/daily/ - "Insanely Experienced Turkish Migrants"

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

On the last episode of /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_dillards/wheatstraw_suite/
rateyourmusic.com/release/single/kyu_sakamoto/sukiyaki___anoko_no_namae_wa_nantenkana/
wetransfer.com/downloads/c3000ec7834dd50e1c30f0cb0e68ac3220170911173539/3cb7de
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

haha stick is so slow

fuck

so wait
which one is the real listenalong

pick and choose haha
i went for the torts one

Haven't posted here in 2 months. What's everyone been listening to?

my taste is pretty bland atm honestly

Kinda surprised Big Black isn't on mine too though, prob because i listen to the CD most of the time

This is the correct listenalong my bad.

Blame transgod for telling me to post mine yesterday. I'll post it again later.

Woops.

also oops that's supposed to be a 4/10

whoever adds next pls fix.

Hey man you won the mixtape tourney
So did s
So I'm gonna listen to your faves
What are 8 of your favorite records (ideally, that I can stream on yt or spotify)

What rn, any but ween or opn, and no jazz

You should listen to the animal collective or the fleet foxes

lirurgy

ok, SJ then fleet foxes then lirurgy

oh nice, when did you finish it?

Robbie Basho - Visions of the Country
Gang of Four - Entertainment!
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
The Stooges - Fun House
Townes van Zandt - S/T or Live at the Old Quarter, prob go for the Live one if you can be bothered listening to a double LP
Spacemen 3 - The Perfect Prescription
The Velvet Underground & Nico
Neil Young - On The Beach

not exactly an obscure list so just gimme a shout if you need others, and i assume they're streaming

Since i just got into The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, and CCR recently, what are some other quintessential 60s bands or albums I've probably been sleeping on?

United States of America, dude
Asylum Choir
The Index
all Nuggets bands

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_dillards/wheatstraw_suite/

rateyourmusic.com/release/single/kyu_sakamoto/sukiyaki___anoko_no_namae_wa_nantenkana/

sukiyaki is one of my fav songs ever

Oh boy. In a similar vein, a lot of this carries over into early 70s...

-Grateful Dead, first and foremost. I have an endless supply of live recs...
-Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young and offshoots
-More summer of love Haight-Ashbury projects (like Electric Music for the Mind and Body by Country Joe & The Fish, Happy Trails by Quicksilver Messenger Service, Cheap Thrills by Big Brother & Holding Company)
-Bobby Charles - s/t
-The Band/The Last Waltz
-Donovan
-Jackson Browne
-Little Feat

Already heard USA (decent), Index (fuckin great, though the magic has been slightly damaged by some of their best songs are 'just' byrds covers) Been adding the rest of the Nuggets bands I've not listened to too. Dunno why I've not listened to some of these bands before though with how much i love psych and garage.

Asylum Choir sounds good, got any other recs? Feel motivated to listen to a lot of new music for once.

progressive bluegrass lmao, will check it out

sukiyaki is really nice as well. has it been in a movie, sure I've heard it somewhere before

>Foetus - Flow
>Industrial Rock + Swing
I knew I was in for something weird, after the contrast between the first and second tracks. The swingy tracks pair with emotive vocals ala Clarence Clarity, but much clearer. Whether he's on a jaunt of constant mishaps under the Grace of God, glowering alongside the climax mystery movie on Suspect, or simply wailing to hard rock, this album is almost a surreal trip. Never dulled out during its listening, which is a start for older industrial.

7/10

>Damien Dubrovik - Vegas Fountain
>Death Industrial, Noise, Ambient
Lets up on the noise in the B-Side, where it's more Dark Ambient. Not many thoughts on this, but not bad. Great Many Arrows felt like the more powerful sequel.

6/10

>Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport
>Psychedelic Noise Techno
There isn't any other group that I found quite as appealing as Fuck Buttons, when it comes to thick, roaring techno. Paired with their knack at editing vocal samples into competent hooks and bubbly synth backdrops, it's like listening to a Punished Dan Deacon. It's probably their melodies that make them much more accessible, which also justifies their track lengths-- even when their playfulness is a step away from the righteous anger.

8/10

she ask why u gotta put bread on it
i said bitch i have to put bread on it

Hello all you bleepers, I strongly recommend you all to listen to Skream's new EP, Face Down In The Water. Really cool techno and every track is fucking sick, possibly aoty for me (or epoty)

This is my last 3 months of listening

What do you think of ▣世界から解放され▣?

hannah d and maus

SEX WITH CAR
SEX ON TOP OF CAR
SEX INSIDE OF CAR
SEX WITH MOVIE STAR
SEX WITH RINGO STARR

It's genius, I legitimately was awestruck the first time I listened to it and just sat there and wondered what the fuck I was listening to

And yeah Hannah Diamond is perfect

I quite enjoyed it, but I find repetition to be relaxing. I just didn't like the song that was just street fighter spam.

Forgot to ask, how's the portishead album? It's been on my backlog for like 5 years now.

it's fucking GREAT thats how it is

way different from their earlier stuff though, so don't expect Dummy 2

I've actually never listened to them before; just heard the song "small" and really enjoyed it so I figured I would give them a listen.

If you enjoyed "Small" you'll probably enjoy the album! It's one of my all-time favorites but took a while to get into. Try it out and you'll probably find some tracks you like on it, then listen to it a couple more times if it doesn't click at first!

And yeah I agree with , it was kinda ok, nothing I'd relisten probably but the hate for that album is very undeserved in my opinions

ask for thoughts

also, what release should I listen to next?

how was winter sisters?

I don't know that Julius Eastman album...do that one. You've heard Unjust Malaise?

i gave in and am relistening to it
small town giiirllllllllllll

>popol vuh - in der garten pharaoh
first track is lame as heck, but the second track is fantastic. maybe there is something to this popol vuh is good thing and i just used to have bad taste back when i listened. i still have bad taste, but i used to too

>dead letters spell dead words - fall, fall, falling
so dead dead letters spell dedededead words does a hot new thing i've never heard before: noisy ambient! never thought of that one before huh.... but sometimes out of nowhere a band comes in and it's like post-rock jam band with a hiss in the foreground. good stuff though.

i only wrote a review to make a pun :))))

seconding this

is scorpio rising good? I've only seen fireworks and was fucking blown away

Slowly but surely, tourney update. More tomorrow.

>Various Artists - What Else Do You Do? (A Compilation of Quiet Music) (1990)

I can't figure out the theme here. "Quiet music" isn't accurate of course, because this is supposedly compiled by John Zorn and features some quite loud and abrasive tracks. "Outsider music" is closer but still not entirely descriptive because the weirdest part is how sweet and normal some of these pop songs are next to the less conventional, competent, etc. Daniel Johnston-style songs. And then there's also the third type of song here--modern compositions from Catherine Jauniaux and the like. Really, the theme might be an aesthetically delicious showcase of production. For a bunch of then-obscure musicians, the production choices are bafflingly phenomenal. Who knew something like this would be en vogue specifically 27 years later.

Naturally, some songs are more listenable than others. I'm admittedly at a place in my life where I prefer to listen to musicians that can play their instruments well and have an apparent knowledge of how to structure songs, so some simpler, more competent neo-psychedelia-leaning tracks like "Dual Control" or "The Invisible People" are more interesting to me.
6.5/10

Lucifer Rising is where it's at

$3.33 - Draft
>modern classical, post-minimalism

I can definitely say that I’ve never heard piano being played THAT fast before. The flurry of notes that this thing unleashes on the listener from the first seconds is disorienting at first, but eventually leads to some nice ambient textures and moments of IDM-like production hell. However, the sound is fairly one-note (except its a lot of different notes haha) and so the whole album sorta blurs together into one long piece with some good moments.

If the name of the album is to be taken literally and this is a draft for some more fleshed out compositions, I’d love to hear the final product because this is a really unique sound and I think it could be amazing if it had a little more focus.

3.5-

i was about to tell you it sucked but then i noticed you were talking about a movie and not the jay daniel EP

>However, the sound is fairly one-note (except its a lot of different notes haha)
haha!

all music is quiet music if i play it low enough

would recommend more from 3.33. heard two albums. she's no one trick pony. check out "I need some good rap music for my car.?" when you can.
also do loose fur.

It is a surprisingly competent album. I was expecting a half-baked set of demo tapes, but what I got was a collection of songs that felt complete. The album's biggest strength is it's developed instrumentation. The techniques used to create the album's atmosphere felt organic.

My biggest pitfall with this album is with it's core ideas. There are some decent songwriting here and there, but Jordaan failed to keep the album's longer runtime fresh. I would even go as far as to say that the various instrumental interludes are completely expendable.

It's true, that should be the second subtitle

I love Unjust Malaise

It's the most oppressive and theatrically dark modern classical album I've ever listened to. I especially adore the piano series, as Eastman's additive theory gives the monolithic pieces a lively, evolutionary feel to them.

I will check out Feminine next.

You should listen to Lubomyr Melnyk - KMH (I prefer the remastered version)

Agreed. I love it. Perfect exercise in close listening, the cycles of emotion "Stay On It" can go through with just one simple loop. Gets the essence of minimalism.

>it's fucking GREAT thats how it is
Marry me you fucker

>no Priscilla or Paris is Burning on the movie section
I'm gayer than you and I have a girlfriend

Yarn - Self Titled and Bepбнa нeдiля

Bepбнa нeдiля has a nice atmosphere but the self titled album takes that atmosphere, improves on it, and is much more catchy at the same time too. its a lot more warm and dense and full sounding than Bepбнa нeдiля and it impacts me more strongly. there's not much here to grab onto in Bepбнa нeдiля, which probably isn't a fault of the music, but just a personal preference of mine. chalk it up to me gradually regressing(?) from listening to a large amount of unmelodic stuff back into preferring catchier melodies these days. i think they were just going for something else.

self titled 7/10 very nice definitely will be listening more
Bepбнa нeдiля 5/10 not bad

>oh nice, when did you finish it?
Check back a couple of threads, I wrote a few words.
Heard Basho, velvet underground, and psychocandy

hey lamb

yo how risky is it to use soulseek on campus wifi

lmao i asked this the other week
all responses said it was fine, and i've been now using it for a couple weeks with no issues

this, just don't go overboard with it

This is a really good post

>I'm admittedly at a place in my life where I prefer to listen to musicians that can play their instruments well and have an apparent knowledge of how to structure songs
Yeah I'm surprised you liked that comp as much as you did then

That kind of stuff is my lifeblood

Whenever I see one of your scores I think it's nat and I get startled by the high rating. Quit spooking me

Scooby Cave lol

talking's for wimps

i've been using it no prob

if you're really paranoid get a vpn or just use a starbucks wifi or smthn

Янкa - Пpoдaнo! (1989)
>singer/songwriter

The grimy noise rock sound of Aнгeдoния is really special, and this definitely lacks that, but the songwriting still thoroughly shines. Sound stagnates a bit more here, everything consisting simply of Yanka and her guitar (plus Letov on a track or two), yet she still manages to give the album a distinctly unique sonic pallette with her intriguing, powerful vocals and her varied slate of influences. New musical obsession, easily.

3.0+

Aphex Twin - drukqs (2001)
>IDM

James' forays into impressionism are really damn impressive. "Avril 14th" is the obvious highlight, and it's a beautiful pieces, but this whole album has a wealth of beautiful, singular impressionism pieces that take the piano to new, weird places. The IDM is a bit under what should be expected of James. "Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michaels Mount" is easily one of his best tracks, sure, and it's much more organic and natural-sounding than his other works, but that's where it loses me, it lacks the unique, robotic nature of his best records. Certainly worth a listen for any Aphex fans, but it's definitely not his best work.

3.0-

Kendrick Lamar - Section.80 (2011)
>west coast hip hop, conscious hip hop

Kendrick comes out of the gate with all cylinders firing. Even on his debut, his rapping skills are still unparalleled. He uses the goofy voices less than he does on his later works, which is a plus, and he's got such a youthful energy to him that's really contagious. That triplet flow towards the end of "HiiiPoWeR" has got to be one of his crowning moments. The production never quite matches up with him, though. There are shades of the jazzy sound he would later perfect on To Pimp a Butterfly, and they're done incredibly well, but they have to compete for time with a pretty lame, poppy R&B-type sound that does nothing to compliment Lamar's talents, all while being uninteresting taken alone. Despite it's flaws, it's a very solid album.

2.5+

why do i see bishopboy1999, begbegbegbeg, and yoozycutie on every rym page i visit

*yoozy_cutie

new wave of poseurs

>The IDM is a bit under what should be expected of James
you actually like the IDM of Richard D. James Album more? I found the electronic tracks here way more powerful, though I admit I always found Taking Control one of his weaker tracks. but fuckin Ziggomatic man
>it lacks the unique, robotic nature of his best records
organic homegrown rich >>> robo rich

rdj album is one of my favorite albums ever, i think it blends the organic with the robotic perfectly. drukqs's IDM just stays in organic mode and i think it's a bit blander, save for some really great tracks

how u doin kings

>i think it blends the organic with the robotic perfectly
That's exactly what I think about drukqs, i guess my definition of robotic is different

oh no poor jimbo

btw someone sent me some supposed early fishmans live recordings. One from 1988 and one from 1991. No clue where he got it from but it's very possible that the former is one of the earliest recordings of the band but I have no way of knowing atm. The earlier recording is sorta iffy quality and 100% material I'm not familiar with. The latter is early-era Fishmans I know (minus the song at 17 minutes in) and the recording is even worse:

wetransfer.com/downloads/c3000ec7834dd50e1c30f0cb0e68ac3220170911173539/3cb7de

In the 1988 recording ite singer sounds /kinda/ like Shinji at parts + he refers to them as Fishmans at the end but I'm not 100% sure. Also it is their earlier stuff so it's possible Kin-Ichi or Ojima are singing on a few tracks. Definitely sounds more like their earlier dub-y sound but with some funk + cowpunk influence and in a way is more heavy + active than their earlier material. Certainly more interesting than most of Chappie and at times reminds me of King Master George. Early recording is a high rec but the 1991 version is a hard pass.

For Marissa Nadler fans mostly but I'm sure lots will enjoy it. Has some nice jazzy fills here and there

For a while there I would search "1968 full album" on YouTube, usually gave some cool stuff. Grapefruit, Gun, Five Day Week Straw People, Gandalf, Fear Itself, etc etc etc

fishmans?
FISHMANS????
FISHMANSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
no.
NO.
NO!
NO!!!!!!!
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NONOONONONONONONONO
NO.
no.....
n-no....

this isn't happening..... no... geeh..... grrreh.... grrrrr......
gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
grr.... heehhhh... grrrarrr... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrAAAAaaaahhhhh.....

grgrggrrrRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOO PLEASE NO PLSNO PLS PLS NOOOOOO AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA THIS CANT HAPPPENNNIIIIIIIIIINNNGGGGGGGG AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY GOD, WHY GOD, WHY GODDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA CALL AND AMBULANCEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!'

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEeeeeeehhhh...................... ehhhhheeeeEEEAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa....

haaaaa.... heeeeeeeeeeehhh..................*pant* aaaahhhhh.......... aaaaaaaaaahhhh.... aaaaaa..............

ggrrRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NOOOOOOO NONONONOON UWHYWHYWHYWHY WHY WHY NONONONONONO WHY HAS GOD FORESAKEN US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WWWHHHHYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARARARRARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaa......

Xander Harris - Cry Havoc / Heathen Birth
Was not memorable to me whatsoever. Not to mention, it isn't made very good. The artist might be a decent synth player, but judging from this single, his composition skills are rather weak. The transitions are sloppy, there's too much sounds which don't go very well with each other and the suspense is built rather poorly. However, when he sticks to the gradual pace and more calm and gloomy mood it doesn't sound so bad ("Cry Havoc"), but it gets pretty boring after a while. I suppose the artist should have solved this problem in some other way rather than adding poor "cheerful" synths ("Heathen Birth"), like maybe adding vocals or building up suspense with different instruments (like in Clark's "Herzog" there are kinda similar synths in the beginning). So I would say while his darker bits have potential, the disco part should go right in the trash in my opinion.

The Wytches - Wire Frame Mattress
It has everything to be a promising single - an unusual yet very fitting composition, emotional and powerful instruments and some really bold vocals. I like how it's mostly intense and devastated, yet not entirely. There were some things I wasn't that impressed with though - for me the drums were too inferior and insignificant. The music itself, while is definitely catchy, kinda reminds of something that already happened and some parts doesn't sound very original.

[1/2]

Jesu - Lifeline
I guess "Storm Comin' On" with Jarboe's vocals is supposed to be like controversial or something, but I simply did not like it. For me the vocals were shallow, not to mention how repetitive it gets and if in the beginning it's just kinda weak, it gets downright weird in the end with guitars and such. The s/t track and "You Wear Their Masks" bear the same recipe, yet it works for me - chill mellow music with clear yet aloof Broadrick's vocals on the background and some kinda heavy dissonant sounds (a rather familiar shoegaze element) so as to not make songs sound too sweet. Unfortunately, "End Of The Road" loses this balanced dissonance leaving just the weight of the guitars and along with the "megaphone" vocals it really does sound cheap as hell.

[2/2]

bump

this rules

mmmmmmmmm
and it's cold outside

the making of the first
BRITISH MAAAARTYYYYR

Good-day /daily/. Tried the following albums as of recent;

>Skyforger - Zobena Dziesma. This is an interesting pagan metal album that largely circulates around low-pitched chanting and folk-styled instrumentals, the metal aspect is surprisingly tame though adds a nice degree of edge to keep the album thrilling in some respects.
>Skyforger - Senprusija. The overall progression in tempo and structure seemed more linear compared with Zobena Dziesma though it was still a great record, had far more of a emphasis on the rugged, sludge-slated guitar melodies than it did the folk aspect which I wasn't overly keen though was still ultimately impressive.

Really, its approximately 20 degrees Celsius here presently and within the room around 70% relative humidity, rather comfortable. I hope that you are wrapping up warm then for the rest of the day to ensure that you do not catch a cold and as to quote John Steinbeck "What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.". Enjoy the peripheries of your day user and the months shall look after themselves, all the best!

How interesting user.

>Cassy - Panorama Bar 01
I guess Berghain techno is just far better than Berghain house. The mixing here is top class and there's some nice tracks here or there but ultimately this mix just falls short. I've never been too huge on 'tech-house' as a genre and this hasn't really changed my mind on that at all. The Shackleton opener is great and sets the tone nicely but it fails to keep me interested throughout the middle.

>Prince of Denmark
I love everything I've heard this guy do. This one isn't as good as his This is Not mix under DJ Metatron but it's still fantastic. The tracks are minimal and the subtle mixing make this release almost hypnotic. I think all of this is made up of original material some of which are on his LP from last year and this mix is making me excited to check that out.

Hey /daily/!

The boss of the factory I'm assisting today looks like Jandek in a wig. Scary.

I think I will start going through Neil Young's discography. I listened to his greatest hits long time ago in college but it's been a while.
>mfw

is that him? i dont see the resemblance

No, that's me reading the comment

Neil Young is great. Relistening to that long lost album of his that just came out, reviewing later today

>Daily is for first impression reviews
I heard End of the Century by the Ramones and it rocks!!! I never heard the Ramones before (besides their biggest hit) I don't like the vocals too much, but the wall of sound makes the album go higher!!! Phil Spector IT'S. JUST. A. GENIUS!!!!

I also need to update you in my journey in transgod's core, there are some surprises there.

I expected to like more "Y"
Need to relisten pretty sure.

I want to hear my teenage dream ended, it's any good?

Industrial Rock + Swing??
I need that album in my life!!!

The sheena ringo album is higher to me.

The patty water sings... idk, the last track is a complete beast, i love it, but i still don't get the rest of the it.

Have you heard King Tears Bat Trip? Can you describe it for me? please!!

>Can you describe it for me? please!!

It's very very good. Constant, almost ritualistic afrobeat rhythms act as a heartbeat for the music while some really incredible sax work does everything from blues-spiritual themes to really avant-sounding squeals and screams. It's very exciting and driving on a visceral level which is sometimes a rare quality in experimental jazz.

oh my gooood

I'm situated 0,7 miles away from Pier Paolo Pasolini's resting place apparently

I'm pretty excited, yes. The archival release was what got me to listen to all his stuff desu

>Phil Spector IT'S. JUST. A. GENIUS!!!!
on the other hand it's still the Ramones he's producing

Are you listening to Ossia? Or Farmer in the City?

Both

i've got into neil young massively in the past few months, guy's an incredible songwriter.

didn't even know that had come out now, got upset when it was delayed a while ago

funny post

i'll tell you when i listen to it

ross from friends is playing by me at the end of the month but my only pal into lofi meme house is, do i get my hip lofi cred and go alone or leave it and save ££?

go to show m8! I will see you there!

your only pal into lofi meme house is what?

is away*
fuck