Im just curious. i heard keeps chat logs but not video/sound. for how long do they keep chat logs...

im just curious. i heard keeps chat logs but not video/sound. for how long do they keep chat logs? and if they are removed/edited are they also removed and edited on the skype servers?

>logs

What you're suggesting is physically impossible. The amount of storage space required to store every single video stream on skype would probably require enough HDs to fill up the entirety of the world in like a couple weeks.

not talking about video, talking about chat alone.

Pretty doubtful. Why would they store it? 99.9% of the time it's nothing useful.

user, the sole reason that Microsoft purchased Skype was to re-architect it so that it could be wire tapped.

Skype before Microsoft was a decentralized, peer to peer system with good encryption.

Skype now is all client server based, so *all* your communication goes via one of their servers.

They'll keep as much as they want, need or are required to keep.

Do you think they paid $8.5 Billion dollars for a video chat platform without some really good incentives from No Such Agency? Purchasing Skype also put the final nail in their mobile phone platform, as all the mobile carriers ran screaming from it at that time.

so basically they DO store messages?

Microsoft under Satay Nutella has a raging hard on for "data" and will extract data from any source they can. If you're stupid enough to be running Windows 10, it reports back everything you do on their computer that they allow you to use. The App you launch, the time you launch it, the time you use it.

Turn on the wrong setting and it sends what you type back to them as well. Don't dare turn on Cortana.

They use the data to train neural nets though. It's not really "stored" for use against you and the data is cleared pretty often.

Some of us have close to 40 years of experience dealing with Microsoft. If you're happy believing that, then good for you.

doesn't this violate the constitution? even if it is the internet im sure it violates alot of rights.

Realistically your data is buried among around well over a billion of other peoples data. It's the same reason why they say a VPN logging data is useless. To track down a single user is a ridiculously difficult feat.

The US government took on Microsoft back in the late 90's ... and lost. Do you think Microsoft give a shit about anything in the bill of rights?

If you have a spare few hours, read the EULA that comes with Windows.

the data that is sent back to them is all automated. no one manually checks that shit and you know it.

If it is sent back and stored, then it can be checked later on, right?

not when they clear it. like another user said, its physically impossible to store the data of millions of people. it has to be regularly cleaned. disabling cortana clears alot of the data that was sent while she was on, it even tells you that. you need to remember that its not just windows they are storing data for, think xbox live. it HAS to be deleted eventually.

They use it to train their ANNs so the data is cleared probably on at least a monthly basis.
I believe they use recursive ANNs so it would hardly surprise me if they clear daily.

It's automated and the data is cleared automatically as well. I highly doubt anyone ever actually even looks at the data.

user let me ask you a question. what data do you think they store or is even worth storing for all of eternity like you think they do?

the data Microsoft uses for cortana in particular is no different than cookies that store your data on a website. that shit gets cleared on the regular and has to be constantly updated by the user who continues to use the data sharing services which can be turned off in privacy settings.

I think this is the first time I've come across these online reputation managers I've heard so much about. Pretty surprised they'd lurk around here though.

please answer

does VPN protect u from microsoft?

I don't work for Microsoft but I worked for a broker which used client data for training ANNs so the broker could trade against or with their clients (this is common practice in the industry).
We used multiple types of ANNs but ultimately the data is discarded. Yes, we used their location data and whatever else as a means of helping ourselves out but the data was never looked at. We trained our ANNs via automated methods and the data was deleted after the ANN was trained.

Not suggesting that data is held for eternity. eg, health record data is life + 99 years, financial for 7 years, depending on country.

A simple fact is that Microsoft is beholden to governments around the world, who can threaten lucrative single supplier contracts. If a government decides it wants new data collected from as many users as possible, Microsoft will ask how high to jump. Then a "critical" update will roll in and the end user is well and truly buggered.

Do you find it odd that they infiltrated, destroyed, purchased and then wound down the only non US controlled smart phone platform?

And your brokerage firm would be about the size of a bees dick in comparison to Microsoft. Nor does it control the entire user computing platform from the soup to the nuts.

You got client data, yes, they are your clients and your firm has policies around data retention.

Microsoft can literally collect anything they please from your use of a computer, their online properties etc. Their data retention policies are not public.

Only if you don't use any of their software or services.

so according to you the answer is yes, skype messages are stored somewhere at Microsoft for however long.

so can you answer the question in the OP? does deleting/edting a message on skype also edits/deletes the data stored on the servers?

Well, without seeing the code, I'd say yes, with caveats.

Does Skype sync message lists between clients like desktop and mobile? If you edit a message on one and the other updates AND the recipient of the message also gets the update, then yes, it's updated on the servers. Would it change the single copy of the message or create a new version?

Deletion may be as simple as setting a "deleted" flag on the message so that it disappears from the clients.

They'd probably do a bunch of keyword matching etc to see why you're deleting that message as well.

>paranoia much?

Yes, probably.

Our data policies were not public either. We didn't explicitly state the brokerage firm trades against our clients, it's just common knowledge that brokers do that as a means of completing clients trades.
Collecting data is not that big of a deal, especially these days where 99.9% of the time it goes toward training ANNs.

You're not that special, you're just a paranoid schizo.

if you delete a microsoft account ALL data for that account is also deleted within a month. the only reason it wouldnt be would be because government order or something seized said data before its deleted by automation on the servers.

anone telling you otherwise are just paranoid anti window 10 fags that think Microsoft actually gives a shit about your data. the data is only used to bombard your asshole with ads, lets be real here.