Why are Capital Cities located near the oceans

Why are Capital Cities located near the oceans

Because having a coastline is an enormous advantage for trade and communication.

have you ever played Civ 5? huge bonuses for building cities adjacent to oceans and rivers.

i don't think russia received that memo

Yeah, but notice how Moscow is right on a river that runs into the Volga? It's why the fighting around Stalingrad (now Volgograd) was so brutal, whoever had the Volga had access to the Caspian Sea.

Fucking losers

Not my country kek

Jajajajajajaja

To be fair Spain has shitty coastal cities

My cunt's capital isn't

>what is Barcelona

Not just oceans, but RIVERS.

Many if not most of the world's great cities are on a RIVER of some kind. Irrigation, trade... water is life.

Paris. New York. London. St Petersburg...

If you want your city to be irrelevant, don't found it on the banks of a river.

But they have Jervis Bay, Bruce.

every cities are built on a river (or streams for villages)

at least in Europe

maybe in the US some guys built some lone suburbs in the middle of the nevada and need to pump their water from another state to keep their lawns neat and green

No, this is (generally) true in America as well. Chicago, NY. A large number of major/middling American cities are on our greatest river the Mississippi.

It's once you get out west that things get weird and start spoiling my idea somewhat.

We dun need no water out here in the west

Ahem

Yours is the classic, modern example of a planned and un-natural city, which is why it bucks the trend.

What is wrong with Cali though? Their major cities are on a coastline, now obviously saltwater can't be drinked but is California this dry? Especially the north doesn't look dry at all... or is the population just way too high to be sustainable?

well, in fact most cities began as settlements around a ford on a river

that's what happens when everybody wants his lawn, every suburb want its golf, and farmers decide to grow absurd stuff that needs insane amount of irrigation like almonds

Well, not really

>istanbul isn't next to a sea

Amsterdam? Rome? London?

that was because russia was in isolation for hundreds of years. When they got access to the sea, they immediately founded St. Petersburg also next to the sea (later bolshevicks shifted it to moscow during civil war further away form "westeners")

Lol, vulva.

hurrrrrrr

Ostia is not Rome

London is inland, are you some fresh off the boat arrival?

b8

London has sea access via the Thames though. They even have a port for cruise ships

The thread premise and the map was about cities near the ocean mate, didn't specify that you had to literally be able to piss out a window into the sea.
London is about twenty miles from Tilbury where the Thames opens up into the North Sea.
Fair enough if Rome isn't Ostia but it's hardly far off and follows the same line along the Tiber into the med.

a shitty city
what the fuck was the point of your post lol

Okay, how about Ibiza?

Guess you never heard about Beijing dude

I'm doubting if Americans understand what capital is correctly.

That's not in Spain, it's in Catalonia

It's a waste that the better city isn't the capital. They should give it to Greece instead

Pretty sure wellington was chosen to be the capital because it was in the middle of NZ, I don't think it had anything to do with being coastal. A google search could prove me wrong though.

>what is Barcelona
Spain's worst city

And it's still better than a bunch of favelas in the beach like Salvador and Rio de Janeiro.