole is the injection port. You put silicone over the injection port, then you can safely inoculate (still sterilizing the needle with flame & alcohol) without worrying about opened/free holes letting in airborne contams since the silicone reseals itself and you have a filter for the air.
And I don't make swift movements, lol, but the Lysol after each injection is smart. Didn't think to do that.
It might be a contaminated syringe as well, as it's only been the Nepal Chitwan strain. Only time will tell though. It's only been 7 days so far.

Yeah I tossed them. Easier to just buy new ones, haha.
Patience is something I definitely have. I knew contams would get in when I fucked up my dry verm layer, I just didn't know how much contamination I would get is all.
I appreciate your friendly input.

Build a still air box and spray lysol when innoculating, idiot. Serves you right.

Being an ass doesn't help anyone get better. Being more involved in the discussion of what I did wrong and learning from those mistakes does.
Go be a dick head Sup Forumstar somewhere else. Your input isn't needed.

What kind of growing medium are you using, dude?

Just a simple PF-Tek using Verm and BRF. Made the ol' incubator with an aquarium heater and two plastic bins.
I've followed multiple different guidesz from Roger Rabbitz to Shroomery guides to see the different setups that people do.

Aha, nice. I don't know shit about shroom growing sadly, didn't know it took this much of an effort to avoid mold

Well, you are growing them in the same conditions that mold grows in. Sterility & Patience is the key to success with this.
Mold isn't out to get anyone. It's not trying to be a dick. It's just looking for a place to colonize like every other bacteria. Unfortunately, they found my jars, sooo yeah.

I'm just fucking with you. Don't be such a pussy, pussy. Build yourself a plastic room out of plastic wrap. The best way to do this is find studs in the roof and attatch a 2X4 to the ceiling. Nail up your plastic wrap with roofing nails that have the plastic caps.
Clean with bleach. Spray inside with lysol before innoculation. So much that you have to wear gloves and a mask. Let the vapor dissipate. Then you can flame sterlize the needle on the syringe. Or use a spore print if you feel lucky. One you made yourself is better, as you can sterilize the piece of aluminum you use to make the print.

And get that sand in your va jay jay checked out.

Got about an oz from my last six jars

Pic related what's left

What did you case it with. I have coco on hand for reasons. But I've heard vermiculite is better. I've always used vermiculite.

You sense of humour differs from mine. Being rude and playing it off as joking and telling me to suck it up is kind of a dick move, but I'll just over look that and move on.
Regarding the plastic room set up, I have though about doing that, but it seems completely unnecessary. But I suppose it depends on the person and how much effort they're willing to go through to achieve complete sterility, I suppose.
I'm just working in a closet with no moving air. Setting up a bunch of plastic just to work in will be a pain to set up, just to have to take it down when I'm done and having to do this constantly.
So long as only a far few jars are contaminated, I'll stick to just doing open air. But everything goes to shitz then setting up all the plastic will be necessary. It depends on how far I'm willing to go.
What strain, and where did you get the original spores from?

OK, Sup Forums. I have Cambodian, Texas, Koh Samui, Tasmanian, Golden Teachers, and Africa Transeki. Which should I pop?

I go as far as wearing a new Tyvek suit when I do mine. I've had some nasty mold before. Especially for grain to grain a giant glovebox is best, lol

At what point am I unable to delete a thread??

Meaning the section you plastic wrapped off is one giant glove box now.

Never heard of the other strains besides golden teachers, but this is my first attempt at the mycology world. So I'm going to say Golden Teachers.
Have you tried the Menace strain?
If shit were really to hit the fan, like mold spores being released, I might do the same. But if I at least fruit one or two jars, I'm happy and will continue with open air.
Whose thread are you trying to delete there, friendo?

youtube.com/watch?v=X_H_mJYKNsQ

It's a good one kiddo. Is it a time thing or a certain number of posts?

vermiculite and brown rice flour

I believe there is an option scrap your own thread somewhere.
Time will kill it when new threads are started and bump your out of existence. Just have anyone post and it will die.

5 jars Mexican 1 jar b+

I use rye berries.

Ahh its only my 5 time growing I only grow once maybe twice a year

It might not be your process at all. Doesn't matter how sanitary everything is if youve got an infected spore syringe.

I once used a contaminated syringe on my only liquid culture

All this /thread and these things grow outside on a pile of shit without humans

amazing

It's a possibility. Only time will tell.
At this point, I'm questioning how often I should check on them knowing mold has already grown on 2.
Too much brings in more risk of contamination, but not risks spreading mold.

use same sterility rules as cell culture. look up sterile technique for cell culture/mold culture. doubt anything youve seen on here, reddit, erowid, bluelight, etc is proper technique. - OT

Its dead already, the thricoderm uses the substracts nitrogen to develop.

Clean your shit better bitch. And stop checking it all the time.

Will definitely check that out, thanks.
Is Shroomery at least reliable, since it's my main source of information.

Don't make assumptions. You look like an ass.