I graduate from electrical engineering in 6 months

I graduate from electrical engineering in 6 months

tl;dr:
>had interview last week
>get job offer
>theyre only giving me 2 weeks to answer them

Should I accept? I feel like it's too early to shut out all other opportunities just because I got one offer already...they're obviously only giving me a couple of weeks to answer to pressure me to act quickly on the opportunity

Thoughts?

welcome to life

take it, took me 8 months to get my first ee job. no a lot of people out there looking to hire young talent. if it sucks, bail 6 moths later for a better one. you have to get your foot in the door where you can

Accept the offer, or counter offer with the terms you need.

If you get another offer later that's better, al your company to renegotiate. If they won't, leave for better offer.

It's a job, you're not getting married.

I am not excited.

I don't necessarily like the work, but I suppose you're right.

They're already paying decent, but I don't like the work so I'm more worried missing other opportunities. I have one more interview tomorrow, I'll tell them I have an offer already standing and see what they say.

Ty bros

Advice from old fag. It's always easier to get a better job when you have a job.

Although this is true, a lot of people are also telling me now is the time to take a risk (and work for a startup or something for example)

What you think?

superposition theory

Well user, first what you're gonna wanna finna do is get a different degree that doesn't involve physics

y

Advice from an EE/CS approaching oldfag status at this point --
take the offer. You can always take another job later if/when you find something better.

Working for a startup isn't all that it seems to be. Most of them really suck. It's only a small handful of startups that are swimming in venture money with cool modern furniture and fun projects. They're usually run by technical-savy people who suck at business and management. There is always a cash flow crisis (i.e. someone's paycheck will bounce every week), infighting amongst the principles, and lack of direction and leadership.

You'll learn a lot from your first real job. You might think you've spent years learning at this point, but in reality most of it is useless. You need some experience.

Are there other job offers? If not, have you looked for another job offers?

BTW, I do a lot of hiring of engineers now. Usually when we give candidates a deadline it's because we need the position filled, and if you don't want it we need to move on to someone who does. It's not a high pressure tactic -- it's a business need to fill the position and wasting time waiting for someone's indecision costs us money.

Makes sense- thanks man. If I accept the offer can I still decline it before I start lol? (I know it's a shitty thing to do)

No, but I have a few interviews lined up *after* they want an answer.

Take the job, go to the other interviews anyway.

say yes and if something better will come to you just grab it by a poossy

Take the job. I get the feeling that in six months or so the job market in the US anyway will probably be rekt.
Startups are the pits. Don't work here if you expect to have any life outside of work.

Yeah, you can always decline. It is somewhat of a shitty thing to do, and you'll probably burn a bridge with working for that company for several years. It happens a fairly frequently though for all sorts of reasons like they got a better offer elsewhere, they decided they don't want to relocate, their current job gave them a raise to keep them, etc.

Do all engineers have anxiety problems?

Not OP, but I;m about to graduate from EE/CS double major

They're starting me at 75K, what's my salary in 5 years ya think?

Depends entirely on where you are in the country. I work in a midsized city in the midwest and that is a very fair starting salary. It would be shit on the coasts.

Take it, network with people, find a better offer and move up the ladder

Every engineer wants to kill themselves if that's what you mean

That's the consequence of being intelligent and seeing the world as a bunch of idiots

sad truth smh

A job offer and you haven't even taken your EIT yet?

It's a big company and there doesn't seem to be room to move up much- it's also defense so not sure if that will help or limit me

Defense, well you will spend 80% of your time doing paperwork rather than engineering. Still, just use it for a job to show you have work in the field. No one wants to take some idiot fresh out of daycare and teach them what the real world is. Get a year or two in and see what options there are once you have some otj experience

Thanks for the help man. Good luck to you too

you're a still faggot though, so don't thank me

Engineering IS 80% paperwork, pretty much everywhere. Whenever there's math to do, the CAD software does it for you. Most everything is built from parts you buy from a vendor, which is essentially looking through spec catalogs and filling out purchase orders. You can't get paid unless you fill out the project plan, timecards and deliverable reports. School completely ignores what the majority of the job really is.

This

Source: MechE.

what are they offering OP? If they are offering 60k or more, take it. If not, tell them to fuck off. Assuming you mean BS, not MS

But I thought I was gonna graduate and become Nikola Tesla - working alone in my lab late at night, eschewing wimmin and their wiles, inventing radio and talking to pigeons with laserbeam eyes - only to die penniless and alone because capitalism.

That sounds like shit. Good thing I left engineering. Lab work and medicine is much more fulfilling to me than working in a fucking doritos factory or some other dumb shit like that.

a friend of mine did the same degree course and lives in London, took him a year to find related work. just take the fucking job, there will likely be very few, if any,places that will offer to people with no experience

I'm not saying you can't or won't do cool stuff, but this idea of the lone wolf guy running back and forth between the 3d printer, CAD station and space X launch pad is total fiction. It takes dozens or hundreds of engineers to make something cool these days. And the reality of that situation is that it takes a shitload of infrastructure, paperwork, management and compliance around that to make it happen.

Building the cool product is about 10-20% of the work. The rest is documentation, procurement, regulation compliance -- all the shit you have to do to actually manufacture and sell something.

I hear you, but the engineering program I was in was preparing me to work in either of 2 industries: food production/processing or the petroleum industry.
Neither of which sounded appealing to me, and now that I think about it would be even worse if 90% of my job involved paperwork and nothing else.

MECE here with 2 Co-Ops under the belt (NASA and Loreal).

Why go straight for starting positions. Getting Co-OPs and Internships is a hella lot better than heading straight into the rabbit hole.

I just had to deny Cummins, NASA (again), Lockheed Martin (Full time), and Ford (full time), all to do a Disney Imagineering internship this summer.

2 things I wish I could go into

do not ever tell someone that you have another job offer UNTIL they offer. Once they give out your offer, then say "well, I have another job offer for X amount with Y benefits, but I really like the look of this company" then if you are worth it they will counter offer with more.

DO NOT SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT.

I don't know a lot about the food industry but I always thought it was boring shit. You're never going to do anything groundbreaking or even remotely innovative f you work in it.
With the oil industry, yes you can make a shitload of money, but it's also a very fickle industry that depends way too much on the price per barrel. On downturns like we are now they either stop hiring completely, shit on starting salaries, and sometimes even let go workers and engineers. It's shit.
They also work your ass off on good years. I'm talking 12+ hour workdays.

??? accept the job and keep looking for another ???

for an electrical engineer you sure are dumb

It's called being autistic. Most engineers are.
>source: engineer for 5 years now.

i'm teaching myself electrical engineering and i'm not autistic

Shit, bittersweet shit right here, I'm also graduating from Electrical Engineering in Mexico and job opportunities pretty much suck. I'm trying to get into some big company like GE or Siemens cause they pay good and I LIKE TO THINK that they have kind of cool jobs where you actually design and/or test shit (currently looking for a position in something related to PV or Wind), and because salaries are not all that bad.

But hell. If my job feels meaningless I might as well shoot myself in the fucking head man. It's so sad that engineers' jobs have been reduced to bureaucratic meaningless shit.

I wish I could be a musician or a writer but living off those trades is pretty much like winning the lottery.

I just hope AI and robots take our jobs so we can watch the world burn because of the subsequential economic holocaust

>teaching myself electrical engineering
kek. Are you actually in a university setting? Or are you looking at youtube videos and fucking around with arduino sets

Chasing dreams is overrated. Most people who take a lot of wild risks or try to find that "perfect" job end up unhappy. Be practical, take the job if it pays well, you can always keep your eyes open for other opportunities. One way or the other this is probably not where you'll be working for the rest of your life.

i'm on the khan academy

Fuck you're gay. This coming from an ee. You are a very gay, whiny, entitled millennial.

Honestly that's not bad. I can't really make fun of you, since college professors (at least in my school) are faggots that couldn't teach a 4 year old how to tie his shoes. University is 99% teaching yourself shit and the rest are probably TAs.

Grow the fuck up you little shit. It's hour life run it yourself. Christ, how the hell do you expect to be a geer if you can't manage little aspects of your life. Ha ha. A fucking new grad bitching he doesn't like the work. Holy shit.

/thread

>It's hour life
>how the hell do you expect to be a geer
I keked

>/threading your own post
Mad engineering school reject detected.

This. I had excellent and inspiring professors for the first 5 semesters and then they all got shitty. I'm on my last semester and ALL of my professors are frustrated pieces of shit who aren't even able lift their sorry asses from their chairs and talk about relevant shit. I decided not to do a Master's because fuck, why would I want to spend 2 more years surrounded by such a shitty, depressive and demotivating atmosphere?

Came here to post this exactly.