Career/Job thread: Basic info? What do you do (with brief description if not obvious from title) and how long...

Career/Job thread: Basic info? What do you do (with brief description if not obvious from title) and how long? How much do you make (Benefits, bonuses, and non money caveats optional; example: you get to fuck the secretary.)? Do you enjoy it (If not, is it worth it for the money?)? Do you consider your job a career or just a job? How good or bad is the effort to money ratio? How competent are you? Interesting facts or anecdotes?

>Me
>27, Texas, Male
>Job: Terminal operator, 3 years; downstream distribution and receiving of finished petroleum products. Basically I help maintain the machinery and do the office work that gets gasoline/diesel from the refineries to onto the trucks that deliver it to gas stations.
>Income: Give or take $70,000 a year. About $10000 more this year due to disaster relief overtime after hurricane Harvey.
>Enjoyment: I don't enjoy it, but the money is worth it.
>Carrier/job: Career, but I may change careers to move closer to family and friends after I get more experience.
>Money to effort: High. Machinery is low maintenance and the office work is easy when you get the hang of it. There is a lot of free time, and the menial tasks during that free time are easy. Occasionally there are days when everything goes to shit and you're working hard, but those are rare.
>Competency: Very. Better at dealing with things than three of the four guys I work with
>Other: Dealing with truck drivers is frustrating.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OlopiI4DE44
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

25, Texas, Male
Job: management consultant for oil and gas industry. Help companies with strategy, investment analysis, market analysis
Salary: 90 base, around ~115 after bonus and retirement match (bonus should grow now that our company is growing again after the price crash)
Definitely high effort. Long hours and it's a tough job in many ways. Clients pay us to answer hard questions they can't answer themselves. And often times we don't quite know how to answer them either, but we have to figure out. But it's very stimulating.

Can you try to find a job in the same industry closer to family/friends? There are terminals everywhere.

Tell us more about what it was like dirstibuting after Harvey

Fag chads with jobs

25, m, California

Job: elementary teacher, 2 years, deal with little shits everyday, teach, grade, plan, communicate with parents, go on field trips, make sure nobody dies, educate youth of the future

Income: 45k a year, dental/eye/health insurance; extra perks - looking at hot ass milfs...some that can be very young too, gift cards or gifts from parents...cue the fucking Starbucks gift cards and cups

Enjoyment: yes I enjoy it but it's a lot of fucking work, def need a good team and support, more money in CA but less help in the classroom with teaching assistants/aids...close to being worth the money although good teachers should be paid more

Career/job: career

Money to effort: too lazy to think about and answer this question

Competency: beginner...teaching is all about experience. You can be a natural with working with kids but it still requires a ton of fucking learning and experience to figure out how to best teach and suit the needs of students.

Other: teachers are fucking crazy - love to drink and some smoke a good bit of pot. Parents are fucking crazy - went to a big event both years where teachers and parents mingle with food and an open bar...let's just say I did fireball shots with my students' parents. Kids are nasty - trashy fucking desks, bitten pencils, 3 times a kid pissed his pants, student from another class shit her pants. Kids are assholes - feelsbadman.jpeg ... not only to other students but to adults. Kids are funny - 2nd graders playing fucking computer games and spittin out memes these days

Unfortunately, laid off, pursuing other things for time being until I can settle down again.

It's nice that you can move anywhere for that career (though there are some hoops to jump through with state licensing)

Head of IT security.
Close to half a mil a year.
Yes, I enjoy it a lot, it's a career.

28 years, Brazil/Singapore
Job: Commodities trader (soybeans and corn), almost 2 years
Activities: Monitored market offers for soybeans and corn, negotiated in the physical market, traded soybeans, corn, meal and oil futures in Chicago Exchange, calculated book PnL, managed both soybeans and corn book, traded options.

That's for damn sure! 3 month wait time to get CA teaching license, even though I had everything to teach in another state.

23 M
US Air Force
idk at this point
job is easy and pay is decent

Thought thread was gonna die so hit enter prematurely.

Effort to money ratio is pretty good. I'm often taking days off or working remotely.

It's fun getting to make a difference at my firm. We reward our employees handsomely and hand out a lot of benefits. Last year we handed out decent laptops to employees for remote work + personal use.

29, Florida, Male, White
Unemployed.
Several places I applied to hired a minority instead of me.

Nice !

>41, m, Ohio
>Job: Auto repair shop owner/technician. Pretty self-explanatory, but I own my own and work in my own auto repair shop
>Income. Varies. Usually around 60-65k/year on track for about 75k this year, though
>Enjoyment: I fucking love it. Being my own boss, deciding whether I want to work or just fuck off for the day, all while doing something I really like to do, it's great, wouldn't trade it for anything
>Career/Job: Career. I've been working on cars since I was 12, and have spent most of the years since then in training, college, working in other shops for other people, fixing cars out of my garage at home during the few years when I was forced to do factory work due to economic situations.
Money to effort: Varies. Some shit, like brake jobs are easy money, but then there's stuff like engine and trans rebuilds that require a bit more effort, but they pay better, so it kind of evens out.
Competency: Very high. I hold 2 associate's degrees, one for Automotive Technologies, and one for Automotive business management, I am an ASE certified Master Automotive Technician, and I was an ASE certified master engine machinist, until they did away with that category.
Other: Only thing I'd change about my job is, I wish I were able to do my own machine shop work instead of having to farm it out to the local machine shop, so I could focus on building engines, as that's the thing I really love doing, but finances kind of prohibit me from spending hundreds of thousands on milling machines and cylinder hones and the like.

may I ask what you applied for?

>22, Westcoast Canada, Male
>Job: Parking Enforcement, 2 years, you all know what I do.
>Income: $45,000-$50k
>Enjoyment: Don’t necessarily enjoy handing out tickets but enjoy driving around and shit
>Carrier/job: Career-ish, looking to go into Bylaws or law enforcement
>Money to effort: Decent; solid wage considering most companies pay around $12-$18/hour for what I do. On top of that, the place I work is very laid back compared to other companies; ie. no quota, don’t have to write reports, general public and bosses are much nicer
>Competency: I honestly feel like the job is so easy that its dumbing me down, I’m very competent at what I do; investigating complaints, etc… but it’s not challenging
>Other: Benefits are pretty decent, schedule is sort of shitty, lots of unwritten rules that I’m somehow expected to know.

Parking enforcement pays that? Shit, sign me up.

Its a tragedy how underpaid and underappreciated the teaching profession is in the US.

>25 / M / USA
> Job: Software engineering. I make tools and frameworks that other developers at my company use to build websites and web services. Also help out with feature development at times
> Income: ~$180k/yr pre tax
> Enjoyment: Programming, computers and the web are fantastic. Lazy coworkers and management politics blow. I'm a workaholic.
>Career/Job: Career. I save ~60% of my take home pay. Hoping to retire in ~10 years and do free, open source work full time.
>Competency: Would never say it in real life but I am a "10x" dev. I've made some of the most fundamental pieces of my org's business (work at a large corporation).

Kind of hate my job, but I like the web too much so I put up with it for the opportunity to make good things for millions of users.

I work in a bank.

youtu.be/OlopiI4DE44

22 m, Southern California
Job: Benihana Teppan Chef. I cook in front of the guests and put on a show.
Income: with tips and what not average 50k in a year
Enjoyment: when the guests want to have fun and aren't doing dumb shit and making up allergies I enjoy it quite a bit. It's starting to get crazy busy this time of year and getting like 200+ dollars in cash a day isn't too bad
Career/job: probably job. I'm in culinary school right now and I'd like to move to finer dining and eventually become and executive chef making my own menus and whatnot
Money to effort: meh. Hours are very long and being an entertainer for like 10 hours a day is exhausting. People are idiots. It varies day to day
Competency: I'm pretty good I feel. The guys whove worked they're for 10+ years kinda make me feel like a bum sometimes but I'm better than average I think. I'm charismatic and can normally assure most guests have a good time
Other: another plus is there's a bunch of hot girls that work there/come in. I've gotten laid from the job a few times

>Me
>30, Georgia, Male
>Job: Corporate pilot (Captain) for a major institution. Midsize jet.
>Income: $124,700 salary + fully paid medical/dental/vision, 401k match, profit sharing.
>Enjoyment: Love it.
>Career/job: Career. Worked up from much shittier places. Lucked into this. It's the sort of gig 15+ year pilots at the majors aspire to.
>Money to effort: Fairly high. 90% of the job is "low effort" but supported by years and years of high effort training.
>Other: Annual recurrent training events, any one of which can end your career. Annual medical exams, any one of which can end your career. Have to maintain good physical fitness.

I work approximately 5-8 days each month.

The pussy comes to me.