Sup Forums I'm 22 never been to college, I don't make the kind of money I need. I want to go to college however...

Sup Forums I'm 22 never been to college, I don't make the kind of money I need. I want to go to college however, I'm in a crisis. I don't know what I want to do.

How did you figure out what you wanted to do in life?

Did you go to college?

This graph makes me think.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kC_RYgkkmcM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

College is how the jews take your money, teach you lies, and keep you in debt.

Fuck the globalist jews, lol. I need more money in my life!

The best bang for your buck is an associates degree and other community college certification programs. They take two years, have no admission process. and will cost less than $5000.

What current line of work are you in OP?

if you decided to go back to school, go to a tech college. i have my Bachelors in a fucking pointless field but it was what I thought i liked. Im going back to a tech college for an associates in robotic automation, it will beso much more usefull and about 1/10th the price

So, what sort of "career" could I get with those qualifications? anything above entry-level would be a hell of a lot better.
Two types of work appeal to me. I love computers and manual labor.

I got a bachelors degree in electrical engineering. I'd suggest choosing a field that's growing. Doesn't really matter if you like it or not. As long as your employed and have enough money it's all good in my opinion.

Did you go to trade school or a uni?

I will give you an example of what you may want to consider based on how old you are. I am 33. My brother is 31. My brother works as an engineer for a major tech company in silicon valley (It is a company you have heard of, think top 5-6 tech companies). My brother makes $190k per year. But he had to move there to make that kind of money and his rent on his apartment is over $5k per month. He is incredibly skilled at what he does. His family owns one small car. On average he works about 55-60 hours per week.

Another friend of mine is 34. He lives here in Southern California. He is a welder. Not just a auto shop welder, but during his 20s he was taking community college classes and getting certifications to weld certain things. First he took the basic classes to qualify for a $12 per hour job at a hitch company. Then while at work he would go to classes and get certifications.

For big projects the insurance companies require that employees have both experience and certifications. Lots of guys don't do this and they can't work on these projects. He got picked up by a large employer that does a lot of municipal fabrication where work must be impeccable and requires that workers are highly trained. After his benefits package, health insurance, 401k, he makes over $100k per year. He rarely works over 42 hours per week. His mortgage is $1300 per month. He didn't have to move away to get his job.

You can either study electronics or computer science, or you can become a tradesman: plumber, electrician... Doing manual labour with computers is retarded and doesn't get you any money, so pick your poison.

Drexel University Phili
Expensive AF. Piles of debt. But it's a CoOp school so I got 3 semesters of work experience while in college. Quite handy.

>Sup Forums I'm 22 never been to college
>How did you figure out what you wanted to do in life?

If you haven't figured that out by 22, you're probably fucked for life.
Sucks, but that's the way it goes.

>trade school
>for EE

No trade school for that my boy. But don't listen to this faggot.

You can make decent and even great money with a BSEE, but actually working as an engineer sucks balls 'cause Dinesh and ChingChong are willing to work all night all the time to make up for their incompetence. You need to get into the business side of tech to make real money.

College is a good way to start off your adult life in a fuck ton of debt with very few feasible jobs actually available to you
You should get a trade electricians make really good money like college tier money except without the soul crushing debt plus you can always become self employed if you want

Not really. I didn't figure it out til my 30s. Will be making over 100k in 5 years.

Thing that chart doesn't show, is the debt you have to pay off before actually making more.

>Will be making over 100k in 5 years.
LOL!
Yeah, I'll be rich and famous in 4 years.

Working as an EE sucks sometimes, but at the end of the day I'm happy with what I work on. And I couldn't be there without my BSEE.

The debt is only life crippling if you choose a dead end major. Other wise it's manageable.

Pls nao

i'm doing chemE and the median income for graduates from my school is around 80,000 a year.

i did an internship and earned about half the starting salary of a graduate.

its difficult as a fuck though and i sort of want to die. 2 years remaining.

try not to take out loans if you can help it. if you're a bit of a dumb cunt join the military and they'll help you out with education.

Take the time and get your MBA.

Trust a rich old fag.

Are you trying to fucking imply my gender studies degree might not end up paying off

Honestly, if you are all out of luck the military will at least give you a bed and meals if your will to shoot some Arabs. So I agree with user in that case.

I hope you’re sitting down...

I'd kill other humans. Plus, in the military can't I learn a skill?

You have a gender studies degree!! How big is your mansion?!?!?

the military is like 2% interesting shit, 2% horrifying shit, and 96% waiting around.

if you like welding humvees in the desert, the military is for you!

Also. For your long term wealth what you spend is far more important. There are lot sof people who make $100k-$200k but have such a high cost of living that they save very little. Case in point, my uncle was clearing $300k per year for five years but saved zero and invested zero. When things went south for his company he lost everything and is stuck in debt. He never thought the gravy train would end and was living large when he was on top.

A friend of mine works in business services. Probably clears $120k per year. Good money. But more importantly he is smart with it. Him and three of his friends go in and buy rental houses together. They show a combined income of $300k and can save up for a down payment very quickly. So they get a cheap ass loan. The renter pays the mortgage plus about $400 per month. That $400 gets rolled over to the next rental down payment. I think each dude saves like $500 and every two years they buy whatever rental property they can. The goal being that when they are 50 they will collectively own millions of dollars of property.

So really. What you make is big, but what you put your money into is bigger.

If you show initiative I imagine so. Not in the military so idk.

>military meme

kek
Just fucking to work at a factory or something to get paid. You will be able to learn and make connections with people who can teach you real life skills/ give you connections instead of just wanting to kys like most military memers do. Privates get paid S H I T

Listen up, idk what everyone else is telling you but I highly suggest you invest in Crypto Currency, Bitcoin & other coins are under priced. I've already made 40% in the past month from Bitcoin alone. Go ahead and waste money on a degree but if you really wanna make the money most ppl dream of invest. lmk if ur interested

glad you think that. your kind will die out quickly.

I'm trying to see if I can get my employer to pay for a masters. I don't think they would pay for an MBA. Maybe a managing degree though?

I don't know about figuring out what you want to do since I've always been interested in computers so it was not a hard decision for me, but once you do figure it out, you can start by going to community college. That's also a relatively cheap way to try out different types of things until you find something that you might like.

Do keep in mind that that chart you posted only really applies to useful degrees. A degree in gender studies, for example, will probably not lead to that kind of income growth.

get as much as possible done in community college. you can retake classes as much as you want, it costs 1/10 as much, and classes are small. pick up an extra certificate while you're there; i have a "technical writing certificate" which means i'm better than most journalists.

then, transfer to a university and be sure to apply for financial aid. you still have time so YOU BETTER FUCKING REGISTER WITH THE SELECTIVE SERVICE or you will not get federal aid or any federal job. i'm 40 and a russian immigrant and i ignored the notices growing up. it took two appeals and even a letter to the governor to get my aid. it was a fucking pain and i'm like a 1/100,000 exception.

then you get a few grand back every semester. don't take loans unless you're fucking stupid; just take the pell grant.

always, never forget to start your homework the DAY it is assigned. NEVER waste a day and think you have a week to get it done.

a mountain of flash cards and at least 30 minutes reviewing each course's recent materials every day.

if you do that, you might be a B student.

Don't listen to this gambling addict cuck OP. The house always wins.

definitely agree about the community college thing. figure out how credits transfer in your particular case. you can go to community college for your core classes, and transfer your credits to a respectable college and graduate with a degree from a big boy school without having to pay for four years of big boy school.

The useless degrees find their way into government bureaucracies where just by having a degree usually starts out an an extra $4+ per hour because people are paid according to a schedule.

My mother works for a county agency and she says its not uncommon to find someone works to get any degree they can because its an immediate major raise and every other raise will be bigger. Even if they hold a position that doesn't require it.

I did aircraft maintenance in the Air Force. Could've built off that experience after leaving with some pretty promising areas, but didn't like it.

It's not gambling if Bitcoin has been on a steady incline for years, if you know where to invest your money and learn how to out-cuck the ponzi schemes you'll make enough passive income to live a luxurious life

>government
Why am I not surprised?

Is military service an option?

Did you enjoy the Air Force? How many years did you serve? and Why didn't you like Aircraft maintence? Do you make decent money now?

I've honestly thought about doing this.

>Bitcoin
>steady
You can't fool me user. This is not your homely government issued bond. I prefer my investments to be guarantied.

kek

what the fuck is the second axis?

This, also make sure you visit your counselor a lot. Make them sick of seeing you, because if you slip up, they will not be there to get your ass out of the fire. Make sure you are taking the right classes at the right time and singing up for things on time if you plan on transferring. Depending on the area, some CC's don't get as much funding so that means less classes and less chances to make progress on your degree/transfer.

It's guaranteed by contract.

If people would quit being faggots, they would realize there is good money to be made without a degree.

Compensation, the units are probably not important because the focus is the difference between the two curves.

no investment is 100% guaranteed, the ones that are most likely to get a positive ROI are < 5% if anything

the difference could be 0.0001% for all we know
shit graph

>live a luxurious life
Alright m8 send us a time-stamped pic from within your mansion

Government bonds are 100% guarantied unless the United States government collapses. But very low interest rates.

The time to buy Bitcoin was years ago. First rule of business is buy low and sell high. Right now you are buying at an all time high when tons of other speculators are doing the same thing.

I once bought $700 of Bitcoin back when it was under $30 each. One paycheck. Back in 2011. I had the card in my hand ready to buy but didn't. 25 bitcoin. I would have cashed out long ago. Once you 10x your money the safest bet is to always cash out.

The Uni Route:
1) Learn to code OOP and scripting (don't need a degree for this)
2) Get a code monkey job
3) Do your pre-reqs for engineering at community (2 yrs)
4) Acquire undegrad in ChemE, CompE, or, EE (2-3 yrs)
5) Quit Code Monkey Job
6) Get engineering job with big(-ish) company
[bonus: want more money? Do defense]
7) Make company pay for MBA degree (1-2yrs), unless you're contempt with how much you'll be making in engineering, (71k-80k)

I can tell, both of you speak the truth. I want to take solid route, that's why I didn't attend college fresh out of high school in the first place. I needed to learn what life was really like before I went and got myself in a mountain of fucking debt. I'm trying to play my cards right early in life instead of fucking folding in by 40.

Bitcoins are the new Tulips

You can buy investment insurance if you are worried but it will remove most of the gains you have over like 6%.

that is engineering starting salary...

PS. your compE undegrad user

You're a smart man. I'm fine being a total tool for a company for a little while. Plus, my WPM is like 105. So, I could find a little use out of being a code monkey.

Yeah, do what every misguided fool does. Don't forget to tell him about how often he'll be laid off.

Your advice is almost a cliche, it's so bad.

You'll be fine. I went to CC straight out of high school. 10 years later, I just graduated from a UC with a Computer Science and Engineering degree this spring. The point is, you might think you're behind, but you'll still be doing pretty good. However, in order to not take 10 years like I did, do make sure to be on top of your game in CC. Its easy to just languish there, take a class or two a semester, lose focus, etc. Don't do that.

Not my fault your skills are easily replaceable and average at best.

20 years ago everyone was nuts over Beanie Babies. People bought them to sell to other people who would try to sell them. No one ever considered that this thing is just a fucking stuffed animal for some kid to play with. I had a cousin who sold them and she would tell me everyone who bought them from her was convinced that they could sell it for way more than they are paying for it. Some of them did and they became gambling addicts from it and kept buying more.

Congrats. Honestly, it takes a lot of dedication to get a degree. I've saw my friends have kids and drop out of school prior to achieving their goals.

As, I can see most routes are not solid in life. It's all according to how YOU want to live your life and what you want to do.

All I want is at least 40K and health insurance a year.

I enjoyed the Air Force, but I grew up in it, so it wasn't anything new to me being separated from family and surrounded by uniforms.

Was only in for 4 years to get my G.I. Bill. I wanted to be a full-time college student, and while I received 100% tuition assistance while I was enlisted, I could only do like 2 classes at a time between work, PE, etc.

Didn't like aircraft maintenance because because I overthought everything. I had the mentality of an engineer, not a mechanic - I never felt safe fixing things I didn't perfectly know inside and out. When I asked questions like, "why is this system wired this way?" I was told, "you don't need to know why it is the way it is - only how to fix it." This turned me into an anxious mess... would you trust someone to pack a parachute who couldn't even tell you how it worked, or why it had specific design aspects? I couldn't, so I did my 4 years and left.

I'm currently in a PsyD program. Got my Bachelor's in Psychology last year with my G.I. Bill, and am busting my ass to get my doctorates. Money isn't great, but G.I. Bill covered all my tuition, books, and housing allowance as an undergrad, and because I was highly driven and successful, I'm basically being paid to finish the rest of my degree.

If you don't mind being treated like garbage, being screamed at, and surrendering nearly all control of your life for a couple years in exchange for an experience that will make you fit and disciplined (if you take it even somewhat seriously and aren't a whiny douchebag), its at least worth it for the college ride.

That being said, if you are depressed, anxious, suicidal or whatever, I don't recommend it. Even the most myopic things in the military will make them ten times worse.

Looks like a lot of people are starting a career in computers right now.
Hate to tell you, but the bubble is deflating. Get your money in the next 5 years 'cause the good times are ending.
It's actually been on a slow decline since the late 90's.

OK OP, gonna break my lurking silence for this one.

I wasted 4 years failing out of college twice (majored in drinking) and picking up $15k in debt. Had no idea what I wanted to do as a career, changed my major 4 times, and felt zero motivation to do anything.

After I got kicked out the second time, I joined the Navy (2011). Picked a highly technical field because it sounded interesting and lots of it counts for college credit. Also that enlistment/re-enlistment bonus paid off student loans.

It took me a decade to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, and I'm just now finishing my BS (paid for by the military, I'll still have my GI bill after I get out) in the spring to work toward the field I actually want.

tl;dr
Don't pick a career if you're not sure about it. Trade jobs are great for money and experience, but education while in the military helped me figure it out. Good luck OP.

>Didn't like aircraft maintenance because because I overthought everything. I had the mentality of an engineer, not a mechanic - I never felt safe fixing things I didn't perfectly know inside and out. When I asked questions like, "why is this system wired this way?" I was told, "you don't need to know why it is the way it is - only how to fix it." This turned me into an anxious mess... would you trust someone to pack a parachute who couldn't even tell you how it worked, or why it had specific design aspects?

Damn, that would have driven me insane too.

>computers
kek

You couldn't do my job. Probably couldn't meet the minimum standards, or pass the certifacation.

This!

Moderate pay and benefits but an easy workload and limited stress will prevail in the long run. There are huge costs to being a workaholic.

I'm 2 years into a BS in engineering. Next year I'm going to transfer for an Associates, something in electrical I'm thinking.
My tip to you is to not bite off more than you can chew, I hate my Bach's. program and can't wait to transfer back home. Try something small first. HVAC or plumbing or something.

youtube.com/watch?v=kC_RYgkkmcM

This was especially terrifying when I was tasked with hooking up liquid oxygen systems that the pilot's use to breathe, or installing squibs on the fire extinguishers for the engines. Very serious, life-saving backup systems that I indeed knew how to fix, but had virtually no meaningful knowledge about beyond their basic functioning, how to set them up, and how to perform an ops check.

I'm sure that I was imposing an unreasonable amount of mental labor on myself, but for anyone who sincerely values expertise and knowledge, I just couldn't do it and feel confident in my work. Pair that up with over a year of basic training and tech school that essentially instills the message of "one moment of complacency could kill everyone you work with", and you had a recipe for an anxiety disorder.

I grew up in a military lifestyle but, always was kept away from the military side of things. I've always saw the party side of things since I was a kid.

>Didn't like aircraft maintenance because because I overthought everything. I had the mentality of an engineer, not a mechanic - I never felt safe fixing things I didn't perfectly know inside and out. When I asked questions like, "why is this system wired this way?" I was told, "you don't need to know why it is the way it is - only how to fix it." This turned me into an anxious mess... would you trust someone to pack a parachute who couldn't even tell you how it worked, or why it had specific design aspects?
As far as aircraft maintence, I can level with you. You need to know all the "in's" and "out's" before you preform such a duty and an aircraft. However, I roll with the mentality of "oh, well I just fix things, it's not my fault." So if that aircraft failed mid-flight, I was just doing my job.

>That being said, if you are depressed, anxious, suicidal or whatever, I don't recommend it. Even the most myopic things in the military will make them ten times worse.
I really don't have an opinion on this. I grew getting yelled at. I've always been a punk ass kid never obeying shit. That's what I'm worried about but, I won't know till I take a leap somewhere.

That's fine too. Too many people think getting a job at a big tech company means they made it. It's a tough road at first and requires some experience and moving a few times before being mostly stable. If they know that and are willing to do it, best of luck to them. I just see too many people where I work complain about the process, even though they know how it works. A lot quit, making more work for us, as it takes a long time to get a new hire to get to a point of even being able to work. Add a year or 3 to get proficient.

Well, as anxiety-inducing as it may have been, the system does work to keep planes maintained with a minimum of expertise required. You probably should have been an engineer instead, though.

That's why I didn't think of big picture stuff. Trying to think of more than what I was doing did nothing to improve my work. I also worked in aviation in the military.