So now that the dust has settled

Can we all agree that modern art is absolute and often time literal garbage?

youtube.com/watch?v=lNI07egoefc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/BJWq1FeGpCw
youtube.com/watch?v=bsfX6xqCBks
artstation.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because modern artists insist in excluding people from their art, art is meant to be something exclusive only to be understood by a small elite. And while basically it's just shit it allows a certain group of people to feel smart and elitist because they totally get all this meta stuff, which makes them pay shittonnes of money for the art

that's pomo art, not "modern" art.

learn the proper terminology.

You don't say?

>"Winter 2008"

To be fair if you stare at that black thing for a while you start seeing all kinds of paintings. Pretty cool.

What does the image say?

that's why hitler fought degenerate art and cultural bolshevism.

ah yes we should keep drawing realistic paintings of fucking hills
the fact is that so many of you don't know even about old art. you just are acting like you're cultured or something.

and good job linking the completly unscientific channel prager

>a pile of snow was dumped in front of the modern art museum this wednesday morning
>the pile of snow is Antti Majava's and Nestori Syrjälä's work of art - Winter 2008
>the environment political piece of art is simply a pile of snow left to face the elements

>Helsinki
>for fucking real

fug was meant to

there are still great arts being produce today just go to your nearest book store and read some art magazine that showcase all the great contemporary arts in the world

also
>PragerU
youtu.be/BJWq1FeGpCw

contemporary art sucks donkey balls, its actually finished because whites dont even know what to do, how to do it at all anymore and they couldnt stop circlejerking any time. and most of them became literal hipster garbage that doesnt have any aesthetic.

but that doenst make abstract art worthless. its just those modern ""artists"" eating up the art scenes are the worst

>that flag
>that video

Since in russian language "art" and "skillfulness" sounds almost the same, I don't consider modern art as art at all

t. Saudi Energy Minister

i was implying that PragerU is shit

This.

I think it's pretty clear he was implying PragerU is often rather shit.

educate yourself you stupid mongol. What you refer to modern art is actually post-modern art. Dali and Picasso are examples of Modern art.

There is no point in art if it is not trying to evolve or represent new and unique experiences. Generic realism has been done (and done incredibly well) countless times, no self respecting artist wants to just paint pretty pictures all day for the rest of his life for mental simpletons such as yourself.

If you struggle with such basic concepts maybe art isnt for you

Yeah totally not just shilling his oil.
Also it's a professionally made video on the internet so it has to be right :^)

ah you caught me using reverse psychology

This youtube chanel should be renamed voice of reason.

To be frank Picasso and Dali were shit too.

>Can we all agree that modern art is absolute and often time literal garbage?
no, not at all. I've been attending several modern art museums in Mexico city (Tamayo, MUAC, MUAM, chopo, el Eco, MUCA) and the art is astonishing, most of it is interactive and have a great history into it.
I remember a piece of modern art of a a bunch of machetes flying in a pendulum way 8ft from the ground, the machetes had speakers attached to them and the only way you could hear what the orator was saying about the meaning of the piece was by standing right under the machetes while they were flying. It was both terrifying and amazing.
Most modern art is intuitive, smart and intrepid, it catches you out of guard and makes you look inside the acrylics, it makes you look through the fabric of the painting or the ceramic of the object.
Some people enjoy the little things like hearing the sound of rain or the engine of a car, some people think that's stupid and they think that there's no beauty in finding meaning into mundane things, most people want their music to be melodic, ruled, precise and straight to the point.

youtube.com/watch?v=bsfX6xqCBks

>most people want their music to be melodic, ruled, precise and straight to the point.

Maybe because that's the definition of music you relativistic idiot. Sounds without order, rhythm and melody to them is basically just noise. Your argument is stupid, just look at dubstep.

>implying anyway will take you seriously now that you have embarrassed yourself
gg

sounds cool. I wish my city had remotely decent art galleries

it's not sophisticated, it's based on some basic ideas with attemot to surprise and to just make something new, but ignoring road for excellence at all.

almost all posters on this thread cant even distinguish between modern art and contemporary art

"modern art" is not even an actual term in art. its too vague

>music
"Arte de combinar los sonidos de la voz humana o de los instrumentos, o de unos y otros a la vez, de suerte que produzcan deleite, conmoviendo la sensibilidad, ya sea alegre, ya tristemente."
art of combining the sounds of human voice or instruments, or one another at the same time producing delight or a sensitive emotion.
I feel delight in the sound of a silent bus ride and the sound of droplets of water crashing in the windshield. It is literally music to my ears and no one can't take that away from me.
something, something, city with most museums in the world. People in here can pay their taxes with art and muralism was/is heavily used by the government as a form of teaching the illiterate.
>but ignoring road for excellence at all.
and that's a bad thing? the beauty of the imperfection is what drives most artist into creating art, do you think graham sutherland works were admired through out the world? they depicted the imperfection of the human self, they depicted what most people will call the ugliness of their characters but that's the beauty of his work, not to find excellence, not trying to elevate the human form but depict it as crude as possible.

>hurr durr all modern art is black/white squares and sighned urinals
>let's ignore the fact le ebin sighned urinal was suppose to be a critique of what it became known for

Left picture became obsolete with the advent of high quality photography. So to take their distance from photography, artists aimed for abstraction like cubism or surrealism instead of realism.

This was sold yesterday for 110 million dollars.
It's true, you can google it.
The buyer is a rich japanese.
It's money well spent.

In it's defense, it does look like a lot of work went into it. Though I wouldn't even pay 500 dollars for it.

I think I just "got" the black square art.
It is clever.

It's only garbage for those who don't engage in money laundering

What is it? Share with us.

this, the ricenigger gets it

This, it's basically memes for billionaires

It reflects the emptiness of human soul facing the infinite of the universe, a sublime piece of expressive art.
You really can't see that?

>I don't rate Picasso

A couple of years ago, BBC hired an art critic who wrote articles on their website. He basically said that the contemporary art scene is just a scam, a collusion between artists and critics circle-jerking each other to inflate prices and reputations. Art is now just another venue for the ultra-rich to hide their wealth from the taxman.

anyone else bored of seeing the same conservative agitprop posted endlessly

>Dali

>It reflects the emptiness of human soul facing the infinite of the universe
I guess that's one way to look at it.
>a sublime piece of expressive art
Cmon Giovanni. I'm open to different kinds of artistic expression, but there is a difference between mental masturbation and actually making art.

money laundering

interesting, if true that would explain a whole lot

Got any links to this critic's articles by any chance?

I wish. BBC has the worst fucking internal search engine. If you don't save it, you may never find it again.

You sound incredibly pretentious

It was probably by Will Gompertz. Anyone interested there is a good Vic Reeves Dada documentary and Waldemar Januscek (not sure on spellnig) makes some excellent art docs.

>The buyer is a rich japanese.

No wonder Japan is in a recession.

>ah yes we should keep drawing realistic paintings of fucking hills

Aaaaahahahahhuehueuheuheuhe

Guys, you can't really compare art before the 20th century with modern art and exclude the whole identity crisis it went through in the early 1900. With the invention of the camera, painting had to completely reinvent itself, since the need for photo-realistic paintings was now basically non-existent. This lead to artists focusing on their own personal expression as opposed to a default standard everyone is judged by, and therefore requires more from the viewer being familiar with the particular artist instead of just "art in general".

Would you rather want every artist to strive for the approval of the general public, like our pop music industry is like today where it's encouraged to just follow a bland, lowest common denominator recipe to get success? Or would you rather everyone try to do their own thing so you can find artists you enjoy while discarding the one you don't? These threads with "look guys modern art is just a white sheet lul everything was so much better before xD".

You guys honestly just sound like the "I'm 13 but I still listen to Led Zeppelin !!!! " kind of kids, if you don't enjoy modern art then that's fine but why even bother writing about it if you don't understand the point of it?

nice story but do provide us with the link

art is for money laundering

Sure, but postmodernism saved art. Also

>prageru

>mhhhm yes so much deep meaning to these painted turd

Yall gay

Modern art starts in the 1860's you philistines. Do you hate Van Gogh's work?

Thank G*rmans and other Squareheads up north

I have nothing against modern art or people doing their own thing and going against the norms. But hanging white sheets as if they're paintings, and people staring at white sheets as if there is a meaning behind it is just pretentious faggotry. There needs to be emotion and effort behind the work, craftsman and artist are not the same thing.

Yes, its used for money laundering. But you can still find real good stuff made today, you just need to know where to look. Artstation is one of my favorites, young,skilled artists gather there. Lots of good landscapes and portraits and other interesting stuff. artstation.com/

Isn't part of the reason for modern art is home decoration?

While I wouldn't go out of my way to look at abstract shit at a museum it's perfect for walls because you want something that's not going to distract from the room. Having some beautiful, photo realistic painting only works in certain homes. Just having some abstract piece adds color.

You guys...do know that realistic shit is still being drawn today? This thread is like if Sup Forums tried to become art critics yet never visiting /ic/