Hey I figure there aren't too many of us on here, but I thought I would put up a Veteran's Day thread

Hey I figure there aren't too many of us on here, but I thought I would put up a Veteran's Day thread.

Come on in and tell some stories. Where you from, where were you deployed?

sandwich

I was in the Navy from '07 to '13. Deployed to provide air support for the Iraq draw down and for Afghanistan.

Also did anti pirate ops off the coast of Somalia and anti drug stuff in the Caribbean.

Well, that's alright I guess. Glad ya'll were smarter than me and didn't join up.

I can't say I'm in the service but my father was. Served in the army during Vietnam and desert storm, then department of energy during Iraqi freedom

Your father sounds like a good man. Mine was in Vietnam too. Seems like war is a family business for a lot of us.

My father served and many decent friends served. Salutes to the vets. Sorry you get fucked by this country.

We tried to build nations over there. I figure maybe we can come home and build a nation back here.

I want to be a teacher, maybe help people understand my war and what it was all about.

I bet. I hope you still keep that positivity somewhere in you. I know it's hard, but we both know that you got it down in there.

>Be a leaf
>Have friends who served in Shitghanistan

Yeah, when just a car starting triggers your PTSD, mad respect to all you guys who came back alive, that shit is plain whack...

It was a common route to go down at the time.

I'd say he definitely did his part and then some, just like millions of others. Sadly the government basically screwed him over in the end.

I had it easier than most.

I broke down a little when I came home the first time, and still from time to time, like today, it can be difficult. But the world is a lot bigger than I ever realized. I have a good life now. I miss my guys, but I never want to fight in another war.

To paraphrase somebody smarter than me, it's a ghastly business. That's the only word for it, ghastly.

I work with a guy who has to check the window in his office when he thinks about it. I won't pretend like I understand, but I respect him and his stories all the same.

Hey, no shame in that.Glad you found some way of looking around. It's definitely a shit business.

Everybody seems to know somebody who got deployed and came back all fucked up.

For me it was foot mobiles outside my house. I started concealed carrying, because I felt like any minute somebody was going to attack me.

>leaf guy here

My friend has an insane arsenal in his house. I asked him what for and he didn't even know, he just didn't feel safe.

Checked

>Outstanding quad quads

I feel better with a weapon close to hand. I don't go out without one.

I've only had to use it once, since I came back to the world, on some misguided black kids who thought my truck was a good one to break into. Didn't have to shoot though.

We learned to be afraid to stay alive, and that's very hard to turn off.

I can't say I have served, but I want to thank and congratulate all of you for fighting for your countries.

o7

Thanks man. Lift a glass for the ones that didn't come home.

>We learned to be afraid to stay alive, and that's very hard to turn off.

See I don't think it can be turned off. That survival mode is hardwired into us as animals (let's be honest here we're well dressed monkeys at best) and the way you guys had to tap into it daily just to get through can't be good for the rest of your cognitive functions.

I hope I can find a way. So far, all the talking and therapy in the world doesn't do a damn thing.