ITT: "Amazing" Bands That Are Actually Complete Shit

What are those bands all your friends and music critics you follow talk up that actually suck more than a vacuum?

Bikini Kill: Everything Poison Girls did right, Kathleen Hanna and company did horribly wrong. Not only is their "feminism" so superficial, trite and ultimately insincere, the music itself isn't remotely engaging or powerful. What's up with all the idiots who worship at their altar? Is it the Kurt Cobain connection? Is it the time and place where every idiot alt band from Washington suddenly got the spotlight? Why do people find their music so compelling?

You're going to tell me anything Bikini Kill ever wrote somehow sounds better than this?
youtube.com/watch?v=KnMzSNeNRXw
youtube.com/watch?v=aAB6U_LiB48
youtube.com/watch?v=HSa37cai0tk
youtube.com/watch?v=Vp2bCLri2GE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DGovCafPQAE
youtube.com/watch?v=n-m4IHAz4Uk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Homophobic_slurs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I agree with this. I always put it down to the fact that they were the most radical politically in the Riot Grrrl thing and therefore got spoken of the most.

Dude, the comparison to Poison Girls doesn't even make any sense except the thematic connection. The better comparison would be the Raincoats since they directly influenced Kurt and Hanna.

And, of course, Bikini Kill weren't really the most exciting band out there but the one with the most clout. And that's a good thing in and of itself.

>And, of course, Bikini Kill weren't really the most exciting band out there but the one with the most clout. And that's a good thing in and of itself.

How?

Because it was about the message getting out there - and they achieved that. Besides what the fuck does that even mean - "their feminism is superficial, trite and ultimately insincere". That's a thousand fedoras all tipped at once.

>hurrr fedora durrr

If your art isn't compelling, your message doesn't mean jackshit. Her voice is grating and her music doesn't have one catchy hook.

As to why I question her authenticity, remember how everyone got so bent because she went full shill for Hillary Clinton? I wasn't surprised at all. If anything, it's par the course for someone like Kathleen. Vi Subversa wouldn't be caught dead shilling for any Labour candidate, and she'd been making political music since the '70s.

literally any metal band

Enjoy your (You)

i don't give a fuck

i am blessed enough to recognize metal as trash, that's all i need

Greenday.
They had a few good songs, but the acclaim they have received over the years far outweighs their merit, so much so that i consider them to be one of the most overrated acts of the last twenty years.

Talking Heads
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Daft Punk
Led Zeppelin (can anyone really sit through a whole one of their albums?)
Nirvana
post-GKMC Kendrick Lamar
Soundgarden
Beastie Boys (probably the most dated sounding band of all time)
Sonic Youth (Incinerate, Teenage Riot and Unmade Bed are the only songs I like)
Gorillaz (only good for the singles)
Rage Against the Machine
Nine Inch Nails
Massive Attack
Guns N Roses
Frank Zappa
King Crimson
Run The Jewels
anyone in Wu-Tang except Ghostface or Raekwon
Smashing Pumpkins (only good for singles, albums are ruined by filler)
The War on Drugs
Tool
Grateful Dead
Phish
Tame Impala
The Prodigy
Autechre
Metallica
post-Blood on the Tracks Bob Dylan
Mogwai
Grimes
Danny Brown (Atrocity Exhibition was shit)
any prog rock other than The Mars Volta
LCD Soundsystem
Talk Talk

Bait or dumbass. Probably both

>Bait or dumbass. Probably both
It's not "bait" and I'm not a "dumbass", please refrain from posting.

Knows his shit better than you, user.

>Knows his shit better than you, user.
Thank you for the post, but it's "her shit".

>King Crimson
>Any prog besides The Mars Volta

Your list is bad and you should feel bad.

Prog is bad, it's for "people" who prefer listening to instruments over listening to music.

LCD Soundsystem.

Can't sit through any of their albums, they just never click.

>LCD Soundsystem.
I'm convinced they pay Pitchfork for the BNM's, I've never heard anyone once talk about them in real life and I used to work at a record store

I honestly (read: not in a contrarian way) think Radiohead haven't recorded a single album that isn't whiny, neurotic, self-indulgent bullshit. They sound like a shit version of Oasis drunk on their own lofty narratives which aren't half as masterfully crafted as they intend them to be. I hate the word pretentious but it pretty much describes Radiohead.

Your statement is retarded as fuck

>Your statement is retarded as fuck
How so?

How do you prefer to listen to instruments over music? That doesnt make sense

>How do you prefer to listen to instruments over music? That doesnt make sense
I have no idea why they do, ask someone who actually somehow enjoys prog

>Massive Attack
Blue lines, mezzanine, and heligoland were pretty darn good, but the rest kinda is dull.

>autechre
Dude Exai was fantastic, like my top 10 albums. Literary everything else that they have ever released was basically synth scatting though so yeah I kinda get it.

>daft punk
Homework is one of the best 90s dance albums ever, and probably most influencial electronic music in the past 10-20 years, but it's been a pretty steady decline. Their recent work with pop stars is basically trash.

>nirvana
Nirvana is genuine, korn-tier cringe

>grimes
Never understood the appeal, I thought it was okay

>everything else
As a fan of 80% of this list, yeah pretty much. I love groups like NIN, but they probably have less than 30 songs that aren't Trent half assingly fucking around, yet they're super popular. Which is kind of the feeling I got when the thread is about "artist that everyone say are fantastic but aren't." Same thing with the artists I mentioned above, they're good, but not consistently good.

I'm going out on a limb here but Judas Priest. Also, how do I subscribe to this sub? I've been searching for the button all day.

>Also, how do I subscribe to this sub? I've been searching for the button all day.
You have to go back

freddie gibbs aside from pinata

David Bowie

>literally any metal band
This.

>David Bowie
"no"

Porcupine Tree
Lou Reed
Townes Van Zandt
White Light From the Mouth of Infinity Swans
Sigur Rós
Nirvana
Prince
Neil Young
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Genesis
Wilco
Brian Eno
The Who
John Lennon
Judas Priest
The Beach Boys
Motörhead
Thelonious Monk
The Clash
Ennio Morricone
Curtis Mayfield
Nick Drake
Björk
Modest Mouse
Duke Ellington
The Flaming Lips
The Velvet Underground
Van der Graaf Generator
Arcade Fire
Stevie Wonder
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Bob Dylan
Talking Heads
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Johnny Cash
Otis Redding
Herbie Hancock
John Coltrane
The Kinks
The Replacements
Leonard Cohen
The Stooges
The Allman Brothers Band
King Crimson
Wire
Thin Lizzy
Death
Sly & The Family Stone
A Tribe Called Quest
Van Morrison
Kraftwerk
Bob Marley
Grateful Dead
Tom Waits
The Smiths
Pixies
Depeche Mode
Slayer
Elliott Smith
Jethro Tull
Weezer
Big Star
Tool
Yes
Pavement
Elvis Costello
The Band
Miles Davis
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
Deep Purple
Kate Bush
Talk Talk
Ramones
The Beatles
Aretha Franklin
Joy Division
The Doors
Can
OutKast
Sonic Youth
Portishead
Bruce Springsteen
Fela Kuti
R.E.M.
The Smashing Pumpkins
Megadeth
Frank Zappa
Opeth
Metallica
Jimi Hendrix
The Cure
Kyuss
Charles Mingus
Iron Maiden
The Rolling Stones
David Bowie
Black Sabbath
Marvin Gaye
Led Zeppelin

Try-hard

You overdid it, it's not even bait anymore

What part of this did you not understand, faggots? Every single one of the ones I listed are complete and utter shit.

>What part of this did you not understand, faggots?
Why the homophobia?

>Herbie Hancock
You've gone too far, user.

>Prince
>The Velvet Underground
>Johnny Cash
>King Crimson
>Kraftwerk
>Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
I can agree with a lot of these, but you must have brain damage if you think these suck

good post

Disagree but whatever

The clash of course

Capn Jazz. The only song I liked was Little League but the rest are tedious to sit through

they have

that's not the point, saying someone prefers "listening to instruments over listening to music" makes zero damn sense. either refine what you mean to something coherent or try to understand what they like and why

>saying someone prefers "listening to instruments over listening to music" makes zero damn sense
How does it not make sense? Do you think all sounds are music?

Radiohead.
I will never understand why Sup Forums is so bonkers for these guys.

instruments make music, so listening to instruments = listening to music
Are you attacking instrumental music? Or sound collage stuff? If the latter, then it hardly relates to prog.

>instruments make music
yes, but not everything that comes out of an instrument is music

> listening to instruments = listening to music
wrong

>Are you attacking instrumental music? Or sound collage stuff?
no and no, just prog

>not everything that comes out of an instrument is music
This is only questionable if you're thinking of Berio's Sequenzas or other pieces that push instruments to their extremes. In any case, I have never heard a single prog song that does anything remotely close to Berio (could be wrong I guess), so I'm not sure why you're attacking prog from this angle.

>This is only questionable if you're thinking of Berio's Sequenzas or other pieces that push instruments to their extremes.
or prog...

show me a prog song that does anything like this
youtube.com/watch?v=DGovCafPQAE
or this
youtube.com/watch?v=n-m4IHAz4Uk

you can hate prog all you like, but if you think that something that uses tonal/modal harmony and guitars in both chordal and melodic ways is not music, then I can't imagine what you think of the above two links. well I can actually, you'll hate it guaranteed (I don't really like it either).

Delete this fag

>show me a prog song that does anything like this
Why is what you linked the benchmark for determining whether something coming out of an instrument is music?

>Delete this fag
Why the homophobia?

>Acting like a fag and being called out on it is the same as hating gay
Retard

>>Acting like a fag and being called out on it is the same as hating gay
>Retard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Homophobic_slurs

>He thinks being called fag is the same as the gay slur
Go back to safespacelewhitesareevilqueercorexDddit

If you're going to list so many bands, explain why you think each and every one of them is shit. If you can't, you're just baiting responses from fans.

>Big Star isn't the greatest American band

This is the wrongest opinion I have ever seen

If this is what you think is actually complete shit, I'm genuinely curious what you consider to be good.

Really casting a wide net there huh

>Really casting a wide net there huh
Critics are wrong about most things.

>names a bunch of well-known bands
>knows his shit

What does being well-known have to do with it?

Because it doesn't mean user "knows his shit"

No one disses Herbie Nigga and lives

LCD Soundsystem
Arcade Fire
Father John Misty

I find 'classic' bands like the doors and the velvet underground aswell to be more influential rather than good and stuff I like to listen to, aside from a few songs here and there.

Because compared to all of their contemporaries at the time they came out with an album, they sounded miles better and have maintained their replay value, their production quality is top notch.

>The Beatles
>Pink Floyd
>Frank Zappa
>Grateful Dead
>Metallica
>any prog rock other than The Mars Voltra
Delete this now you fucking faggot

You pretty much summed up my opinion of them, in a more tame manner.

Basically what I thought before they suddenly just clicked, now they're one of my favourite bands.

Reddit may be more your speed faggot

>Judas Priest
>Kyuss
>Iron Maiden
>Black Sabbath
user why do you hate good metal?

>lol i just named every artist ever