I've decided i want to learn programming and you guys are the only neckbeards i hang out with so i will ask here: what...

i've decided i want to learn programming and you guys are the only neckbeards i hang out with so i will ask here: what language should i learn as my first?

Other urls found in this thread:

udemy.com/java-tutorial/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

c++

and then x86 assembly

everything else will then come naturally

Python is the easiest to learn but it's too basic. Try C++ first

Try C++
3 out of the 3 faggots ITT recommend it.

Python for your first language as its pretty easy and will get you experienced with variables and such

Then do c++

This

prolog or youre a fag

javascript is probably the easiest to learn as there are a fuck ton of resources to learn it free, and only takes a few weeks. a lot of non-pros use it. but then again, i think of web development more as "coding" rather than "programming". if you want to create programs, c++ is a good start, but javascript is a intro to writing code and understanding how objects and functions work in web pages will be a good intro before you go into more complicated things with actual programming.

Python, it's pretty easy.
In case you want to be a nice programer start with C++ or JAVA. They're the most useable languages you'll use.

Depends on what you want to get into.

Industry wants it gone by 2020

As a Java dev working at a place that has about 10-ish JavaScript devs I would never recommend doing JavaScript, it's a fucking mess right now. Nobody knows what the proper way to do shit is, everything is in development, no mature tools exist at all. Youve got grunt, gulp, npm, bower, babel, typescript, coffescript, webpack, yarn, nodejs, all browsers, old browsers, feature detection, "progressive" web apps, mobile shit, and all kinds of other bullshit all backwards incompatible and all fucking eachother up while the language and frameworks are changing rapibly from shit like Ember, Backbone, to Angular to React. Nobody has a fucking clue what iwll be relevant and anything you learn is wasted in a few years.

Meanwhile in Java land everything is chill. Just use Spring Boot, Maven or Gradle and maybe learn Kotlin to stay up to date.

JS became a fucking mess, dont even THINK about become a JS dev

C, every other answer is wrong and probably posted by some shitty "front end" faggot

I heard Basic is pretty good.

Poo

Haskell is great as a first language.

Don't listen to idiots telling you to learn C++ or ASM. It's the best way for you to give up and hate programming. Pick something on a higher level of abstraction like Python/C#/Java.

python for basic scripting

c++/java to actually learn programming

I live and work in the netherlands, born in swiss. If you think Java devs are poo in loo, good for you because it gives me more job security, in the real world where people hold jobs we know indians are completely useless.

Making 85K eur/y for the past 3 years at 25 y/o so suck my dick poo faggot

COBOL or some assembler language

C or c# for quicker, but not as thorough entry. Could even go for vb.net, 1337 cool people will look down on you, but it's very capable.

Plankalkül or FORTRAN

>vb.net
capable of what? I am a professional programmer for 4 years now, never seen anyone use it, never seen any job posting including it. It's shit.

I second this guy

also need help, I've been intrested in programming and coding for some while now. I've done these bs codecademy courses for python so i know the basics, whats my next step Sup Forumsros how do i get more in-depth with learning shit and getting things done

>VB.net
>capable of what?
Capable of people like me re-writing 10+ year old production code in C#. That's literally it.

Not him but i'[m trying to learn javafx right now on my own. i ran into a problem and i think i know the solution but i'd like your take: the book i'm using is older (2012 i think) and i'm using the most up to date definition of java. the problem i'm running in to is when trying to make an Image object. my book says the constructor for Image will accept a file path or URL object as a parameter. however when i try to make an image object in my code using a file path, i get an error due to invalid parameter. i went to javadocs and it says there the only acceptable parameter is a URL.
so what gives? do they sometimes change things like this out of the blue?

Literally do what every uni undergrad does. Do java and then c++

>2012
>trying to learn JavaFX
There's your problem. The JavaFX libraries are similar but not the same as Swing. Especially with classes like Image, make sure you're using the right imports (i.e. javafx.scene.image.Image, not java.awt.Image).

You are lucky you get to rewrite it. I Imagine altering it would be much worse.

c
c++
the rest comes easy

at my uni it was: C -> C++ -> Java

get a textbook online for your language of choice (do either Java or C++). make sure the book a an edition or two old and not the newest, as it will be considerably cheaper.
also, when you get started you will be expected to do things like download whatever definition of the language your'e using, an IDE, perhaps set up environment variables, etc. this stuff can be frustrating but don't give up. use a search engine to find out you need to do and how to do it, as well as troubleshooting when things (inevetibly) don't work. if you still can't figure it out go to Sup Forums and ask in a /sqt/ or /dpt/ what to do, including what you have tried. best of luck!@

should i use some other language for GUI? i thought javafx was the latest supported for java?

here, have the full step-by-step guide on programming
>check 1-3 basic online courses courses
>look up a forum (if c++, cplusplus.com. If java, the official java website, so on)
>check what other programmers do, see the libraries/functions that they use and how they use them.
>check pic related for algorithms and shit

>don't forget to program in-between, because you'll need practice
>use a style guide, we don't want eye cancer
>always use open source -Stallman

I recomend you to learn C# or Java at first. You will get less frustrated and have more results in shorter time of programming.
Its a so called high-level language and easier for a human than C, C++.

Yeah, especially the particular project that I'm working on because it was written by a mechanical engineer, so you have parts where, for example, x event turns this box red, and then later on if that box is red, do something else (instead of keeping the data layer and UI separate). Not to mention all of the copy/paste code... it needed a re-write in so many ways.

perl

does anyone have the pasta where you recommend first learning boolean algebra, logic gates, transistor logic and abstract algebra before even touching python? it used to pop up[ all the time last year but i haven't seen it for a whle

Pascal. It was made as a teaching language.

JavaFX is the latest, but it wasn't stable until 2014, so your book might be outdated. In fact, it's so new (relatively speaking) that a lot of employers who do Java GUI dev still look for Swing knowledge. Of course, I prefer JavaFX over Swing (and Java 1.8 in general, it has some nice goodies like lambda handlers). For general dev purposes, I'd recommend JavaFX.

I recommend learning C# and Java at the same time too since they're pretty much the same language.

Thanks bro

Every programmer I ever worked with that was worth shit didn't "need" schooling to "learn" programming. They were just addicted to it as kids, like some kids memorize baseball stats or collect stamps.

So good luck "learning" from the retards at Sup Forums. Most of any of these kids worth their shit probably started off the same way, and are too busy hacking into Jennifer Lawrence's new iPhone X to bother teaching you.

I majored in math and biology, i think i'll be fine learning it as a hobby you pompous ass

Java or C/C++. Buy an actual textbook and read it though. Don't just watch a bunch of tutorials online if you want to actually understand programming and not be another mediocre coder.

Those kids still learned from somewhere. You don't just sit at a computer and start innately writing code you dipshit.

java. Its the most widely used (not necessarily the best). People will debate what "the best language is" until the end of time. Its like coke vs pepsi. But java is probably your best bet to getting a job. You need a "main" language as the backbone of your resume so either c++ or java. Then you can easily pick up other less popular languages later.

Do not learn python first.

what about languages like R?

John Purcells full intro to Java does actually help you understand the fundamentals though.

udemy.com/java-tutorial/

Python 3 is a solid first language.

Again which language you're using depends on the employer. Most tech companies use a combination of different languages, libraries or IDEs. Generally if you learn Java you'll have the broadest reach in terms of employer requirements.

There are many areas of programming you can branch off into that have their own sets of libraries, frameworks and even languages. Its all about what area YOU are interested in. Web dev? Networking? Application development? Mobile development? Front end, back end? Full stack? There are many areas you can specialize.

Keep in mind also its literally impossible for any single developer to master all areas of programming.

Learn C to a basic level. Then learn C++ or Java to a basic level.

>udemy.com/java-tutorial/
mmm yeah beginner tutorials like that are good but I'd still recommend buying textbooks. You can buy older versions of textbooks off amazon for a couple bucks.

The entire point of the relatable nice guy character was just to kill him off to get the biggest reaction from people. Fucking lazy writing.

Welke opleiding heb je gedaan?

how does one into data science?

if you're more than 23 years old just give up

why?