At what point does it go from binge drinking, to full blown alcoholism?

At what point does it go from binge drinking, to full blown alcoholism?

I work 3 days a week, straight through, 72 hours, then I go home for 4 days (usually). I can’t drink when I’m at work, but on my nights off I’m drunk at least 3 out of 4 nights.

Sometimes I’m stuck at work for 20-30 days and can’t drink at all then obviously.
But the moment I get off, it’s to the store for beer.

Am I an alcoholic Sup Forums?

No, but it's still bad for your health. Consider cutting back.

But I really like it. But I hate going to bed and waking up feeling like shit.

I don’t drink hard liquor or anything. Just beer.

i dunno man, do you sit at home by yourself just drinking?

Sometimes, like yesterday I did.

Usually I’m at my girlfriends house, or out with her.

She drinks a lot too. So that’s probably a problem.

honestly, if it doesn't affect your relationships, either girlfriend, family or friends, i woulnd't worry. i'm just a loner giving his 2 cents, though

so you drink 3 times a week and its just beer? its literally nothing.

These are the signs when drinking turns into alcoholism:

1) Drinking alone or in secret.
2) Being unable to limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
3) Losing interest in activities and hobbies that used to bring pleasure.
4) Feeling the need or compulsion to drink.
5) Irritability when your usual drinking time nears, especially if alcohol isn’t available.
6) Keeping alcohol in unlikely places at home, at work or in the car.
7) Having legal problems or problems with relationships, employment or finances.
8) Experiencing physical withdrawal symptoms.

From what you've said, I can only conclude #2 and #4. You would know the rest. There's a wide spectrum of "functioning alcoholics", but it really boils down to whether you could stop if you wanted to. Not just saying it, but actually trying to go off the sauce for an extended period (say, a month) and observing how you and your body behave. I would draw the line of full-blown alcoholism where it's fucking up your health and your relationships and you still can't stop.

you're a truck driver that enjoys beer and you miss it when you are otr, so you binge to compensate when you are back home

unhealthy, yes
alcoholic, doubtful

I mean, there are times when because I’m at work, I won’t drink for like 2-4 weeks.

So I guess I’m not an alcoholic, just a drunk.

I consider myself on that functioning alcoholic spectrum. I drink a lot to relieve stress and medicate anxiety/depression. It sounds like if you work 72 hours straight there's probably some job stress involved. I'll go several days or maybe a couple weeks without, but I'll always be back at the liquor store and I drink to get as drunk as possible, but not so much I'd get in trouble with my wife. So I'll drink a bottle of wine or 3 strong IPAs, but space it out over an evening so I don't look or sound more than buzzed. I'd prefer getting stoned TBH, but as I have kids, might get drug-tested

who the fuck drinks by themselves that sounds boring as hell

i do, atleast 3-4 times a month depending on my mood. mostly just to get my mind off shit an evening before work

Expect a beer gut

Binge drinking is a type of alcoholism.

And if you’re binge drinking it’s too late. Either quit or accept it.

Well you're what they call a functioning alcoholic. That you're still seeing friends and going to work is an excuse to keep drinking. Watch out because it's a slippery slope. Some people keep it up all their lives but your body will always catch up with you. It's not good for you! You probably read this and think, I'll keep that up. That's the wrong thought.

It's like smoking: everyone knows it's not good for you, but people still do it. That is called addiction.

..And if you're binge drinking it's too late...
you feeling ok, dude?

I did it from 28-31. stopped one night that I went from Baltimore to waking up in DC without anything. I'm 32 now. Of course cocaine, oxys, were also involved. But I did drink 247. 1-2 dipas before work. 2-3 lunch and a six pack after work religiously

fuck man... if you don't mind me asking, how did it start?

Well, I managed a bar. Gf back then, and I started to have massive issues. It was a combination of that and the freedom of being able to drink at the bar. Plus working part time at a brewery, I had alcohol at my disposal all the time.

Man as long as you aren't drinking and driving too drunk who fucking cares. Drink that shit up foo.

Protip: drink vodka at work because it doesn't smell as much when you exhale

i can see the availability being a problem... almost like i'm glad i'm working a "9-5" so i have to limit myself to when i can and can-not take another whisky, atleast for now

replay was meant for

Yeah that was my problem, once I took one shot of bourbon it was all down hill. Just take it easy, day at a time. Try to limit yourself. Trust me it's always a work in progress, I love beer and I miss drinking and snorting every day. But now I do it once every couple of weeks.

IPA's = estrogen (not kidding). Also OP, you know you're alcoholic don't you. In your heart you know. Do you want to quit or not, no more games.

its the only time i drink

And even then I force myself to "x" amount. 1-2 grams. No more than 6 beers. 1 oxy to sleep and feel good. Lol. Go home drink plenty of water, watch something funny on TV and pass out.

I don't drink in social settings, only alone. It's better that way.

You can always take it rectally, no smell

i would say living a life that miserable gives you a perfectly fine excuse to be an alcoholic

Sounds like you're a hardcore binge drinker... and a fat guy, almost certainly a fat guy.