/prod/ - Production General

previous thread

Rock'n'Roll edition

/Production/ Resources:

>Mixing and Mastering:
ESSENTIAL Mixing Masterclass with Bob Power: youtu.be/cHxMsawJsTc
Mixing Engineers Handbook: mega.nz/#!YUkgCJpR!bTX1gzqhD7fozTipk4XsRNiWQmHQXBx0T4pHMRvaURw
The Secret of the Mastering Engineer, Bob Katz: mega.nz/#!ZAE2EBCb!r0Hf0gho8pL7BlBJ6-6rJznB9SEhCG31NzNJUJX34tU
Audio Engineering and Acoustics ebook bundle: mega.nz/#!wEVAVbgB!hwd7vmzaZ9C6wAnVbqIQt37pNUpfpn0t2ecSjZGRNe4
(Bobby Owsinski - The Mixing Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Recording Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Mastering Engineer's handbook 4th edition. Timothy Dittmar - Audio Engineering 101, William Moylan - The Art of Recording, F. Alton Everest - Master Handbook of Acoustics, Rod Gervais - Home Recording Studio: Built It Like The Pros, 2nd Edition, Philip Newell - Recording Studio Design

>Theory and Composition:
Music theory for musicians and normal people:
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
tl:dr Music Theory:
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic

>Synthesizers and synthesis:
www48.zippyshare.com/v/20999348/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=NMF8F9z7Zr8
beausievers.com/synth/synthbasics/
analogindustries.com/b1764/

Free VSTs:
bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/12/29/free-vst-plugins-2014/
Other VSTs:
pastebin.com/cCA5in17

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/jivc4u4k
clyp.it/rgznodfj
clyp.it/w4mzpazp
soundcloud.com/samuelcfaria/wild-world/s-dDwm3
clyp.it/dhdqwq22
clyp.it/mskv0fwf
vcvrack.com/
clyp.it/si2x5ufn#
clyp.it/hvt2ohrq
clyp.it/3slrusv4
clyp.it/2zt0q3hy
clyp.it/ilrbpmlr
clyp.it/sx5ddcdi
clyp.it/25ribanu
clyp.it/5igzhsqn
clyp.it/wqjyxif4
clyp.it/2wqesy1s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Melodyne vs ReaTune

How do I perfect my drums?

melodyne of course

why

tune them properly, mic according to your room, use your ears, don't overcompress

Is this bass performance worth editing?

clyp.it/jivc4u4k

no I mean for hip hop. I should've been more specific

full polyphony, multitrack editing unifying multiple instances into one overview making shit easy
also you can even operate it if you're completely tone deaf and get a basically artifact-free result because the algorithm is fucking magic and nothing even comes close

why bother, i get natural results with reaper, just by drawing the pitches on the timeline

that's cool, you wanted to know if melodyne is better though. which it is

i still think its not pratically better, can you explain it again sonically and interfaceally

Seems like this has even more highs than modern shimmery stuff, is it that bad?

clyp.it/rgznodfj

I'm okay with you thinking so. you can check the features yourself

ah ok fine bye

yes, it's practically unlistenable. also I can hear your pitch correction without heaving the headphones on

Fuck, will back off the highs a bit then
Theres no pitch correction on it though

the 'la's in the beginning sound fake as fuck, what ever you did to it

maybe his reatune algorithm isnt so good a-ha

no

what do you mean by full polyphony? correcting stereo stuff? or chords?

yes it is, dont talk shit

chords, it splits up into the single voices of your chord, even across instruments that are being recorded simultaneously or just spilling over

very cool ill be less resistant and check it out

you would have to edit every single note. just play it again and count.

I wouldn't do it

i dont mind editing it to the grid. im more concerned if it has cool licks on it
that recording is from early this year and i lost that drive for bass stuff

>im more concerned if it has cool licks on it
not really.

thanks for your opinion man

welcome

ha

yeah i did pitch correct it.
is this one better/more expressive?
clyp.it/w4mzpazp
if so, i'll re-record the first verse for that full-band mix, in this style

I like how there must be 1000 mixes of that mediocre cover by now. It's just not good. Delete and go on.

lol i think its fine, wont delete it.

you are quite the crazy

for thinking that cover is decent?

Im new to this, im using ableton and logic pro X, are the instruments included in Logic good enough or nah?
If nah Can you rec me some good synth and percussion libraries, mainly for experimental hip hop.

The instruments in logic look shit, but are actually really good. Doesn't logic now have alchemy in their arsenal? That's probably the best bundled synth to get free with a DAW and worth the price of logic on its own

beware: below is a link to a fine production

soundcloud.com/samuelcfaria/wild-world/s-dDwm3

there is literally a soundcloud thread up right now for this shit nigger

go the fuck away

so, Superior Drummer 3 is out
is it the mightiest drums vst today

haha triggered

i'm producing fine with EZDrummer 2, will stick with it, thanks.

Really rough, but here's two clips from today. Any constructive criticism is welcomed, they're pretty raw at the ends sorry.

clyp.it/dhdqwq22
clyp.it/mskv0fwf

how can I separate tracks from an already mixed song?

this looks pretty cool and it is free havent gotten to try it out yet though vcvrack.com/

48khz vs 96khz recording?

44.1khz i enoug

why that busy interface with cables instead of just stacking one in front of the other

96kHz sample rate is great if you have mics capable of capturing 48kHz audio, and amp/speaker setups capable of reproducing it without intermodulation distortion.

48kHz sample rate is plenty unless you're making music for dolphins.

Recommend me similars to the Virtual Mix Rack and maybe other Slate Digital products

Reaper > abysm > Cubase

fuck cubase trash

delet this

>he doesn't use FL Studio

you mean that toy for kids to make beats? ah i used it once, whats your point?

>he doesn't make beats

played with this a bit and thought it sounded ok. pretty sure the "audible" expansion is required, I couldn't figure out how to stack cables, it looks like you need the mult.

Is there a better Analog stuff plugin than the virtual mix rack

how the fuck do I learn to program breakcore drums?

wtf is breakcore

clyp.it/si2x5ufn#

hey, lateposting again

Two songs I've been working on for an ambient EP I started. Plan to have a lot more. Any thoughts or critiques to these songs?

clyp.it/hvt2ohrq

clyp.it/3slrusv4

Are the highs fine now? Not too shimmery, not muddy?
clyp.it/2zt0q3hy

ya can't

I just bought my first modules for my never-ending journey of eurorack. What have I done?

Be strong user I've not bought a module for over 3 months now

I recommend you switch to a diet of ramen and baked beans to cut down on living expenses.

Bomb 20 inspired song I started. Thoughts or critiques?

clyp.it/ilrbpmlr

Did someone say dolphin

Can't listen 'cause sibilance

I can't EQ it out of my MS20 without sacrificing the highs of the synth. Unless you guys know how to get the hiss out, though, I kind of like it and it doesn't bother me.

get a de esser you ding dong, fab filter or nova preset. SACRIFICE YOUR HIGHS, highs are terrible 3kh to I don't know 8 or 10khz or beyond, no one wants to much of that

I'm genuinely surprised these threads are still a thing

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Thanks my boy, will try and use that. Anyone know why the MS20 creates a hissing sound?

it can sense you're a fag and is lisping to relate

Is this your setup?

Yes, this is where I do music.

well samuel is trying his best to take them over completely but we're not dead yet

this is a compilation of tunes I've made recently. what do you think - any major issues?

clyp.it/sx5ddcdi

Somewhat inherent to the design of the amp I think.

bump

hows the highs and the lows, friendos?
clyp.it/25ribanu

reference
clyp.it/5igzhsqn

>clyp.it/hvt2ohrq
imo bassline gets noticeably repetitive half way through. adding another synth part to layer in might help shift the focus away from it... or what if you changed root notes once it gets to the part when everything else drops out?

>clyp.it/3slrusv4
this sounds more complete than the previous. last half of the song is great, the pitch bend creates a cool detuned effect with the reverb. If anything to comment on, a couple of the pitch bends in the first half sound like they stay in the 'bad' range too long, but could be from the synth being so dry

good stuff here user.

The UAD plugins are a bit better, but you need a UAD interface to use them or a separate unit.

Though nothing beats Slate Virtual Tape machine aside from real 2inch tape

any tips on making this sound more industrial? should i kill the high pitch bleeps in the chorus?

clyp.it/wqjyxif4

>Though nothing beats Slate Virtual Tape machine aside from real 2inch tape

How does the slate tape plugin compare to the Kramer or J37 by waves?

literally who

can someone please let me know how this is sounding through his speakers

clyp.it/2wqesy1s

heres reference
clyp.it/5igzhsqn

I think the distortion/tape sim or whatever you used sounds like ass and makes it sound both harsh and muddy at the same time

blame slate digital not me

the analog plugins on the master are really low and well below the distorting level, though, i dont know if thats the actual reaso for it to sound harsh and muddy

might come from the mix already, no idea if it's a mastering issue or not, I can just state what I'm hearing

>he posted it again
>blame slate digital not me
>blames plugins unironically

make some decisions for yourself wtf do you not have monitors or something

yeah i understand
yeah i did make use of saturation on stuff. these plugins really make stuff punchy and loud. but i use them on parallell so it shouldnt be sounding saturated so badly

take everything down to 20% of what you're doing and go from there, make it sound balanced and clean first and then see if it might benefit from a slight touch of saturation

takes way too long to build up honestly

i'd say work on the drum sounds more.... idk what your standard is for "industrial" but this sounds pretty soft

i can't mix without these analog plugins, i need them to get stuff to sound right

>it's not sounding right
>i need them to sound right

yes you can

some user said once that my drums were better when i reuploaded it and what i did was just add some saturation. the eq was basic