Politico: TRUMP'S RISE EXPLAINED BY DUNNING-KRUGER EFFECT

Many commentators have argued that Donald Trump’s dominance in the GOP presidential race can be largely explained by ignorance; his candidacy, after all, is most popular among Republican voters without college degrees. Their expertise about current affairs is too fractured and full of holes to spot that only 9 percent of Trump’s statements are “true” or “mostly” true, according to PolitiFact, whereas 57 percent are “false” or “mostly false”—the remainder being “pants on fire” untruths. Trump himself has memorably declared: “I love the poorly educated.”

But as a psychologist who has studied human behavior—including voter behavior—for decades, I think there is something deeper going on. The problem isn’t that voters are too uninformed. It is that they don’t know just how uninformed they are.

Psychological research suggests that people, in general, suffer from what has become known as the Dunning-Kruger Effect. They have little insight about the cracks and holes in their expertise. In studies in my research lab, people with severe gaps in knowledge and expertise typically fail to recognize how little they know and how badly they perform. To sum it up, the knowledge and intelligence that are required to be good at a task are often the same qualities needed to recognize that one is not good at that task—and if one lacks such knowledge and intelligence, one remains ignorant that one is not good at that task. This includes political judgment.

We have found this pattern in logical reasoning, grammar, emotional intelligence, financial literacy, numeracy, firearm care and safety, debate skill, and college coursework. Others have found a similar lack of insight among poor chess players, unskilled medical lab technicians, medical students unsuccessfully completing an obstetrics/gynecology rotation, and people failing a test on performing CPR.

Read more: politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/donald-trump-supporters-dunning-kruger-effect-213904#ixzz49hCwHa6X

Other urls found in this thread:

politico.com/story/2016/03/5-myths-about-trump-supporters-220158
politifactbias.com/
collegeatlas.org/top-degrees-by-gender.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Politico

>only 9 percent of Trump’s statements are “true” or “mostly” true, according to PolitiFact
>politifact
into the trash

>maybe if I call them stupid they won't vote

Try something that hasn't been done already.
Totally worthless shilling.
Saged.

>Republican voters without college degrees
Surely a group significantly less intelligent than Democrat voters with Gender Studies degrees.

meme effect. I could say the same thing about any liberals I disagree with

Its the weekly "explanation" of why Trump is so popular episode

>voters are generally uninformed, don't understand their candidate's policies vote mostly with feelings/identity/shallow stereotypes but like to hink of themselves as perfectly rational and well informed.

Yeah, that's an argument against democracy maybe, or does that moron believe that Bernie/Hillary voters are any more reasonable than the average Trump supporter?

>calls others stupid while citing Politi""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Fact"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
The author proved the Dunning-Kruger effect is real.

>voters are generally uninformed, don't understand their candidate's policies vote mostly with feelings/identity/shallow stereotypes but like to think of themselves as perfectly rational and well informed.

Must be talking to Hillary supporters

I think it's hilarious that a politico writer is invoking the Dunning-Kruger effect.
The only people suffering from that here are "political commentators" trying to rationalize why Trump is shitting all over them.

>according to PolitiFact,

bullshit.

>Dunning-Kruger Effect

Literally a reddit meme for pseudointellectuals.

Jesus christ this is so incredibly condescending.

>psychology, intelligence, and iq are only real when it applies to dumb white southerners!!

based Moldova

>his candidacy, after all, is most popular among Republican voters without college degrees

You forgot the part where the vast majority of college degrees are in the social sciences, which doesn't say anything about intelligence or academic achievement. If you for example go to a physics or chemistry department you will see much higher support for conservatives and even more so for libertarians.

as Sup Forums loves to say these days:

Not an argument

Conservatives tend to be more informed about politics than liberals when it comes to actual information.

Half of liberals probably can't even name the speaker of the house.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is strong in these ones.

I think it's more of the contrarian effect going on with Trump as to why he's doing do well. All Trump had to do was tap into the anti-political correctness anger that's been building in the general public for years and here we are today.

Alternatively, people are just getting tired of politicians pandering to irrelevant majorities because they have forgotten who really owns the US.

wow! they have wifi at refugee shelters now, ahmed?

This

What's wrong with being uninformed?
Don't be a classist bigot.

That is an agument because politico and politi fact are blatantly left wing websites.

I remember a statistic was once presented on politifact that men who are transgender kill themselves more frequently and the reason it was labeled incorrect was that "transgender women are not men"

It's literally just a liberal talking points trash heap

The Dung-Kebab effect is strong in this one

Oh the irony

>“true” or “mostly” true, according to PolitiFact
>according to PolitiFact

The irony of using PolitiFact as a source in an article talking about ignorance and lack of information.

Even liberal lezzer Rachel Maddow knows PolitiFact is trash.

>politifact
Get fucked. The name is an oxymoron when you view their content.

Trump polls well with everyone, not just "stupid uneducated CIS white racist males without fender studies degrees".

Terrible.

>Trump supporters are dumb dumbs!!!
Yeah we have seen this before.

Nah, there is some truth to it, it is just almost always brought by the people it actually applies to.
Your average moron on the street is mostly aware that he is not the brightest candle, it is the pseudo-intellectuals who bought themselves some useless degree and thinks it makes them a genius who constantly fall into that trap.

>it hurts my feelings therefore its not true

i realize that dipshits like you unironically consume non-peer reviewed heritage foundation studies as irrefutable truth, so there isn't really anything i can say to change your mind. i'm sure you read breitbart as fair and balanced "news"

>Went to Wharton
>Licensed attorney
>Work at top think tank in the world in my field
>Support Trump

Funny story on this one: There were a decent amount of cucks who opened up their wifi so that refugees could use it.

Lots of them were slammed with lawsuits because the poor traumatized refugees used the chance to torrent the most recent movies.

>Republican voters without college degrees

Are they seriously saying that having a college degree these days is still a measure of intelligence?

I'd rather trust someone who learned a trade on their own or an apprenticeship than a product of modern safe-space, trigger-warning affirmative action academia.

>projecting

In other news, Politiact is shit.

It's staffed by Penn undergrads. I was a cuck that had to work there for projects when I had com classes at Annenberg.

Most republicans like myself take up a trade where we ironically take more maths and sciences than the democrat with a phd in theater. So I really hate the college degree meme because education is not the same thing as intelligence

Surely this will make Trump supporters adanbon ship.

lol, they don't know that we don't care that he is full of shit all the time. We like him for it.

>Politi'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Fact'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

>I'd rather trust someone who learned a trade on their own or an apprenticeship than a product of modern safe-space, trigger-warning affirmative action academia.

protip: academia as a whole isn't represented by memes you've been consuming on Sup Forums during your formative years.

You are really claiming these institutions hold no political bias?
Also, didn't they recently poll and show that the percentage of non educated voters for trump was higher than 9% oh yeah
politico.com/story/2016/03/5-myths-about-trump-supporters-220158

>politico.com

You actually expect me to take your source literally. Get a think tank not a marxist echo chamber.

Fuck off oregonfag, no one thinks you are important.

>not an argument

>muh Dunning-Kruger
Fuck off with this nonsense

>liberal college brainwashing isn't real

If you've been to any college in the last 10 years you would know the brainwashing is real. Even if you major in STEM they'll still make you take credits for "multicultural competence" or something

I'm more inclined to believe people who can actually think for themselves

are you dense? i couldnt have said it any more clearer. fringe groups from the faggy pictures you save on Sup Forums != reality.

you rag on college as not being actually "intellectual" or whatever the fuck you want to call it, meanwhile falling back on "not an argument" as a cop-out. i'm sure the irony is lost on you.

>PolitiFact

i graduated in 2010. of course there are plenty of lunatics on college campuses, but they are a small minority unless you attend some 1000 student cesspool like oberlin.

it's pretty clear you are just rationalizing why you are still a pathetic NEET living like a parasite in mommy's house

Sup Forums largely consists of retards? STOP THE PRESSES

Fuck Politico.

Fuck "experts"

Fuck smartass crypto-communists.

I would rather be governed by 400 random names from the phone book than by the faculty of MIT

It's in local public schools as well. Not just college. Anyone saying otherwise is either an idiot or being disingenuous

>still not an argument

This lol.. Politifact is demonstrably biased .. They rate trumps statements as lies when it offends them

Pundits still can't get it that people vote for Trump because of his policies.
Anti illegal immigration, America First, Anti NAFTA/TPP policies.

Actually, some do get it, they know. But it would be against their interests to voice this. So they lie instead.

Trump has tremendous support among educated people as well. Lower than his average though because:
1. Liberal arts considered as education while in effect they are an indoctrination camp for the fascist liberal disciplines.
This produces people who are counted as 'educated' for the sake as statistics while the reality could not be further from that.

2. higher educated people tend to spend more time consuming the poison that is the media propaganda machine. in effect making their decisions less educated.

seriously?
how come politifact is beeing cited so much in the media, when they obviously lie all the time?

>using the heavy biased Politifact as a source

You know, I really hate that just because some people don't have a college degree, that apparently gives people who majored in gender studies or even worse, psychology, a say in what the undereducated should believe because they are "educated". Some of the highest ranked people my in my college are complete fucking morons when it comes to the way the world works. The writer of this article is no different, I bet he doesn't know the amount of which tax payers spend to let illegal immigrant stay here, nor why having a strong national identity is a good thing. There is a reason their country is shit and ours is not. He can take his Dunning-Kruger effect and shove it up his ass, he's just as uneducated as anyone else.

OP here.

I wasn't going to post at all, but this post here just blew me away with how stupid it is.

First off, this article isn't a "source." It is essentially one psychologist's view of the matter in article form. Second, I never posted it as a "source." I posted it because I found it amusing that politico actually went there, and I thought it would be fun to see Sup Forums's reaction. Finally, think tanks are fine, but they aren't the objective source of truth that you seem to think they are. Many have agendas or are slanted in one direction or another by their funding sources.

So this post was so incredibly stupid that I simply had to break my silence to address it. Kill yourself.

awww, is babby triggered that somebody invaded his "safe space"?

>politifact

Trump is great. Hopefully his rule will show the fucktards we have in the "far right"- movement way of winning and putting the nation and the people FIRST

TRUMP!

>especially not an arguement

>b-but educated people are less educated I SWEAR

>We as Democrats stand for the poor blue collar uneducated underclass who is unfairly represented in our country's political system.
>LOL LOOK AT THESE TRUMP SUPPORTERS I BET THEY'RE ALL UNEDUCATED POOR PEOPLE

Wasn't there reliable UN data showing that 60-70% of the migrants were men?

This politi'fact' isn't ignorant, it's blatant lying.

politifactbias.com/

You have to go back... to the trash.

>You forgot the part where the vast majority of college degrees are in the social sciences, which doesn't say anything about intelligence or academic achievement.

THIS

Here's the rub. Out of the total that's true. Out of those entering Europe it's not true

So basically the more you think your not affected by something, the more your actually affected? I call bullshit.

>le mommy basement meme

Fuck off. I majored in chemistry and for my "cultural credits" I tried to just take philosophy and still ended up with some bull dyke telling me how none of aristotles ideas really mattered because he was a dead white male

Modern academia is a complete liberal circle jerk and anyone who doesn't see it is blind

>voters without degrees in gender studies should literally not have jobs, not be allowed to vote, and starve to death, and not complain about any of it.

LITERALLY YOU

Yes, women studies and general degree teaches you less than learning to work as a mechanic, electrician or a plumber.
Objectively a person who spent 3 years studying Chinese poetry at some meme collage is less educated then the above.

>le all degrees are gender studies maymay
It's not even in the top 10 for women.

collegeatlas.org/top-degrees-by-gender.html

Or,.. it's NOT the Dunning Kruger effect?

:)

Degrees you personally dislike don't make them less valuable you fucking retard

Not but the amount of money that can be earned with said degree makes them less valuable.

Oh why won't we look at the stats turns out POLITICO IS WRONG

Trump and Hillary share the same % of WHITE educated people. This is the latest ABC/WoPo poll posted on RCP.

Of course Blacks and Hispanics were not included in this poll, that would show that the % of educated people supporting Hillary is lower than Trump.

>moving the goalposts

Isn't the term 'uneducated' just a poorly used term for blue collar workers? Who are actually more realistically educated by life them the liberal progressives with an "education"?

FLY ON HEAD

Teaching garbage and no standards to graduate makes them so though.

>according to PolitiFact
well there's your problem right there.

>muh anecdotal infactual """""opinion"""""

Oh come on, you have to try harder than that.

>(((Psychologist)))

Or, could it be that Trump is backlash for liberals and their over the top SJW shit? Sup Forums for instance is very well informed and knows that Trump is a liar and flip flopper, they know all of his scandals, policies etc. and still support him.

Electrical engineering degree requires more intelligence than women's studies. That's a fact.

But I guess for liberals nothing is fact, and everything is a spectrum.

>But I guess for liberals nothing is fact, and everything is a spectrum.
Yeah, and you're on it

Nigs not only uneducated but jobless and vote Democrat but this never comes but by libshits because it goes against the narrative

Not all college degrees are equal you moron. There are objective standards based on real world application or use for education. Gender Studies is useless in every facet of life so I would not call someone with a Gender Studies degree "educated." Also educated in a general sense usually means a broad range of foundational knowledge.

>he graduated with a women's studies degree

Don't be mad, I'm sure you're good enough to be a secretary.

This.
BA is the new high school diploma, a BA holder shouldn't count as educated.
If anything, learning a trade instead of getting a shitty 3-year degree shows you have foresight and concrete plans about your future.

Do I have to clarify when I'm being sarcastic?

>politifact
Immediately fucking discarded

it's a lefties are intelligent not indoctrinated thread

Typical women and fag shit

Oh no you don't know why you do or like X it's actually because of this thing, just trust me on this one

Forget it, it's just an Arab shitposting.
Better he blows his load here than in a subway station.

>People voting for Hillary only because she's a woman
Perfectly fine
>Dont have a masters degree, but agree with Trump
Not okay.

Whatever America. Cant wait till your stupid election is over and done with. Not even Vince McMahon could come up with such retardedness as this campaign is delivering daily.