I can't think of a more talented acoustic guitarist

i can't think of a more talented acoustic guitarist.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QJ2vHWfssPg
youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ
youtu.be/O8Blccc0PM0?t=203
youtube.com/watch?v=pSIyKaUcJSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=CGDZdy8lDmc
youtube.com/watch?v=YkidVP0AcQ8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sandy bull
john lennon

slash

Then you've probably never really listened to any acoustic guitar music. Drake has some good lyrics but wasn't really the best guitarist.

lil wayne

john fahey
robbie basho
leo kottke
there's 3 major ones right there

it's probably some classical guitarist

This. It's nice that you're enamored by his playing and it is very beautiful indeed but you're not looking very hard.
youtube.com/watch?v=QJ2vHWfssPg

People will post the other great finger-stylists, often off of who plays fastest and most comlplex (though they would hate to admit that). But the truth is, no other guitarist has a greater sense of melody, rhythm, or aesthetics. John Fahey, great guitarist, would never be able to write a Nick Drake song.

>not Andrés Segovia or Narciso Yepes
kekkingtons

And these forgettable, penny-slot composers sure as hell couldnt either.

you won't find it in folk music that's for sure

youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ

The only objective way to compare musicians is by technical skill, deal with it. "I like the way this one sounds more than that one" is irrelevant.

You need to realize the difference between great songwriting and great guitar playing. They are not the same thing and often get mistaken for each other.

Although the way you wrote that comment comes across like you already know that.
>John Fahey, great guitarist, would never be able to write a Nick Drake song.

It's really not.
Anyone who rates a guitarist based off of how fast he can play is an idiot. I can play fast, you can probably play fast, people on YouTube can play faster. And complex? It all really shows how little respect people have for substance in music. Nick Drake was a hell of a lot closer in terms of musical genius to Beethoven than Andres Segovia ever was.

>Nick Drake was a hell of a lot closer in terms of musical genius to Beethoven than Andres Segovia ever was.
He makes pop music....

Like I said, disrespect for substance in music.

I don't understand Nick Drake fans. He's alright but I don't get why people act like he's the greatest musician/songwriter to ever exist.

But Pop will never be of high art though.

One of the things Beethoven was known for was to sit on his piano for hours and just play complex cadenzas. Does that mean he had no substance in his materials?

youtu.be/O8Blccc0PM0?t=203

Whoops meant for

You have no idea what you're trying to say.
No that means he was a disciplined. He also took long walks in the countryside with sheet music in his pocket. What's the point you're trying to make?

youtube.com/watch?v=pSIyKaUcJSQ

Because the way you say it it sounds like musicians who are technically superb are somehow unavailable to be creative or be substantial

>You have no idea what you're trying to say.
You compared the musical genius of a folk artist to Beethoven.
Nobody should take you seriously because you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

It's nice you feel a connection to his music, but that doesn't make him as talented as you want him to be.

Comparing a John Fahey song to a Nick Drake song doesn't make any sense. They showcase different ideas and reflect different influences, and for the record Fahey deliberately put technical skill and general wankery in the backseat in favor of rhythm and feeling. He's said in multiple interviews he doesn't even like playing fast. I do agree with you that he couldn't write a drake song though. I couldn't imagine him writing something like things behind the sun, but ultimately it's like comparing apples and oranges

>Fahey deliberately put technical skill and general wankery in the backseat in favor of rhythm and feeling.

You're making Nick Drake fans look really retarded with this thread. Just stop now, please.

Talented as an artist =! Talented as a guitarist

No, I'm saying a musician whose complexity is unwarranted isn't good. A bad symphony and a bad pop song are essentially the same thing.

Yep, I'm sure. Go on some more about "high art." Anyone who values Beethoven because he's considered "high art" is a fucking vapid moron.

What about reverend gary davis

youtube.com/watch?v=CGDZdy8lDmc

Well no, I was only responding to the other user who placed Fahey in the category of finger style guitarists who rely on speed and technique. That isn't to say that Fahey threw the notion of speed and technique to the wayside altogether. I'm saying he focused more on different influences, like Charley Patton and Bartok. I'm only making a point of if you're going to compare two completely different artists then you should know what they're trying to accomplish with their music and what they're about.

You must take technical proficiency into account. It's onviously not everything, but it is measurable.

Not the best acoustic guitarist but he put out 3 masterpiece albums before he died young

Woot Woot
youtube.com/watch?v=YkidVP0AcQ8

>Beethoven was known for was to sit on his piano for hours and just play complex cadenzas.
To be fair, Nick Drake was known for doing that, too. There are plenty of stories of him sitting and playing certain patterns and experimenting with tunings for hours on end. Pretty much every musician who knew him regarded him as an excellent guitarist, and many of his friends have said that lots of people were jealous of his skills.

Nick never really recorded and showoff pieces, but that doesn't mean he wasn't incredibly talented.

Don Ross is a beast

sandy bull was my first thought

>Anyone who values Beethoven because he's considered "high art" is a fucking vapid moron.
>it's another random shit user doesn't understand the actual importance of Beethoven episode