Working at a record store

I work at a local record store, specifically a Rasputin's, which has a few other locations around the area.
I can safely say I have never met more insane, stupid, and/or downright disgusting customers.
For some reason, music and movies attracts the bizarre crowd from smug dads to drooling retards dumped off in busloads.

Feel free to AMA, but this job is a trainwreck I can't crawl out of because the pain is too good

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XJsy5jJ7Dp0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxTNqYAWISs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Do you work at one of the ones in SF?

The SF one closed. I work at a different one not far from SF though.

Sorry are you advertising for bandcamp then or something?

Wasn't there one on Height and one near Union Square? If the customers at your location was bad I'd love to see the clientele at thoes loactions

do customers seek your approval of their tastes often?

I work at a local music store and can kind of relate to this. My boss got butthurt because I put Iggy Pop on the speakers. Apparently that's "too much" for the average customer.

Oh shit I didn't even know about that one. We have the other location (iirc on powel? Idk, been a while) still printed on our bag so I've just been telling customers SF is axed completely.
Not as often as you'd think. It's more of "before you were born there was this song/band" or "do you guys have (obscure artist?) I heard them online."
When they do ask I just keep it very bland and recommend entry level stuff I know the place for.
We have literally anything on our playlist. Sometimes a song might have "fuck" or "shit" but I've personally never dealt with a customer complain

I also work at a record store. Have you had any really fucking obnoxious customers who OBVIOUSLY browse Sup Forums try to lecture you about music? I fucking hate dealing with Sup Forumstants in real life.

Actually no not really. It's more old people that are obnoxious. Sup Forums fags are easily spotted and I typically won't charge them for a bag because we have a pleasant conversation or they buy something I like.

I've been at my local record store for 3 years, and I can't tell you how many times somebody has bought NMH, Kendrick, and Radiohead, or some other odd combination of records that immediately tipped me off to the fact that they post here, and then proceeded to tell me how one of them is so influential or the album of the decade or something lmao

Also, what is the weirdest or most abrasive thing you've played in your store? I'm the guy who said he hates dealing with Sup Forumstants btw.
Working at a record store gets pretty boring, and I've heard all of my favorite albums a million times because we can play literally anything we want, so sometimes I intentionally put on really crazy music and watch the customers' reactions.

One time NMH was playing and the guy I was ringing up looked up at me with this sort of explainable look that I could only peg as "awe from hearing this in the wild."
>"Is this uh.."
>"Yeah it--"
>"Nah I know. You put this on or?"
>"Would if somebody didn't already"
He then handed me too much money and told me to keep the 3 cents as "a tip."
Carnival music. I'm not fucking with you when I say my coworker put on an hour long album of carnival music. It's ear piercingly repetitive and drives me nuts if I'm sleep deprived because it makes me wonder if I'm in a dream or not. My boss likes punk rock, my coworker puts on video game music aka youtube.com/watch?v=XJsy5jJ7Dp0

Do you work at the one on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley?

That one's one of my favorite record stores in the area.

You guys aren't a bunch of pretentious hipsters like the places in the mission who charge insane prices for jacked up copies of common records.

I always find cool shit in there and you guys don't fuck my shit up with a billion layers of packaging tape on the record sleeves like Amoeba does.

No I work in newark. I went to berkeley for my interview though.
The guys there were super nice and if I went there again I'd probably just sit and hang out at the desk. Guy with the nose ring said "you NEED to keep this" to money store when I told him I was putting back a different cd. Everyone seems cool there.

is there an album or group of albums that sell really well? Either because they are really solid or because they are entry level entries that all the plebs buy

>or because they are entry level entries that all the plebs buy
This.
Led zeppelin, bruce springsteen, the new mozzy album came out and that sold kinda well but it's either they buy the normal version or try to steal the deluxe. It's typical entry level shit there's nothing crazy unless they get it from the 10 cent section and go "hurr hurr I thought the album art was funny"

I think I just bought some albums from there on discogs.

What a tard.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxTNqYAWISs

They exude pretension yeah?

music scene is more pretentious and filled with elitist douchbags than any scene on the planet.
ive never witnessed a more generally hostile group of humans in my life than the ones congregating at dive bars, record stores, and super sekret shows
is so vain and vapid.

>I work for minimum wage
ok?? lol.

winner

also academic sound design people are horrible snobs too

love trauma center
such a fun game

the worst part is that the biggest snobs that are sneering at you with their friends and 'livin the scene' are overwhelmingly in their 30s+ lmao. like yo you were supposed to grow out of that shit 10 years ago.
fuck i hate bars and shows.