What are the best and worst live acts you have ever seen?

What are the best and worst live acts you have ever seen?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8YJfXdSR85o
youtube.com/watch?v=C3rg4psdHxw
youtube.com/watch?v=m3fc34EsKEg
youtu.be/IqWkFI7StA4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>best
Sufjan Stevens
dude knows how to put on a show while still making it all about the music
>worst
this opening act for a band I saw in Hamilton, don't even remember their name
their lead singer was this big chubby guy with a terrible voice and the bassist wanted to be the center of attention so bad. the only decent song they did was a cover of Victoria by the Kinks

best:probably Morrissey
worst: by fucking far MGMT

>Best
Toss up between Tim Hecker and Autechre
>Worst
Oneohtrix Point Never. Probably cause I had the most hype for it and it was so disappointing. Seen a lot of shitty edm festival bro acts though.

>best
Sun Kil Moon
>worst
DIIV

Best- Butch Walker. Made a half filled coffeehouse have more energy than a filled arena.

Worst- Desaparecidos. They kept having technical difficulties and throwing fits about it and the weird minute long samples between each song were pretty annoying.

who is that guy?

best: smash mouth
worst: smash mouth

>MGMT
I was really pissed because I couldn't go to a show a while back but then I checked out a live vid and felt better.

>Best
Vulfpeck, BADBADNOTGOOD, Melvins

>Worst
The Avalanches' live show was objectively a mess even though I had a ton of fun. I've never seen anyone that I would say is outright bad apart from some shitty no-name openers of openers.

Best: U2
Worst: Beck

Best: the Hives
Worst: the chainsmokers

youtu.be/8YJfXdSR85o

I've only been to a Styx concert and the Lady Antebellum concert I'm at right now. I think Styx was better purely by the virtue of not being Lady Antebellum.

Really? I saw MGMT way back when they played at the US open of surf in CA and they put on a great live show then.

best: Radiohead / Justice

worst: Tory lanes

lip synced almost his whole performance and shouted "HANDS UP" every 2 seconds

Best: Tool
Worst: Phil Collins

>best
King Crimson
>worst
some local punk/garage band i guess, ive been to a lot of house shows and such

>I've never seen anyone that I would say is outright bad

Oh shit scratch that I forgot Lynyrd Skynyrd was fucking awful.

Best: the chainsmokers

Worst: Swans

Best: Tera Melos was my favorite, but I've seen lots of great shows. '68 was probably the most energetic live band I've seen. Would definitely recommend, though they do open for some pretty bad bands very frequently.
Worst: In Flames, by far. Your mileage may vary, but when I saw them (they were opening for Opeth) they had these huge blaring colored lights on the stage facing the audience. Literally all I could see the entire time was giant blinking lights. The band wasn't even visible, not even as just silhouettes. Shit gave me a migraine, and their music wasn't really even that good.

I saw them in Boston it was right before the self-titled dropped. I don't know Andrew was just mumbling the whole way through and about 45 minutes in started yelling,"Fuck this, Fuck you" over and over before walking off.

I haven't been to any that were bad enough to write about. Nothing mindblowing either. Best was maybe RHCP during the Californication tour (saw them on the By the Way tour a couple years later too). As shit of a vocalist Kiedis is, he puts on a very high energy show.

I did go to see U2 with my sister when she lived in Toronto (I think in September 2008) and I was pretty impressed. Not a huge fan of them but I do like Where the Streets Have No Name. Bono didn't rant about poverty or world peace or whatever, not sure if that is just a meme or if we just got lucky, they just played music the entire time. It was simple, unpretentious, and the songs I knew were sounded close enough to the album version, no half-assed shit.

What

The Sup Forums meme triumvirate is pretty good live.
Swans/Death Grips/GY!BE

Best - FIDLAR in 2015 on the first tour back from hiatus at a 500 person venue that they had sold out immediately. Nearly everyone in the crowd was really young, Xs on most hands. They get on stage, say "Hi, we're FIDLAR" and dive straight into Stoked and Broke. The entire place went insane.

Worst - Run the Jewels, though it wasn't their fault. They were actually more entertaining and lively than I had expected, the crowd just sucked. No movement, no moshing. Everyone giving my shitty looks when I try to get to the one area where people seem to be having fun.

Worst: Bob Dylan, two years ago. Man cannot sing anymore.
Best: Mark Knopfler opening for Dylan the same night

What.jpg

Best: Tool concert I saw in their Lateralus Tour
Worst: youtube.com/watch?v=C3rg4psdHxw

Bob Dylan has the world's greatest racket going.

>charge exorbitant ticket prices to hear some old guy mumble barely comprehensible words
>the audience nonetheless acts like the whole thing is some awesome transcendental experience

best: nobody would believe me if i said it
worst: one of my friends is in a shitty metalcore band, you can imagine how that went

The 2001-02 tour was incredible although the album they were touring (All That You Can't Leave Behind) was trash.

Starfucker was incredibly fun.
>lead guy in drag with sweet glasses
>opening acts danced around in space suits for the first few and last few songs
>homemade wall of lights with custom LED shows for each song
>shooting confetti and streamers out into the crowd
>one of the guys in a spacesuit crowdsurfed in an inflatable unicorn boat multiple times while a drone flew around and filmed the whole thing

As far as worst, I dunno. I think the time a couple of my friends in high school decided to play an Opeth medley at a talent show. They had a video behind them of flowers opening and shit, it was cool but they were like sixteen so it wasn't really that good, even though I was happy they were doing something that the rest of my preppy-ass classmates weren't into.

>best
I wanna hear it, user. Was it some pop act you think Sup Forums would shame you for, or a meme band?

Best: The Roots
Worst: Some local folk punk band my friend was certain was going to be the next big thing

Best: Tool
Worst: Their opening band this past tour, Once and Future Band

Hot Chip is really great as a live act.

They have a separate "for tour" arrangements of album tracks that they actually play on the instruments instead of just fucking around with Ableton like a lot of electronic acts.

>best
Toss up between flatbush zombies and ho99o9

>worst
Probably asap twelvey

Where did you see FIDLAR?
Their music isn't anything amazing, if anything it's mediocre but their shows are pretty damn amazing. Saw them in Austin 2015 and again this year, and they managed to put on a better show which was awesome considering their first show was great.
Anyways
Best - Ty Segall, went to his concert because friend told me about him. Never listened to any of his music but once he started I couldn't be bothered to take my eyes off the stage.
Worst - Tyler the Creator, went to it because it was cheap (I think $15) and Sup Forums was hyping him up at the time. Only listened to Bastard and thought it was alright so I decided to give it a shot.
Faggot showed up an hour late, which was only made worse by the 100 degree weather. And his performance was shitty.

Autechre are fucking amazing live

I feel like OPN would have a decent show though. What was wrong with it?

>a meme band?
yeah definitely more in this category for sure...

>Best
Blonde Redhead opening for Interpol. Interpol themselves were mediocre. I'd never heard of Blonde Redhead before that gig and they were amazing live, I think they were promoting 23. Wasn't as good on CD as it was live but they were a neat discovery.
>Worst
Interpol at the same show. They couldn't have made it more obvious they really didn't want to perform that night.

>runners up
Metallica at their Death Magnetic launch gig.
Flaming Lips performing The Soft Bulletin in full. The performance was great but Coyne was clearly stoned out of his gourd and rambled incoherently for about 20 minutes between songs.

just tell us, it's anonymous dude

I was walking past the arena in my town after Dylan had just finished playing, I've never seen more unhappy faces after a show in my life.

i'll give you one hint
JERdk
i was THERE

Best - Phish
Worst - Cake

Hi fellow Buffalo user

Buffaloooo

>best (kind of a toss up)
Reignwolf, Langhorne Slim and The Law, Robert Randolph and the Family Band, TOBACCO

Reignwolf was fucking amazing.

>worst
WOLFMOTHER BY FAR (2007)
I remember Andrew Stockdale holding a single note of feedback for literally 2 or 3 minutes during the solo on "Woman." They were too hammered to perform, and the only redeeming part was when the vocalist from the opening band ran onstage during their set (also hammered), stole the mic, and chanted "SHOW ME YA MOVES" until security hauled him off.

>Best:

Tied between LCD soundsystem for their reunion tour like last year, got tix for a last minute show at the Fox Theater in Pomona and the place went off. Other is front row tix for Daniel Johnston, The Breeders, and Neutral Milk Hotel at the Hollywood bowl. Daniel Johnston said "any requests?" and I yelled out Speedy Motorcycle and he fucking played it. Too bad I was stoned off my ass on edibles and couldn't properly enjoy it.

>Worst:

MBV but it's not their fault they were having tech difficulties from the second song. Band handled it professionally but you could see Kevin was pissed. Also it was at a festival (FYF) so people didn't know how to act.

Worst performance was Kool A.D. at Low End Theory. The whole set he just said "fuck the police" and rapped maybe like 2 verses. Was funny for like 5 minutes then became annoying, then cringe. Apparently he got in a fight with the venue owner and decided to fuck the crowd over, super unprofessional.

Best:
Melvins
Worst:
Melvins

Hint: I've only ever seen a Melvins show.

He's kind of cute

best: king gizzard, badbadnotgood
worst: the who, phish

Don't usually reply but OAFB is pretty fuckin great live. Weird choice for them to open for Tool especially if everyone was anticipating heavy shit. I guess Tool thought that their fans would be a fan of anything inspired by progressive rock, but a band that sounds like they're from 1975 that references ELO as much as they do Yes, Soft Machine etc. doesn't strike me as something that Tool fans would dig lol. I'm only stanning for them cause I saw them play in a dive bar in San Diego for $10 and it was one of the most amazing sets over, they're ridiculously tight. Not to mention their album this year sounds amazing. Can't see that it would translate well to a huge stadium though. Idk, I would blame Tool for this more than OAFB lol.

best: darkside
worst: macklemore (played at my school)

Worst: Coolio

Best: flaming lips
Worst: oneohpointrix never, or Liam Gallagher played a 15 min set this year at Lollapalooza and was scheduled for an hour before he walked off stage.

>Best
Patti Smith or Stormzy
>Worst
Tony Joe White, I was fucked off my mind and he was playing this bullshit song about a Troll really sloppily and i thought i was having a heart attack

Who is he

I saw bob live a few months ago, thought it was excellent. His band has to be one of the tightest live bands I've ever seen, if not the very tightest. Bob's voice sounded haggard for sure, but still definitely bob dylan. Maybe it was jsut a good night for him but he hit about all the notes you would expect him too on the record, even had some impressive moments of pushing his range. But I cannot stress how great his band sounded. they were amazing. Show went on for two and a half hours, and they played some songs in a sort of remixed way with some different chords and some of them sounded so good the album version sounds significantly worse too me now (tangled up in blue is an example). Idk maybe it was just me but I thought the show was great but no one seems to agree with me.

Anyway,
Best: Converge
Worst: besides shitty no name openers, probably ighlooghost.

I went to TRNSMT in Glasgow this year, was my first concert and festival. The acts were Radiohead, Belle and Sebastian, London Grammar, Rag'n'Bone Man and Everything Everything. So going in with that only

Best: Radiohead
Worst: London Grammar

Been hoping to catch Tera Melos when they come through Portland one of these days. What did you think of Trash Generator?

Best: Comanechi
Worst: Lou Reed

>Best
Chromatics

>Worst
Lana del Rey

>Best:
Primus

>Worst:
Post Malone

>Best:
Death Grips or King Gizzard by far. non stop insanity for an hour and a half

>Worst:
some dickhead signed to Captured Tracks named "Dinner." All he had was a drum machine and a microphone and was rolling around on the floor near the audience getting people to talk/sing. absolutely embarrassing.

Best: Algiers in a tiny venue, that was half full. I've seen a ton of shows and enjoyed most of them to some degree, but this performance was so energetic and passionate.

Worst: Bob Dylan. It was 2010 (I think) and it was a shitty coliseum that's kind of known for having shitty sound. Dylan didn't want to be there, or that's the impression I got at least. People seemed to be loving it, or at least they pretended to. I was sitting back down in my dear about half way through. I know Dylan is notorious for being a bad live performer, but this was worse than i had imagined

Same poster, I just read the rest of the thread and saw that others here have had the displeasure of seeing Dylan

Best: Squarepusher in a small room. black room, White rapid-fire strobes, a bass, and a laptop. Frat dude-bros were up front and had no idea what to expect. Tom gets going on his slap-bass or whatever and doing sick glitchy drops and so on and these dudes are howling and absolutely loving it. The whole small room of a couple hundred people is totally into it and Tom encores the first two tracks from Big Loada. Squarepusher is not my favorite artist but the show made a big impression and was A+. Very gratifying show.

Honorable mention-best: GY!BE on the very night that we invaded Iraq, and I have the dox to prove it (cultural cred here). Sepia-country-road background imagery while they did their Yanqui-UXO-ish stuff. Two quiet encores, one of which was with people moving through the room softly banging this-and-that in time with the piece. I'm pretty sure I saw Efrim smoking beforehand just pacing outside the venue and looking all terribly worried before the doors opened, as you'd expect.

I haven't been to that many real, professional concerts in my life so I can't really point to a worst, or a shitty one.

>best
Denzel Curry at Rolling Loud 17 in Miami. He was one of the few people at Rolling Loud who actually rapped along to his songs. He was energetic and so was the audience.

>worst
XXXTentacion at Rolling Loud 17. Went out of curiosity and was not impressed. During "Look at me," he was literally yelling at the audience to pay attention to him and to turn on your camera flashlights. On top of that, he attempted to walk on us while he was performing. That was unsuccessful so he resorted to being carried by the crowd. He didn't even bother to rap along to his own song, he just yelled "Aye" and all that gay shit. At one point he told the DJ to replay the bass drop because the audience wasn't energetic enough. The DJ was ass too. He stopped the song at awkward moments and shit. Terrible experience.

what was wrong with DIIV?

Denzel Curry is great live.

Super charismatic and brings a lot of energy. When I saw him he rapped the first verse of Ultimate about seven times.

Even though I've grown out of them over the years, back when I saw Mindless Self Indulgence they had INSANE energy on stage and always talked with the crowd and stuff. Great show.

>best
Red Fang. They kicked ass when I saw them open for Opeth. They sounded clear, present, and energetic, the total opposite of In Flames, who also played that night and were pretty bad over all.

>worst
I forgot their name, and even if I remembered I'd never tell anyone because that would give them undue attention. All I know is that they opened for Killswitch Engage and it was just some thrift store Fred Flintstone-looking faggot and his drummer friend fucking around on stage for a half an hour but not even in a funny way. It must've been a bad case of nepotism because I've never heard of them before or since.

tfw I will never be you

What makes a live performance great?

Would you recommend going to see Daniel Johnston? He's playing in New York (where I live) the day after my birthday and tickets are like 30-40.

Best: Starfuckef
Worst: Pinback, by far.

I've heard from a couple of guys that sun kil moon sucks live

Fucccc

here?
this is pretty cool dude...
youtube.com/watch?v=m3fc34EsKEg

Best: Lee Noble, White Suns, Wreck and Reference, Some Pepper, Lay/Huag (5 act diy show)
Worst: No Age at the smell; they are boring

best: Denzel curry, danny brown, FBZ

worst: 21 savage

I live on a shitty island and no one comes here.

I live in a country with 1.3 billion people and only edm artists come here

Best: Neil Young
Worst: The Drones (opened for Neil Young)

>Best: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
I was in the front row and multiple times nick reached out and grabbed me by the hand/sang into my face
>worst: Schoolboy Q
Cunt showed up late, played a half assed show and left 45 minutes in. Apparently he bagged out the crowd calling people faggots or something but I already left at that point.

how I feel living in NZ

I know that feel, bro...
Mac Demarco was here a few times and I even saw him chilling out in Lyttleton but I never saw him play.
All he did was just host the local radio show and drink coffee.

>best
Kreator and Vader last friday, was fucking incredible, got a vader shirt too, was expensive as fuck though

Here's a video
youtu.be/IqWkFI7StA4

>worst
I was going to a local death metal show and I accidentally walked up in to the upstairs concert room at the bar it was at, payed to get 10 aussie dollars to get in and some gay little indie band was playing, I skulled the pint I was holding, went downstairs and went in to the right room payed 10 bucks to get in again and finally got to the metal show, made my money back by selling some weed to some american couple I met, smoked with them and since it was my birthday the next day they bought me more drinks and a kebab, drove home smashed then drank a litre of asahi, smoked some more and fell asleep

saw that greasy fuck outside Burger King on Courtney Place in Welly surrounded by art thots, god bless him

>drove home smashed

don't do that

if i lived like that i'd have killed myself by now

Yeah, probably shouldn't, It's melbourne though, it's dead at like 2 o clock where I was, literally no traffic plus fuck our public transport or walking around at night, especially not around that area I was in, there's a bunch of african and arab immigrants around that area and you're likely to get stabbed

Why?

>best
maybe Pikachu from Afrirampo

>worst
easily Crywank or Anxiety

take an uber mate

Didn't have the money lol, fuck that shit though, rather take a tram even though they're fucking shit, uber's expensive

you can already imagine the thick weed and cigarette stench just by reading that passage
not to mention dealing drugs and only getting meaningful interaction from the people buying them from you
plus, kebabs

>best
Gallows - back in the Frank Carter days

>worst
Death Grips - mainly because i have wanted to see them for ages and it was a bit of anti-climax when i finally did. The sound was also fucking terrible

Worst - some salty cunt eho sandbagged me for having a good time during his acoustic set at some wanky microbrewery.

Best - probs like NIN