Why do people care so much about averaging a Triple-Double...

Why do people care so much about averaging a Triple-Double. I feel any top tier basketball player could do it at the expense of their team too. Can anyone honestly tell me that Lebron couldn't do it if he wanted too, or Draymond, Harden, etc.?

Russel Westbrook is an exceptional athlete. He's a top tier player.

The Thunder is awful. None of the other star players are on such a bad team. You can't average a triple double when there two other all stars on the team.

I consider it to be pretty impressive but I agree that LeBron James could do it too if he wanted or needed to. That doesn't make it not impressive though.

I wonder where all the other good players from the Thunder went.

>at the expense of his team
They have a like 95% win record when he gets a triple double. Also the team without him would barely win 20 games. What he's doing this year is insane, I have no idea how his body is holding up

I'm not saying it isn't impressive, I'm saying it isn't out of this world.

They're actually closer to 80%, but in this type of season where you have absolutely no chance of going deep in the playoffs, you gotta look towards the future. Because I got news for you, Westbrook is only going to get worse, his body will slow down, and he is going to need help.Eventually, he's going to need to learn how to play traditional point guard.

If Lebron is the only name you can come up with, doesn't that make the feat even more impressive? He is the best player in the league after all.

He's averaging more points per game than anyone since 93' Jordan with the exception of Durant a couple years ago. he's a top

#3 in assists, #7 in rebounds
#1 Box Plus/Minus

The only player impacting their team as much is arguably John Wall in terms of how much they personally cause the team to perform better than they would without him. Wall scores far less but makes up for it with the turn overs he causes, namely he's leading in steals and has far less turn overs.

Nothing Westbrook does is hurting his team, the assists he gets are due in large part to the attention he commands on defense, his shooting is good enough to not be able to sag off and the way he can explode to the rim and kick out is what collapses the defense and allows other players room to shoot, if he shot less - his team would actually likely score less. as proof that Russ is actually the highest rated player compared to their replacement while on the bench.

Rebounds are slightly inflated due to his bigs allowing him to grab un-contested rebounds but the new myth he allows open shots to chase rebounds is GREATLY exaggerated, he only sprints to the rim on shots I THINK he would be too late to close in on anyway

I feel the perception is he's amazing on his own and his team suffers, I actually think it's the opposite. He's just a top 5 guard on a bad team, Durant's success with the Warriors is completely irrelevant since the Warriors are actually losing more games then they did without him

Good post

tldr - public perception says he's carlton when the stats say he's will

Kobe averaged more. What Westbrook is doing is amazing but triple double vs no triple double, it really doesn't matter. How 20/10/10 is better than 20/18/8 will forever confuse me.

Westbrook isn't having a better year than MJ in his MVP/scoring title/DPOY/steals leader stint or LeBron's year in 08-09/12-13, or Wilts 50 point season. There's a couple other seasons I'd say are better, too. This is a top 10 all time season but not even top 5, I think Bron, MJ and Wilt make up the entire top 5.

>Can anyone honestly tell me that Lebron couldn't do it if he wanted too, or Draymond, Harden, etc.?
Yup. Otherwise they would have.

>I feel any top tier basketball player could do it at the expense of their team too.
How's he doing it at the expense of his team, exactly? His extra rebounds and assists are hurting the team? The only argument could really be that he takes too many shots, but taking fewer shots wouldn't hurt his chances of averaging a triple-double at all, in fact it would pad his assists even further. Besides that, there are no good scoring options on that entire team besides Westbrook, anyway.

you are objectively wrong, Enes Kanter and Steven adams were being praised as the next coming of christ last year in the playoffs.And 90% of people agreed they won the ibaka oladipo trade when it happened.

People only say westbrook has a bad team to make him seem better than he is, in reality his teammates have shitty stats because westbrooks insane usage.

>in reality his teammates have shitty stats because westbrooks insane usage.
Point me to a teammate whose stats have taken a huge dip this season compared to previous seasons because of Westbrook's usage.

oladpio

>oladpio
And where is the dip, exactly? His averages are all in line with previous seasons.

FG% reb ast and pts all down senpai. hes a young player too so his stats were going up until he went to a team with a stat pad babby.

FG% is at a career high, points and rebounds are nearly identical. The only noticeable drop is assists, but turnovers are way down too. You're looking for something that isn't there.

Oladipo was the westbrook of his team last season, of course his stats are going down

The dude's amazing, end of story

>at the expense of their team

there probably are some players who could do it at the expense of their team (prime Lance could have done it for sure), but the record bears out and the Thunder are drastically better when he is pulling down rebounds and starting quasi-fast breaks.

it's like having a big man that is a great outlet passer, except he is capable of attacking against an unsettled defense or firing a difficult outlet pass that most big men are not capable of.

it requires having unselfish big men that are willing to box out but it's strategically very sound if you have a player like Westbrook.

there are only two players in the NBA capable of averaging a triple double without hurting their team, and the other one is LeBron. I think Giannis may be there soon though.